Forums

Deactivate seatbelt alarm

Deactivate seatbelt alarm

No judgement please.

Anyone know if the seat belt warning turns off after awhile or is there a way to deactivate completely. Or does it keep making noise forever?

Thanks

noleaf4me | 06. tammikuu 2018

wear your seatbelt.....that will turn it off..

DTsea | 06. tammikuu 2018

the warning turns off as soon as you buckle up.

jordanrichard | 06. tammikuu 2018

Short answer, no. Long answer, no. Shady answer, sure. Just go under the seat, start cutting wires until the noise stops......

Orrrr, buckle the seat belt in and then sit on the seat belt.

Xerogas | 06. tammikuu 2018

Same way you turn off airbags and disable brakes

Yodrak. | 06. tammikuu 2018

Nothing is forever - the warning will turn off when it burns out, but you will have killed yourself long before then.

Yodrak. | 06. tammikuu 2018

Or, as an alternative to jr's practical approach, take the buckle off the belt (or find a comparable buckle at a salvage yard) and plug the buckle in leaving everything else intact for the day when you come to your senses.

RichardKJ | 06. tammikuu 2018

A seat belt extension works.

lilbean | 06. tammikuu 2018

You could buckle it behind you. That works. Of course, understand that you could die doing that.

SCCRENDO | 06. tammikuu 2018

I guess we live in a nanny state. The nanny wants to keep us safe. You asked that we not be judgemental. Sorry. It’s not possible. They have special awards for guys like you. They are called the Darwin Awards.

TeslaTap.com | 06. tammikuu 2018

Making no judgments (others have already done a good job at that) - in the US and likely most other countries, it's operation is highly regulated by the government. The Tesla seat belt warning operation is identical to all other current makes and models. You could buy a 1960's vehicle to avoid the seat belt warnings, or perhaps even get a car without seat belts from that era. Otherwise, your Tesla or any other car made in the last 20+ years will have a seat belt warning system.

dgstan | 06. tammikuu 2018

There's a hundred reasons why someone might want to drive without wearing their seatbelt. The OP was asking a simple question, which was "is there a way to deactivate the seatbelt warning", not "should I drive without my seatbelt" nor "is it safe to drive without a seatbelt".

I can turn off the alarm in my Prius, can I do it in my Model 3?

phil | 06. tammikuu 2018

TeslaTap.com | January 6, 2018 "You could buy a 1960's vehicle..."

Or one 30-40 years newer than that. My '98 Lexus rings a bell for 3 seconds after I turn the ignition key, and remains silent after that. Actually helpful, rather than bossy and annoying.

Liba | 06. tammikuu 2018

Truly amazing that people can't help themselves at an opportunity to be Self righteous. Good for you. You're special! So glad the genes that will survive will be yours and so deserving at that.

Exactly. I can stop it on the Prius and other Toyotas. Does anyone have any useful info? Thanks

cornellio | 06. tammikuu 2018

@Liba: So true-- people are amazing! Take a piece of thin but strong cardboard and hold it against the seat belt clip then use a pen to trace the shape of the clip. Cut out the cardboard to match the shape so you can insert into the buckle. I came up with this years ago and it works pretty well.

On my 2016 Leaf there's no audible alarm, just a light on the dashboard.

@dgstan, you are right. All these judgments are reactions to separate issues. I feel it's perfectly reasonable question and I too would like to find a way to turn off the seat belt alarm.

@Liba, I truly understand and also would like a way to deactivate the sound. I had a passenger who absolutely refused to wear the seat belt so it would have been nice to shut it off.

Well the regulations are more complex than I expected, with automakers often going further than the regs. Here's a good starting point: https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2010/06/29/2010-15773/federal-... It even covered different countries.

That said, I just went out and tested my S. The audible portion stays on for 8 seconds or so, and the flashing icon remains on longer (didn't see if it goes out after a while). I expect the M3 works the same way. So good news - it works like you want! Sorry I didn't test it out earlier.

I didn't test the passenger side, so it may operate differently as Libean points out.

Liba | 06. tammikuu 2018

Thanks guys. Really good info.

Did the audible Beep ever come back after 8 seconds? Does the flashing light stay on forever? I'm guessing probably.

@TT, that was actually in my ICE.

jordanrichard | 06. tammikuu 2018

Liba, the beep does return.

Though I won’r Drive/ride in a car without a seatbelt on, I do agree that it should be a driver’s choice.

TT - Thanks for testing. Tesla's implementation sounds fine as far as I'm concerned.

If the beep returns I guess the best option is cardboard insert like I use. What I need is a 3D printer. The cardboard inserts where out after awhile.

@dgstan (and @liba) - I'm am curious - why no seat belt? I've been driving for about 40 years and can't think of a single time I needed to drive without a seat belt. A seat belt actually saved my life in one bad crash - on a car before air bags existed. I would have gone right through the windshield without the seat belt. I can see maybe a delivery person who gets in and out many times going slow on a rural road, but hundreds of reasons?

TheChad | 06. tammikuu 2018

I think Liba is going to be the first to find out what happens when you total your Model 3. Do you get bumped up in line or have to wait a while? Hopefully he/she will still be alive to find out. Without a seatbelt I say those aren’t good odds, but Tesla does have an excellent crash rating.

My police officer friends don’t wear seatbelts. I also know respiratory therapists that smoke and doctors that refuse to see a doctor.

TT -

One example happens to me daily. At work, I charge my Plug-in Prius in a dedicated EV spot with a charging station. After about an hour or so, it is fully charged. Being the nice guy I am, I go down and move my car to another, non-EV, spot so other people can use the charging spot. Depending on the time of day or where I want to park, that other spot may be 10 feet away or may be on the other side of the parking garage (or even outside the garage), so I may drive at 5 MPH for two minutes. Two minutes of slow-then-fast beepbeepbeepbeep of the Prius is enough to drive me nuts.

The hand-wringers here could certainly argue - and I'm sure they will - that you need your seatbelt at even 5 MPH. Others will undoubtedly exclaim they always put on their seatbelt when they're so much as backing their car out of their garage to wash it.

Obviously, I choose to wear my seatbelt any time in traffic, but I would still like the freedom to decide when I need it and when I don't.

Finally, some are talking about "tricking" the system by inserting objects into the buckle to make the car think the seatbelt is fastened. That's not what I want to do at all. I want to wear the seatbelt when conditions require it and not have to fiddle around with anything extra.

ReD eXiLe ms us | 06. tammikuu 2018

It is so much fun to be told I am 'self righteous' or called a 'hand wringer' or even when my attitude toward safety is branded as being a proponent of the 'Nanny State' principal.

I have two Friends who will gladly put forth the very same testimonial: 'SEAT BELTS WORK!'

One was pulling out of the driveway at work in his Volkswagen Beetle and was broadsided by a BRINK'S armored truck and woke up in the hospital. Broken leg, alive.

The other was in a multicar pileup in his 2nd Generation Mazda RX-7 on the 91 FWY and woke up in the hospital. Fractured collar bone, alive.

My own daredevil days ended when someone yelled out, "Get down from there boy, before you break your neck!" Still, I remain a big fan of the Knievel family. Helmets work, too.

kaffine | 06. tammikuu 2018

You have 3 options.

The first option you have ruled out which is wearing your seat belt.

Option 2 is using a seat belt extender. Get the shortest one you can. They can reduce the effectiveness of the seat belt if they are too long especially for smaller people that don't extend the seat belt very far. This option lets you wear the seat belt when you want but the reminder will never sound as it thinks the seat belt is always on. This is the easiest way and all you have to do is remove the extender and the car is back to normal.

Option 3 is finding the wires that go to the seat belt sensor and short them. Note use a wiring diagram to make sure you have the right wires. There are also air bag wiring around the seat and seat belt. Again this will let you use the seat belt if you want but will disable the warning. I am speaking from general automotive not Tesla specific info would need to verify that they are just using a normal switch and expect a short on those wires when the seat belt is connected.

As far as passengers not wearing their seat belt, that isn't an issue in my car. You wear your seat belt or you walk.

Liba | 06. tammikuu 2018

drove my first model 3 today and the system seems to be as described in the model s. beep returns and light keeps flashing.

the first thing i said in this topic was no judgement and the "adults" here can't even restrain themselves a bit. its a good laugh more than anything. anyone who sits in los angeles traffic for hours moves a max of 3-5 mph. on a hot day the seat belt in conjunction with your sweat can start to chafe. are you going to tell me it's unreasonable not to wear a belt at those speeds, going straight, with no chance of someone t boning you? seriously, can you offer a counterpoint?

What happened to option #4?

Tesla putting in a switch to turn it off like other car manufacturers do? That would be the best option. That would work for everyone, right?

Shock | 06. tammikuu 2018

I hate it in my vehicle. I wish it were possible to turn it off. I had a 2010 prius and can you believe that mother effer used to have an external beep sound when backing up? Like a truck (not as loud, though). It was possible to disable it and insanely irritating and also very, very embarrassing.

johnmann | 06. tammikuu 2018

I’m quite fond of the beeping my Leaf makes when backing up. Hope the Model 3 has it too.

Shock - Don't tell me Tesla has an infernal back-up alarm too.

Yep, shame people just can't restrain themselves.

I live in the land of traffic hell. Sitting in hours of traffic going slower than a bicycle in a straight line. Forget it. Don't explain the reasons I need to wear a tight, uncomfortable seat belt. I know what conditions call for it what don't. And yes, when I'm going fast or in complex conditions, I do wear it.

ReD eXiLe ms us | 06. tammikuu 2018

Most fatal automobile accidents occur when occupants are traveling at less than 40 MPH, or stopped. Using seatbelts decreases the likelihood of fatalities in those situations. The epitaph 'COMFORTABLY DEAD' will look interesting on a headstone.

Liba | 06. tammikuu 2018

Wow. Still going. It's like a righteous marathon. Might be more effective for you not to preach. More dead people on the wait list the faster you get yours.

SCCRENDO | 06. tammikuu 2018

You asked an irresponsible question and yes the adults in the room are not on the same page as you. I guess we could have shut up. But when you post on an open forum you don’t get to dictate what answers you get.

It's not an irresponsible question.

Carl Thompson | 06. tammikuu 2018

Remember, not everywhere in the US (or the world) requires a seatbelt.

@lilbean

I too have occasionally given a lift to people who don't want to wear a seatbelt too for whatever reason. I simply tell them that if they want to ride in my car they must where the seatbelt, period. The car does not move until they're buckled up. If they don't like it they can find alternate transportation.

Carl Thompson | 06. tammikuu 2018

s/where/wear/

The way people here are reacting, you'd think they've been ordered to remove their seatbelts altogether. All we want to do it turn off the Nanny beep. I wear my seatbelt when I need to. I don't need to be reminded incessantly.

I understand, @Carl. Sometimes I give lifts to police officer friends. I’m not about to battle with them. I do my best to convince them but I’m not their mom and I’m not going to throw them out of the car. Trust me. It’s not easy especially since I’ve worked in trauma units and cared for dying people. I’ve also seen people in the field, DOA as a result of not wearing their seatbelt. It isn’t pretty.

kaffine | 06. tammikuu 2018

dgstan What cars let you disable the seat belt warning?

I know some of my older cars it was either just a light or a beep for a short time then just a light. But I haven't seen any that had a way to disable it and all of the newer cars I have it continues until the seat belt is put on. Not sure if that is because the cars I drive don't have it as an option or is it because I have never looked. My current car will ding if the passenger doesn't have a seat belt or if there is something sitting on the passenger seat. It takes some time for it to realize the passenger got out.

Liba | 07. tammikuu 2018

I and others have clearly and unequivocally offered real world use cases where it is not irresponsible to ask this question. Can you please explain what motivates you to continue to harp the way you do? What do you get out of it because I cannot believe it's just so you can feel Superior to some of us? This is becoming a fascinating study of Trump-level reasoning.

tripplett | 07. tammikuu 2018

Something no one here has even mentioned. Maybe he/she wanted to disable the warning because they’re a lawyer and there’s a large box of case files in the passenger seat.

ReD eXiLe ms us | 07. tammikuu 2018

It doesn't matter what you want.

I once saw a very large, comfortable woman do a complete faceplant into the windshield of a car from the front passenger seat when the driver suddenly stopped in a parking lot when moving at barely 5 MPH. It was truly comical to see her reach immediately for her seatbelt after coming to rest in her seat after rebounding backward. Physics are real.

Some people need to be preached to. Some need to be reminded. Some need to be informed. Some need to satisfy the urge to reserve the right to say, "I told you so!"

The only person I can be 'better than' is myself.

When I transport boxes and other packages in my car, I make sure to connect the seat belt on the front passenger seat before I leave. Turns out that the shoulder strap is useful for keeping them stabilized, so that things don't fall over on me during sharp turns.

At least one individual here has claimed they want to disarm the seatbelt alert when they are in the driver's seat. Supposedly for the sake of comfort. That seems to be incredibly irresponsible, even for those who oppose a 'Nanny State'. It also ignores that 'SRS' stands for 'Supplemental Restraint System' -- airbags are meant to deploy when seatbelts are in use, so they may not come out at all when seatbelts aren't connected.

johnmann | 07. tammikuu 2018

Suppose one accepts the premise that moving the car from one spot to another in a parking lot is a valid reason not to wear a seat belt. The next question that comes to mind is why is it so important to disable the warning system if the car will presumably only be in operation for a brief moment and the audible warning stops after a few seconds anyway?

No judgment, just questioning the need.

Rutrow | 07. tammikuu 2018

Do Tesla's have an insistant "Door open" warning? It always bugged the $#!+ out of me to be sitting in your car, with the key on so you could listen to the radio, but have to keep the door shut to keep the "key in the ignition" warning continue to sound forever. The ONLY thing I HATED about my Jeep.

Rutrow | 07. tammikuu 2018

"Maybe he/she wanted to disable the warning because they’re a lawyer and there’s a large box of case files {for the suit against the large car company for inadequate safeguards compelling my client to wear her/his seatbelt} in the passenger seat."

There! fixed it for you.

Mr.Tesla | 07. tammikuu 2018

Ask annoying questions, get annoying answers. There is no such thing as a judgement-free zone whenever another human being is involved. Take what you want from the responses and ignore the rest.

Life is as simply as you make it.

Pages