Forums

'Immersive Sound/Audio' Off, Standard or High

'Immersive Sound/Audio' Off, Standard or High

Opinions?

Mike UpNorth | 17 octobre 2018

I listen to hip hop. I can barely tell the difference....I think Off has a little less distortion IMO
Only been streaming Slacker.

gballant4570 | 17 octobre 2018

Where do you find/choose this setting?

Click the equalizer. It's in one of those menus.
Couldn't find anything in the manual about it. I'll Google it tomorrow....but curious what everyone prefers.

ODWms | 17 octobre 2018

I can barely tell the difference either way. I use immersive because I think it’s “better.”

Its the same menu where you can allow DJ commentary (after a few days allowing I turned off the commentary....not anything interesting IMO)

Must be a Slacker thang....

borne.by.wind | 17 octobre 2018

Lower left part of music screen has an icon of sliders. The settings are highly personal, but immersive turns on the pillar speakers. My preference is that with a slightly more bass and treble boost (+3, +1.5, +1, + 1.5, +2.5) and the fade slightly rear of center (about 10%). YMMV, so spending a few minutes sliding the equalizer and fade settings may improve the default settings.

Maybe not a Slacker thang? I'll have to look for that.

jithesh | 17 octobre 2018

Not much difference but I just keep it HIGH. Although it gives me too much bass for some songs.

Bighorn | 17 octobre 2018

@gballant
It’s an everything thing. Immersive only for 70s disco.

@Borne

Immersive turns the pillar speakers on? How do you know this?
I think they're always on.....

An everythang thang......but I cannot stand the disco.....or the hip hop for that matter..... maybe I'm better off not knowing,

When in doubt, read the manual. Now I just have to remember in the morning.

@GBA

Not in the manual.

There's 3 options for a reason. If 1 was the "best" there wouldn't be 2 other options (IMO).
That's why I'm asking the crowd's opinion on which one you like most and why... Maybe it depends on your music genre preference and what are you using; slacker, USB, etc

Check manual page 94, section titled "Audio Settings"

borne.by.wind | 17 octobre 2018

@michael Put you ear up to the pillar speaker and run through the various settings. My driver’s side pillar speaker goes from no detectable sound to a fair amount of it with immersive. As I said before, no single setting sounds best for everyone, nor for all kinds of music. Adjust it the way you like it best.

@GBA

Good call. Didn't find that section when I looked.....BUT no mention of 'Immersive Sound' options.....so the mystery continues.

@Borne

Interesting! I will try that tomorrow! Thank you.

Pg 94 - "you can also turn immersive sound on and off".....I'll have to try it

@GBA

Page 94, for me, per online manual, is in regards to climate control. Are you using an old manual or is it my account?

Also, I know how to turn it off, standard and high....my original question was which do you prefer and why.......just saying

dwakelee | 18 octobre 2018

Highly subjective, but I've bumped the lower base up a bit (more so on the 1st lowest, less so on the 2nd lowest), pulled the fader toward the rear a bit, and immersive standard. Other popular settings are setting the EQ to a 'U' or 'V' shape, and turning immersive to high. For me, I found that immersive high or EQ setting high had too much treble - and doing both was just way to tinny. This will also depend on your age and hearing.

I do wish there was separate settings for FM vs. Slacker, as I'd set each one a bit differently if given the option. I've found that songs on Slacker also seem to want varying settings song-to-song, as well as needing to mess with volume. FM is more consistent - haven't tried USB yet.

gballant4570 | 18 octobre 2018

Must be my old manual. I should download a new one. Thanks for the heads up....

neylus | 18 octobre 2018

Agree with Borne, off = no pillar speakers, standard = pillar speakers low volume, high = pillar speakers high volume.

dwakelee - it sure will depend on your hearing. I had a lot of trouble hearing trebles (I always hear high, high pitched whines) until I got hearing aids last month. That changed a lot of things, including the sound of my favorite guitar.....

neylus | 18 octobre 2018

Always "on" btw, flip flop between standard and high for fun. It really an impressive feature that gives the interior a very open live sound-stage effect.

JH89 | 18 octobre 2018

So it looks like I'm in the minority here. I've found the immersive sound only adds an echo-like sound to the high end of the spectrum, so I turn it off.

I've been a little disappointed in the sound system overall. The speakers are quite high quality and I'm very satisfied with them, but the processing that delivers signals to the subwoofer and large speakers is not up to par (granted, this could also be related to Slacker).

The system seems unable to deliver a wide enough spectrum of frequencies to the subwoofer to account for different types of music. It works for grunge and more current pop / rock, but totally fails to deliver bass on classic or 80's rock. You can hear Eddie's guitar screaming and David Lee Roth clear as a bell, but the bass and bass drum rhythm punch are noticeably absent even with the bass EQ at 8.

I would also really like separate EQ settings available for different inputs. When trying to use offline Spotify through Bluetooth from my phone, the incoming signal is so wildly different than Slacker that it would require changing the EQ to make it even listenable.

This all seems like software. Some tinkering could really do wonders for performance across different genres. That, and please please integrate Spotify. It is superior in every way.

enssea.algerie | 18 octobre 2018

My driver's side column speaker goes from no discernible sound to a decent lot of it with immersive. As I said previously, no single setting sounds best for everybody, nor for a wide range of music. Change it the manner in which you like it best. https://cleanmaster.me/ , https://downloader.vip/facebook-lite/ , https://mathway.vip/

MRNot01 | 18 octobre 2018

I haven't found a reason to disable immersive on high. I primarily listen to AOR/melodic rock/heavy metal, with the occasional smooth jazz thrown in, almost all from the USB, avoiding metal mixes that participate in the Volume Wars(tm) (over the past couple of decades, it seems all non-indie hard rock has moved to an absolute FULL SATURATION/wall of noise normalization scheme and that has many drawbacks, esp in a stereo system like the one in this car; I've actually begun ripping stuff, and repairing/normalizing down if needed, before making MP3/FLAC for the USB in the car.. It's nice if a little troublesome)

staze | 18 octobre 2018

I tried playing with it the other day. Provides a wide "soundstage" for the higher frequencies (i.e. vocals). Sounds good with classic and alt rock. I didn't notice the higher bass with the hip hop. My boys will be happy about that. I'll have to check it out. I still miss the Ultra High Fidelity Sound from my Model S.

staze | 18 octobre 2018

I tried playing with it the other day. Provides a wide "soundstage" for the higher frequencies (i.e. vocals). Sounds good with classic and alt rock. I didn't notice the higher bass with the hip hop. My boys will be happy about that. I'll have to check it out. I still miss the Ultra High Fidelity Sound from my Model S.

tri_t_to | 18 octobre 2018

I found leaving it on standard gives the best imaging for vocals. The EQ is kinda basic, I would like them to add an optional for parametric EQ.

I tried this today, and selected high. I left that setting on. It gives a bit more of a surround to the sound - likely due to the pillar speakers.

Bighorn | 18 octobre 2018

If people knew they were getting more speakers, I think everyone would turn it on high and adjust the equalizer accordingly. "My car's got 11 speakers!"

tri_t_to | 18 octobre 2018

When the immersive sound is turned off, vocals kinda sound like they are coming from the dash. With it on standard, vocals sounds like its right in front of me in windshield. With it in high, the vocals sound dispersed and hard to locate.

Mike UpNorth | 18 octobre 2018

I decided I like Standard. Whoever made the statement about the pillar speakers being louder I think you are correct....Also did a google search and found some cool info.

jjgunn | 18 octobre 2018

I use the Standard setting with the EQ center channel about -7 (Take out the mids) w/ left & 2nd left (bass) EQ +6.5 & +3.5 - Far right EQ & 2nd right EQ about +5 & +3

Immersive sound Off decreases the "highs" & loses the dynamic sound. High offers tinny sounding highs - Standard is just right with the EQ settings I have - Crystal clear bass & perfect sounding highs - none to very little mid