Forums

You have a brain: why is 0-60 so important? Why not another metric?

You have a brain: why is 0-60 so important? Why not another metric?

tew ms us | 28 mars 2019

It's kinda fun.

jimglas | 28 mars 2019

60-0 is boring

Earl and Nagin ... | 28 mars 2019

Because its easy to measure and 0 - 120 is a bit unnecessary in general :-)
seriously though:
In addition to what others have said:
a) it is a serious performance metric by which cars are often measured and people will pay more for.
b) it is a metric where EVs outshine their antiquated, polluting ancestors on the road.
c) it proves that EVs have the potential to be real cars.
d) it enabled Tesla to overcome the huge (previously assumed to be impossible) barriers to entry for a new car company by jumping into the premium auto market where the margins are large enough to operate without impossible amounts of startup capital..
e) acceleration potential, if used properly, can reduce congestion by enabling traffic flow to recover quicker from aberrations such as having to merge into traffic or getting the traffic flow back up to speed after something forces traffic to slow down.

RJMIII | 28 mars 2019

It matters when your getting up to speed on an access ramp or getting ahead of that jerk in the BMW that won't let you make a lane change.

Sonofman | 28 mars 2019

0-60 is where most driving is done. Every stop/start in every trip covers that range. Most speed above that results in a ticket or worse. The instant torque feeling is amazing and is useful often when merging etc.

reed_lewis | 28 mars 2019

As others have said, it is a way to basically say that an ICE is inferior to an EV.

carlk | 28 mars 2019

Men want speed. It's our natural instinct. That's how we get food and not become food. Genes from those who would not or could not out run the lion, or more importantly the next guy, have already been wiped out.

EVolution | 28 mars 2019

It’s how your reach women

carlk | 28 mars 2019

Yeah. That one hasn't changed to this day.

TranzNDance | 28 mars 2019

What metric would you propose?

jimglas | 28 mars 2019

8mm?

reed_lewis | 28 mars 2019

Reach Women? Really? I have never had a woman swoon over my car (or me for that matter)

TabascoGuy | 28 mars 2019

0-97kph?

carlk | 28 mars 2019

@reed_lewis Car along won't do it. You also need to be young, fit, athletic and match the image of a guy who drives a fast car. Not saying you're not of course. ;)

blue adept | 28 mars 2019

In addition to the more practical points mentioned by others, it is the "metric", as defined by the ICE automobile industry, that separates the men from the boys.

Ross1 | 29 mars 2019

Another metric I find useful is power to weight.
Anything less than 100 kw per 1000 kg wont pull the paper off the pudding.

I dont know what that is in HP per ton

Ross1 | 29 mars 2019

And of course torque and power are so confuddled we tend to avoid them a bit.
And anyway who determines the honesty of the test?
Back in the day it was common to inflate HP by 20 or 30 %, and torque was ignored.

carlk | 29 mars 2019

Horsepower sells cars. Torque wins races.

jordanrichard | 30 mars 2019

Carlk +1.

Here is something people have a hard time understanding, horsepower is literally nothing. People speak of it as if it were something physical, but it’s not, it is just a rating. Torque is real because it is the twisting force put upon an object.

tstolz | 30 mars 2019

HP is basically Torque X RPM. Torque is what matters. 0-60 is important because it gives they buyer an idea of just how quick the car will feel when passing. EVs have instant torque so they feel even faster than the 0-60 time stat.

blue adept | 31 mars 2019

Luckily, Tesla has plenty of both.

blue adept | 31 mars 2019

Luckily, Tesla's have plenty of both.

(proper grammar)

Ross1 | 31 mars 2019

try again

NKYTA | 1 avril 2019

Teslae are multiplicative. :-)

blue adept | 1 avril 2019

Luckily, our Tesla's have plenty of both...

Better"?"