Forums

Estimate when 200,000 cars will be sold?

Estimate when 200,000 cars will be sold?

In other words, when will we lose the federal tax credit?

Beagle | January 29, 2018

Don't forget. It is 200K delivered in the good old USA. Foreign deliveries, including other North American countries do not count. Before we knew how slow the 3 would roll out, I was afraid we might not get into the second qtr. for #200K. Now it is not inconceivable for that to stretch into the third qtr.

pierpont | March 1, 2018

It will be in April. if TSLA is at ~160,000 (US deliveries) now, and Model 3 adds15,000 and S&X do 20,000-25,000, he'll make it happen. he'd get roasted alive if he went over 200,000 in the next two-four weeks.
He's also pushed back deliveries on S&X into late spring, coinciding with this plan. Take delivery by September 30th and you'll get the full credit

Stayfocus | March 1, 2018

July is when they will hit the 200k mark

Beagle | March 2, 2018

Well, I'm still praying for April, but I'm not holding my breath.

cjones1675 | June 3, 2018

Any updates on when Tesla hits 200k cars sold in US? July? I am trying to decide whether I can wait for the standard battery Model 3 and still get the full tax credit.

Rutrow | June 3, 2018

Even if I could give you the exact day and hour of the 200,000th US delivery, it wouldn't help you make your decision, because nobody knows when the Standard Battery will be available. The question you ought to ask is: "When will the SRB be available?"

MarylandS85 | June 3, 2018

But yes, there is strong evidence that they will hit the 200,000 mark on July 1, meaning most likely that the $7,500 federal tax credit is good through Dec 31, 2018. The next question, as @Rutrow notes, is when will you get the SR Model 3?

dgstan | June 3, 2018

How will we know when they hit the mark? Will Tesla announce it with a press release? Will Trump tweet about it (and take full credit for Tesla's success)? Or will you only find out about the exact date when you try to file next year's taxes and the credit goes through?

priit | June 3, 2018

@dgstan You will most likely hear about it in the next quarterly results meeting or read about it from meeting notes or media coverage of those notes. Pretty sure most numbers before that will be speculation unless Elon tweets about it.

Nexxus | June 6, 2018

This just in....when Tesla delivers the 200,000th car on 7/1, they have 50,000 more waiting in the wings to deliver right away!

Wishful thinking on my part, but who knows? Probably Elon.

khanhvn | June 28, 2018

@Nexxus, probably not just a wish. There are real evidences of Tesla stockpiling model 3 before the D day :)

https:// seekingalpha.com/article/4184628-tesla-model-3-top-100-list-rising-fast

Tuning In | June 28, 2018

Digging through the dead discussion graveyard?

Atoms | June 29, 2018

Day after tomorrow.

wiboater4 | June 29, 2018

On July 1st. :-) They should throw a party for the guy who gets that car :-) or gal.

hokiegir1 | June 29, 2018

I'm going to be the lone dissenter, I guess.

I think July 2.

And only because July 1 is a Sunday and they are closed that day. ;)

ravisundaramam | June 29, 2018

Announcement will be on 6th July. You don't want a big splash announcement lost in the long weekend vacation cycle. Unless Elon drives a model 3 hand painted with stars and stripes on some Fourth of July parade, with a special 200kth car livery.

maintreqd | June 29, 2018

@ravisundaramam

funny you mention that. My girlfriend's brother has a co-worker with an estranged cousin who once had dinner with a guy who claimed to be high school buddies with Elon and he said Elon will be driving a model 3 hand painted with stars and stripes during a huge yet-to be announced Tesla Fourth of July parade, and that this car will be used for a special 200kth car delivery, just exactly as you have stated.

nicktrash | June 29, 2018

I think it will be Monday July 2, 2018.. And I don't think they have 50,000 cars ready to deliver. Probably 10-15K

John | June 29, 2018

Neighbor was delayed delivery until early July, pushed out 5 weeks "Due to better than expected demand." She was told this weeks ago. Lots going to Canada etc or maybe hidden in the tent with trucks blocking view (oh, maybe that's the surprise) 200K coming! 5K/wk here too I bet. Or at least proof of 720 in a day. TSLA $400/share, here we come.

This is why we took the bird in hand with RWD in April. Wasn't certain about the rebate and don't need AWD in Az. Plenty fast OMG! Waiting for .24 update, overheat protection please...

ravisundaramam | June 29, 2018

Would not put it past Elon to auction the 200kth car with special livery and badge for some charity and grab way more than 60K worth of publicity.

doctorsmile | June 29, 2018

MarylandS85 | June 3, 2018
But yes, there is strong evidence that they will hit the 200,000 mark on July 1, meaning most likely that the $7,500 federal tax credit is good through Dec 31, 2018. The next question, as @Rutrow notes, is when will you get the SR Model 3?

Q: Will the SR3 at least be ready in time for $3.7K credit ??

Studentid | July 2, 2018

Still not hitting 200k yet?

Pages