Submitted by nlukin on November 2, 2010
Firmware for Model S
I got an idea and I hope somebody from Tesla reads this.
5 Reasons why Model S needs to partner with Google or Microsoft for Model S Firmware:
1. Tesla is a car manufacturing company, not a software company.
2. Google, Microsoft or Apple all are software companies who developed a stable, well tested and high performing operating system for low powered devices with solid state storage (aka cell phones).
3. Google’s Android OS is open source so Tesla can customize it to incorporate vehicle features.
4. Google’s Android 2.2 OS already has “Car Home” feature which functions in a car mode with large icons, navigation, voice recognition, music, etc.
5. Partnering with a leading software maker will ensure Tesla software be on the leading edge with the latest mobile trends.
1 reason why Tesla should not develop its own firmware:
Why spend lots of resources to build firmware from scratch, when you can partner with a leading software maker and build on top of existing fully functional features?