Forums

"Hot" Dog = Broken Window in a Tesla?

"Hot" Dog = Broken Window in a Tesla?

On July 1, Indiana enacts a new law that it's lawful to break a window on a car if the samaritan believes a dog in a car is in distress. I'm sure the general public is unaware that the cabin AC can be running and the occupant dog could be cool as a cucumber...yet they break the window to "save" the dog?? Then what??

eeb9 | 30. kesäkuu 2017

Put a note on the window...?

For my part, even with the AC I'd be hesitant to leave a pup in the car unattended - too many things can happen (including someone not noticing or reading your note!)

If they see a dog and break the window in good faith as an act of kindness, even if the AC is going, I can't even begin to *guess* how the insurance companies would deal with it...

joemar10 | 30. kesäkuu 2017

I routinely leave my dog in my 2010 Prius with the windows down around 4 inches, the doors locked and the AC on. Never for more than 15 or 20 minutes though. I leave a yellow, "AC on" sign in the drivers side window and one on the dash. In reality, with the cars built in solar roof powered ventilation fan, the dog would be fine with just that. Ambient temp. inside stays around outside temp. I absolutely love my SPCA Border Collie-Greyhound mix and spoil her in many ways. I am retired and we are always together. I would never do anything that I thought would harm her.

JPPTM | 30. kesäkuu 2017

Put appropriate notes inside the windows. Find a good large easy to read thermometer that you can stick onto the inside of the window to show interior temperature. Monitor your Tesla app continuously--and pray. I have a dog--and would never trust the technology fully, and thus never leave the dog alone in the car.

I routinely leave my dog in my 2010 Prius with the windows down around 4 inches, the doors locked and the AC on. Never for more than 15 or 20 minutes though. I leave a yellow, "AC on" sign in the drivers side window and one on the dash. In reality, with the cars built in solar roof powered ventilation fan, the dog would be fine with just that. Ambient temp. inside stays around outside temp. I absolutely love my SPCA Border Collie-Greyhound mix and spoil her in many ways. I am retired and we are always together. I would never do anything that I thought would harm her.

Don't know how I got double posted, especially with another post between them. Technology!

TeslaTap.com | 30. kesäkuu 2017

One solution - move out of Indiana! (ok, just joshing).

Signs are likely the best approach in any state.

Jcollins | 01. heinäkuu 2017

I've three signs, one for each side and one for the windshield it says not only that the AC is on 74 degrees, but that I'm also monitoring it from my phone. We dog lovers may react before we think to look for a sign on the other side of the car!

Tropopause | 01. heinäkuu 2017

Own a terror-invoking guard dog that nobody would dare break into your car to "save". ;)

kaffine | 01. heinäkuu 2017

Easy solution don't leave your dog in the car. Seems simple to me.

Rocky_H | 03. heinäkuu 2017

@Tropopause, Quote: "Own a terror-invoking guard dog that nobody would dare break into your car to "save". ;)"

Also known as the "inverse Cujo" maneuver.

TeslaTap.com | 06. heinäkuu 2017

Then again, if you have a dog like this, I'm not sure many would break your glass to save it: https://peopledotcom.files.wordpress.com/2017/06/ugliest-dog-1.jpg?w=669

DTsea | 06. heinäkuu 2017

People let their dog ride in their Tesla?

annamirtu | 20. heinäkuu 2017

Funny, but such a situation happened with me this May, in Canada, where im actualy living. I`ve just received mу Tesla from the USA (who are interested - through these guys https://clearit.ca/) and the next day, leaving my Spitz at the car for 10 minutes, turned, and found no glass, no Spitz .... So be careful what you are leaving in your car =)

SamO | 20. heinäkuu 2017