Forums

If you choose to sell your current Tesla, free Supercharging will not transfer to the next owner.

If you choose to sell your current Tesla, free Supercharging will not transfer to the next owner.

Quick Question on this.

"If you choose to sell your current Tesla, free Supercharging will not transfer to the next owner."

How does even Tesla know if I sell my car to another Person. Will they track Car Registrations, I don't think so. Only issue I could think of is while for Servicing the car they might pull the records and check the Owners data.

inconel | 13. maaliskuu 2018

I think the new owners might want to register the car under their names (warranty, remote app access...)

Ohmster | 13. maaliskuu 2018

^Yup.

zanegler | 14. maaliskuu 2018

It will transfer but only if the car is sold through Tesla as a result of a trade-in. Kinda chicken-ship.

mathwhiz | 14. maaliskuu 2018

Not according to the current referral program FAQ:

"Free unlimited Supercharging will only apply to the original vehicle owner and only for the duration of original vehicle ownership."

Redmiata98 | 14. maaliskuu 2018

Tesla has had many variations of the free supercharging. They range from none to it will transfer to new owner. Mine transfers because it was delivered back in Jan “16.

MhoPower | 15. maaliskuu 2018

I've only been told that free supercharging transfers to the new owner for the life of my car. I took delivery Dec 2016. Tesla was bound to adjust this eventually for newer cars. Great benefit for early adopters of the S and X.

johnse | 15. maaliskuu 2018

I ordered my Model X on Jan. 3rd and was told then that Free Supercharging would be only while I owned the car. It seemed like a very new thing and they were being sure to make it known.

Prior to some cutoff date, free supercharging would transfer with the car to a new owner.

ratchet | 15. maaliskuu 2018

When I ordered my Model X in Feb 2017, they had just discontinued free supercharging (I got 400 KWh per year then would have to pay after that). Prior to my order, the VEHICLE carried lifetime supercharging, even after sale. A couple of months after my delivery in April 2017, Tesla graciously grandfathered new owners to provide free lifetime supercharging to the OWNER of the vehicle until it was sold, which is still the current situation.

Bighorn | 18. maaliskuu 2018

Horrible title since it doesn't apply to most cars. The cutoff was a moving target around January of 2017.

Silver2K | 18. maaliskuu 2018

zanegler | March 14, 2018
It will transfer but only if the car is sold through Tesla as a result of a trade-in. Kinda chicken-ship.
-----------------------
they have ships dedicated to chickens now???

-------------------------

"If you choose to sell your current Tesla, free Supercharging will not transfer to the next owner."

old news.
why would you buy a used tesla from anyone but tesla? you will get the free supercharging (may change in the future), and a warranty. the only scenario i can see if you are giving it to a family member. in that case transfer the car to that person and don't change your "My Tesla" info and share the login with the family member to have remote access to the car.

tom.wyrick | 20. toukokuu 2018

Uh, I bought my Tesla S, used, from a regular old car dealership. (Well, maybe not quite "regular". They were actually a pretty interesting business that does no haggle sales on every vehicle they sell, and they look like a hip Silicon Valley type of place more than a typical car dealer. I think they're trying to compete with the likes of CarMax. They let you make a purchase and/or do a trade-in completely online and will bring the car out to you if you like. You get 7 days to return a car, no questions asked, too. My salesperson actually went to bat for me to find the lowest possible interest rate on my loan, vs. the usual situation of some Finance guy trying to scam you into taking their loan at an inflated rate, followed by a hard sell on paint protection and extended warranties!)

I was very happy with the deal, overall. But I *was* wondering what my status was for the free supercharging. Sounds like I don't qualify, which is disappointing. But I paid a lot less than what Tesla was asking for their CPO cars with fewer options on them than this one had.

bob | 20. toukokuu 2018

@tom.wyrick depends on the manufacture date of the MS you bought. There are early MS's that have supercharging that follows the car till it's death. There was a change (as referenced by Bighorn) that occurred about January of 17 where the buyer of the vehicle was granted free supercharging for as long as they own that specific vehicle. The early MS's had supercharging as an option. You may be able to still add the option now, as I recall it's a $2,500 add. I'm pretty sure the really early MS 40s had no option for supercharging.

Bighorn | 21. toukokuu 2018

@tom
You almost certainly would have free supercharging from a car lot Model S unless you bought a very new one.

mrs.christians | 01. kesäkuu 2018

If I was to buy a used 2014 Model S 85, we would be grandfathered into free supercharging?

bob | 01. kesäkuu 2018

@mrs. christians - Highly likely. But I'd verify before you close the deal. It was possible to purchase a S 85 in 2014 without supercharging enabled. But if it's got supercharging now, it's my understanding that would follow that vehicle (not the owner). At lease based on age.

johnse | 01. kesäkuu 2018

Best thing would be to take the VIN to Tesla and ask them.

Bighorn | 02. kesäkuu 2018

@MrsC
All 85s in 2014 came with lifetime, transferable free supercharging. Unless I’ve suffered a stroke.

bob | 02. kesäkuu 2018

@ Bighorn - I'll defer to you and assume my earlier post to be incorrect. I should have said... "It was possible to purchase a MS in 2014 without supercharging enabled." my bad.

mrs.christians | 13. heinäkuu 2018

Just wanted to reach out and thank you guys for all the information! Purchased a model S P85 as of yesterday with free unlimited supercharging!!!!

inconel | 13. heinäkuu 2018

Congrats! The P85 is a very fun car to drive because of the power and RWD handling.

drumjammy | 28. lokakuu 2018

Hmm, I tried calling the Tesla helpline as well as talking to the local sales people near me regarding the ability to transfer the free supercharging. I was able to find out that they can look up the vehicle by VIN to determine if supercharging was purchased for it, but no one could say for sure if it was transferable. Does anyone know how to find out for sure?

Also, and I apologize if this is covered on another thread, do the other features purchased by the original owner transfer to the new owner (such as enhanced auto pilot etc.)?

hpjtv | 28. lokakuu 2018

@drumjammy, yes, all the paid features will transfer to the new owner. If you want to know if free supercharging is transferable or not, ask the person you are buying it off to log into their Tesla account and check. Click on the vehicle, scroll down to Supercharging and it will give you the info.

For my case it says "You have free, unlimited Supercharging for your current Tesla vehicle as well as any new Model S or Model X purchased before January 31, 2018. If you choose to sell your current Tesla, free Supercharging will transfer to the next owner. In addition, up to five friends you refer will also receive free Supercharging. Read our Supercharging terms."

It will be different for others depending on when they ordered or if they used a referral code to get the free supercharging.

sschaem | 29. lokakuu 2018

Tesla still offer free super charging from referral codes? I thought that ended already.

Didn't Elon even made a really big deal about ? no more free supercharging .

inconel | 29. lokakuu 2018

The discussion here is about used cars.

asksoldbysara | 03. marraskuu 2018

I bought a CPO 2016 model X (through Tesla) and it has free supecharging, the sales person said it is attached to the vin # and that is how the superchargers recognize your car

inconel | 04. marraskuu 2018

Because your car was originally purchased in 2016 free supercharging is attached to the car. As BH mentioned some time in early 2017 the policy changed and cars originally purchased after that had free supercharging attached to the original owner.

mptpro | 01. tammikuu 2019

Back to the OP's original question... how would Tesla know, other than the warranty?

The email login can be changed, so Tesla wouldn't know if it was a new owner or just the same owner with a new email.

I'm asking because I have have TM3P with unlimited SC and plan on giving my car to my son when he turns 16. But I want to ensure that he gets to keep the unlimited SC.

Passion2Fly | 02. tammikuu 2019

When the car gets sold, Tesla needs to do a transfer of ownership to the new owner and add the car to their account. So, they will know!
Now, if it’s your son, just keep the car on your name or add your son to the registration... what’s the problem?
Do not go through a transfer of ownership, otherwise you’ll loose the free SC...

mptpro | 02. tammikuu 2019

@passion2Fly thanks for the info. That's what I will do (add him to my existing registration), the reason I wanted to transfer the car to him outright is to teach him responsibility and independence (I'm a financial advisor).

acegreat1 | 04. tammikuu 2019

Giving him a m3p at 16. He will definitely get the independence, but I would worry about him being responsible. Either way he's gonna have a blast

acegreat1 | 04. tammikuu 2019

Giving him a m3p at 16. He will definitely get the independence, but I would worry about him being responsible. Either way he's gonna have a blast

PawelSokolowski | 05. tammikuu 2019

What about leased cars ? In my country leasing usually ends with buying the car from leasing company. It works just like credit, but it's more convenient with taxes.
When my 3 yrs leasing ends, I am going to buy it and drive to its technical death.
But the owner now is leasing company, so technically the owner will change, though the driver will be the same.
What about free supercharging then ???

Passion2Fly | 07. tammikuu 2019

In the US, leased cars still belong to you and to the leasing company. Your name appears on the registration and the car is linked to your Tesla account...

rex.lee | 14. tammikuu 2019

Last summer I purchased a MX90D from a Chevrolet dealership. Getting it transferred through Tesla was a bit of a challenge, but I still have free Supercharging...

MhoPower | 14. tammikuu 2019

I don't know if I ever saw it written anywhere but I had more than one Tesla employee tell me that the lifetime supercharging on my car (Dec 2016 MX) would be for the lifetime of the car, and would transfer to any subsequent owner.

burdogg | 14. tammikuu 2019

MhoPower - yes, your Dec 2016 has lifetime supercharging that stays with the car...you can find that written in your My Tesla account :)
It is anyone that purchased after Jan 1 2017 that had supercharging NOT attached to the car, and died upon transfer of the car.

bruce | 17. tammikuu 2019

They extended that date from January 1, 2017 to January 15, 2017, the day I bought my Model S, just for that reason.

MhoPower | 18. tammikuu 2019

@burdogg Thanks. I wonder how that will translate into increased resale value (if I can ever bring myself to give up this awesome vehicle :-))

PXChanel | 14. maaliskuu 2019

Tesla doesn’t transfer ownership right away. I kept getting charging alerts in my Tesla iPhone App for a couple of months after I sold my previous Tesla. I informed Tesla to transfer ownership at time of sale, but they did nothing, it was a total security breach, as I could see the new owner’s location and have access to all their control in the Tesla App. I had to call Tesla and email them multiple for times for them to fix this, to basically disassociate my Tesla App with the previous vehicle I sold. If you’re buying a us d Tesla, be wary that Tesla should disconnect the previous owner from the vehicle. Otherwise the previous will get all text alerts and new owner zero.

Dean | 17. maaliskuu 2019

I read a lot about this here. Just wanted to I recently bought a 2016 X from a Mercedes Dealer in CA and when I transferred ownership I received an email telling me it was successfully transferred and to my surprise it also said my car come with free unlimited Supercharging and if I sell it goes with the next owner.

I had no idea it came with the car I bought.

Passion2Fly | 17. maaliskuu 2019

Yes, 2016 models have transferable free supercharging. It was discontinued beginning of 2017...

To bad there are no Super Chargers in Maui.

kennethkohlmann82 | 25. maaliskuu 2019

Dean, that's awesome...about how long did it take? Also were you able to purchase an extended warranty?

quintman99 | 25. maaliskuu 2019

@asksoldbysara Hello there. since you purchased you used CPO Model x from Tesla, are you happy with it. Have you had any major issues. If you do not mind me asking, how many miles was on it and do you drive a lot of miles?? I am considering buying a CPO X or possibly a new 3... Would appreciate yours or anyone's input. Thanks much in advance.

Humaliwo | 05. joulukuu 2019

***CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT REGARDING “FREE TESLA SUPERCHARGING FOR LIFE”***

Hello all,

I’m about three weeks into ownership of a 2018 Tesla Model X P100D. I bought it used through a 3rd party dealer in Southern California. I found it through the used car aggregate site: cargurus.com.

I was initially told the car had free supercharging (the used dealer was supercharging it while in their possession, and the balance always said: $0.00). Thus their conclusion.

During the two weeks of ownership, I took the car up and back from Los Angeles to Napa. And all around Los Angeles. Free supercharging intact.

A week later I was able to activate the Tesla app. Once this occurred, free supercharging was deactivated and I’ve since been charged.

Here’s the issue: I made a valuation on this car, based upon the fact that it had free supercharging. I am aware that Tesla values this feature at approximately $5,000 (this is what they offer to buy it back for).

I had two different calls with Tesla customer technical support. Each time I received a different answer. The first time they told me that the previous owner only had a 400kw per year credit, which had expired. The second time they told me that the previous owner had been given free supercharging for life due to referrals, but that it was deactivated once the registration was completed in my name.

But here’s what really rubbed me the wrong way, hence this post: they told me, on a recorded call, that they DO NOT DISCLOSE the status of a vehicle’s free supercharging status to third parties until the vehicle has been registered. They claim it’s a privacy issue. So I, as the consumer, now take a hit on the current expenses related to the vehicle (the money I will lose charging, which I factored into what I bid for the vehicle) as well as the future resale value of the vehicle. Tesla told me to take it up with the third party dealer, however they admitted that said third party dealer would have no way of knowing about the vehicles supercharging status unless they registered the vehicle with Tesla. Tesla also said on this call, that a third party dealer or buyer is the same in their eyes.

I am very disappointed in this blatant obfuscation of a very valuable feature. They claim they are able to “remove it at their discretion.” In the end, the support rep said “you can email our legal department” if you have further concerns, but “this is the end of the road for us.”

So here I am. I want to hear from you all. Who else has experienced this? Tesla, by their own admission, will not confirm the existence of free supercharging on a given VIN until AFTER the purchase. The only exception: if you purchase it directly through their used program. This is deliberate, disingenuous and unethical.

I loved this car initially but this experience has left a terrible taste in my mouth and I feel cheated. I can take the hit monetarily, but I worked hard to make the money to purchase this car, and I will not stand for this. It’s a matter of principle. And I’m sure many of you feel the same.

I am gathering other individuals and will be proceeding legally if Tesla continues not to rectify this issue. Join me and spread the word.

I can be reached at HumaliwoHumaliwo@gmail.com

Best,

Josh

jimglas | 05. joulukuu 2019

sounds like you should have done a little research before you bought the car. It is a well known fact that free supercharging does NOT transfer to a new owner.
The dealer and you are responsible for your situation.

Humaliwo | 05. joulukuu 2019

Actually you are mistaken. In fact Tesla confirmed this to me on a recorded call. It is “at their discretion.”

jimglas | 05. joulukuu 2019

Both my M3 and MX have FUSC
both clearly state on the vehicle description that FUSC WILL NOT transfer to a new owner if the vehicle is sold

TeslaTap.com | 05. joulukuu 2019

@Humaliwo - Sorry for your confusion. Not sure how Tesla is responsible for the dealer's misrepresentation. I also understand Tesla's inability to provide customer's information to a third party, it may even be illegal for them to do it.

I've never heard Supercharger valued at $5,000. Back in 2013, it was a $2,000 option on a Model S60, which included both access to the Superchargers and no cost for charging. So there a portion of that $2,000 to just have access to the Superchargers but I have no way to value that.

Generally, options on used vehicles are depreciated at 50% or more of the original value, so it would seem the value at most is $1,000 if a car had included lifetime free Supercharging.

Pages