Forums

Consumer Reports Spring 2020 Survey

Consumer Reports Spring 2020 Survey

While doing research (for buying a TV) with the online version of Consumer Reports, I was invited (more like being nagged) to participate in their Spring 2020 Survey. I am a long-time subscriber and have always completed these surveys. Aside from wanting to know about my microwave oven and my dishwashing machine, I was asked about the ownership of my 2015 Model S.

The questions involved the usual. How many miles? Which equipment caused problems? How much spent on maintenance? You get the idea. I was also asked about my satisfaction with the vehicle. Tesla has always ranked the highest when it comes to ownership satisfaction (and deservedly so).

As has been the case since I purchased my Model S, I answered forthrightly. I have driven 57,000 miles with no major repairs and with little spent on maintenance. I was stunned when presented with the final question for the survey:

Please click 'somewhat satisfied' from the following responses.
Completely satisfied.
Very satisfied.
Somewhat satisfied.
Somewhat dissatisfied.
Very dissatisfied.
Completely dissatisfied.

WHAT KIND OF STUPID "QUESTION" IS THIS??? Consumer Reports is TELLING me how to answer? Were they trying to "force" a survey reply for me to (falsely) indicate something other than being very or completely satisfied with my 2015 Tesla Model S? OBTW, I didn't do as instructed - I clicked on "Completely Satisfied."

To prove my point, here is a link to my Dropbox of a screen grab in PDF format of that question.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s52qav262ga6cc3/CR_Tesla.pdf?dl=0

I am curious to know if other Tesla owners who are Consumer Reports subscribers will see the same.

sentabo | May 19, 2020

Conspiracy theory at work here? Mistakes happen. Poor QA.

barrykmd | May 19, 2020

sentabo | May 19, 2020
Poor QA.

They must have hired someone from Tesla.

FLP100D - Reardon | May 19, 2020

Venturing a guess at the structure of the survey, likely your candid responses produced a result in an algorithm predicting "somewhat".

EVRider | May 19, 2020

Same thing happened to me when I took the survey.

CatTrax | May 19, 2020

to the OP - It's an error . . . granted, a stupid . . . a very error, but I would hesitate in labeling it as a conspiracy. I love my Tesla too!!!

GTM | May 19, 2020

I recently took a J D Power survey which included "questions" like yours. However, they stated within the question that a certain response was required to make sure the respondent was carefully reading the questions. I noticed from your screen shot that there was no question, just instructions to click on a certain item. Poorly executed survey or some weird form of verifying the respondent was paying attention?

inconel | May 20, 2020

Could the question have been about what you think of CR?

dougk71 | May 20, 2020

I cancelled my subscription. CR has lost its way. There is a car guy they have that has a bias against Tesla. He says GM cruise is safer than AP on a Tesla. When pressed he said GM cruise restricts the roads it will allow use of cruise on. He said this restriction is for the safety of the driver. When pressed even further he admitted that GM had only LIDAR mapped 200,000 miles of road and if the road wasn't mapped by LIDAR cruise can't be used.
This is the same bias guy that said Tesla was dangerous since you could fall asleep driving and the car would continue to drive by itself before eventually stopping. This same guy neglected to say falling asleep in any other car but a Tesla would cause an accident.
No longer is CR reliable for its reports especially when it comes to transportation.

jordanrichard | May 20, 2020

The only question CR should be asking is how satisfied are you. "Problems/issues" is relative because most of the time "issues" is based on what one's expectations were. I have a 2014 MS with 178,000 miles and I could rattle off all of the things I have had replaced which would most definitely put it in the "unreliable" category, but it never left me stranded and I also knew going in that there would be some teething problems.

Another thing that factors into this is time. At a given point an issue would piss you off but as time goes by, you realized it wasn't really a big deal.

So again, any product review should simply ask owners how satisfied how you.

markbraukman | May 21, 2020

I saw that too. My guess (as someone working in IT) is that it is to verify that people are reading the instructions and not just going down the list clicking on the top (best) answer. Again my guess is that if the instructions were not followed, that the user's survey results would be voided.