Let me start off by saying I am so happy Tesla has finally given us Adaptive Cruise Control or what they call TACC. TACC is the ability to set cruise control and have the car automatically keep a safe distance between you and the car in front of you. This feature has existed for years from other car manufactures.
My only comparison of this feature is with Mercedes, Lexus, and Land Rovers. I have to say there are a lot of features I like better with Tesla’s implementation but there are a few that they need to address.
I find it much safer to always drive with TACC on when driving in stop and go traffic or at speed on the highway. When you press the accelerator you can drive seamlessly with TACC on and let it do the breaking for you. I think the is the key word when describing Tesla's TACC. Seemless.
Here are my impressions please share yours:
1) TACC is Limited to 90 MPH - I am told by friends that make long drives in states that don't have speed limits that setting the cruise control above 90 MPH should not be limited by the implementation unless the radar and computers cannot handle it.
2) TACC Does NOT include blind spot side warnings when attempting to change lanes into moving cars - Mercedes, Cadi, and others produce cars that warn if there is a car or motorcycle in the lane you are attempting to turn into or even as the traffic approaches. I believe all cars should ship with this feature.
1) TACC has Smooth braking when approaching cars in front of you at speed or stopped. Mercedes jerks you around like the Indiana Jones ride at Disneyland.
2) TACC has Autostart after coming to a complete stop has clear message to press the accelerator pedal again. Mercedes just sits there and if there are any messages what to do I have not found them.
3) TACC is Easy to set the distance between cars in front of you using by rotating the cruise control stock. Very clear controls.
4) TACC has a lot less front impact collision warnings than with Mercedes when approaching cars in front. I did have distance set to 1 and warning set to Medium and had one instance where the Front Collision warning came on. I was a lot less eventful than when Mercedes warns you and have you to lock up the car. Tesla stops smoother and faster with dual motors.
5) Left turn signal blinker auto acceleration is nice when changing lanes