Forums

Can you remember the 1895 Benz, or Orient Buckboard, or Bearcat?

Can you remember the 1895 Benz, or Orient Buckboard, or Bearcat?

These cars were state of the art at the turn of the century.
My friend restored some Buckboards in the 1950s, and I guess I have seen other older cars.
What we have in the Cybertruck is a return to original thinking.
I would guess that the CT and its copies declines from pure design over another 30 or so years.
I think that those who can buy a CT Classic will have a great investment on hand. It has some parallels with moving away from horses IMHO, moving away from pressed vanity designs and paint. In the future there will be a name for those old (current) designs. They will be a source of amusement, looking at Ford F-series etc, Hondas, Toyotas, bla...

RayNLA | December 26, 2019

Hmmmmmm!!!

jordanrichard | December 26, 2019

For all of the criticisms of the CT design it does get back to basics of a work truck that the current generation fo trucks has long gotten away from. As a few article that I have read recently pointed out, the current generation of trucks is more about styling than substance. As the prices sky rocket, the reluctance to take one’s leather cladded/tricked out with chrome truck off road/to a construction site, also goes up. I am sure that in recent years amongst truck fans, there has been a sense of invasion by pseudo truck people. I imagine it is the same as those who are “real” Harley Davidson riders versus the “weekend” riders.

So I think there is a real market for a back to basics, tough as nails trucks.

Varricks | December 27, 2019

Ken Purdy always said the Mercer made the Stutz look like a laggard.

I've worked on a 1906 Winton. Six cylinder, in pairs.

By the time we start having the CT available to drive/purchase, they'll seem routine. But at least we're finally starting to get the cool stuff we were promised in the sixties by Sports Car Graphic, et al.

Scrannel | December 27, 2019

Varricks -- yeah feel a bit like I'm finally living in those fantastic future cities from the old Superman comics. With all the fantastic gear.

gize | December 27, 2019

I wasn't around in 1895 so I have no recollection.

Ross1 | December 27, 2019

Well let me tell you, basically they removed the horse from the buggy and then the buggy went all by itself faster than the horse.

Varricks | December 30, 2019

And even faster when they added steering.