Forums

Actual range less than 200

Actual range less than 200

This car has a few glitches, but the range is absolute bullshit.

Yesterday I drove Morristown to Trenton and home. The car started charged to 278 miles and I traveled 120 miles, got home with a sliver of battery left—showing 40ish miles range left but that is not reliable because it’s clearly off by about a third. I could easily have had other appointments after, but the car needed 12hrs to charge.

Last week I drove to Philly and back. Should’ve been easy on a full charge (310 miles, because I wanted to be sure) at less than 200 miles. Instead I had to sit at a charger for 40 minutes just outside of Philly. I showed 29 miles range when I got there. It was a warmish 50° on this day.

Talked to Tesla they blamed vampire drain or temperature but insist the car is operating correctly.

I have dual motors non P. This piece of shit is not practical if you use a car to actually drive.

Lorenzryanc | December 6, 2018

I'll trade you, mine gets the range ;) Temp and SPEED is a major impact on your range. Turnpike is about 75-80 MPH so your dropping from 240ish wh/mi to 300 on a good day. Add the heater and it'll drop it a bit more. If you drive at 240wh/mi, you should hit the projected range. What's your wh/mi? Also, as you break the car in a bit, it'll get better. Any wet weather could effect rolling resistance on the tires which could lower it too.

mntlvr23 | December 6, 2018

@dublinfred - that is not the norm. if that is a common occurrence for you (and not just an odd occurrence driving 85 in the heavy rain) take it in to Tesla and they will evaluate and fix it.

@Lorernz - I have never heard of "breaking in" a battery will improve performance over time. My range has stayed pretty constant, the same now at 30,000 miles as I had at 30 miles.

lilbean | December 6, 2018

Wow. How fast were you driving?

Tyguy | December 6, 2018

OP, I’m pretty sure most M3 owners “actually drive” their cars. You should sell yours and pick up something different, maybe one of the last diesels out there with lots of range between fill ups. Good luck.

Bighorn | December 6, 2018

It’s a thinking person’s car. Not all are cut out. Coming up on a quarter million Tesla miles here. Time for you to sell, or go back to school.

hokiegir1 | December 6, 2018

I just finished a 2000 mile road trip (short compared to some...), and have 20k miles on my car already. As others have noted, speed, weather (temp and rain), and use of heat will all impact range. Longer days require some additional planning at times (like finding a spot to plug in at a meeting or lunch break), but it's really not all that complicated to do.

Magic 8 Ball | December 6, 2018

I would suggest the OP is a POS.

michael | December 6, 2018

"a thinking man's car"

I like that description.

dsvick | December 6, 2018

@dublinfred, as opposed to jumping on here, assuming the worst, and complaining post some more data and we can help you figure out why you were getting the range you were or if there may be an issue with your car.

What was the weather like when you made those trips? Temperature? Precipitation? How fast were you going? Was it single, long trips or multiple short drives? What was your climate control set at? What were your wh/mi for the trips? Elevation changes? These can all affect range, let us help you figure it out...

007bond | December 6, 2018

@ dublinfred I live in central NJ and drive same areas and have the same car that you do. BTW I use TeslaFi and all drives are 100% accurately tracked. For example this am here is my wifes drive to work.

1 Hour 17 Minutes 7:34 AM-8:52 AM Data Accuracy 94.9% 45.42 Miles Driven 65.86 Rated Miles Used ODO ,083.21 - 6,128.62 328 Wh/Mile 69% Efficiency 22% 14.91 kWh Cost $ 1.71 Gas Savings $ 6.49 102.7 MPGe -119.4 ft Avg Speed 34 MPH Max Speed 90 MPH Outside 33.8 F Inside 68 F Fan Avg 3

So you can see at this cold temp to drive 45 miles 65 miles of battery was used so that is as noted 60% efficiency.

rdavis | December 6, 2018

@007Bond... damn... 90MPH... you're wife has a bit of a heavy foot....

Max Speed 90 MPH

spuzzz123 | December 6, 2018

It is interesting how personally owners take it when another owner is dissatisfied. I feel the twinge too. Is it because i see someone else has different (higher) standards than I do? Does that make me feel more mediocre myself? Maybe?

Lorenzryanc | December 6, 2018

I've heard the break-in period is with the tires. Not sure how much efficiency is gained (if any) over the 1st few hundred miles. OP ever come back? I'm curious the particulars of their situation.
@007Bond Your wife seems to be driving the car properly... Marry that girl! ;)

Coastal Cruiser. | December 6, 2018

"a thinking man's car"

"a thinking person's car"

Fixed it for ya. Can't leave the ladies out. They were actually the first on the EV bandwagon. ;>

mariannej586 | December 6, 2018

Interesting reading this thread as I've had my M3 for 3 weeks (~2000 miles) now with many long trips from CT to VT and have noticed the decline in range from the cold, rain, faster driving and the mountainous terrain. On the last drive back I was going from Burlington VT to the supercharger in Brattleboro VT and thought I had enough charge but partway through the trip the warning came up to drive below 55 in order to get to the supercharger...very frustrating to go that slow and have everyone pass you but now at least I understand the causes a bit better.

CharleyBC | December 6, 2018

What about thinking women?

Anyway, the most obvious factor in NJ this time of year is weather. Running the heater is expensive electrically. Speed isn't stated in the complaint, but is a likely factor too.

We actually come pretty close to the stated range most of the time here in comfy CA--sometimes even better. It's all how you use it.

michael | December 6, 2018

@CC

My bad. Typo.

casun | December 6, 2018

were you driving 65 mph on flat roads in 72 degree temps?

jordanrichard | December 6, 2018

mariannej586, why didn't you just stop at White River Junction?

OP, buy another car. I am in CT and have driven up and down the eats coast a number of times and I am now entering my 5th winter with my MS which has less range than your car. No issues. Meaning, I know that cold affects range and I knew that going in just as you should have had you done any research on EVs. Hell Tesla even has a page dedicated to charging where you can enter speed and temperature and see what your range might be.

rxlawdude | December 6, 2018

Funny, another drive-by post. The FUDsters are apoplectic.

TEA SCORE - 95%.

CharleyBC | December 6, 2018

From OP: "This piece of **** is not practical if you use a car to actually drive."

We actually drive ours. In fact, a lot. We just passed 8000 miles in about 4.5 months of ownership, and a month of that the car was idle since we were away. So 8000 miles in 3.5 months of use. That's crazy high for us. It's because the Tesla is nearly always the answer to "which car should we take?", where before we tended to split between the two. And we've made three long-distance road trips to see family on routes that we formerly did by plane.

So, yeah, we actually drive this car, more than any other car either of us has ever owned.

slingshot18 | December 6, 2018

There are two superchargers in the area that could have filled you up in quite a bit less than 12hrs. Hyperbole everywhere.

@rdavis yes I have her speeds in excess of 100MPH, overall we are happy with the range and performance. Driving fast in the cold we don't expect 100% efficiency. She is heavy on the accelerator too and enjoys the car.

@ dublinfred with 40 miles left 12 hours seems to long of a charge time even with the included 32amp charger.

I knew going in I may need more charging power then that little adaptor could provide. I now have the wall charger and at 44MPH even a dead battery is back in 6 hours. I think some planning has to go into buying and EV. I have wanted an EV for years but I had to wait since none available could meet my daily needs. Before the M3 and for years there was really on the leaf where a full charge, heat off, lights off, radio off, heck everything off got you 75 miles and you were dead. So I knew that just was not going to work and IMO the M3 is the firt really affordable EV that the average person can use as a daily driver.

There is the youtube sales guy that now has an M3 drives it like crazy all day everyday to appointments. He raves about the car he hits a supercharge as needed, charges at clients. Point is he bought the EV with a plan on how it would work for him in his everyday life.

My BMW said it would get 25 MPG but I'm lucky to get 21 MPG, my trip range would say 325 miles, but I would need gas at 275, I never thought to call BMW to ask why.

marym23 | December 6, 2018

I have had my LeMR for 2 weeks and because I was having the front wrapped and the remainder of the car ceramic coated, I have only had a chance to drive to work and back. I work exactly 25 miles from my home and the majority of the drive is either highway or roads with 55 mph. I live in Portland where it’s been sunny and COLD. High in the low 40’s and windy. I plug my car in every night and set it to start charging at 1:00 am. I charge it to 200 miles. By plugging it in, I get up at 4:00 am and start the heater/defroster but am using electricity and not the battery. My mileage shows that I use right around 50 miles every day. If I leave my house at 200 miles, I have between 148 - 152 miles left when I return. It has been very consistent. I have the heater set at 65 when I unplug it and have the seat heater on. I set the cruise to 5 miles over speed limit and that’s it. It is a dream!!! I had a Leaf 6 years ago and it was NEVER close to getting the estimated mileage and yet this is right on.

Revelate | December 6, 2018

*shrug*

I drove 61 miles today, lost 30% charge. Freeway driving via TACC and AP mostly, LA admittedly while raining.

I'll admit, it's new, I'm not used to it, but calling the OP names or causing those of us with some apparent range issues stupid doesn't help.

I'm waiting to see as I continue to drive it, but doing the math that is also less than 200 miles range. I can make it work, and if I had a charger at home doubt I'd care, but while it wasn't optimal conditions and probably sub-optimal usage, I'll put my own intelligence based on whatever benchmark you want (IQ or standardized test scores from back in the day) against anyone here, so rationalizing it as only idiots have problem is worse than sloppy thinking.

SUN 2 DRV | December 6, 2018

Rated range is at standard EPA conditions (65 MPH, flat road, 70 deg, no rain, snow nor wind and minimal HVAC usage)

You can do BETTER than rated range if you drive slower, or are going downhill or have a tailwind.

Driving faster or in cold or poor weather conditions is the most common cause of reduced range and it can be significant.

Most people up to this point should be quite glad they got the LR version, even if they didn't originally know why they'd need it.

@SUN 2 DRV you hit the nail on the head. Originally I was going to hold out for the SR but as I read the forums and expanded my education I realized the LR was really the way to go. Living in NJ with the cold, heavy feet, fast driving, we quickly realized it was the LR that was going to be worth the 9k. And let's be honest we all were reasonably sure the 7.5k rebate was going to end this year and the SR would come out next year. So really we only paid $5250 extra for the LR.

ReD eXiLe ms us | December 6, 2018

Anything under 75° Fahrenheit is frigid. Replace your leaden galoshes with a nice, light pair of running shoes. Oh, and try to lose that extra 120 pounds hovering about your navel. Also, live where the Sun shines.

dublinfred | December 6, 2018

dsvick - fair questions. The first trip was 50+ degrees, the second 35°. Both highway driving. Mostly autopilot, very few stops. Nothing really in the way of elevation changes—essentially flat driving. All very normal boring driving. I have never received a speeding ticket in my life.

It’s adorbs that people question my intelligence and then point out that these ranges estimates. Yes obviously. Fuel economy for all cars is always an estimate. The problem is these are shitty estimates.

dsvick - fair questions. The first trip was 50+ degrees, the second 35°. Both highway driving. Mostly autopilot, very few stops. Nothing really in the way of elevation changes—essentially flat driving. All very normal boring driving. I have never received a speeding ticket in my life.

It’s adorbs that people question my intelligence and then point out that these ranges estimates. Yes obviously. Fuel economy for all cars is always an estimate. The problem is these are shitty estimates.

Don’t mistake intelligence for thoughtfulness or judgment.

Joho.keith | December 6, 2018

The reality with an EV isn’t so different than gas mileage with an ICE. Go very fast and it’s less. Accelerate very hard and it’s less. The temperature is very cold and it’s less. The cost per mile is a differentiator. Gasoline costs a lot more per mile than electricity but gasoline is much faster to refuel than electricity. Understand and adapt to what you purchased and you will be much happier. There is a trade off for everything.

ST70 | December 6, 2018

what's the wh/mile showing?

aptwo | December 6, 2018

Definitely what ST70 said. Check the wh/mile, average should be 250wh/mile. But it could be up in the 300s if you have a heavy foot and the weather is cold.

batmanasb | December 6, 2018

Looks like someone didn't do their basic research. It's pretty common to expect around a 30% (give or take 10%) range drop when it's cold outside, because an EV's range is pretty limited and they mostly make up for it with superior aerodynamics. Best you can do is keep the tires well inflated (~45 PSI) and use less heat (I believe heated seats are more efficient than the climate controls). But at the same time, supercharging really is underrated. Simply stop by one if you need additional range and grab something to eat, then before you know it, you'll be set for another ~200 miles, for cheap.

If you require a lot of range, then your best option would have been a hybrid, for the efficiency of an electric motor and the storage capacity of a gas tank. An Ioniq Hybrid can do over 600 miles!

gballant4570 | December 6, 2018

dublinfred, you are simply a dumb ass. You don't have a mental capacity worth the time of day, and you are a liar. I will no longer expose myself to your filthy fecal regurgitations, and hopefully no one else on this forum with more than two brain cells to rub together will either. Goodbye,.

50° = not cold

Gballant: dumbass is one word. Dumbass.

Rt002k | December 6, 2018

I wouldn't say they're shitty estimates, I'd say they are estimates that are not applicable to your current driving condition. Range will vary with temperature/weather more than they will in an ICE. Sucks but is what it is.

TheSGC | December 6, 2018

brb getting op a bib and pacifier

ST70 | December 6, 2018

@gballant4570 - ha! WOW....did I miss a post that set you off so much?
@dublinfred- what is your wh/mile? ....and it's actually Dumb@ss!

kevin_rf | December 6, 2018

@batmanasb

Are you sure about that? My experience has been I take a bigger hit when I turn on the heated seats. Of course I only set the car temp to 68 with low fan.

When it's cold, I know I take a hit and adjust accordingly. My daily commute as of late has been 130 miles plus what ever wild goose chase I get sent on at the end of the day. I just drive chill...

Climate heat on the S is a hundred times more energy intense than the seat heat. 57W vs 6000W.

maztec | December 6, 2018

OP: Can you share a picture of the energy use according to your energy use graph?

batmanasb | December 6, 2018

@kevin_rf All I know is that everyone says that's the case. I'm used to the cold so I actually never use heated seats (and am really sad we didn't get cooled seats), and keep the temp at 66 with just a low fan on the windshield to keep it from fogging up. But yeah, haven't and probably won't test it myself because I don't want to get all sweaty.

vb1 | December 7, 2018

Mileage on my dual motor have dropped as well since sub zero temperatures in NJ kicked in. Are you warning up the car before you drive?

dublinfred | December 7, 2018

Temps never near zero on either trip. Warming up the interior? No, it’s basucally instantly warm so I don’t bother. I assume the car does its own battery warming up, if need be but again, one trip was 50° when I got home after midnight.

Range over the last 30 miles is 234 miles. Avg w/hr 282, which is a longer range than the actual trips.

mabuck | December 7, 2018

Cold air is much more dense than warm air. You can loose a significant amount of performance just based off aerodynamics of warm vs cold air - I'd say 15% at least from 20-30f to 70-80f.

Also, heating a car interior uses more energy than cooling the interior. Heating the seats will help. In a gas car, heating does not use more energy due to the heat coming from the cars engine.

Rain affects the air density and more importantly increase drag on the tires. If it is raining, cold, and your are driving highway miles, you will see the worse performance out of an electric car and probably be surprised how bad the performance is. Ever hit a pool of water on the side of the road and feel your car slow down dramatically? You don't notice it driving, but that is essentially happening when driving on wet roads.

It's all a trade off.

mabuck | December 7, 2018

Just to clarify, my 15% is just a rough estimate. I have no idea the actual % affect cold air has on the car vs warm air

Pages