Forums

New EV battery could offer 600 miles of charge

New EV battery could offer 600 miles of charge

A Swiss manufacturer is claiming that a new high-density lithium-ion battery under development could offer 600 miles of range on a single charge for an electric vehicle.

Innolith AG claims that this new power pack will be the first to fit 1kWh energy into 1kg of battery mass, which is what enables the ultra-long electric range to be unlocked.

https://www.carkeys.co.uk/news/new-ev-battery-could-offer-600-miles-of-c...

grins.va | 25 mai 2019

Might be out in three years while the 2020 Tesla Roadster with its 600 range will be available next year.

grins.va | 25 mai 2019

...600 mile range....

TeslaTap.com | 25 mai 2019

Would be great, but until it's proven and available commercially, it's just a science project. 99% of these "breakthroughs" fail due to the wide range of automotive requirements needed. Often they can meet some but not all of the requirements. Some of these requirements include:

- Cost competitive
- Ease of manufacture
- Manufacturing repeatability
- Consistency
- Longevity
- Wide temperature range
- Vibration resistant
- Fast charging
- High energy density

Tesla already shown 600 miles of range in the Roadster 2020 and the Semi so not sure what the breakthrough is.

Dramsey | 25 mai 2019

The breakthrough is the energy density, claimed at about 4 times the 250wh/kg of the 2170 cells Tesla is currently using in the Mod 3.

Of course as you point out it's really just another lab demo of a "magic battery" that likely will never see the light of day.

However, it's not true that Tesla has "shown 600 miles of range in the Roadster 2020". They've _claimed_ 600 miles of range, and nobody's really sure how they can do this with current battery tech. For that matter, Elon has also claimed the Roadster will be able to fly, which makes me every so slightly skeptical of his other claims.

TeslaTap.com | 25 mai 2019

@Dramsey - Yep, just an announcement without verification on both the Roadster and the Semi. Tesla has always delivered the EPA range numbers they have estimated in the past, although that seems rarely true of competitors. We'll have to wait and see what Tesla ends up delivering :)

Darthamerica | 25 mai 2019

There's always a science project for proof of concept. The challenge is productization and production. No doubt batteries will continue to improve over the years to the point where our current cars range seems laughable. But we have a while to go...

David N | 25 mai 2019

Nothing new to these forums. Every month or so someone will post a link to a battery “breakthrough”.
There is a lot more involved than “600 mile range”.
Until someone provides a working model, in a real car, able to fast charge with battery management (temp), safety systems in place, etc....it’s all just unproven concepts.

SCCRENDO | 25 mai 2019

@Darth. I agree. The problem with you though is that you don’t understand science nor do you believe it when presented to you.

Darthamerica | 27 mai 2019

@SCC why? Because I don't subscribe to radical far left silly claims that the planet is doomed if we don't "do something" in 10 years? FOH! Real science is repeatable and verifiable. I'm happy for you that your faith in AGW motivates your interest in these topics. However please learn to accept that not everyone with an EV is an AGW zealot and stay on topic.

SCCRENDO | 27 mai 2019

@darth. I agree that real science is repeatable and verifiable. Unfortunately you do not seem to have understand the science behind AGW as reflected in your opinions. Part of your problem is that you may not even be prepared to look at facts. A good example would be whether you have read the Mueller report yet?? Our disagreements are not on the facts. They are on your opinions unsubstantiated by facts.

Tropopause | 27 mai 2019

Tesla will do 600 mile range with the new DBE battery technology they got from acquiring Maxwell Technology.

Dramsey | 27 mai 2019

@Tropopause,

Has Tesla ever specifically said that? I see a lot of article speculating on this...

Right now I'd have to rate Maxwell's dry electrode tech in the "magic battery" category, since it's never, as best I can determine, been demonstrated outside of the laboratory.

jordanrichard | 27 mai 2019

Well Tesla did say the Roadster will do 600 miles and while they are not great at delivering on time, they do meet the performance/range numbers they announce.

kcheng | 27 mai 2019

1kg for 1kWh? That's a ¼ the weight of current batteries. Would be quite revolutionary if true.

bp | 28 mai 2019

There's a practical limit on battery pack capacity due to increasing charging time and power requirements.

Most EV charging is done with 30A to 60A chargers. For 10 hours of overnight charging at 48A, and keeping charge between 10-90%, that would support a 130KWh pack (charging 80% of pack overnight).

For applications requiring larger packs, such as Roadster 2.0 (needing more power to drive for extended times at track speeds) or Semi (more power for heavy loads), specialized chargers will likely be required.

EVs are still too expensive and can't compete head-on with ICEs. To accelerate the transition from ICEs to EVs, without relying on government subsidies, battery pack costs must get much lower.

Even if there are improved higher density packs, instead of seeing significant increases in range, manufacturers are more likely to shift to smaller lighter packs providing comparable range at lower cost and provide longer range packs only for certain classes of vehicles that require more power to operate for several hours on a charge.

grins.va | 28 mai 2019

Tesla has upped the Roadster range to 620 miles.

andy.connor.e | 29 mai 2019

All teslas can drive 600 miles on one charge if driving at the proper speed.

sosmerc | 29 mai 2019

.....and "downhill" :).......

jordanrichard | 29 mai 2019

andy +1.

andy.connor.e | 29 mai 2019

The range issue isnt even an issue. People want to drive 75+mph on the highway and throw their arms up when they only get 270 miles from 100% to 5%. The problem is that people dont even realize how inefficiently they are driving the ICE vehicle. I accelerate slowly, stay within 5mph over the speed limit, and coast whenever i can, and i get more than my cars rated MPG.

DanFoster1 | 31 mai 2019

They have a density claim, now let’s hear about cost, cycle longevity etc. It seems everyone on Earth has a new battery chemistry that beats Tesla’s batteries…but where are they?

The Supercharger network is far more important than range increases, as welcome as those are.

blue adept | 1 juin 2019

@DanFoster1

Much like the often touted new this or that so-called "Tesla beater", GM's proposed charging network is little more that merely more vaporware with a lot of overblown hype, nothing more...as usual.

Other than that, I think that people are still overemphasizing their use of the Supercharger network, afterall, it's intended for use only when you're traveling, not for everyday charge ups (which are meant to be accomplished via at-home charging facilities).

Uncle Paul | 1 juin 2019

Not to far fetched a claim.

Tesla has already mentioned that their refreshed Model S may be able to make 400 miles range.
The Roadster will be much lighter and more aerodynamic with a lot smaller cross section.
Seems like 600 mile range is reachable with todays technology and a lot of optimization.

I have seen the range and speed of Supercharging creep up pretty significantly over the past few years.
Time on the road Vs. time at the charger is getting better with time.

Tesla has recently made a significant improvement with it's ability to precondition its battery for faster charging if you select a Supercharger as a destination on your screen.

Roger1 | 2 juin 2019

If someone can build a 1kWh per kilogram battery with less exotic material, similar charging rates to lithium ion and put it on the market in 3 to 5 years then everybody benefits. Even if the battery costs exactly the same amount per kilogram as lithium ion, the higher charge density means the battery can weigh less and cost less, and probably be physically smaller for electric cars with a practical range like the model 3 SR+.

Most people use their cars for travel to work and running around town. Long range batteries are not necessary for this kind of use. But, people often buy capability they don't normally require yet need for occasional trips out of town. As we look to the future with more charging locations available the need for large batteries to handle trips will decline.

In Europe, the CCS charger has become the industry standard and is installed on the model 3. Existing model S and X can be made compatible with CCS using new on-board electronics and a physical adaptor. The model S and X update now in production with model 3 type electronics could be CCS compatible in Europe without an adaptor if a new connector door is added to the design perhaps in the speculative fall appearance refresh. If Tesla follows the same pattern in North America then all high power DC chargers become available to Tesla vehicles which further reduces the need for large batteries to travel intercity.

Smaller batteries reduce the cost of electric vehicles and encourage adoption without needing government subsidies. More vehicles on the road using a standard CCS connector will lead to more charging locations which benefits everyone.

exevbuilder | 3 juin 2019

Hey Elon:
We have plenty of room in National CIty for a new factory. Just south of San Diego. Close to a shipping port.