Forums

Safety related back up bug

Safety related back up bug

This has happened to me a number of times now. I’m in the garage, I put the car in reverse and slowly back up, I hit the garage door homelink button, my garage door closes but the screen is now showing the map, no camera. But I’m still backing up, unable to see anything behind me.

Is this a known issue and is anyone else experiencing this?

JAD | 11 janvier 2019

Then turn the camera back on? I don't see how that is a bug. You turn the camera off by touching the map. Just turn it back on by touching the camera icon if you want it. I like being able to over-ride the automatic operation.

lbowroom | 11 janvier 2019

As JAD said, turn it back on with the camera icon, little round button. There are also 3 mirrors that face toward the rear of the car that were used before cameras were installed on cars. You can also put it back in park and then reverse again. You can also setup the garage to close automatically once you get a certain distance from the garage.

jimglas | 11 janvier 2019

I wondered what those shiny things were. How do you use them?

jordanrichard | 11 janvier 2019

How on earth are you hitting the Homelink button on the screen after putting the car in reverse?

My guess is once he clears his garage while he's backing out, he closes it by pressing the button. What's so hard to figure out about that?

Perhaps I am not aware of a difference, but in my Model S, the garage automatically closes once I am "x" feet away. Does the 3 not have automatic homelink?

It does if you set it up to do that. Which is why I suggested it in my post.

Though I don't consider it a safety item, I do consider it annoying that if I am in reverse as my nav system is searching and then loading directions, the camera does go out and in place of it is the map. So, I adapt and over come. I learned to not call up an address while backing up. Problem solved.

Justaguy | 11 janvier 2019

I have the same thing happen regularly. A work around is to put the car in drive and then reverse again and you get the camera.

тесла3 | 11 janvier 2019

I do this every day - open the garage door while I'm reversing and the rear camera view stays. Sounds like a bug with your car, you shouldn't have to turn the camera back on.

Can't be certain, but I think what happened is that instead of hitting just the green dropdown for the garage, he hit lower and touched the map.

BobInSeattle | 11 janvier 2019

Guys, I know how to turn the camera back on. Feel free to disagree but I believe that if you’re backing up and suddenly the rear camera goes off, that’s a potential safety issue. I could be wrong, but I don’t think it is intended therefore I believe it’s a bug.

Also, I have tried to set up Homelink to reliably open and close my garage door but I have not been able to get it to work despite many attempts and posts about this topic. Despite many different location resets, it never seems to find the right sweet spot and so I am required to hit it manually when I come and go. This is how I discovered this issue.

@lbowroom, no, I am definitely hitting the green home link button. This is confirmed by virtue of the fact that the garage door closes.

Guys, I know how to turn the camera back on. Feel free to disagree but I believe that if you’re backing up and suddenly the rear camera goes off, that’s a potential safety issue. I could be wrong, but I don’t think it is intended therefore I believe it’s a bug.

Also, I have tried to set up Homelink to reliably open and close my garage door but I have not been able to get it to work despite many attempts and posts about this topic. Despite many different location resets, it never seems to find the right sweet spot and so I am required to hit it manually when I come and go. This is how I discovered this issue.

@lbowroom, no, I am definitely hitting the green home link button. This is confirmed by virtue of the fact that the garage door closes.

Sorry for the double post; app latency issues.

swanson21 | 11 janvier 2019

Had this happen as well, it's definitely a safety issue, what if my wife or anyone not as familiar with the car can't see behind them because the mirrors tilted way down, pedestrians walking behind can't hear car etc. It's a recent bug for sure.

syclone | 12 janvier 2019

That's why I have auto Homelink off for my garage door. Auto homelink is dangerous when using summon as well. It's a lot safer to just touch the garage icon when you are clear of the garage.

hokiegir1 | 12 janvier 2019

@swanson-then they should press the brake to stop the car and adjust the mirrors to where they can see. It's not rocket science.

gballant4570 | 12 janvier 2019

Well, I don't have HomeLink compatible door openers, but.... I use an old garage door opener/closer sending unit. I back out of the barn, and then stop and push the button. I like to watch the door close, mainly because there are a number of things that can (and will) make it open immediately upon closing, ot just before closing - like a blowing leaf breaking the beam, a spiderweb hanging a leaf from the bottom of the door, or sometimes a reason I cannot see so easily. Once the door is closed, I continue backing to turn around. If m y rear camera was not on, I would take that opportunity to turn it on.

I guess there is no point in saying that I have been backing out of that barn (as well as using reverse in other places) in the absence of any backup cameras for many years. I am trying to make myself look at the screen while backing, and it has its upsides but also its downsides.

Bottom line, the safety bug might well be the operator initiating automatic sequences and then not observing those actions, while continuing to move the vehicle on instruments only that perhaps aren't completely reliable when used that way.....

Sorry, but that's my obviously flawed take.

jamilworm | 12 janvier 2019

To be fair, I don't think relying on the mirrors in the Model 3 is adequately safe. The visibility out of the rear window is HORRIBLE, and the only reason I don't mind so much is because of the backup camera. The side mirrors aren't optimal either because they auto tilt down when you go into reverse, which is great for parking but not great for seeing hazards behind the car. To suggest someone just readjust the mirrors everyone they go into reverse is ridiculous.

So if my backup camera were failing for whatever reason I would be concerned. Luckily my auto open/ close works just fine.

lumberjack | 12 janvier 2019

@BobInSeattle
I hit the HomeLink button every time I back out of our garage while still driving in reverse. I don’t lose the camera screen. I think lbowroom is right. I suspect that you are touching the HomeLink button ok, but also immediately touching the area around it, which dismisses the camera screen.

In my experience, the Tesla UI for HomeLink button is prone to inexact touch location and inadvertent multiple touches. There is certainly room for improvement with their UI.

kevin_rf | 13 janvier 2019

Possible he has more than one door in his home link? Maybe the menu is long enough to cause the backup camera to flip off the same way asking for directions can cause it.

I often have the opposite problem. I put it in drive and the camera is stays up. It will do that if you are in drive with it up before exiting. Next time you go to drive it will stay up until closed.

Be nice if we had a voice command "Backup Camera".

lumberjack | 13 janvier 2019

Actually, our Model 3 has two HomeLink devices programmed. It doesn’t exhibit the issue OP mentioned, unless an area outside the HomeLink button is touched after activating the button.

тесла3 | 22 janvier 2019

Well darn, this is happening to me now. Very annoying but I’m guessing it’s just a bug.

dgstan | 22 janvier 2019

> The side mirrors aren't optimal either because they auto tilt down when you go into reverse

This can be disabled.