Forums

System Powering up press brake when this message clears

System Powering up press brake when this message clears

I have been having this problem where periodically when I get in the car I get this message and I have to sit and wait a while before I can drive the car. Then when I can start driving the center MCU stays off and I have no AC or most other features. This seems to happen randomly and can happen in as little as two hours after I last used the car. I have called support and they have had me do various reboots but the problem continues.

Has anyone else seen this?

BarryQ | 29 juillet 2018

I know this sounds strange - but try resetting your trip odometers. Apparently they can hog memory and cause problems with the MCU.

Anthony J. Parisio | 30 juillet 2018

Did you try a hard reboot of both screens?

jordanrichard | 30 juillet 2018

You can drive the car while the car is rebooting. I have lost count of the number of times in 4 1/2 years that I have rebooted while driving. It happened to me just last light. I was at a traffic light, I had my blinker on and it was sounding off, but then I noticed that my arrow wasn't flashing and of course noticed that the car indicated that I was going 17mph. So I did a reboot, both screens went black as I made my turn.

Eletrek | 30 juillet 2018

I had exactly the same issues but primarily in cold weather. You're wasting time with these other suggested solutions, as I did. Contact service again and insist they replace the MCU as that is the only real fix.

jordanrichard | 30 juillet 2018

30 seconds to try a reboot first is not a waste of time. It will take much longer to call service. It certainly wouldn't hurt.

I too have gotten this message, in the past, I believe three times in 4+ years.

Haggy | 30 juillet 2018

Make sure that you didn't leave the web browser on a busy screen that dynamically updates. I had the problem when my wife left it on ABC News. Setting it back to Google made the problem go away.

Sailfast | 31 juillet 2018

What OP reports also happened to me, yesterday ( on 2018:26). First I unplugged from the HPWC. Then when the car revived enogh to run, I began driving, but the center was still dark and there were still no AC and no radio. The “last charge” info was right but the miles for the “current trip” said 17 miles. At this point I had driven less than 2 miles. The thumb wheels were not contolimg anything but I did use them for a reboot. After another mile of driving, the “current trip” miles switched to match the “miles since last charge” which by then were probably under 3 miles. Our car is a Jan. ‘17 build.

kberryman12 | 9 août 2018

Mine did the same thing today. Reboot didn’t work. Have to wait nearly 2 weeks to get it into the Service Center. Hoping it fixes itself before then.

RedJ | 9 août 2018

Last Dec-Jan I had this issue 4 or 5 times but then it went away. I assumed it was a bug associated with that particular sw build.

EVRider | 10 décembre 2018

I just took delivery of a new S100D and I’ve seen this a few times. Both the instrument panel and touchscreen are on when it happens. I’m in south FL so it has nothing to do with cold weather. I’ve rebooted. I think I only saw this message once in my previous S85. I’m running 2018.46.2.

acerfacer | 10 décembre 2018

EVRider ... I had the identical experience this afternoon with my new S 100D. I'm also running 2018.46.2 and received that update late last week.

DermMD | 12 décembre 2018

New S100D picked up 3 weeks ago. This happens everyday. Predictably first thing in the morning and at the end of the day from work. I did think it was due to the cold but I guess not. It does not bother me enough to waste time dealing with Tesla service.

EVRider | 12 décembre 2018

The delay doesn’t bother me, but it also seems that my music USB gets reloaded when this happens, so it takes a while for USB playback to start (and sometimes it doesn’t start at all). At least the USB loads much faster in my new car than it did in the old one.

packpike | 12 décembre 2018

It's extremely annoying to me in our '18 MS, especially having a '17 MX that doesn't have this problem. Apparently with the new MCU that was introduced earlier this year, Tesla believes that the power options that were available are no longer needed. I'll run into the grocery store for 5 minutes and then come back out and have to wait on my MS to 'wake up'. Also, it makes pre-heating/cooling my MS much less enjoyable because I have to wait, sometimes minutes, for the app to connect, so I can't do it just before I leave the office like I can with my MX. I essentially have to 'pre-plan' my departure so that I build in time to wait for the app to connect. I know these are small issues, but I have none of these issues with the MX, so the disparity highlights the issue for me every day.

TranzNDance | 12 décembre 2018

Wow, that's annoying. Thanks for making me feel better about having an old MCU. :)

jskimd | 12 février 2019

I am having same problem with my 70D delivered in 9/18. It never happened with my older 65D. This was not happening when I first took the delivery but has been happening after ver 9 update. I can wake up with app before approaching the car but it is annoying to wait 10 to 20 seconds before I can put the car into Drive.

Is this happening to all new MS with new MCU. Would appreciate feedback from other owners. I had taken to SC but clueless.

EVRider | 12 février 2019

@jskimd: The feedback you’re looking for is already in this thread, you just need to read it. :-)

matt | 17 février 2019

I'm really amazed that this isn't at the top of the forum list - I guess the problem exists only with those of us who have new MS with the new MCU, and there aren't enough of us yet. I find this to be a security issue - try jumping in your car and have to wait 20 - 25 seconds before you can do anything. It's crazy!. It happens almost every time I get in the car, and the latest software update didn't address it. Honestly, anyone thinking about upgrading your MS to a new one should consider whether you can stand this, because it is annoying enough to me to wish I hadn't upgraded (this is my second MS).

Scorpyo | 17 février 2019

This has happened twice to me and every time it looks like the problem was the USB port. As soon as I disconnected the usb cable the MCU booted properly. Now I keep the USB disconnected and haven’t had an issue in several weeks.

joe | 17 février 2019

jskimd, this seems to be how the newer models are. I have a 2016 S and it is ready _immediately_ after my butt hitting the seat. With my Aug 2018 S, about 3/4 of the time, I get the "Systems are Powering Up..." message. About 1/4 of the time, I'm left there, sitting, looking like a moron, for about 10-15 seconds. Every time it happens (several times a day), I want to toss the 2018 into the river. Why a 75kWh battery can't allow the control systems to stay "powered up" if the car has been used within the last 24-48 hours is a mystery to me.

rxlawdude | 17 février 2019

Seeing the same thing on a 75D loaner.

SoCal Buzz | 17 février 2019

Same thing on my MCU2.5 running 48.12.1. I was wondering if the TeslaCam USB might be related, but sounds like not if you had loaner @rxlaw.

bhanuk99 | 17 février 2019

This has been happening every day in addition to the rear camera going dark on my 2018 S100D that I took delivery end of Dec 2018. However, I did not have that problem on my previous 2017 S75. The service center checked out the car including the software update and said it is a known issue and that it may be fixed in future updates. The most annoying thing is when I park in reverse on to a driveway and I have to reboot the car that it irritates the other drivers. I was told to always precondition the car for few minutes with the App before I get into the car if I want to avoid the issues I am having.

matt | 18 février 2019

OK, I've reset my trip odometers, and have taken out the USB stick for the TeslaCam. Neither made any difference. This happens EVERY time I get in the car.

Imagine every time you get in the car, count to about 25 before you can do ANYTHING. Can't enter a driving destination, put the car into reverse or drive. Just twiddle your thumbs and try to be patient.

A 2018/2019 Tesla Model S makes a TERRIBLE getaway car.

The only thing I can figure is that Elon drives an older car, as I can't imagine him putting up with this constantly, every time he gets in the car. If he had a new MS, this would be fixed.

PagemakersS75 | 19 février 2019

Happening to me more and more often. Say 30% of all startups.

S 2018.50.6

Rt. 66 | 19 février 2019

I have a 75D purchased last March. The delayed startup was occurring about 30% of the time. Last week I had a situation where the problem escalated and I needed to make a service call. The problem began with the usual message,however my touchscreen went dark and I could see a yellow line on the side of the screen. This lasted about 20 minutes. During this period I was unable to drive. Slowly the dash display came back and I was able to go on my way. The a/c and nav. Took another 5 minutes.
I contacted service after things got back to normal. Their fix was both a soft and hard re boot. I was told to do this monthly and there would no longer be a problem. That may not be the case because I got the delayed start up message again yesterday.
I previously owned an 85s and never had this issue.

Rt. 66 | 19 février 2019

I have a 75D purchased last March. The delayed startup was occurring about 30% of the time. Last week I had a situation where the problem escalated and I needed to make a service call. The problem began with the usual message,however my touchscreen went dark and I could see a yellow line on the side of the screen. This lasted about 20 minutes. During this period I was unable to drive. Slowly the dash display came back and I was able to go on my way. The a/c and nav. Took another 5 minutes.
I contacted service after things got back to normal. Their fix was both a soft and hard re boot. I was told to do this monthly and there would no longer be a problem. That may not be the case because I got the delayed start up message again yesterday.
I previously owned an 85s and never had this issue.

packpike | 19 février 2019

@bhanuk99 - preconditioning does not help, at least not for me. I precondition multiple times per day and still get the delayed startup periodically.

muhammadfm123 | 19 février 2019

I've seen this happen with my MS, but only in colder weather conditions. Or when the car was in deep sleep.

mialink | 19 février 2019

I have had this happen twice in the last month in my ‘17 90D.

matt | 19 février 2019

I think we've confirmed this is a problem due to the new MCU in 2018 and later cars, so anyone reporting this is not their issue in earlier cars isn't helpful.

mialink | 19 février 2019

My earlier car seems to have this problem also. How is another data point not helpful?

EVRider | 20 février 2019

When was MCU2 introduced?

DermMD | 20 février 2019

Each time I have preconditioned, I have not had to wait. Indeed the less frequent issue is the back up camera going completely dark at times. This seems to always recover after a hard reboot. Not always practical so occasionally I have to recall my skills of using the mirrors to back up. These two issues are annoying on newer models but I take solace in the the fact that they will almost certainly be fixed with a software patch. ICE cars would require a visit to the dealer if not completely ignored until the next model year.

SoCal Buzz | 20 février 2019

@EV, I think it was ~ Feb 2018.

EVRider | 20 février 2019

@mialink: If SoCal Buzz is correct, your 2017 car has MCU1, so your problem is very likely something different (even though it has the same symptom). With the new MCU, the problem happens every time you access the car (at least for me).

A possibly related issue in MCU2 cars is that the car reloads the music USB most of the time you access the car (maybe 85%) -- this happens on my wife's Model 3 too (though she doesn't have the delayed startup). This issue doesn't seem to affect everybody with a newer car.

PagemakersS75 | 20 février 2019

I have MCU in a 2017 car. Happens to me

bhanuk99 | 20 février 2019

@packpike: I agree. Even tho the SC made that recommendation, I also noticed that the picture display from the rear camera is inconsistent. After I reset with simultaneous press of scroll wheel and brake it comes back. It is definitely very annoying.

jskimd | 22 février 2019

I guess this problem is more prevalent than I thought. So far only solution I have come up with is using App to wake up the car before I get to the car. I don't know why but the duration for the message to go away varies from one second to 20 plus seconds. It seems like if I take time to get int he car and put the seat belt on before stepping brake pedal the message goes away quickly and ready to drive. Waiting 20 to 30 seconds is ridiculous especially this was never a problem in previous model. Quality of workmanship is slipping. Can we invoke Lemon Law for this problem?

thranx | 22 février 2019

Twice in the last 3 weeks in my 2016 75D. Maybe one time prior to that.

Something is definitely going on.

Ackdoh | 22 février 2019

I hate it as well, what if someone was trying to rob you or do harm to you as you enter the car and not being able to escape quickly? One workaround though, if you remember to do so, is as you are walking up to your car, wake it up using the Tesla app, and it should stay awake for about 5 mins before it goes back to deep sleep.

EVRider | 23 février 2019

@jskimd: Read about the Lemon Law and you’ll see that it doesn’t apply here.

billUK | 23 février 2019

I was under the impression that AP2 came in a few months after I received my car in June 2016. I thought that MCU2 was a pre-requisite for AP2

EVRider | 23 février 2019

@billUK: HW2/EAP was late 2016, before MCU2. According to https://teslatap.com/articles/model-s-changes-from-2012-to-2019, MCU2 came in March 2018.

matt | 24 février 2019

This weekend I was in and out of my car on errands at least 20 times, sometimes for only 2 minutes. I got the 20 second "wait" power up message at least 16 or 17 times.

It's incredibly frustrating to jump in your car and do... nothing ...for 20+ seconds.

I've had 2 software updates since this started happening all the time, and still hasn't been fixed. (insert mad emoji face here)

thranx | 24 février 2019

@matt; I'm still on v.8, so it may not have anything to do with recent software updates.

maiorino | 3 mars 2019

2018 MS 75D March 2018 build MCU-1
Running 2018.50.6 (21,543km / 13,300 Miles)

This happened now and again in the past year but recently (three weeks) it's been happening about 80% of the time. 30 - 40 second wait before I can drive and another minute or so before the centre screen turns on. I'm in Canada (hence the spelling of centre) and always precondition the car and that has had no effect. I charge 99.9% of the time at home with a HPWC at 42A. The only things plugged into the USB are my phone and a 500GB SSD for the TeslaCam. Have removed both with no change.

MCU I and II seem to be affected by this from what I'm reading here.

Are we all AP2.0 or 2.5?
It appears not to be V 50.6 as SOCAL is on V 48.12

Soft and hard reboot hasn't fix it for me.

Thoughts? Anyone?

Bueller, Bueller........

vp09 | 3 mars 2019

It happened to me today.

I was trying to back the car out of the garage to show a potential buyer. I'm selling my 2016 S90D with 14,001 miles on OnlyUsedTesla.com and there was the man standing around waiting while I looked at a black center screen. April 2016 build.

I pressed both scroll wheels down and waited for 10 or 12 seconds-- nothing. I did that again two more times-- nothing happened.

I put it in R and backed out without any center screen. Then the big T came up, and then it came on.

Not a great way to demo a car!

It is running software 2018.39.6 8377b4d. It would be nice if it ever updates.

jskimd | 4 mars 2019

EVRider, I just read California Lemon Law and this problem is getting close to the criteria.
"The problems are covered by the warranty, substantially
reduce the vehicle’s use, value, or safety" If this problem exits while showing to prospective buyer and cause to reduce value then ....
Tesla texted me saying future update would fix this. Remains to be seen...

NKYTA | 4 mars 2019

I drove the full state of Pennsylvania with a dark MCU, so I’m calling BS on “safety”.

MCU replaced when I returned to the Bay Area.

All armchair litigators should be litigated.

Pages