Forums

237mi range of X 75D enough for you?

237mi range of X 75D enough for you?

Have concerns that 237mi, with the usage 20/80 won't be enough. Range anxiety.?? Anyone?

wang5150 | October 25, 2017

I've had my X75D since last August 2016 and has driven over 12,000 miles so far. I've taken several long road trip across states using Tesla's supercharger network and I never had range anxiety.

In fact, I was more rested and less anxious during those long road-trips in the Tesla versus driving my old car on the same route since I can enable auto-pilot for those long stretches of freeway and arrive well rested and ready to enjoy the destination.

Hope this helps!

Model_D | October 25, 2017

Range anxiety fades within a year. The real question is how much you want to spend to have a better accelerating vehicle, spend a tiny bit less time planning a trip with maybe one less stop and how much you want to mitigate range anxiety for 9-12 months.

I would buy a 75 and never look back. However you have to figure this out based on your intended usage. This is coming from an X60D owner (200 mile rated range) who has even had to plan a trip towing and needed an L2 charge for an hour due to unplanned headwinds.

mzero | October 25, 2017

I had the same contemplation and went with 75. We’ve now 5800 miles into it and multiple road trips w/o anxiety so far. We live in the Northeast and given this winter will be the first, I’d have to wait and see. But based on our driving patterns, I’m not too worry.

Solarman004 | October 25, 2017

Had mine for over 14 months. In multiple trips including two round trips greater than 3600 miles, I've never had range anxiety. The Supercharger, and Destination Charger networks are far reaching and the on-board computer does a great job of keeping you out of trouble.

buddymx | October 25, 2017

Have MX 60D, have done multiple long trips. With 60D I charge to 100% which is 83% of available full actual capacity.
Charging is fast and have no range anxiety.

swan | October 25, 2017

I had the same dilema and I can tell you it was not a an easy one. Here are come of the factors I looked into in making my decision.
1. On average how much you drive in a day.
2. How often you drive long distances within or outside of city.
3. Are you planning to have fast charging Tesla charger in your garage. If you go with 75D and also drive a lot within city total aggregate for any given day then you should install the fast charger. You do not want to be in a situation where the battery is depleted and suddenly something comes up.
4. If you look at the 100D model it is cheaper per KWH. If you look at the base 75D model it is $1060 per KWH, for 100D it is $960 pet KWH.
5. Another aspect you want to look at is the upfront cost might seem high for 100D but that cost is spread over the number of years you keep the car.
6. One can may be live without some if the tech but the basic function of any car is driving getting you from place to place. Having more range makes life a little eaiser specially if you are driving a lot. You are spending less of your valuable time stopping and worrying about charging. Plus when you the 237 mile would actually be more like 200 be ause yiu never would want to bring that down to zero.
7. With time battery densities are increasing bigger batteries will hold better resale value as more cars come to the market with 300 or more range. Low 200’s would in near future be the very basic. Depending on how long you want to keep your car it can be a factor in resale.
8. Above all it is something you will not be able to simply upgrade at a later stage and you do not want to find yourself at any point regreting.
Its a very personal decision based on ones circumstances.
Hope this helps.

elvnga | October 25, 2017

I am happy with my 75D delivered in July. Did one road trip to from Atlanta to Charleston (no supercharger and no destination charger- used level 2 and Chade-Mo). I rarely do road trips and normally drive under 50 miles a day. A bigger battery would make road trips easier with fewer stops and faster charging (can stay away from top 20% of battery). But I looked at how often I would really use that based on my driving over the past 10 years. I would be spending $500-1000 for every saved charging stop. That seemed nuts. If you go out of town twice a month, then the bigger battery costs a lot less per trip and it might be a no brainer to spend the money.

Remember, the charging network you see now is nothing compared to what will be available when you resell your car.

girishfall2010 | October 25, 2017

heres my two cents: I don't feel any anxiety with my 75D. Having said that I think it boils down to the driving style as well. I average 350W/mi (which I think is very high considering some of the other readings I've seen and read here) and I consider myself a light to light driver. My commute is 50mi both ways and I can go without charging for 3 days during work week and charge at work alternatively. Basically ever since I've got my X, I've been literally driving for free!!! :)

LTO2 | October 25, 2017

@alvit: I’ve had an X75D since mid-July, 6,000+ miles on th odometer, numerous road-trips using Superchargers and hotel destination chargers (Tesla chargers). Yes, I was anxious starting out, watched the remaining charge obsessively. However, I learned to mitigate my anxiety by electing to charge longer at Superchargers than required to get to my next charging stop or destination. Moreover, I’ve learned that when following the X’s navigation system, the calculation of charge is spot on! (I use the calculator on my iPhone to check the calculations. Always spot on!)
So, after three months and numerous road-trips, I’m satisfied the 75D is quite adequate when traveling along routes with Superchargers, the network of which is only getting better: more Superchargers. Then there are destination and other chargers. Most learn how things fare during winter...
If you can afford the 100D, then go for it. Better for resale than a 75D? For some folks, perhaps. Others will be quite satisfied with a 75D, as are many of us who purchased this model.

TeslaNinno | October 26, 2017

Out of 365 days in a year I have the family with me on road trips 10 of those. Most days the range is totally fine but there have some family road trips between Superchargers that got dicey. 100D wasn't available when i ordered but if your budget permits.....
No one has ever regretted getting the most range :)

mzero | October 26, 2017

Just curious how much more efficient (wh/mile) is 75D compared to 100D if all factors (except curb weight) are the same.

Tropopause | October 27, 2017

In theory, Wh/mi should be same or very similar on 75D & 100D. Weight difference equates to approximately one passenger. P100D will use more energy.

Silver2K | October 27, 2017

it should be mentioned that high heels increase energy consumption also.

Solarman004 | October 27, 2017

@mzero, here is a definitive answer to your question courtesy of @wk057 on the TMC forum. He has tapped into the data bus of each model and read the static mileage constant used to calculate values such as "rated miles remaining." But it also gives you and idea of each model's efficiency:
1. MX 75D and 90D, non-performance- 320 Wh/mile
2. MX P90D - 333 Wh/mi
3. MX P100D - 342 Wh/mi

I did not see a number for the 100D but probably just overlooked it.
By the way these are the same numbers that correspond to the rated energy line on the onboard energy screen.

mzero | October 27, 2017

Thanks Solarman. Comparing 75D vs P100D, it’s not that bad. So vs 100D probably even smaller gap. I expected worse.

Solarman004 | October 28, 2017

And driving habits, weather etc can make a big difference just like in a conventional car. After 19,000 miles in a 75D, my mild weather avg is 292 Wh/mi, and winter is 330 Wh/mile. Lifetime avg is 310, so it is possible to do better than the EPA rating.