Forums

V9 Feedback From Forum Members?

V9 Feedback From Forum Members?

Does anyone have any thoughts on the new update? What do you think of it? Now might be a good time to share your likes and dislikes.

dameyersman | October 16, 2018

Just got off the phone with technical support (2 hour hold time). I am taking the car into a service center to have it reverted back to the previous version (hopefully).

The update has some features which some people might want, but none of them were of any interest to me personally (don't need Atari games, a way to record the dash cam and I wouldn't trust the autodrive to fully maneuver on the highway). The 360 degree icon view is a joke, as it sees cars that aren't there and often shows ghost cars ramming into my car or into each other.

The biggest drawback (and they are getting a nonstop flood of calls about it) is that they took away the ability to have the rear camera on top. The person I spoke with couldn't guarantee it, but said they will LIKELY find a way to revert to the previous UI. When I told them they either revert the car back now, or I would be selling it and getting a different brand, they set me an appointment to take the car in, where they said they MIGHT be willing to roll it back.

Overall, I think this is an INCREDIBLY poorly thought out update.

murphyS90D | October 16, 2018

IMHO the V9 update was done by people that have never driven a Tesla. The black and white trend reminds me of what Apple did to iOS several years ago. Maybe the people from Apple are now at Tesla.

leong1234 | October 16, 2018

I too want the rear view camera on the top screen!

sr.smr | October 17, 2018

scottk19691, please let us know if service successfully restores V8. I like the much improved autopilot that now works much less aggressively on V9, but am prepared to give it up just to get the V8 UI back.

tes-s | October 17, 2018

I have an 85 with V8 and will trade for a MS with 75 or larger battery. I'll drive anywhere in the US to do the swap.

Anthony J. Parisio | October 17, 2018

I really like the V9! It seems much safer and smarter. The only thing I would like to see is the split screen option returned. Not for me but for those who want it.

bp | October 17, 2018

Let's put this into perspective...

What other manufacturers today have...

> 15-17" console displays large enough to be able to display more than one app?

> and, if they support multiple apps, provide the ability to control the location & size of each app window?

> provide all of the vehicle controls through the console user interface? [other manufacturers limit functions while moving]

> use a simple touchscreen interface, vs. another (less efficient) pointing device?

> allow the rear camera display to be on at any time (not just when backing up)?

> committed to providing software updates & new features for the lifetime of the car (2012 Tesla's also got V9)?

And have this in a long range EV, with support for a long distance supercharging network integrated into the navigation software?

While it's true V9 is missing obvious features (Apple CarPlay/Android Auto, waypoints, playlists, route customization, real-time traffic warnings, placement of app windows on the top, more customization of the dashboard display, …) - how many vehicles are on the market today with the overall capabilities of the V9 software?

Just like with previous major releases, it will take us some time to get over the disappointments with some of the changes in the latest release. Could they have done better? - yes.

But we didn't buy our S or X because it had a great UI - we bought then because they are great long range EVs - and despite the relatively small frustrations with the V9 UI changes, that hasn't changed. And, like with previous releases (V8, V7, …), we'll get used to the changes - and go through this frustration again when V10 comes out...

If loss of the rear camera window at the top of the console display or any other specific software feature is the major reason for owning a Tesla, then rather than trying to rollback to V8 (and freezing out any improvements in the navigation, media player, AP software), it's probably better to sell/trade-in the Tesla for another vehicle.

What vehicles are on the market today that are better than a Tesla with the V9 software? And what other compromises will be made to get it (such as going back to an ICE, or having an EV that can't easily take road trips)?

barrykmd | October 17, 2018

bp - you're missing everyone's point, which is don't take away flexibility without a good reason. I don't consider dumbing down the S/X to look like a 3 a good reason. They are 2 different classes of vehicle, and more importantly, the form factor of the displays are very different.

Does Lexus dumb down their LS to make it look like a Corolla?

jordanrichard | October 17, 2018

So all of these complaints are really coming down to "camera gate".

People are threatening to get rid of their car over the loss ability to move the camera to the top of the screen. Go buy a Lexus and ask them to give you the ability to rearrange their dash to your liking........

Ask Lexus to let you enter an address into the nav sys. while moving....
Ask them to allow you to even have the rear camera on while in drive.......

Mathew98 | October 17, 2018

Like Barry stated, if they wanted uniformity, why not get rid of the MCU altogether and use standard radio and HVAC controls with a thousand buttons?

Why not cut the AWD option completely and sell RWD
exclusively? It would cut inventory and production costs.

That line of reasoning doesn't pass the sniff test. Please provide one valid reason that a user configurable screen layout would hurt the V9 screen layout? It never caused a problem for V1 to V9.

StatsApp | October 17, 2018

V9 is a huge technological leap that's given to us for free.

RU64 | October 17, 2018

I want the radio, etc. on top and the map on the bottom. PERIOD!

talels | October 17, 2018

I really like the V9 update, and I always have maps on the top anyway. I tried using the rearview camera on top when I had V8, but there was too much movement and it was too distracting for me.
The improved autopilot is great, and I like the new blind spot monitoring on the instrument cluster. Also I find the new media player is much easier to use.

Mathew98 | October 17, 2018

Again, how would giving us back the option to customize the layout somehow lessen your V9 experience if you elect to keep navigation on top?

Do what you want and place the apps where you want. How would that offend anyone when I'm driving MY car to MY configuration?

PBEndo | October 17, 2018

Any updates or improvements to the UI should be made with the goal of adding and improving features while causing no reduction in features or function for anybody. This is a difficult target to hit and usually results in some compromise. If the improvement is beneficial enough and the loss is minimal, the trade-off is worth it.
Unfortunately, in the specific case of the maps always on screen in version 9, there is no trade-off. Having the maps always occupy the top of the screen offers little to no improvement for anybody while it is a dramatic reduction in functionality for many. Somebody involved in the process should have flagged this change and said "Why?"

bas9940 | October 17, 2018

The new autopilot and blindspot monitoring are nice improvements. The dashcam feature is also appreciated. These override any minor inconveniences of having to get used to the new interface and the way split screens work. Plus, Atari games are awesome. Nostalgic! =)

carlk | October 17, 2018

PBEndo Maps always on is probably the way future FSD cars will be using. You will always be needing the navigation map either running foreground or background when FSD is in operation. Some say V9 for S/X is dumbiing it down to the 3 level but they forgot the 3 is actually the latest design. It is the first car ever designed with future FSD in mind. The screen layout, the phone key the inside camera are all for that. I wouldn't be surprised that the next gen S/X will be more like the 3 than the current S/X design.

I do hope Tesla could reverse V9 back to V8 for those who want it that way though. Putting the camera on top of screen should not be that hard to do but even that may not make everyone happy. Making V9 the old split screen way is not going to happen.

SoCal Buzz | October 17, 2018

+1 @BP, nice post. I really like just about everything with V9. Sure, it would be great to have flexibility to select a default app for the top part of screen (who knows, we may just get that!). And it seems just offering this feature would resolve the vast majority of complaints.

But the overall UI is better in my opinion. I like having the menu at bottom of the screen and the smooth swipe gestures to stretch / close various functions. The media app is easier to use and comes in 3 flavors depending on preference. I'm sure a future release will remember your preference to streamline use.

And we have many new functions like HOV on Nav, sending Nav destinations from mobile app, remote SW updates, dashcam, etc. All of this is well worth the change, and I'm not even mentioning the most important... 360 use of all cameras for AP (which I realize does not benefit everyone, but is crucial to Tesla's AP vision and competitive position).

murphyS90D | October 17, 2018

@bas9940
Only cars that have AP 2.5 have the dash cam feature.
None of the previous cars have it.

ByTor | October 17, 2018

Anyone else having problems with volume starting at zero (can't hear the other person until adjusting volume on the left steering wheel button) when placing cell phone calls through Bluetooth? This was never a problem before V9. Coincidence?

PBEndo | October 17, 2018

@carlk
I understand Tesla may have a long term UI goal in mind, but I don't buy the argument that having maps on the top screen full time is needed for FSD nor that it should be in every car now. When I am a passenger in an Uber, I don't need to see a map display at all times. Being a passenger in a FSD Tesla would be no different. Now that we can send destinations via the app, there is even less need to interact with the touchscreen map. Once FSD arrives, we no longer need the camera at all, whether in drive or reverse. We also don't need the dash display of the surrounding cars, etc. so why are these features still available? And more to the point, FSD will never be available for my 2 cars.
So what reasoning is left? It is easier for Tesla to develop one firmware version despite it reducing the functionality of many cars. That is not acceptable. Stopping development for older cars is bad enough (AP1 ain't getting better) but removing features they previously had - that is just not right. I hope Tesla was surprised by the feedback they are getting and will realize the mistake they made. If they aren't surprised and went forward with this plan despite knowing how many would be hurt by it, they are no longer the company they used to be and that would be a shame.

Tldickerson | October 17, 2018

@PBEndo, Plus 1000 %

carlk | October 17, 2018

SoCal Buzz I too think it's an overall much better UI with many nice touches. The icon bar at bottom is easier to reach than the the old one on the very top too. The map is that way because it will need to be always on when FSD features start to roll out whether you let the car to drive itself or not. That is just for the future but that, not to diminish certain people's camera screen issue of course, works pretty nice for me too since that's the way I always use it and it's just getting better now.

Not only the media has three sizes each one has different layout that allows you to see and do different things. Makes certain quests much easier to do now. The nav has some cool new features but I promised in my heavily trolled thread that I will not reveal what I have found until some smarter people figured that out themselves first.

Do people have choices? Of course they do. If you want the car to be like all other cars and be exactly the same way when you bought it just never update it. Again I hope what the poster mentioned to roll it back can be done.

carlk | October 17, 2018

PBEndo See my post above. There is no need for it in non-FSD cars but it's unreasonable to have very different UI in different models from both software development and users who own multiple cars points of view. I resisted to update to Win8 from my Win7 and Win10 because I'd lose some features like my Google desktop search and certain spread sheet features I used to use. Finally MIS told me I had to do it and found out, after using the new version for a while, the latest one is leaps and bounds better in every way than the old one. It might take a few iterations to get there but you have to believe the direction is always to get things better (for most people) and not worse.

carlk | October 17, 2018

...resisted to update to Win8 and Win10 from Win7....

carlk | October 17, 2018

Another thought is Tesla could announce stop updating four or five years old cars just like Microsoft has always been doing. Tesla does not have to custom make software for each model and it does not make sense to spend valuable resources to serve many older versions with different functionalities forever. Pretty soon there will be so many of them out there. So better not to get what you've wished for.

PBEndo | October 17, 2018

@carl
see my post above regarding trade-offs.
Having a goal of a unified firmware doesn't explain mapgate. Not only is your argument for having the maps on top all of the time for FSD unsupported, there is also no reason they had to remove the options for other apps.
As far as being forced to try it, this is a silly argument. I have tried the maps for years and I didn't like them. Forcing them on my screen without some major improvement to the map that I already don't use is not going to result in my opinion of the maps changing
.

Azred50 | October 17, 2018

What a bunch of whiners. I’m glad my S and 3 screens are now more alike. As for leaving the rear camera on constantly, that’s a crazy distraction unless one is virtually blind.

carlk | October 17, 2018

PBEndo I'd love to think you know how things will go better than Tesla but there is little if any chance that could be the case. Tesla is just going to make the overall better package and continue the path only it knows. Whether some think it missed their "must haves" is irrelevant if it's against the road map. Otherwise all smart phones would still have keypads.

Silver2K | October 17, 2018

Tldickerson | October 17, 2018
@PBEndo, Plus 1000 %
-------------------------------------------

I'm sorry but +1000% is definitely Kiss-Ass! :)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

My loaner got V9 last night and I really didn't mind the difference until I wanted to swap. that kind of irked me a bit. I then used the 3 window option and it seemed great until I decided to use the GPS and the 3 window option disappeared. I pulled over and tried and tried to no avail.

I don't use the camera, but I do like the option of have music and another app running.

I agree with others that taking away features is kind of dumb. Usually when "upgrading" an OS, you keep your current features, add new features or improve upon then. That did not happen here, especially when you think about the cold weather package options. the buttons got much smaller and clicking on the seats to turn the heat on has gotten much smaller also. Extra clicking here and there is not supposed to be added to the operation of the vehicle at all, in fact there should be less clicking!

JR,
I get what you're saying about no one else providing these updates, but there should be an understanding where our vehicles are computers on wheels and theirs is not.

Silver2K | October 17, 2018

Tldickerson | October 17, 2018
@PBEndo, Plus 1000 %
-------------------------------------------

I'm sorry but +1000% is definitely Kiss-Ass! :)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

My loaner got V9 last night and I really didn't mind the difference until I wanted to swap. that kind of irked me a bit. I then used the 3 window option and it seemed great until I decided to use the GPS and the 3 window option disappeared. I pulled over and tried and tried to no avail.

I don't use the camera, but I do like the option of have music and another app running.

I agree with others that taking away features is kind of dumb. Usually when "upgrading" an OS, you keep your current features, add new features or improve upon then. That did not happen here, especially when you think about the cold weather package options. the buttons got much smaller and clicking on the seats to turn the heat on has gotten much smaller also. Extra clicking here and there is not supposed to be added to the operation of the vehicle at all, in fact there should be less clicking!

JR,
I get what you're saying about no one else providing these updates, but there should be an understanding where our vehicles are computers on wheels and theirs is not.

Silver2K | October 17, 2018

this new laptop is pissing me off with these double posts!!
Trump may be right about Huawei!

:)

dameyersman | October 17, 2018

Where Tesla has run into a serious legal issue with this update is that camera on top was being constantly sold as a FEATURE of the car.

They will be in serious legal jeopardy from S and X owners if they don't revert to the previous UI.

Silver2K | October 17, 2018

scott

ive never seen or heard that one before.

anyone else hear/seen this?

Mathew98 | October 17, 2018

Navigation can run in the background if FSD is deployed. The hardware can work with the software without it being displayed on the screen. The argument that navigation needs to be defaultes on top of the MCU does not hold water.

Can anyone explain why the rear camera that is automatically displayed on top of the screen for safety reasons while backing up shouldn't be places on top for the same safety reasons while driving for those who use it?

QA failed to test some important use cases, period. Did these developers test drive the release in pre AP MS/MX at all?

It's a clear case of QA fail...

murphyS90D | October 17, 2018

My car will NEVER have FSD since it is AP1.

I don't need to see the map unless I am on a trip, which is usually twice a year and at most is four times a year.

The control button row on the bottom is dangerous. I can't see out the windshield with my peripheral vision when I am looking down there. Who will be the first to be pulled over by a cop because he thinks they are texting?

PBEndo | October 17, 2018

@carlk
"I'd love to think you know how things will go better than Tesla"

I am not saying I know better than Tesla regarding the best path for the company. They have to make the choices that they feel are best for them and hopefully those align with their customers. That doesn't mean I have to be happy and accept it nor does it mean that Tesla knows better than me regarding what I want. Likewise, you shouldn't assume that Tesla has such an incredible vision of the future that every single step they take is a carefully crafted integral step needed for them to win 3 dimensional chess.

This is simple. This change is a positive for you because:
A. You are such a fanboi that you will insist everychange is for the better no matter the details
B. You happen to prefer maps on the top of the screen at all times anyway.

Imagine instead you were:
A. An open-minded person that could form opinions based on evidence
B. Somebody that after 5.5 years of driving a Tesla still did not use maps on the top of the screen often and preferred some other app.

Can you honestly say you would feel the same as you do now?

Haggy | October 17, 2018

Personally, I'd like to be able to move the camera to the bottom of the screen. That is, when backing up, having it on the top of the screen, partially blocked by the Homelink drop down is annoying and more than borderline dangerous. I'd like to see the parking sensor part on top.

Fortunately, V9 fixes the problem of the top row of icons being overlayed, since they are now at the bottom. But the stupid Homelink drop down design has been a thorn in my side from the onset.

Aside from that, I think it should be customizable to what each user wants, not just what I want. Overall I'm happy with the new design, but other people paid as much for their cars as I did.

The argument that "Tesla knows best" makes no sense. If you take that position, then you'd have to think that Tesla got it completely wrong in the past. But that alone undercuts the "Tesla knows best" argument. Tesla got it right when they came up with something that potential customers wanted to buy because they liked what they saw. It's nice when Tesla can come up with something that improves that, for those who consider it an improvement. But for those who started out with what they paid for but no longer have it, it's a different story.

T35LA | October 17, 2018

I'm not Tesla owner (yet).
New Tesla owners maybe will like V9.

Silver2K | October 17, 2018

T35LA

the new owners haven't seen anything else, so yes, they will like it and not know what we've gotten used to.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

+1 sentabo for starting a very fair and informative thread.

Silver2K | October 17, 2018

ByTor | October 17, 2018
Anyone else having problems with volume starting at zero (can't hear the other person until adjusting volume on the left steering wheel button) when placing cell phone calls through Bluetooth? This was never a problem before V9. Coincidence?
------------------------------------------

haven't notice this issue, but I will be heading out soon and will check

yours truly,
snowdog

Mathew98 | October 17, 2018

The mothership has found another way to speed up all Tesla models production time by a week!

Going forward, one can order any color paint they want from Tesla for free, as long as it's black.

dborn @nsw.au | October 17, 2018

Australia has not started receiving ver9. From what I read here, that is a good thing.
I would greatly like the remaining features of the Mobileye chip unlocked, and I believe there are many. Stop sign recognition for one. There is no good reason why the new owners of Mobileye could not be contracted to allow this.

carlk | October 17, 2018

PBEndo

***This is simple. This change is a positive for you because:
A. You are such a fanboi that you will insist everychange is for the better no matter the details
B. You happen to prefer maps on the top of the screen at all times anyway.***

I'm a fanboy because I like what Tesla is doing and trust it will continue to make good decisions. And I want to look deeper into everything to try to understand it so I can maintain my fanboy statue. Being a fanboy is the result not the cause.

Yes I always want the map on top the screen and never use the camera while I'm driving. I don't think there is anything wrong with doing that either. It is always the best that you adapt than wanting others to do what you want which does not always happen. Keypad on a smart phone is just one example.

***Imagine instead you were:
A. An open-minded person that could form opinions based on evidence
B. Somebody that after 5.5 years of driving a Tesla still did not use maps on the top of the screen often and preferred some other app.***

Anyway those are just philosophical arguments. The truth of fact is still Tesla likely will add option to make it possible to move camera to the top for people who want it that way. There should not be that hard to do. On the other hand to go back to the vertical split screen will never happen. Bitching and whining and not happy will never get anyone anywhere. When you're "vanting" you have to also think where did that misery go. Again using the smart phone keypad example learn to adapt can sometimes be the best way out.

Haggy If you don't trust that Tesla knows best than you have to find another car company that knows the best. Nothing can be perfect even though my wife thinks I'm perfect (just kidding of course). One just has to settle with what is the best. Although to me it's way better than to "settle with" the best.

Mathew98 | October 17, 2018

@Carlk - We always have room for fanbois here. But it is not cool to use the same line "find another company who could do so and so..." whenever someone disagrees with you.

@Haggy has been around just as long as some of us old timers. Perhaps it's time to lift the horse blind and put yourself in others' shoes for a change...

dameyersman | October 17, 2018

Started the conversation with my attorney today regarding a class action lawsuit about this update.

The split screen, camera on top was sold to us as a specific safety feature to help alleviate the poor sightlines in the Model S. With this change, Tesla has taken away this fundamental safety feature that was an integral part of the safety features of the Model S. (Cannot speak for an X as we never considered one b/c it was too long for the garage).

By pushing out Version 9 and refusing to reinstall version 8 to those who have requested it, Tesla has significantly reduced the safety of the vehicle and changed the fundamental nature of the car. This has negative impacted drivers and reduced resale capacity of the car, to the tune of millions of dollars across the fleet.

barrykmd | October 17, 2018

Scott - was your service appointment today and they refused to reinstall v8?

SbMD | October 17, 2018

@scott - instead of going to the courts, work your way up the chain and send feedback to Tesla. I venture an educated guess based on feedback here and at the service centers that this is reaching a volume that is not going to be ignored. Tesla needs constructive feedback, like any successful company. I suspect that your car is still drivable with v9, although your concerns are understood.

Hart | October 17, 2018

@ scottk - Legal action? I think you are a nut case.

kawdennis | October 17, 2018

I loaded the new software @ 6:30 this morning, drove the car to coffee shop returned home @ about 8am parked car inside garage and pluged it in as usual my wife returned home @ about 4pm “in her Prius: she tried to open garage door but it only went up about 2 ft the Tesla drove itself into the door is the only answer I can think of

Pages