Forums

Completed $2500 California Rebate and $450 SCE Rebate online applications

Completed $2500 California Rebate and $450 SCE Rebate online applications

Didn’t take long to submit required docs that were in my black Tesla delivery folder. Just scan the docs separately, except for Purchase Agreement, and attach to online application. The last task will be completing the $7500 tax credit form at tax time. Cool!!!

SCCRENDO | 09. tammikuu 2018

On reading through the various websites it seems like if you get the California rebate you cannot get the Carpool stickers. Also above certain income levels you are not eligible for the California rebate.

Bluesday Afternoon | 09. tammikuu 2018

@SCCRENDO

I don’t want no stinkin’ stickers anyway. ;-)

Xerogas | 09. tammikuu 2018

Wow, I have never heard of losing the carpool stickers if you take the rebate. Certainly didn't work that way 4.5 years ago with Model S

Xerogas | 09. tammikuu 2018

Looks like you still get the stickers, but it's means-tested: https://ww2.kqed.org/science/2017/09/15/ca-legislature-clean-cars-can-ke...

Relevant paragraph:
"In addition, drivers that receive the Clean Vehicle Rebate, a state-funded rebate that can be several thousand dollars, won’t be eligible for HOV lane stickers *unless* their gross annual income falls below $150,000 for a single tax filer, $204,000 for a head of household filer, and $300,000 for joint filers."

rxlawdude | 09. tammikuu 2018

You can't complete the SCE rebate application until you receive your PERMANENT REGISTRATION.

Has DMV been that good lately to have a two week turnaround? :-)

nicktrash | 09. tammikuu 2018

What sort of crap is that? you can get the refund but then not the car pool lane stickers? Does that mean only FREE stickers or paid stickers? Why would they not allow EV car pool lane access if one gets the EV refund on taxes? All that makes no sense.

WantMY | 09. tammikuu 2018

Thousands lost their homes in CA to fires, many lost lives in recent mudslides in CA. But here you are bragging about some rebates in CA you filed for. Good for you! LoL

WantMY | 09. tammikuu 2018

@OP you are a good man, you helped us to understand the ordering and delivery experience. I guess rebates is part of it too. Just could not hold myself, got overwhelmed with all those rebates, CA residents are being possessed with it.

@WantM3 "Thousands lost their homes in CA to fires, many lost lives in recent mudslides in CA. But here you are bragging about some rebates in CA you filed for."

That snark was totally uncalled for.

I suppose you will contribute every penny of your $2950 in rebates to the relief funds for fire and mudslide victims, right?

As to means testing, it's there for both the rebate and for the HOV stickers. I don't think the income limits are unreasonable at all, but admit it's kind of odd to tie the stickers to whether or not you applied for the rebate in addition to your income.

Carl Thompson | 09. tammikuu 2018

The way I read it is that if you make more than the threshold you can't get both the rebate and the stickers but you could get one or the other. But if you make less than the threshold you can get both.

Didn't make a lot of sense to me though because if you make more than the threshold you can't get the rebate anyway.

lilbean | 09. tammikuu 2018

Is getting one or the other something new?

@lilbean, yes. This is 2017 legislation that made the "if you're rich, you get either-or" changes to the HOV sticker program.

lilbean | 09. tammikuu 2018

Thanks, lawdude!

ReD eXiLe ms us | 09. tammikuu 2018

Thing is...? By my calculations, no one in California should be considered 'rich' if they possess less than something like $12,000,000 in cash... So, putting a limit at only $150,000 for people who have chosen not to take a spouse seems rather harsh treatment of the impoverished. ;-)

The Weather Tax is REAL.

By ReD's calculations, I'm a pauper.

ReD eXiLe ms us | 09. tammikuu 2018

rxlawdude: I just find it amazing that people who live in other States think someone is 'rich' if they make $120,000 to $480,000 per year and live in California. Considering there may be as little as a three-to-five mile difference between a $500,000 home and the location of a $3,000,000 or $30,000,000 residential property in certain parts of Los Angeles County. It was about a decade ago that my Uncle mentioned that a house he bought for around $35,000 in the early 1970s was worth over $450,000 if he still owned it, and that was nowhere near Pacific Palisades, Malibu, Santa Monica, Manhattan Beach, or Palos Verdes. It takes a lot of dough to avoid commuting or get ocean views.

Surf | 10. tammikuu 2018

WTF does income have to do with using an HOV lane? This is very disappointing. I can't believe it is real. My wife is a doctor who works only nights. She needs to get home in heavy traffic to see kids and help them off to school. Seems that paying extra taxes to the state of California that can be used on roads, etc would be unrelated. Why would that be punished? Isn't the point clean energy and the reward use of the HOV lane?

rxlawdude | 10. tammikuu 2018

@Surf, sure. You can reward your wife with $2500, or an HOV sticker. In your case, it sounds like the latter is more valuable to you.

Surf | 10. tammikuu 2018

It is a very close decision. She may just have to drive my car some of the time when she really needs to get home quickly. She has been somewhat afraid to drive it as it is so much bigger than her current car but after driving her 3 for a bit that could change. Plus I am sure I will want to drive the 3 plenty as well. Maybe we can use whatever car is charged since we will have to rotate use of garage anyway.

nwfan | 10. tammikuu 2018

You lucky CA folks. TX offers 2500 tax incentive but not to Tesla owners. Progress. We also have Ted Cruz as Senator.

SCCRENDO | 10. tammikuu 2018

The reality is that to me. it is worth blowing of the $2500 to get the carpool sticker. The question is if you can even get the rebate if you are above the income limits. The next question is whether they automatically check your California tax return or ask you to submit some info

Calbruins | 10. tammikuu 2018

@SCCRENDO

Your initial application for the CA rebate does not involve an income check. Keep in mind during your initial application you are asked to specify your income level. Although no supporting documentation is asked for at that time.

Subsequent to review, some % of applications just get waved through without a request to see tax returns. But the remainder of applications are asked to follow up with an income verification submission.

So in fact if someone is above the income level do they even have a choice whether they take the rebate or the HOV sticker. Sounds like income would exclude you from the rebate.

charles.a.braun | 10. tammikuu 2018

I will take the $2500 and continue to drive solo in the carpool lanes like I have in my ICE cars for 20 years. Never once been ticketed for it and even if I am ticketed for it today it's what, $500? A $500 ticket every 20 years would take 100 years to make up for lost $2500 rebate. The risk vs the reward is to low not to take the cash if I have to choose between the 2.

If you are above the income level I guess they call it fraud to lie about your income but I will leave that to the forum attorneys.

"I will ... continue to drive solo in the carpool lanes like I have in my ICE cars for 20 years."

REALLY? You drove solo in the HOV lane in an ICE, and brag about it? REALLY?

@SCC, I would assume that the HOV sticker application will now have language asking the vehicle purchase date. If on or after 1/1/18, it will then ask if you also received the Clean Vehicle Rebate. If you answer yes to that, there will be a question about your income. If your answer exceeds the limits, you will not be eligible to receive the HOV stickers.

This is moot for those who got their M3 prior to New Year's Day. For those, the only income test is for the rebate.

Note that there are two standards:

One, for the PURCHASE DATE (after 1/1/18) that determines HOV sticker eligibility based on income.

Two, the INITIAL ISSUE DATE OF HOV STICKERS, which will determine whether or not you are entitled to "new" stickers that extend your access for several more years.

I would not recommend anyone lie on these applications. It is at least a misdemeanor to do so, and you won't enjoy your Tesla from the Gray Bar Hotel and Inn.

Sorry, should read "One, for the PURCHASE DATE (after 1/1/18) that determines HOV sticker eligibility based on income, IF you've previously received the CVR."

Really! Have even been involved in an accident with a cop car while I was driving solo in the HOV lane. That must have been 12 or 13 years ago now I suppose. When you are involved in an accident with a cop car, you are going to get a lot of cops asking a lot of questions about what happened. I must have answered the question a dozen times that morning to multiple LAPD (The agency I was in the wreck with) and the CHP (The agency that responded to the scene).

First question they all asked "So, what happened?"

Me: "Well I was in the carpool lane heading south"

Them: "Whoa, wait, you were in the HOV lane by yourself?"

Me: "That's right. I was in the HOV lane heading south passing by all the traffic in the #1 and beyond lanes when officer Jones decided to pull his car across the double yellows right in front of me causing me to strike his left rear quarter panel" And I went on with the rest of the story.

I told that same exact story to a dozen different cops that day and every one of them stopped me and questioned my use of the HOV lane solo, but none of them issued me a ticket as I was not at fault since I was able to point out that I was traveling at a reasonable speed and that the cop pulled right in front of me from a dead stop and had spilled coffee all over himself in the process, indicating that he really wasn't paying as much attention to his surroundings as he should have been before making such a boneheaded move.

I think they didn't ticket you out of embarrassment of their brother officer's stupid driving trick. :-)

socaldave | 10. tammikuu 2018

I drive solo in the HOV lane every day from LA to Irvine. I've been caught once, the fine was $544 and I happily paid it. I treat any fines as a toll, and using it every day gets me an extra hour with my 5 yr old daughter.

@socaldave - Right on brother. The hours I have saved by using the HOV lane solo probably add up to several weeks, if not months of my life that I have gotten back and been able to spend with my family etc. Any ticket I were to get today would come out to pennies per hour of life I have gotten back vs sitting in traffic for the past 20+ years with the sheep that are not willing to do the same.

Well, solo drivers in non-qualifying vehicles are going to be the end of HOV access for all of us. Once they reach capacity, CalTrans will start shutting off sticker access.

Perversely, that makes the lanes better for the cheats. SMH.

Surf | 10. tammikuu 2018

Yes this is a pretty simple EV calculation. I will take the 2500 for sure and expect an even lower likelihood of being pulled over in a Tesla vs abd ICE. Once you get to the third ticket you just stop. Not really sure there is an ethical argument here when the law makes absolutely no sense. I mean it seems more like a Tesla punishment. I still can't wrap my brain around the fact that a hard working family of physicians who provide tons of free care to the indigent but also make too much money AND support the state by paying more money annually somehow deserve to get screwed out of a sticker that helps facilitate that very process. I guess I could maybe grasp it but I am obviously too entitled and rich.

Surf | 10. tammikuu 2018

But my original idea of having her take my car is probably better since the pain of getting pulled over after an all night shift will probably be too great for her to handle.

socaldave | 10. tammikuu 2018

@rx I don't mean to come off like a self-entitled jerk, and if I do, I apologise. Before CalTrans goes shutting down HOV lanes, I think we'd see a much heavier policing of the situation. Almost like DUI stops, but for HOV violations (which I've seen more than once these last couple of months).

Dasflux | 10. tammikuu 2018

Interesting. I was lead to believe that the program was no longer funded and ran out of money last year. Has something changed?

WantMY | 10. tammikuu 2018

@Dasflux That is correct, there is no money, and most likely there will be none as there are other budget priorities for CA to deal with.

Bluesday Afternoon | 10. tammikuu 2018

Why do people answer when they don't know the answer?

$140,000,000 added through Cap and Trade:

https://cleanvehiclerebate.org/eng

halftrojan | 10. tammikuu 2018

@Dasflux, @WantM3, They renewed the budget and more money was allocated, the payments will begin again next month.

@Simply, it simply seems to be human nature. Allergy to research.

melburstein | 10. tammikuu 2018

I received email saying more funds were available and disbursements would begin February 1, 2018.

niloch | 11. tammikuu 2018

On another note - If I'm reading it correctly the new HOV stickers will be a rolling window of 3 years from the end of your purchase year (if I read correctly). So to maximize your length, we'll see a surge in purchases in January so you get 4 years of HOV access.

Any Model 3's purchased this year will have sticker access through the end of 2021. Who's thinking of putting a 2nd deposit for Jan 2022 at the rate they are shipping?

ladson | 11. tammikuu 2018

Never agreed with the idea of HOV lanes; see it as misuse of the space by reserving room for selected cars...kinda of a picking winners and losers thing. in fact, I think the program should be abolished so there will be more space for people to park on the freeways during their commutes.

SCCRENDO | 12. tammikuu 2018

@ladson Yes it picks winners and losers. It picks people who ride together to decrease traffic and those who pollute less to save the environment. The losers deserve to park on the freeway and choke on their pollution. We should ban the polluters from freeways completely.

Haggy | 12. tammikuu 2018

It's not an either/or thing with the stickers and rebate, even if you make too much money. If you make enough to put you in an either/or situation, you lose the rebate anyway, so that allows you to get the stickers. If you are eligible for the rebate, your income is low enough to get the stickers. So everybody should be eligible for the stickers. Whether or not you get the rebate is a separate issue.

The only real effect of the income rule for stickers is that if the threshold is raised for income for the rebate, then it would be possible to get into either/or territory unless the law for stickers were changed at the same time.

ReD eXiLe ms us | 15. tammikuu 2018

charles.a.braun: In California sworn officers of the peace are not allowed to issue citations for traffic violations they did not personally witness themselves. The cop who crossed into your lane causing the accident could gave cited you, though... Chances are it didn't cross his mind at the time. ;-)

charles.a.braun | 16. tammikuu 2018

@ReD eXiLe ms us - Incorrect. The police in California are clearly allowed (and do so all the time) to issue tickets based on their findings during an accident investigation even if they did not witness the violation or accident.

lilbean | 16. tammikuu 2018

The CHP monitors speed by air and the officer in the car, who did not witness the violation, gives the ticket.

ReD eXiLe ms us | 16. tammikuu 2018

If that happens and you challenge it before a Judge, they will dismiss the case. No one wants a precedent on the books that prevents such highway robbery from being attempted. They count on the public being ignorant and accepting their 'punishment'.

In some States police officers will confiscate any cash a traveler has on them through 'civil forfeiture' during traffic stops. They count on people not knowing the law, or being unwilling to undergo the expense of a court challenge. You will almost always win such challenges, though you must prove you had legally obtained the cash to begin with, and offer an explanation for transporting it. Cops are not allowed to do a seizure in such a manner, though some do anyway.

The U.S. Constitution is a real thing. Citizens have certain rights. Among them is the ability to confront your accuser. A computerized sensor or a camera system or a recording device do not meet the standard. There must be an actual person who witnessed a violation. Of course, anything you say may be used against you in acourt of law... So testifying that you broke the law by driving alone in the High Occupancy Vehicle lane certainly wouldn't help your case if cited... But no, you couldn't be cited for a violation by someone who didn't see it themselves. You have the right to request a trial or move that a case be dismissed.

That said, I lived in Los Angeles County...

http://www.laweekly.com/news/everything-you-need-to-know-about-ignoring-...

Pages