Trading Reservations

Trading Reservations

I have a reservation in 10,XXX. I drove the model S last week and loved it. I really do not want to wait until mid 2013. I assume some people with reservations are coming off lease and their "number" is being called before the car is desired/needed. Does anyone want to trade an earlier build slot and is Tesla OK with formally swapping - with consent - reservations?

Brian H | November 19, 2012

Not outside of family; seems they don't want reservations to be treated like transferable claims in a secondary market. To get around this would technically require both parties taking delivery as originally scheduled and foregoing the tax credit(s). Complex and pricey!

mrspaghetti | November 19, 2012

I'm 10888 and by my latest calculations I could have the car as early as March 8 and no later than May 16. You don't have long to wait.

bobinfla | November 19, 2012

@Mrspaghetti - I can almost guarantee my P6918 will be ready for delivery on March 15th (since I'm leaving for St Thomas the 14th). So you can safely work your calculation around that assumption.

mrspaghetti | November 19, 2012


I put you Feb 2nd to March 17th. I don't think you have to be much of an optimist to expect you'll get the car before you leave for St Thomas.

mrspaghetti | November 19, 2012


Are you 85kwh/ActiveAir? That's what I assume with the window above.

GLO | November 19, 2012

We are P3534 and we told Jan/Feb and it did not matter if we had 60 or 85 kw. Active air too. I don't think anything in the 6000's will be before May, if hte current run rate continues.

mrspaghetti | November 19, 2012


The "current run rate" is not continuing, it is increasing.

Also, remember that there are x% cancellations, so Tesla only has to produce (100-x)% of R cars to get to a given reservation number R.

I calculate you'll get your car between January 5th and January 25th.

I also predict that all 6xxx reservation numbers will be delivered by March 18th.

Let's see how good my numbers are :)

Volker.Berlin | November 20, 2012

There have been lots of debate and rumors and contradicting information... As far as I can tell, the latest information has been that you may swap spots with another reservation holder. You may not sell your reservation outright, but you may swap spots, which of course implies the possibility for someone to reserve and swap spots with you, so that finally you can simply cancel your reservation -- which on the bottom line effects to selling your spot. If you really want to know, you should contact Tesla. My information may be wrong or outdated.

Here are some older discussions on the topic:

brewdr | November 20, 2012

@Mrspaghetti -
Any chance you could share your calculations? I am p2667 (performance). I thought I had a shot at end of December, but seems my estimate and optimism are slipping. I know you have to factor in cancellations and delivery of 85kw batteries first, but there are also Canadian Sigs and R reservations to consider.
Thanks in advance.

Jeff6 | December 26, 2012

I would be interested in swapping my spot P309. You can email me