Forums

Tesla Pickup

Tesla Pickup

Is there any speculation on the pickup truck Elon says he wants to make?
Comment your thoughts!!!

David N | 15 février 2019

Elon says reveal this year. Says “like nothing you’ve seen before.”
I’m not sure if that’s a good thing or not. Pick up owners are kinda traditional, are they willing to be seen in something “ you’ve never seen before”?
Dunno. I guess we’ll find out. It’ll be interesting, especially with Rivan gaining funding and media exposure.

Xerogas | 15 février 2019

@matthew.weller: Elon says it will look like something from Blade Runner

tstolz | 16 février 2019

I’ll be all over it ... I need a new pickup to replace my 2004 Dodge diesel. I don’t care if it looks weird ... I may even like that :) . The Rivian may prove to be a decent truck, but Tesla has a huge advantage with their Supercharger network and their lead in EV motor/electronics/and battery tech. Rivian should get bought up by a major IMHO.

David N | 16 février 2019

Elon Musk doesn't care if people buy his 'Blade Runner pickup truck'
The Verge
blade runner truck from www.theverge.com
Nov 2, 2018 · Elon Musk has given more details about Tesla’s upcoming pickup truck in a recent interview with Recode. The Tesla CEO noted that he wants it to be a “futuristic-like cyberpunk, Blade Runner pickup truck” and that he doesn’t care if many people want to buy it.

David N | 16 février 2019

Google “Tesla pick up” and you’ll get all kinds of images.

NKYTA | 16 février 2019

None actually from Tesla, I imagine. ;-)

Sam_S | 17 février 2019

How popular do you think pickup will be?

I want one and will consider Rivian if it looks like Tesla’s is years away.

Anybody think the Pickup could be more popular than Model Y and it might have been better for Tesla to rearrange the production release priorities?

After all, Rivian is betting the farm starting with a pickup.

carlk | 17 février 2019

tstolz
***Rivian should get bought up by a major IMHO.***

That probably wouldn't happen for many reasons. Not the least among them is Rivian does not have proven, or perhaps even unproven, battery and drivetrain technologies. Automakers will not gain anything by purchasing the company. They could easily do the same exterior design even if they consider it attractive.

carlk | 17 février 2019

One comment about the funding. Can anybody tell me where is the logic for those people to attack Tesla when it needed money for growth but it is all a good thing now when Rivian is getting new funding?

Sam_S | 17 février 2019

There’s a whole lot of potential auto mfg’s besides current mfg’s. Amazon, Google, Apple, are all possibilities, with deeper pockets than Detroit. I think Rivian is an absolute certainty to be acquired. Detroit is too mired in old technology and incremental change.

The new entrepreneurs with a Silicon Valley startup mentality and fresh ground up approach to electric vehicles and transportation are leaving Detroit in the dust.

Hence, I think there will be a massive bidding war for Rivian if and when the founders want it.

carlk | 17 février 2019

Rivian is not a Silicon Valley company though. Not just its location, which is of course important, but also the lack of Silicon Valley venture capital participation. VC participation usually is a good litmus test and lack of it was the reason I did not look too favorably on Faraday Future back a few years ago. Those VC's do not just have funds but they are also very keen business people, probably the very best out there. They are also risk takers since their success rate is said to be low as 20%. Whether a company got their blessing or not is very important imo. We'll see how this plays out.

rxlawdude | 17 février 2019

The thing about the Rivian trucks is there is no attempt to make them aerodynamic. They are boxy and flat on the front, like a Ford F-150.

sosmerc | 17 février 2019

No real need for sleekness on a truck that is designed for true off-roading. And the extra large battery gives it decent range without much concern for aero. It looks very "purpose designed" and its features and specs make it a serious contender to be a true F-150 killer. I think they will make it with some degree of success.
The SUV version is more appealing to me. I have always liked the Ford Flex for its absolutely boxy/practical shape. I see the Rivian SUV as a great AWD pure electric version of the Flex. I'd like to own one if it works out.