Forums

driving safety bug related to 48.12.1 and how to report (frozen screen, incorrect speed and blind spot display)

driving safety bug related to 48.12.1 and how to report (frozen screen, incorrect speed and blind spot display)

Updated to 48.12.1 last night. This morning while driving I found when I switched from radio to USB music, the screen froze for a minute or two and then came back and then froze. The pattern repeats. Tried to reboot the screen a few times, the problem did not go away.

When it froze, the speed display and all surrounding displays including blind spot monitoring are frozen too and are wrong. I have asked for fix through the 'ask question' section in my account. Is there any other way to report bug to Tesla? This is not just that I can't play music, but degrades driving safety.

ICEMELT | December 21, 2018

Hope you have driven the old school car before without the bells and whistles.

Magic 8 Ball | December 21, 2018

In your owner's manual you will easily find instructions on how to report things to TESLA. They also give instruction on how to report to outside safety agency if you feel it is a serious safety issue.

Bighorn | December 21, 2018

Screen reboots and frozen speedos have been intermittent issues on Teslas for years. The price of having computers in charge. It's funny how panicky people get not having an accurate speed read out.

jimglas | December 21, 2018

I hope I never have frozen speedos. Doesn't sound very comfortable.

@jimglas
Probably not an issue if you're not from Quebec.

elan2018 | December 21, 2018

I was told that you can use the voice command to report bugs to Tesla. Just say "bug report". The data will be uploaded to their servers. Also it is good to note down the time so the engineers can find the right data point easier.

vmulla | December 21, 2018

The car drives fine even if the screen freezes while driving.

ffrr | December 21, 2018

@magic8ball, @lan2018, thanks for the tip.

ffrr | December 21, 2018

I am not sure if this will also affect auto pilot or not. I wish Tesla could have done more regression testing before releasing software update.

Magic 8 Ball | December 21, 2018

I have not heard of one report where "a critical safety function" was compromised by buggy software.

Lots of unfound speculation over an issue that I noted above has persisted for years. Some errors have been attributed to the transparent process of new firmware downloading.

Butrybm | December 21, 2018

I would disagree that a critical safety function wasn't compromised when this same issue happened twice during my morning commute today. A frozen screen is not ideal when the weather changes from light rain to heavy rain and you can't control your wipers. Now, sure, you could argue that it wouldn't matter if I was using "auto wipers,' but we all know how frustrating those can be. So frozen screens that reboot, can be problematic and even dangerous.

calvin940 | December 21, 2018

@Butrybm You can control your wipers. Left stock, push button in, wipers on demand, or push button in further for spray. no safety issue there and not dangerous as you stated.

Hadn’t thought about the wipers!! Now my PTSD over Y2K is being triggered.

I guess I can’t leave my Narcan and Epipen in the glovebox anymore.

ffrr | December 21, 2018

@Butrybm, so you ran into the freeze problem too? For me, It did not happen before the update.

jvlofgren | December 21, 2018

Yes, just noticed the screen freezes in our model 3 when switching from Radio to Streaming. It freezes the screen for about 5 - 10 seconds. I've noticed it doesn't freeze when you switch from Radio to Phone or TuneIn. Or if you switch from Stream to others it doesn't freeze either. Only when switching from Radio to Stream. I've tried rebooting the screen, that didn't seem to help. The work around for us is to go from Radio to Phone to Stream to avoid the freezing. Looking for a better way to reach Tesla regarding logging a "bug report."