Forums

2019.4.x has arrived in the wild

2019.4.x has arrived in the wild

And finally with some useful features. *AutoFolding mirrors-location based
*Blind spot chime

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/attachments/cdc4bdbb-933c-4b80-ab4d-828f...

Anthony J. Parisio | February 10, 2019

Nice!

DRFLGD | February 10, 2019

Always love more features.

jfemd.va.us | February 10, 2019

Does the blind spot chime only work when using autopilot?

Boonedocks | February 10, 2019

@jfemd.va.us-

From everything I have read if you have any iteration of HW2.0+ it is considered a safety feature and works on all HW2.0+ equipped cars regardless.

hammer @OR-US | February 10, 2019

Great, now if only i could get my gps location to work at my house.

TranzNDance | February 10, 2019

I was just thinking that I should start manually folding the mirrors in the daycare since they can and have opened at inopportune times when I approached the car, like when someone was about to open the door to get their kids.

Silver2K | February 10, 2019

Will HW1 get it?

Hmm, I hope they don't mean literally that the mirrors will fold upon reaching the location since the mirrors are useful for backing into a parking spot. I think it would be simpler if the mirrors did not auto unfold until the driver is about to drive or as early as when the driver enters the car and sits down. The mirrors don't need to unfold whenever it detects the fob.

@Silver2K | February 10, 2019
Will HW1 get it?

Auto folding mirrors? I would think it would operate like the location based air suspension does so shouldn’t require any HW version other than having auto fold mirrors. IMHO

EVRider | February 10, 2019

@TranzNDance: Yes, the mirrors will fold when you reach that location. How else could that feature work?

Silver2K | February 10, 2019

Blind spot chime

I would guess if your car has the capability to do auto lane change then it has the hardware needed to see cars in your blind spot. Other than that it’s all speculation until we see it :/

DRFLGD | February 10, 2019

So is this only available to Early Access Program participants?

barrykmd | February 10, 2019

I think it would be simpler if the mirrors did not auto unfold until the driver is about to drive or as early as when the driver enters the car and sits down. The mirrors don't need to unfold whenever it detects the fob.

It used to be this way. Why they changed it remains a mystery, as the old way makes much more sense.

jordanrichard | February 10, 2019

RE: auto mirrors by location. This would only be a benefit to those that don’t already have their mirrors auto fold upon locking/unlocking. I suppose also for those pulling into a narrow garage. I personally wouldn’t use this geo fence mirror feature because due to the angle I have to go into my garage, I need to look at the passenger side mirror to make sure my rear fender doesn’t scrap the garage door opening. I only fold my mirrors in once I am parked in the garage, to give me more room to walk around the car.

SoCal Buzz | February 10, 2019

I agree @barry. Annoying that they open when walking by in the garage, etc.

jordanrichard | February 10, 2019

Unless one always parks in between other cars, there is no need for one to have the existing auto fold feature enabled. I rarely park between cars, so I have auto fold turned off. I “manually” fold my mirrors in once I am in my garage.

Boonedocks | February 11, 2019

“jordanrichard | February 10, 2019
RE: auto mirrors by location. This would only be a benefit to those that don’t already have their mirrors auto fold upon locking/unlocking.”

Absolutely NOT true!!

acegreat1 | February 11, 2019

Boon, he does that from m time to time

inconel | February 11, 2019

Roll out seems to have stalled? Maybe waiting to include Sentry mode for a wide release.

TranzNDance | February 11, 2019

If Tesla would return the auto unfolding behavior to the way it used to be per Barry, then this new feature would be unneeded in the scenarios that I was thinking. One was in the daycare lot where I don't want a kid to get whacked in the head as I approached my car, or block a parent from open the their door because the mirrors suddenly unfolded. I also don't want to stand some distance from my car to wait for such situations to pass. I just want to get into my car and wait for things to be clear and then have the mirrors unfold when I'm ready to drive.

EVRider | February 11, 2019

For me, the new mirror unfold feature is exactly what I’m looking for. We have both a Model S and Model 3, and have to fold mirrors whenever we park in our garage. I’ve turned off auto fold mirrors because I don’t want them to unfold until I’ve backed out of the garage, so we manually fold/unfold mirrors when entering/leaving the garage. With the Model S, this is easy because the mirror control is on the armrest, but with the Model 3 it’s a pain because you have to use the touchscreen.

Tesla isn’t changing the existing behavior of the mirrors, they’re just adding a new option for those of us who want it. If you don’t like it, don’t use it. I don’t see why anyone would complain about this.

Boonedocks | February 11, 2019

"TranzNDance | February 11, 2019
If Tesla would return the auto unfolding behavior to the way it used to be per Barry, then this new feature would be unneeded in the scenarios that I was thinking"

We have 4 single garages and they are a wide enough for our cars but the X in particular is a pretty wide car. My wife has to manually press the mirror button every time she pulls in to the garage, more for her own peace of mind and that's okay, but this new feature will automatically fold the mirrors in when approaching the garage. It's not a matter of "I don't think it's needed or this feature is unnecessary because.." it is truly just a convenience feature that can be turned on or left off. Apparently some will be better off to just leave it off \i/ and that is okay too. Don't want to poo poo on your parade for not needing it. LOL LOL

TranzNDance | February 11, 2019

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that this shouldn't be an option for everyone who needs, I think it should be available. I stated that it wouldn't be needed in scenarios that I was thinking about when I first posted in this thread.

Scorpyo | February 11, 2019

I too would like to know if HW1 will have blind spot chime. Sure it can't see as far as HW2+ but there is still a detection when a car is in the blind spot.

https://forums.tesla.com/sv_SE/forum/forums/blind-spot-warning-short-dem...

sentabo | February 11, 2019

EV Rider, I do the exact same thing. This will be an awesome addition for me, as I worry that I will forget to fold the mirrors in some day.

dougk71 | February 13, 2019

There will be some who are hearing challenged. Perhaps some injection of a foul smell into the ventilation system who also help alert a driver of pending risk.

sr.smr | February 13, 2019

These updates rank right on top of the most wanted features for me. Can't wait for its release.

rxlawdude | February 13, 2019

Looks like deployment has slowed to near zero.

rsghuman | February 14, 2019

Fingers crossed that the blind spot chime will be included for AP1. It doesn’t really make sense not to; most ICE cars use their ultrasonic sensors alone for this feature.

Pepperidge | February 14, 2019
EVRider | February 14, 2019

@rsghuman: AP1 cars don’t have visual blind spot warnings (the red lines) because they don’t have side cameras. You can’t have a chime if the car can’t detect vehicles in your blind spot. I don’t think the AP1 ultrasonic sensors are sufficient.

rxlawdude | February 14, 2019

@EVRider, +1. Not happening for AP1 cars.

Scorpyo | February 14, 2019

In 2015 Tesla was already implying that the Model S is capable of seeing the blind spot and giving a visual warning.

"Safety
Aware of its surroundings, Model S warns you when merging into an occupied lane or approaching a stopped car too quickly. In emergency conditions, Model S safely brings itself to a full stop."

You can check on the web archive website:
https://web.archive.org/web/20150410112745/http://www.teslamotors.com/mo...

Same thing in April 2016, so still before HW2.

https://web.archive.org/web/20160414004846/https://www.teslamotors.com/m...

The Specs section says
"Blind spot warning"

EVRider | February 14, 2019

The blind spot warning in HW1 cars is simply the yellow “waves” shown next to the car when objects are detected by the ultrasonic sensors. Those sensors are too limited to detect vehicles in your blind spot that are behind the car. Even HW2+ can’t always detect vehicles in your blind spot, but it’s far superior to HW1, and is the first implementation of “real” blind spot monitoring for Teslas.

I agree, so if the turn signal is on and the ultrasonic on that rear side senses something it could trigger the chime.

ens | February 15, 2019

I have a 7-wk old S100D (replaced a 3yr-old S85). Was happy to get the notice yesterday that a software update was available, and set it to install last night. Looking forward to having the new features ... was always very disappointed when the auto-folding mirror 5 mph open function was removed vs opening at unlock/drive ... been disabled ever since. Got in car this morning and the onscreen update notes were the identical for the update I received in December, with the fireplace, navigate on auto pilot, etc. It looks like it merely reinstalled the same software update (2018.50.7 187f881 ) instead of the new 2019.4. And no longer lists an update available. This happen to anyone else? Was hoping to try out the new features this weekend.

EVRider | February 15, 2019

@ens: It’s unlikely you got the same version you had before, but the new one is probably just bug fixes. The one with the new mirror and blind spot features will take a while to get pushed out to everyone.

itsjohn07 | February 15, 2019

@ens Same thing happened with mine. Have an 18 MS100D (picked it up end of December). It was on 2018.48.12.1 d6999f5. Received 1st notification yesterday around might. Updated it during work yesterday, hoping it would be the new 2019 firmware with the new features, but to my disappointment, it was just the 2018.50.7 firmware update. Hopefully the new firmware rolls out soon for the S, given some of the issues/bugs are worked out.

Scorpyo | February 15, 2019

Got 2018.50.6 a few minutes ago.

Ohmster | February 15, 2019

Agh. Just got 50.6 on both cars today. Boring.

brian | February 18, 2019

My car has been in the autobody shop for 2.5 months and just got it back, and it updated to 2018.48 last night - snooze.