Forums

Model 3 Owner’s Manual (PDF) updated

Model 3 Owner’s Manual (PDF) updated

For those who didn't notice, Tesla recently pushed a new version of the Model 3 Owner’s Manual (PDF) on their website. It is now 184 pages. The previous version was 182 pages.

laurc02 | 10 janvier 2019

I´m waiting for my new car

Neomaxizoomdweebie | 10 janvier 2019

Has anyone done a side by side comparison to see what’s been added?

lunde | 10 janvier 2019

The "Charging Instructions" and "Easter Eggs" sections have changes/additions. I haven't done a full comparison, and likely never will.

lunde | 10 janvier 2019

I used Acrobat to compare the previous and current versions, and created a visual "diff" file. Lots of changes here and there.

TeslaMarque | 10 janvier 2019

I find it funny how they describe emissions testing, almost like they’re embarrassed by it. I don’t see how it connects in any way to the holidays, other than its release date. It’s always funny to see the word “farting” in an official document of any kind. Let me state for the record I have nothing against “ET” or any of the other Easter Eggs and find them cool, if for nothing else than how unconventional they are.

Also, I noticed this while reading my warranty manual:

Please include the following information:
• Your name and contact information;
• VIN;
• Name and location of the Tesla Store and/or Tesla Service Center nearest you;
• Current mileage;
• Description of the defect; and,
• History of the attempts you have made with a Tesla Store or a Tesla representative to resolve
the concern, or of any repairs or services that were not performed by a Tesla Service Center or Tesla authorized repair facility.

Isn’t asking you for the “history of attempts” you’ve made to resolve an issue kind of admitting that their service needs work, for lack of a better phrase? I love my Tesla, but no one should have to be making multiple attempts to get a warranty issue fixed. I hope this doesn’t happen regularly, but Tesla including it in the official warranty doesn’t bode so well.

EVRider | 10 janvier 2019

Here’s a link to the updated manual — the publication date is Dec 20: https://www.tesla.com/content/dam/tesla/Ownership/Own/Model%203%20Owners...

jimglas | 10 janvier 2019

@lunde: post your differences please

jimglas | 10 janvier 2019

@lunde: post your differences please

lunde | 10 janvier 2019

@jimglas: It is a 20MB PDF file.

lunde | 10 janvier 2019
mrburke | 10 janvier 2019

@lunde - WOW you did that with Acrobat®. Impressive product.

lunde | 10 janvier 2019

@mrburke: Quite.

Finoguy | 10 janvier 2019

Excellent work, @lunde--thanks for doing that. Very helpful!

jimglas | 11 janvier 2019

thanks @lunde

bitbasher | 12 janvier 2019

They changed the wording of the keyfob to NOT say that a lanyard is included.

lrdunham | 23 mars 2019

h

msalter23 | 2 mai 2019

I have a 2019 March 20 built model3 awd performance ....blue exterior with White seats....and interior dash..what is the proper conditioner and cleaning technique Recommended .....??

dmastro | 2 mai 2019

@msalter23: I could make a recommendation if you had red exterior with 2018 December 23 build date, but all bets are off for blue from 2019 March 20.

EVRider | 2 mai 2019

@msalter23: Why are you asking in this thread?

Carolenickell | 24 mai 2019

We just bought a Model 3 today.

scotstramp | 15 juin 2019

Trying to catch up.

EVRider | 15 juin 2019

By the way, the Model 3 manual was updated again (publication date May 16): https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/model_3_owners_manual_north_am...

Model S manual updated also (and Model X, I assume).

SolArray | 15 juin 2019

This made my day! Includes up to version 2019.16.1, Publication date May 16, 2019.
As a long-time creator of technical documentation for hardware/software solutions, I had been pleading the case with Tesla for some time to include Version Info in the online Model 3 Owners Manual (downloadable PDF). We now can see the most recent software version for which features were documented even though it is a 'living file' (continually being updated.) As EVRider said - the last page also now contains a publication date.

Ideally, there would be a "change summary" early in the file saying what significant changes were made - but even this 'versioning' is a significant improvement and something owners truly needed.

SalisburySam | 16 juin 2019

While I welcome the version number on the manual, I’d much prefer the pub date be on the first page rather than the last. The pub date is an instantaneous indicator of how current the manual is. The version number has to be compared to my recollection of a previous version number to determine currency. As it is now to see the date, you have to scroll (at least on my iPad and in the vehicle itself) 193 pages to the end. Cumbersome and unnecessary.

I agree with others that it would be nice to have changes from previous versions highlighted in some way. That may be too difficult to actually pull off, and make the manual look more like a multi-edited document in Word. What could be done however is to highlight any new topics or significant changes such as the maintenance requirements changes a few months ago.

lunde | 16 juin 2019

This is old news, as the new manual was made available at the end of May. I did a PDF "diff" back then for those who are interested: https://www.dropbox.com/s/lvu6assm3mo9oer/CompareReport_Model3OwnersManu...

EVRider | 16 juin 2019

@SalisburySam: The Model S manual has both the version and publication date on the cover page, so I don’t know why they don’t do that for the 3. A workaround for scrolling to the end — go to the table of contents and click the last entry.

syclone | 17 juin 2019

When the manual comes up on screen, just hit "end" on the keyboard - you will immediately be looking at the back cover with the Pub date.

SalisburySam | 17 juin 2019

@EVRider, good tip thanks, and I’ve been doing that. But the last ToC entry takes you to the Index and you still have to scroll through the compliance and other stuff for several pages. Tesla, just put the pub date on the cover.

@syclone, works on a desktop but no such key in the car or on an iPad. Again Tesla, just put the damn pub date on the damn cover, damn it. Damn!