Forums

Anyone own a 911 and a Tesla concurrently?

Anyone own a 911 and a Tesla concurrently?

Hello, I sold my Cayman of many years a month ago and I am in the hunt for a 911, my dream car ever since I was a youth. I love my Tesla 85D and my daily driver in the foreseeable future will only be electric. My other car however will be a Porsche. I know these are two completely different cars but I would love to hear from people that own both and what to expect. Truth be told, my Cayman was incredible, the most fun I had had in a car...windy roads were phenomenal. But the Tesla experience ruined the regular driving experience (not handling) of my Cayman. Curious about Porsche 911 owners experiences.

RedShift | January 12, 2019

I have both an S and a Tesla Model 3. I have driven a 911. The closest analog to that is the Model 3, though not quite.
Talk to Carlk, he had a Cayman before becoming an all Tesla household.

SO | January 12, 2019

Get a M3P. That will probably ruin the rest of your cayman driving experience.

jordanrichard | January 12, 2019

I took delivery of my Model S in Mar 2014. At the time I had owned a 1983 911SC Targa since Oct 2005. Between Mar 2014 and June 2016, I put all of 1,500 on my 911. Summary, it got kicked to the the proverbial curb. I sold it to someone that had been after me for a year to sell it. Despite my Model S weighing literally 2,000 lbs more than my 911, it was faster through the turns simply due to the one pedal driving and instant torque. Once you hit the apex, the instant you “blip the throttle” you are gone. Also, being in CT, when it got to the cooler/colder months, one has to wait for nearly 3 gallons of oil (11 qt capacity) to get up to temperature before you could really get on it.

I will grant you that at times I miss the visceral experience of the sound of that flat six coming to life once you got above 3500, but a Tesla brings a whole new level of experience like the unrelenting push into your seat until you lift off the accelerator.

spineeric | January 12, 2019

What about the upcoming Porsche Taycan? Or the upcoming Tesla Roadster? But the sound of that flat six may not be something you can give up.

kerryglittle | January 12, 2019

I sold my 911 before I bought my Tesla P85D. The Porsche was a cop magnet. Or maybe it was just the way I drove it. LOL. It was a fun car but was getting me in trouble. It had a custom tuned exhaust and just loved the sound of it. Of course the Tesla would leave it in the dust and I haven't been pulled over once in the Tesla. So thats a good thing.

tes-s | January 12, 2019

"I will grant you that at times I miss the visceral experience of the sound of that flat six coming to life once you got above 3500"

Perhaps get a soundtrack and put the volume up to 11. :)

hafidortega | January 12, 2019

Maybe I will test drive the 3. Not a fan of the looks though to be honest, but I have had a deposit on one for a while.

Uncle Paul | January 12, 2019

Interesting how both the Porsche 911 and Tesla Model 3 have the same rear wheel drive/rear engine configuration.

The older Porsche provided a pretty pure driving experience, and the sound of the engine and it went through the gears was a part of the involvement, but recently the Porsche sounds like ASS. Not they pump false engine noises or amplified engine noises through the sound system to trick owners into that previous feeling.

They are pretty clever indeed, however knowing that that sound/feeling is faked is like finding out your wife has been faking her climax for years :(

Believe that over the coming years, many previous Porsche owners will move over to Tesla Ownership as it is real and pure. Current Porsche is moving away from the thrilling naturally aspirated throttle experience to the much less satisfying sound and feeling of turbo charged 4 cyl engines.

xdms | January 12, 2019

We have a Model S, but I used to have a Boxster. I miss the ragtop and the Porsche engine. I do have a track toy MX-5. It's nothing close to the Model S for everyday driving, but for trackdays (especially for smaller, more technical tracks like Streets of Willow or laguna seca).

As for 911, I only use it in cases of emergency ;)

inconel | January 12, 2019

I still had my 996 911 Turbo when I bought the P85D. My plan was to drive the Tesla on weekdays and the 911 on weekends. But something happened to me a few months after driving the Tesla. I started to find the following points more and more annoying:
1. engine/exhaust noise (the turbo was tuned to about 600hp, and I used to love the exhaust)
2. vibration
3. smell of gas
4. lag of reaction within the first half second of pressing the gas pedal

Within 6 months when the annoyance became too much the Porsche was gone...

The only thing I missed about the 911 was the stronger pull at highway speed (after the turbo has spooled up) and the nimble handling. But instead of getting the 911 now, how about saving the money for the 2020 Roadster?

inconel | January 12, 2019

Oh I forgot one thing: the 911 was a stronger chick magnet...

But again the Roadster should have a very strong magnetic field as well. After all don't forget that 1 Tesla = 10,000 Gauss!

RanjitC | January 12, 2019

I have owned a 911 C2S since 09 got my first P85 in 12, second P90D in 16 added 3000 miles on the 911 since 12. It takes a lot of effort to unplug the battery tender from the cigarette lighter just to listen to the flat six sing. Even though I live in southern California it does take a little while for the oil to warm up. Women do gush over both of them! For city driving I far prefer the Tesla especially since it does not do the nose porpoising on bumpy roads.

hafidortega | January 12, 2019

The roadster looks awesome, but alas too much $.

SeaDoc | January 12, 2019

996 porsche c4 and tesla 3 performance. Love the Tesla more!

NKYTA | January 12, 2019

85 vette, but Formula 4 at Laguna Seca makes all the difference.

NE_Xplant | January 14, 2019

Yes, I own 'em both though they aren't together. Have had my C46 Cab since 2008 in the Northeast and my Tesla since 2017 in SoCal. (Yes, I know the cab in SoCal would make a ton of sense, but I bought the 911 well before our part-time move to SoCal and have no desire to move the car to CA. I love both cars; they have entirely different rides and personalities. I miss each of them when I'm with the other but truth be told, I muss the 911 more when I'm in CA than the other way around! The Tesla is all tech and amazement and the future and the 911 is all sex and legacy and an amazingly involving drive. I also love the fact that I use my gears and clutch with the 911 but of course no such option with the Tesla. You used a good word when you wrote - visceral. Hope this helps

juangram | January 14, 2019

I live in Florida and I have a very long daily commute (96miles), so I decided to buy a Tesla Model S (85P). I also have a Cabriolet 911 Carrera 4 S that I use during the Week ends. Very different animals but great toys!!!
I just changed this week end my 2014 Model S for a new D75 before it is discontinued.

Silver2K | January 14, 2019

Juangram

You've got your monikers all screwed up

85P = P85
D75 = 75D

hafidortega | January 14, 2019

I have been actively looking for a 993 Porsche recently. Still on the hunt. The Tesla beats it in most every way, but yeah, Porsche has sex appeal that cannot be matched. Thanks for the responses. If anyone owns a 993 manual, would love to talk.

jordanrichard | January 14, 2019

993.....the last real 911.