Forums

Anybody interested in purchasing my low reservation spot for the Model S (very low #800's spot) ?

Anybody interested in purchasing my low reservation spot for the Model S (very low #800's spot) ?

I'm not even sure if this is possible. I thought I'd check with Tesla if there is interest from anyone.... not looking to make much, maybe just a little something to justify parking $5k to reserve one for the past couple of years.

Thanks,
Gordon

Volker.Berlin | May 3, 2012

MandL, this is no advice and I cannot be held liable, but my gut feeling says that deprecation of resale value of the Sig will be larger than the difference between the Sig and the P at the time your P number is drawn. If you want to get the best value for money/least deprecation, there is no way around waiting for the P. The Sig will deprecate very fast and only after years may accrue some collector's value -- but only if you don't drive your car and have it garaged, and even then it's a gamble. The Sig premium is for bragging rights. As soon as your P number comes up, that premium is -- puff -- gone and cannot be regained on resale. Bragging rights are non-transferable... ;-)

In other words, wishful thinking aside, I cannot believe you will be able to make/save any money by downgrading later. The only things you get that way is a brand new car and the color you want, but the premium on the Sig is sunk either way.

Just my 2c.

Captain_Zap | May 3, 2012

MandL,

I really prefer the Sig Red and the "white" interior. None of the other colors appeal to me. For me, it’s worth the premium to have a color I love rather than a "meh...it'll do" color. But, since I have a fairly high P# I planned to working on learning to like blue or green.

But, recently I was told by a showroom rep that custom colors are coming available in 2013. I think that it's worth waiting a couple extra months to have a successful long term relationship with the car. I understand that the Sig Red will still not be an option but maybe I can get a richer version of Red. I think it will be worth the wait.

brianman | May 4, 2012

@Volker.Berlin - "puff"
"poof"?

Volker.Berlin | May 4, 2012

brianman, thanks. :-) I am learning something new every day in these forums. You're right, that's what I meant. Looking up "poof" also reveals a British slang meaning of this word, which I explicitly do not imply!

MandL | May 4, 2012

I'm assuming that there some people with plenty of money who will "discover" Tesla over the next year or two and not be willing to wait three months to get a car from the manufacturer, or longer if there is still a waiting list. I'm sure Tesla would be very happy to maintain a 4-6 month standing order list.

Obviously there are already at least 1000 people willing to pay some premium to get their Model S early. It's not inconceivable that there will be people at least as impatient a year from now that would be happy to have a lovingly maintained low-mileage Signature at original cost rather than wait in line with everyone else. Especially once they've had an opportunity to ride in it. Or watched it zoom by in an HOV lane or park next to their old world MB at the country club.

Of course, I'm telling myself this story, but I know VB is just as likely to be right. For that matter, there is always a chance Tesla will pull a Fisker and every one of us will be out $100K

markdipaola | May 4, 2012

Hi all,

I have a Model S Signature Performance reservation # below 75, with estimated delivery ~8 weeks from now, in the first production run. I am willing to consider selling the car (or, with Tesla's blessing, the reservation) due to a change of heart.

Before the trolls attack, note that I'm a loyal Roadster owner who has spent all day hand-wringing over whether I want to sell the Model S I've been looking forward to for almost 2 years. My garage is full, and I would reeeeally love to play with the toy I've been waiting for, but I am going to go with logic over emotion in this case.

It is configured black paint, black leather, piano black trim. MSRP $97,900 + tax.

If Tesla does not allow a transfer pre-sale, you would purchase from me directly in Los Angeles.

If you have a serious interest, please leave me a message with your offer at 310-997-0263, and I'll return your call. (The tax credit may not transfer to you, so please take that into account.) Thanks!

LarsT | May 28, 2012

I'd be interested. I have a late Signature production number (#1118) and I'd be interested to swap or buy a number below 500. lars@thomsen.com

Pages