Forums

BMW - "We’re in the midst of an electric assault"

BMW - "We’re in the midst of an electric assault"

https://electrek.co/2017/04/26/bmw-fear-tesla-rally-employees-ev-revolut...

“Inside a bright auditorium at an abandoned airfield near Munich, rows of men and women gaze at images flashing by on a giant screen: a Mercedes sedan; Porsche and Jaguar SUVs; the face of Elon Musk. “We’re in the midst of an electric assault,” the presenter intones as the Tesla chief’s photo pops up. “This must be taken very seriously.”
unquote

i'm lost for words. What Elon is doing is amazing!

RedShift | 26. huhtikuu 2017

Heh heh. Stop doing weak sauce products like the 330e, or, to a lesser extent the i3.

Where's your Tesla "killer"?

reed_lewis | 26. huhtikuu 2017

Except for Chevrolet with the Bolt, every other EV that the manufacturers are pushing now on a production level are hybrid. That may be acceptable for some, but to Tesla drivers, that is simply not even remotely acceptable.

Everything else that is a pure EV is on the drawing board and not even remotely close to being a purchasable product.

Now give the current manufacturers 5-10 years and we may see some useable stuff, but hopefully Tesla will have moved far beyond their current offerings so the legacy manufacturers will always be playing catch-up.

...Sorry. I meant to say >200 mile EV. the Leaf, and others are EVs but their range is simply not sufficient to become a usable regular vehicle for the majority of the population.

KP in NPT | 26. huhtikuu 2017

*taps together fingers* The Master Plan. ;-)

"The audience is composed of BMW Group employees flown in for a combination pep rally/horror film intended to make them afraid about the future of the industry. The takeaway: The market is shifting in ways that were unimaginable just a few years ago, and BMW must adapt. The subtext is a recognition that the company has gone from leader to laggard."

http://www.autonews.com/article/20170426/COPY01/304269933/bmw-uses-fear-...

El Mirio | 26. huhtikuu 2017

I read in some comments that certain countries have dropped subsidies for PHEV's due to evidence that owners fail to actually plug them in.

PHEV you have to plug in AND fuel, it should be clear that PHEV's are a cumbersome complicated none-solution.

I own a Volt (my wife drives it), and for her it is a perfect solution. She is able to drive back and forth to work every day without using a drop of gasoline. For the vast majority of her driving, she is using EV. But every now and then, she needs additional range that a mass market eV does not provide. Once every few months she will need to drive 150 miles before coming back home. Yes, there are charging stations, etc. but they are not always where she is going to be.

So for her, the Volt is perfect. But she is good at plugging it in every day.

lar_lef | 26. huhtikuu 2017

Giant screen reminiscent of 1984 Two Minute Hate

DonS | 26. huhtikuu 2017

Hybrids are flexible, but still require oil changes and emissions tests. One of my top five favorite things about my Tesla is I NEVER have to take it to one of those annoying emissions tests where the interaction looks like, "Your car's computer told our computer that your car runs fine. Credit card please."

SamO | 26. huhtikuu 2017

Volt was the amphibian of the automotive world. But their niche is about to close.

Eventually the niche will close, but I predict it will be about 2-3 years before it does. Meanwhile my wife is very happy. And as everyone knows: "Happy Wife, Happy Life"

SamO | 26. huhtikuu 2017

@reed_lewis,

I agree completely with your timeline. They made sense for one brief instant in time, and with diminshing cell/pack costs, the ICE portion can be removed and full EV will be the norm.

georgehawley.fl.us | 26. huhtikuu 2017

Perhaps BMW management was inspired by this classic video
https://youtu.be/daW9XmG9krc

brando | 26. huhtikuu 2017

Love it GeorgeHawley +1

https://cleantechnica.com/2016/01/15/1-large-luxury-car-in-us-tesla-mode...
https://cleantechnica.com/2016/02/10/tesla-dominates-large-luxury-car-ma...
https://cleantechnica.com/2016/07/07/tesla-model-3-already-eating-massiv...

The Germans seem to be getting it. But show how long it takes them to move.
Bob Lutz, not so much until Bob's VLF electric is ready to compete against Model S, interesting to watch his story change.

ken.hixson | 27. huhtikuu 2017

The Germans, Japanese, and even the Chinese get the evolution to BEVs, unfortunately for american auto workers, the future doesn't look so good.

Lith I M | 27. huhtikuu 2017

Who decided 200 miles of range is some magic number?
The number that means the most to me is the average miles driven per day for roughly 85% of drivers in the United States is about 38 miles. There are plenty of cars currently on the market that fit that formula.
Drive the car, charge, drive, repeat.
Stayed charged my friend.

georgehawley.fl.us | 27. huhtikuu 2017

There will be plenty of American auto workers building BEVs if Tesla is successful and GM and Ford follow suit.

Tarla's Driver | 27. huhtikuu 2017

200 miles of range is a magic number. That's the distance I have to drive to visit my inlaws. I like my inlaws. It's a short enough drive that I don't want to stop to charge on the way there. If they lived much further away, I would probably want to stop for a break anyway, so needing to charge wouldn't be a big deal.

So seriously, the point of a longer range (200+ miles) is that you never have to worry about extra miles for unexpected errands or running the heat during your regular daily use, and you don't have to stop too frequently when taking trips. A shorter range simply isn't practical for trips and forces daily driving to be more strategic.

vp09 | 27. huhtikuu 2017

>>> georgehawley.fl.us | April 27, 2017 said: "There will be plenty of American auto workers building BEVs if Tesla is successful and GM and Ford follow suit."

Will there?

Are GM and Ford and whomever interested in building EVs? Please tell us why? So that they can destroy their business model? Just asking. Not attacking you Sir. Just trying to understand why you think GM would want to build cars that destroy the work that the rest of their workers do.

vp09 | 27. huhtikuu 2017

George Hawley, imagine it is 1905 or 1910. There are all these carriage makers. Scores, hundreds of them.

Someone says, there will be plenty of American carriage workers building internal combustion engine cars if Henry Ford is successful."

Red Sage ca us | 27. huhtikuu 2017

Who decided? Originally, EV Naysayers did, by saying EVs were curious experiments for hopped up golfcarts, but that it was fruitless without at least 200 miles of range. Then, once Tesla proved it could be done with the Roadster? They moved the goalposts to 300 miles. When the Model S was announced with an intended 320 mile range, which was reigned in to 300 miles at a steady 55-to-65 MPH, but EPA rating systems were changed in the interim, so the Model S 85 was officially ranked at only 265 miles range. The EV Naysayers rejoiced, until someone drove a Model S over 400 miles on a single charge. Yet they still refused to accept it was all about HOW, WHEN, and WHERE you drive the car, insisting that no one should have to 'drive like a grandma' to achieve superior range.

It didn't help that Tesla Enthusiasts bought the Model S in the exact opposite proportion that Tesla had anticipated. Instead of the Model S 40 being their biggest seller for frugal buyers, people primarily got the Model S 85 instead. Some for the performance, others for the banishment of expected 'range anxiety'. Once orders for Model S 40 dropped below 5% of reservations that were steadily growing, Tesla discontinued it.

Per Elon Musk, the Customers had spoken. No one wanted to buy a sub-200 mile EV. Today, the Model S 100D and Model S P100D now legitimately exceed an official EPA range rating of 300 miles, at 335 and 315 miles, respectively.

georgehawley.fl.us | 28. huhtikuu 2017

10 years ago Nokia dominated the worldwide cellphone market with 44% share. Then Apple changed the business model with a new form of cellphone. Nokia no longer makes cell phones.

Tesla changed the business model with a new form of car. Folks in the US alone buy something like 7 or 8 million cars a year. Tesla is nowhere near able to build enough cars to dominate that market as it shifts to BEVs. If GM and Ford don't step up, overseas competitors will. Many Asian and European countries have car factories in the US. It will make sense for many to build them in the US as they now build ICEVs here.

Even with all the production robots, car building still employs lots of people. A visit to Tesla in Fremont is shows that to be true. All the wiring and interior details of the cars are installed by people. The employee parking lots have long since overflowed. Lots of jobs.

jordanrichard | 28. huhtikuu 2017

Well, back in the day, the horse drawn carriage makers simply started working at the car plants, since all cars back then were open top wood carriages, but with engines. That is why they are called "cars", as in short for carriages, albeit horseless. If anything, it was the stables and blacksmiths that saw the decline in their respective trades.

brando | 30. huhtikuu 2017

https://ycharts.com/indicators/auto_sales

15-18 million per year in US 80-100 million world wide