Forums

Supercharger Coming Soon Map Updated (3/3/14)

Supercharger Coming Soon Map Updated (3/3/14)

Just FYI
http://www.teslamotors.com/supercharger

Now includes 4 locations in Canada

Idaho
Maine
2 in MA (Woods Hole and other location)
3 more in GA
2 more in FL
Another in NY
New Jersey
Delaware

jordanrichard | March 3, 2014

You are not the first to mention specific locations being added to the "coming soon" page, so I want to know, how do you and the others know exactly which town it is the dot is for. How did you nail down Woods Hole?

Is there a page that I am missing that actually lists the "coming soon" locations. I only see the "currently open" list.

brooklynrab | March 3, 2014

Does anyone have a sense, from past "coming soons", how far in advance the coming soon map projects? Three month range? Six month range? Hoping to get some of these locations on line for summer driving trips!

MassX1317 | March 3, 2014

There is no way it's going in Woods Hole. Maybe a business in Woods Hole would put in public chargers but Tesla wouldn't put a Supercharger so far out of the way that no one would use it.

I went back and looked at the map again, Woods Hole is actually south of the red dot. That's a pretty big dot, so if it were in Woods Hole, I'm sure the red dot would be covering Woods Hole.

tesla.mahedy | March 3, 2014

@jordanrichard

I have outside knowledge that the woods hole area was one that Tesla was targeting. The red dot seems fairly close to woods hole so I made an educated guess.

@brooklynrab
I think they mean that Tesla is trying hard to get these areas "online" as soon as possible.

wcalvin | March 3, 2014

Woods Hole is where the parking is for ferry passengers to the islands.

QtweetEV | March 3, 2014

The location between Montréal and Québec City appears to have moved west(compared to the previous Supercharger maps) which is not a good idea at all if Tesla wants to get eastern Québec business given the high interest for electric vehicles in our part of the world.

I, like most of us in Québec, was hoping for Le Madrid as the location of choice. Let's hope the actual location will be at Le Madrid on Chemin Rouge. Otherwise there will need to be a future Supercharger in St-Jean-Port-Joli or La Pocatière.

What needs to be taken into consideration is that the St-Lawrence river acts as a huge wind funnel that cuts very much the S's autonomy on most days.

Thanks in advance to Tesla for taking these realities into consideration. Also thank you to the Tesla Team for the exellent engineering that you in this fabulous machine.

Have a great day!

Bighorn | March 3, 2014

Falmouth is more likely than Woods Hole

Eknight47 | March 3, 2014

re: Woods Hole... If they're thinking about Ferry passengers then the Hyannis docks are a far better and more centrally located option for both folks going to the islands and those that just want to use it. I grew up on Cape Cod and have been to Woods Hole maybe twice because it's so far out of the way. Not a good choice in my opinion.

hsadler | March 3, 2014

@Bighorn

'Falmouth is more likely than Woods Hole'

I dunno.... looks like Sandwich to me.

Excuse me, I'm suddenly hungry.

InfamousNic | March 3, 2014

@QtweetEV

The distance between Drummondville (where the SC cseems to be positionned) and the Madrid 2.0 is only 20-25 km. How would that mandate another SC in SJPJ? Not that it would not be nice but IMO, Drummond does the job.

Brian H | March 3, 2014

Qt;
Use the word "range" instead of "autonomy" here. That's kind of a Euro-English translation of the French, and is never used by native speakers, except in other contexts to mean "freedom from control".

wcalvin, bighorn, hsadler

What I mean to point out is that this would serve as a play for cape and island day trippers as well as people who don't have chargers in their homes.

In the Vineyard for example, one could charge at Cronigs (although painfully slowly) as well as the wall outlet and wind up having enough range for your time on island. Then you can get back on the Cape and supercharge and head home.

In my opinion, for people whose destination is the Cape and Islands the supercharger is well placed. Its placed close enough to the ferries that it will allow someone to charger there fully, spend however much time they want on the Islands (as long as they plug into the wall at night) and be able to make it back to the Superchager without having to worry about finding a faster charger.

A

Bighorn | March 3, 2014

Alex
I think it's the folks who want to drive out the cape who really need the charger. Islanders aren't going to be putting a lot of mileage on their vehicles and they likely have access to 120V outlets at their accommodations. I lived in Falmouth and worked in Woods Hole, so my thought was that Falmouth was better positioned to serve both purposes than wending one's way down to Woods Hole amongst the ferry riders and then backtracking to get out to Nauset or Ptown or wherever.

I'm sticking with Wareham, Bourne or Sandwich!

I think Tesla would be an awesome car for the islands. Gas is so expensive there and those who live there could save the $10k and get a 60 and never have any range issues.

tes-s | March 3, 2014

Almost all of the chargers on the last "coming soon" map were delivered in 3 months. My guess is this "coming soon" map is planned to be completed in about the same 3 months.

And if history holds, the next 3 months will see a couple that are not on the map, and couple on the map will get delayed.

Bighorn, I think we are in agreement.

I want to see an SC in Syracuse next.

A

Bighorn | March 3, 2014

Alex
I think so, about the cape.

I'd like to see Albany next, then Syracuse. Makes sense from a NYC perspective, as well as Boston, and even East Greenwich, RI.

Bighorn you're in Wyoming or Montana? You should come east some time, would love to meet you.

Bighorn | March 3, 2014

Alex
Wyoming, but born and raised in Albany and I have a daughter at Brown, so I get back regularly. In fact I was in Providence two days ago for an orchestra concert. I'll be driving there in May after finals.

Where are you? Always happy to meet other Tesla zealots!

Eknight47 | March 3, 2014

Woods Hole is in Falmouth. Just sayin'

Somewhere between the bridges would be nice too. Or the Exit 6 Park & Ride in Barnstable.

Actually, it's nice that the Cape is even being considered.

SparkOfGenius | March 3, 2014

It makes way more sense to have the Cape Cod SC located along Rte 6, likely in the Sandwich area. There's far more traffic on Rte. 6 to the Cape than to the islands, Sandwich is roughly midway between Greenwich and Provincetown, and an SC at the ferry dock would get ICEd (or EVd) all the time. If I had to bet, I'd say Rte. 130 just south of Rte. 6.

That said, I have a wild idea: install SCs on long-haul ferries! It would be easy to position EVs to a given location in the ferry (just dedicate a waiting lane to them). Equip the SC with an extra-long cable to be able to reach several EVs in succession. Assign a crew member to oversee the charging (most long-haul ferries shoo civilians off the car deck). Your car is topped off while crossing the water!

This would work on the Cape, the Great Lakes and especially in the Pacific Northwest, where there are a lot of 1+ hour crossings. I expect that the ferry companies would be more willing to play if they could charge extra for the service -- and I think that most EV owners would be willing to pay for it.

hsadler | March 3, 2014

They would sink with the weight of the battery system needed to provide enough power.

tonysled | March 3, 2014

Very psyched they added Atlanta and Macon GA to the "Coming Soon" supercharger map. Now I can go from Franklin TN to HHI SC in my model S! Sweeeeeet

DJung | March 3, 2014

Yes we got Primm, NV back!

CU OPEC | March 4, 2014

I would definitely say Primm, NV (stateline) is mandatory. So is a much needed upgrade (120kw, more stalls) in Barstow.
Bad bottleneck on one of the most traveled corridors in the US.

Lycanthrope P85 | March 4, 2014

And absolutely NO UPDATES for Europe once again.

Come on Tesla, this is absolutely ludicrous. One month ago, when Elon graced us with his mercurial presence, we were promised quote a lot. He even stated that the Europe SC map needed to updated.

And still, zippo.

It's incredibly frustrating.

tes-s | March 4, 2014

Just saw the Tesla announcement for Syosset. "First superchargers on Long Island".

I guess that is west-coast geography.

Eknight47 | March 4, 2014

hsadler - solar. Not much shade out on the water :-)

jordanrichard | March 4, 2014

If in fact a SC is going in Woods Hole, that would be a mistake. Actaully placing SCs at tourist destinations is a mistake. Take Woods Hole which is a stopping point to hop on the ferries. Do you get to leave your car hooked up all day while out on the islands.... What about other MS owners that need to charge up. You are certainly aren't going to pay for another ferry crossing when the car is done charging.

I think they will/should be it on the West side of the canal at either the Bourne or the Sagamore bridge.

plusplusjames | March 4, 2014

@tes-s: Funny how the JFK Superchargers are mysteriously NOT on Lawn Guyland...

tonysled | March 4, 2014

Lycanthrope, wasn't there just an announcement today regarding putting more Service Centers/Supercharging Stations throughout Europe?

http://www.teslamotors.com/about/press/releases/tesla-commits-further-ex...

patience young Jedi!

There's been lots said recently, but no action.

Show me don't tell me!

xrayangiodoc | March 4, 2014

From a Buffalo area prospective, Syracuse would be a priority before Albany. Would eliminate range anxiety from a large part of the state. When they are both in a trip to the NYC metro area is practical.
As everyone in the area KNOWS JFK is in Queens. Syosset is on Lowng Island!

tonysled | March 4, 2014

So Lycanthrope, when did you take delivery of your model S? It would be helpful to known where you are and when you took delivery so maybe something constructive can be done to help you. Just pissing into the wind will get you nothing but wet!

My P85 will be delivered on 28th March.

I live in Brussels, Belgium and was really hoping to be able to drive to Denmatk in April, Provençe in May, Germany in July and Denmark (again) in both July and August.

To be honest I don't expect all of these to be feasible, but there hasn't been an new SC in Europe for three months now. Lots of high and mighty statements, but nothing other then that.

Here in Europe we don't even have the "coming soon" SC's like you get for the US.

Sure I'm venting some frustration, but Tesla really need to get some kind of grip here, they are bloody awful with their customer communications.

plusplusjames | March 4, 2014

@Lycanthrope: Hey, at least you can drive all over Germany! Today!

@xray: I find it funny how many people think there is a "canal" between Queens and Nassau County.

SD Supercharger | March 4, 2014

Lyc-
Have patience. What we now know about Tesla is that they rarely make a statement and don't back it up. Sometimes, its not within the projected time frame , but when Musk says it, it is very likely to happen.

Countless people here have been unable to take planned trips do to supercharger delays (permits, weather etc.) --but eventually, everything goes down as planned.

Regarding communications in general, this has not been one of their strong points--but we all cut them some slack, because in the big picture, they are focusing most of their energy on succeeding. When a new company like Tesla is going through relentless growth---communication is the first thing that heads south..

tes-s | March 4, 2014

@++J: Guess it is a left-coast perspective.
@xray: You too?! Upstate perspective?? :)

A bit of Germany, plusplus

It will come, I'm sure of it, and when it does start to happen it's going to feel very good indeed.

SD Supercharger | March 4, 2014

TES-S
Didn't The Doors coin the phrase "The West is the Best"?
The west coast is now the economic engine of the US.
California is the land of the creative--and the home of the Tesla. :<)

tes-s | March 4, 2014

@SD - Didn't Sam Cooke coin the phrase "Don't know much about geography"??

bevguy | March 4, 2014

tonysled, it will be nice to be able to go east from the Nashville area. But it looks like there will be a significant wait before we are able to go any other direction without depending on a RV park to charge up.

tonysled | March 4, 2014

sorry bevguy, my sights are set on heading south so the new GA supercharges will be workin' for me. Nashville => Atlanta=> Macon=> Savannah => HHI. Takin' the clubs and the kids and heading down to the beach. Yes!

theapple | March 4, 2014

I am totally stoked to see Portsmouth/Kittery/something on that list, at last! No more needing my wife's car to go to Maine!

tesla.mahedy | March 4, 2014

@jordanrichard I see it differently than you do.

I'm going to update the thread to say "SC that serves Cape and Islands."

Take me for example, a person who live in Manhattan and frequently visits the Vineyard for days during the summer. I leave and I charge in Milford for a bathroom break. I make it all the way to the SC near Wood Hole. I charge there to 90 percent while waiting for the next ferry. Now, because I have a surplus of range, I don't have to worry about finding a J1772 (or faster) charger on island, all I have to do is plug in to the wall at night and partially recoup the range lost that day. Now when I want to go home I can make it to the same supercharger and charge enough to get back to Milford and then NYC.

tesla.mahedy | March 4, 2014

Take me for example, a person who lives in Manhattan and frequently visits the Vineyard for days during the summer. *

...and I proof read. :(

Brian H | March 4, 2014

Golf on the beach would be dangerous. But you'd only need your driver and sand wedge. ;)

AmpedRealtor | March 5, 2014

Wow, 10 - count 'em 10 - superchargers in Arizona! That looks like one of the higher supercharger counts outside of California. Seems like Tesla is expecting a lot of usage in Arizona... Hmmm... gigafactory...

NKYTA | March 5, 2014

@AR, stop drooling! ;-)

Pages