Forums

Alleged rear end

Alleged rear end

I was accused of a rear end by a woman on a rail road. The Tesla dash cam recorded the scenario. I didn't heat the car but now she has filed a claim on my insurance company. Watch the video below and let me know what you think .
is there a way to know if there was some kind of impact from Tesla Black Box? won't Tesla automatically break if it suspects a collusion is about to happen ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSOy70KP3Dg&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR...

tm4000m | 13 mai 2019

It does look suspect at the 6-7 second mark.

NEKEV | 13 mai 2019

It sure looks like you hit her.

dmastro | 13 mai 2019

It's hard to tell from the video, but it does appear that one of the times you surged behind her, her car lurched forward while her brake lights were on. Could you tell if there was any paint transfer or marks on either of your cars?

rdavis | 13 mai 2019

Was there a police report? How did she get your insurance info...

If you exchanged insurance, you really should get a police report. I would never just give up my insurance info without getting that police report.

M3phan | 13 mai 2019

Looks like you hit her

bemnetgizachew | 13 mai 2019

I understand that I should have got police report before giving up my insurance. The supposed rear end happened on Saturday . And she filed the claim on Monday morning . isn't that suspicious ? There is no scratch or paint transfer. Both our cars were on a rail track it might be the reason why it looks like it moved forward.

jefjes | 13 mai 2019

With no visible damage, what's the claim for, whiplash?

CharleyBC | 13 mai 2019

It does look like a gentle bonk. But if there's no damage, what's she claiming anyway? If she later did get some real rear-end damage elsewhere, you have video of her healthy bumper after your incident.

bcb2220 | 13 mai 2019

you def hit her.

lbowroom | 13 mai 2019

So you hit her, you know you hit her, and you're looking for anyone else to blame, including Tesla, for not preventing you from hitting her.

NO .I am not blaming Tesla . I don't think I hit her . There were another passenger with me and that person also doesn't think I hit her. I am just trying to get opinion from a third party.

Joshan | 13 mai 2019

appears so Lbow

Joshan | 13 mai 2019

The opinion seems to be you hit her :)

Joshan | 13 mai 2019

better question.... why do you keep accelerating so hard with someone 1 foot off your front bumper?

CharleyBC | 13 mai 2019

So, I did get rear-ended a couple years ago. The only evidence of the impact on my car was an impression of the other car's license plate numbers in the dust on our bumper (funny, actually). I washed the car, and you couldn't tell. So we made no claim. My point is, I still don't get what her claim is if you said there's no damage.

bcb2220 | 13 mai 2019

^

Jtwo | 13 mai 2019

It looks like you hit her to me also.

rdavis | 13 mai 2019

Once you gave her your insurance info, you hit her. I have no idea why you'd give her your insurance if you didn't hit her and there was no damage...

What is her claim for? At least you have a video to help defend the amount of damage that may or may not be there... but at this point you're going to be on the hook for something. My guess is somewhere between 800-1500 dollars of damage being claimed.

rxlawdude | 13 mai 2019

" would never just give up my insurance info without getting that police report."

In California, it's the law that you must provide that information. Not optional;.

CharleyBC | 13 mai 2019

Regardless of the truth of this situation, lesson for the future: Don't follow so darn close.

rdavis | 13 mai 2019

@Rxlawdude.... yes, you have to in any state... but if I was to give someone my insurance info, I'd be call the police for a report too... You risk WAY too much to turn that info over without an official report to go along with it.

I would share more information . Here is another video from the right side camera. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xC-0Qh-4xc. The rail Guard got lowered for no apparent reason . There was no train coming and it opened again after few seconds . I was on the train track , so I needed to get off as quickly as possible . she wasn't not giving me an inch .

rdavis | 13 mai 2019

@Bemnetgizachew,

You're not supposed to cross a rail unless the way is clear to move all the way through, so by law it won't matter even if it was a railguard malfunction.

Find out what her claim is for...maybe she's claiming some large amount of damage and you can at least refute it with the video.

NEKEV | 13 mai 2019

Uuuh. Never, ever, ever stop on a railroad track. Don't proceed until you have room to cross without stopping.

jamesc | 13 mai 2019

I believe the video shows you bumping her as her brake lights were on when her car moved forward at your closest point to her vehicle.

However an impact like that shouldn't cause whiplash, it sounds to me like this extremely minor touch is her justification to make a claim for whiplash, she is watching the dollar signs and trying to get her next holiday paid for.

lilbean | 13 mai 2019

Looks like you hit her. Maybe she filed the claim on Monday because the office was closed for the weekend?

isn't that so fast . It happened Saturday afternoon and the claim was on my account Monday morning.

007bond | 13 mai 2019

I would think you would know if you hit her or not but from the video you did tap her. I have had my Tesla taped like that and no damage did not waste my time with ins as it was nothing. Also had my BMW tapped very hard we all had headaches but again no damage to the car as it should be for 5mph or less. But you just tapped her no way she had even a headache so no idea what she is claiming.

Also not sure what you were doing but man you sure were jumping up on her enough what was the rush you can see from the video the way you were being aggressive it was inevitable you would tap her.

Anyway clear you hit her keep your distance no need to be all up close like that...

Still waiting for call from my insurance company. I will see her full claim before telling them I have the video.

lilbean | 13 mai 2019

Why would she get out of her car if you didn’t bump her?

lilbean | 13 mai 2019

Denial. Some guy hit my parked car, got out to look at it and decided he didn’t despite the paint transfer. Smh.

I was trying to get out of the track as quickly as possible . https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xC-0Qh-4xc. . Rail guard got lowered ( for no reason).

I was trying to get out of the track as quickly as possible . https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xC-0Qh-4xc. . Rail guard got lowered ( for no reason).

rdavis | 13 mai 2019

@Bemnetgizachew,

Good luck to you... I hope it turns out well in the end for you.

I had a girl tap my bumper and put a small scratch in it. I wasn't worried about it at all, but her attitude when we stopped to investigate pissed me off, so we called the police for a report and I filed an insurance claim the next day on her insurance. The total fix came to just over $ 1,200.00. I would expect about the same amount of a claim from her... unless she's trying to scam the system.

wj | 13 mai 2019

File too fast??? Are you kidding??? If I was hit I would be filing ASAP or FASTER. I say she filed too slow. Also I agree with others. She would have to be an expert faker to keep her brakes applied while accelerating forward at the exact time you luged forward. Look 100% like a hit and push to me.

skygraff | 13 mai 2019

Jerky movements do not equal a hit so the video doesn’t help much. She obviously thought there was a hit but you didn’t (could be you and your passenger were under stress from the railroad alerts so memory may be faulty). Based on the vehicle types, yours would show damage way before hers so, if you don’t even have scuff, I’d lean toward no hit.

All that said, hopefully this has reminded you not to cross tracks until you have a clear way on the other side. It could’ve been a lot worse if those alerts weren’t false and she had no place to go to get out of your way.

skygraff | 13 mai 2019

As for brake lights, she could be a two footed driver or could’ve been easing off of them and the lights might stay on.

spuzzz123 | 13 mai 2019

Did u get her digits?

Mike UpNorth | 13 mai 2019

You and your passenger are positive you didn't bump her.....but you gave her your insurance info?
I don't get it.

yes I have her number. giving her insurance information was probably a bad Idea.

wj | 13 mai 2019

It is not just about brake lights or 2 footed driver easing off. Watch carefully again. Her car makes an instant high velocity lung forward (looks like a shock/hit/push) and then gradually slows down.

bcb2220 | 13 mai 2019

yeah i agree with @wj, i reviewed the footage multiple times (starts at 0:04) and you can actually see the reflection of the car getting close and way past the reflection of the front tesla bumper which is an indication it made contact with the rear bumper of the woman's car then after that bump, you can see the front bumper again fully from the reflection.

dmanincali | 13 mai 2019

Don't know how you can blame her for the fact you got yourself stuck on the railroad tracks. You should never proceed onto the tracks until you know for sure you have room to clear the tracks. She shouldn't have to ride someone's bumper because you decided to ride hers.

Also adding to the group that says it looks like you hit her. Even if you did relatively minor damage (i.e. screws from license plate holder in bumper) it's going to cost a lot to fix. On a Tesla it costs about $1200 just to repaint and properly fix that kind of damage. And yes - she should expect her car to be fixed to as good as new state since she wasn't the one riding someone's bumper. The reason I know the cost is because a woman bumped my Model X in much the same way you bumped this car. I had rear dash came footage from my blackvue that showed her staring down at a cellphone while she proceed to bump into my car (which had been stopped at a red light for 12s before impact). Damn right I made her pay up. Wasn't going to drive around with chips on my bumper because someone felt it was more important to be on the phone than driving.

I agree getting on the track before I know there was a space was wrong. However,If I were her I would tried my absolute to help a person stuck behind me .

charles.a.braun | 13 mai 2019

Did you get your driver license from a box of Cracker Jack? Just just this brief clip I can easily deduce that you are a menace on the road and have no business driving any car, let alone a Tesla.

I hope that whatever action she is able to take against you results in the revocation of your driving privileges until you can prove that you have learned a few basic fundamentals of driving:

1) Do not stop your car on rail road tracks
2) Do not tailgate
3) Do not stop at a red light or stop sign without enough distance between you and the car in front to be able to see their rear tires contacting the pavement
4) At a red light or stop sign, keep your foot on the brake while the car in front of you is clearly stopped. (If using "Hold" do not hover your right foot over the accelerator)

charles.a.braun | 13 mai 2019

bemnetgizachew | May 13, 2019
I agree getting on the track before I know there was a space was wrong. However,If I were her I would tried my absolute to help a person stuck behind me .

It is also clear (from the shadows and the number of cars in the lane to the right) that there were other cars in front of her. I suspect that she gave you all the room she could safely give to you without ramming other cars out of her way as you saw fit to do to her.

Pepperidge | 13 mai 2019

"I was on the train track" This is the problem. You should never enter train track if there is not enough room on the other side. Who should you blame is yourself.

LostInTx | 13 mai 2019

Another reason to avoid the East Dallas area. Dude, that's some bad driving on your part.

"I hope that whatever action she is able to take against you results in the revocation of your driving privileges until you can prove that you have learned a few basic fundamentals of driving "

Bet you aren't as smart as you think you are.
FYI This is my first incident of any kind.

CharleyBC | 13 mai 2019

Are you saying Saturday incident to Monday claim is suspiciously fast? I don't see why. I'm pleased to say I've rarely had need to make a claim, but when I do, I typically call the same day, even if only to open a file and find out what further info they might need from me. I thought that's what we were supposed to do.

Pages