Forums

Ouch Model 3 windshield replacement costs $1,600 !

Ouch Model 3 windshield replacement costs $1,600 !

My model 3 got hit by a small rock on the freeway yesterday. Now I need to replace the the windshield. The price to replace the windshield is $1,600. I have $500 deductible insurance and the insurance company will pay $1,100.
My Toyota Prius only costs $180 to replace the windshield lol !

sagz87 | May 15, 2018

Oh wow, thankfully Florida law covers all cost of windshield repairs.

sroh | May 15, 2018

Wow is right!

Is windshield replacement considered comprehensive or collision?

flntroc | May 15, 2018

One of the differences is that your Toyota Prius replacement glass was probably not factory Toyota glass & instead an aftermarket piece. Not necessarily a bad thing as I’m sure replacements are close or just as well made. I’m sure there are not any aftermarket companies making Tesla model 3 replacements, and maybe the only option for Tesla vehicles is factory glass

lilbean | May 15, 2018

Model X is about $3,000.

12Brent | May 15, 2018

@sroh, glass coverage is an add on coverage for my insurance, separate from comprehensive. I think this is the case for most of all insurance. It's $20 a year (or maybe every 6 months) in my case. Well worth it in my opinion.

badaman | May 15, 2018

Welcome to the Tesla family!

chuck | May 15, 2018

My understanding is that Tesla 3 parts are difficult to obtain and expensive right now because Tesla is taking them all to build new cars.

ebmcs03 | May 15, 2018

Last time I replaced a Prius windshield was $120. With PPG glass brand. That’s pretty much OEM. They make the OEM glass for Toyota’s and Mercedes.

rtanov | May 15, 2018

I had to replace my BMW i3 windshield last month and one dealer quoted $1700, the other $1100. So the price is comparable, the bad thing is there is only one Tesla service so no shopping around ;-)

sroh | May 15, 2018

Thanks @12Brent. I'd better look into it and make sure our coverage includes it!

Tesla4E | May 15, 2018

I replaced my Infiniti QX30 windshield a few months ago and it cost me over $2000 dollars so no complaints from you young man.

billlake2000 | May 15, 2018

Yes, good idea, we better check. You don't happen to have Costco/Ameriprise, do you, 12Brent?

12Brent | May 15, 2018

No, I have Travelers. I just switched from Safeco and it was the same way.

jsanford | May 16, 2018

Thanks for posting this! Reminded me to ask and I’ve added glass coverage. $30 with no deductible in Washington state.

jefjes | May 16, 2018

I always ask for the $50 deductible on comprehensive coverage. It usually doesn't change the price that much and if your car ever gets vandalized you'll be glad to have the lower deductible. My daughter has a $500 deductible and has been driving with a cracked windshield for months while trying to come up with the money to get it replaced. I will be asking for a glass breakage addendum when I add my Model 3 as that may be even cheaper and considering the amount of glass may be well worth it too.

hokiegir1 | May 16, 2018

Has anyone done ClearPlex on their windshield to help with this? Any ideas on cost?

jrzapata | May 16, 2018

BMW 328i with HUD is $3,500

Dansosa | May 16, 2018

I also got a rock chip within my first 10 miles. Was told I may have a wait for my glass. I checked with AAA they recommended Safelite Auto Glass. I have State Farm Insurance and they don’t cover the repair so it was $70 out of pocket.

Rodo | May 16, 2018

Small rock? How bad is the crack? You can buy a windshield repair kit and fix it yourself. I've used a couple (not on Tesla cars though) and they're pretty good. Sometimes the cracks vanishes, some other you see a small crack but they don't keep on growing. At the very least, they'll give some time to get the money for a full replacement.

jconaway | May 16, 2018

What? My M3 windshield can't survive a nuke blast like the semi? What a jip.

lvla06 | May 18, 2018

Thanks for the tip! Just changed my Comprehensive deductible with Geico from $500 to $50 and it only increased my 6 month premium $33.

The_Flash | June 13, 2018

ouch!! I also got a crack in my windshield now. actually I have 3 rock chips. 2 of them are really tiny, which I filled with windshield repair kit but the other one is slightly larger.
I really do regret not getting Opticoat Plus on the car as that would have minimized the damage, or fully avoid it..

hpn | June 13, 2018

If we have proof that our front windshield was tinted....will the insurance company pay for re-tinting?

Resrch03 | August 22, 2018

I got a rock chip 4 days into having the car (thanks to road work/lots of gravel, and drivers on the other side of the road going *way* too fast), and I came across this thread trying to get an idea of how much it was going to cost me. Just got the official invoice, and parts and labor (Tesla, of course - other companies may or may not be doing replacements for the Model 3 windshield, but p59 of the Owner's guide also notes: "Caution: If a windshield replacement is needed, take your vehicle to Tesla Service. This will ensure appropriate handling and mounting of the camera(s). Failure to do so can cause one or more Autopilot features to malfunction.") was just over 1/2 this amount (so around $830). The parts/windshield was $530, the rest was labor and tax (in Colorado, so 'your mileage may vary', as they say).

Resrch03 | August 22, 2018

[The chip quickly expanded into a nearly 2 foot crack, and I'm not havin' that on a brand new Model 3, which is why I went the full replacement route...might have just filled a chip of course]

bcwinc | September 26, 2018

My M3 just got stuck by a rock and cracked my windshield. can't believe how fast and far the crack traveled! Tried to find a company to fix it but found out all the autopilot / camera stuff on the windshield has to be recalibrated when you replace the windshield. I was quoted about $950. Tesla does not take the insurance but my insurance company will reimburse me...or at least they say they will!

Atoms | February 11, 2019

Currently $902 out the door with Tesla. Insurance will pay difference between 3rd party price and Tesla price with my insurance. Definitely getting protection film fo

Lonestar10_1999 | February 11, 2019

My Prius got a cracked windshield last month. Safelite replaced it for $350, but they came to my house and replaced it in my garage.

I recall a post on this forum about Safelite not supporting the M3. Is this rumor or fact?

jimglas | February 11, 2019

Safelight supports all tesla cars, the problem is they have to get the glass from tesla which can be very slow.

geoffdorn | February 11, 2019

I'm an insurance agent here in Portland with a 3. If you have a glass/windshield rider, ask your agent if the roof is covered by the rider. Mine is, but some companies evidently exclude glass roofs/sunroofs.

jwins | February 11, 2019

I had my windshield replaced last November at a SC. It was $830 out the door, which my insurance covered (once I talked to a supervisor). Safelite and others can replace the glass, but you still then need to take it to a SC to get the cameras calibrated.

climbbike | February 11, 2019

It's not just a Tesla thing. I just replaced a windshield in my Kia Stinger. $1,500

ODWms | February 12, 2019

I paid that to replace my windshield on a Land Rover more than 10 years ago.

rmlee | February 12, 2019

Cameras don’t need calibration

johnmcniece | February 12, 2019

I paid $831 or so in Tempe two weeks ago. Yay for full glass coverage and for State Farm to boot. They were both really great.

DevilNTesla | April 12, 2019

@johnmcniece - I'm in the Phoenix area and have State Farm as well. How did you handle the whole process?? Did u have to go through their 3rd service party provided, Lynx? They just told me that Tesla would not accept their rate.