Forums

Los Angeles (LADWP) Tesla Owners- Did you buy a wall charger?

Los Angeles (LADWP) Tesla Owners- Did you buy a wall charger?

Hi LA Owners,

I'm contemplating to buy the NEMA 14-50 outlet and have an electrician run a new circuit to my old 100 amp panel. Shouldn't cost much.

But the LADWP is offering rebates on buying a wall charger. But I have an old panel, so not sure if I need to upgrade to a 200 amp panel

I may purchase a 2nd EV in a couple years. What should I do?

Magic 8 Ball | 9 juillet 2019

If they can run a new circuit for a 14-50 on your current panel they can do same for the HPWC (but maybe not both if that is what you want). If you have a long range version the HPWC can be setup to charge at 48 amps.

I recommend the HPWC.

jimglas | 9 juillet 2019

the HPWC if you have the juice available. I had to upgrade my panel, but now have 2.

mrburke | 9 juillet 2019

I would recommend the HPWC over the 14-50 even if you can't add anything more than a 50 amp breaker to your old panel. It is just a whole lot more convenient.

A couple of points. Even if you can't add a 60 amp breaker to your panel, ask your electrician to run wire that can handle a 60amp breaker. That way if you upgrade you panel in the future you're set.

If you get a second Tesla, you can network two HPWC together so they can share a single circuit.

Lonestar10_1999 | 9 juillet 2019

Sounds like the 14-50 outlet is the least cost solution for your immediate needs but the HPWC is a better fit for your future needs.

I would advise you take a hybrid approach. Install the 14-50 outlet with a 2P-50A breaker in the panel. However, wire it up with conductors capable of carrying the full rating of the HPWC which is 100A. For a short run, the cost difference of materials between a cable rated for 50A versus 100A should be negligible compared to labor costs.

In future when you have the need for two Tesla vehicles charging simultaneously, replace the 14-50 with an HPWC and replace the 50A breaker with a 100A. If you have DIY skills, these upgrades do not require an electrician.

mrburke | 9 juillet 2019

@HeyLa- Do you only get the $200 if you buy a "wall charger" and not just install a 14-50 outlet. I put wall charger in "" because the actual charger is in the car. Tesla sells a Wall Connector.

kevin_rf | 9 juillet 2019

A 100a panel does not give you much head room to work with. A NEMA 14-50 uses a 50a breaker, it is half the capacity of your panel.

Upgrading your service to 200a would be the best and most costly option. You might want to talk about different options with an electrician.

You could go with a second service (meter and disconnect) and never have to touch your houses existing wiring. Again costly.

You could install an HPWC on a smaller breaker for slower charging. It can be used with breakers as small as 15a providing a horrific 10 miles an hour of charge.

You could install one of the lower current breakers with the correctly paired NEMA plugs. Again slower charging. But one will most likely fit your existing electrical system.
NEMA 6-15 (240v 12a 10 mph)
NEMA 6-20 (240v 16a 14 mph)
NEMA 14-30 (240v 24a 22mph)
NEMA 14-50 (240v 32a 30mph)

If you are buying an SR+, you are limited to 32a. Only the LR's (Dual Motor and Performance can charge at 48a).

See for existing supported NEMA plugs. https://www.tesla.com/support/home-charging-installation/mobile-connector

kevin_rf | 9 juillet 2019

Forgot to mention, HPWC's (Tesla High Power Wall Connectors) can be daisy chained off the same breaker providing each car 1/2 of the breakers rated 80% load. But that only makes sense if you have a large breaker.

For instance a 60a breaker can supply both cars with 24a, 22 miles of charge per hour. It can also provide one car with 48a 44mph.

I do think if you go with a smaller breaker on an HPWC, you would be disappointed with the charging rate of two daisy chained HPWC's.

Magic 8 Ball | 9 juillet 2019

@kevin_rf You do realize a panel can be populated with breakers that total up to be more than what the panel is rated for and it is perfectly fine, don't you?

cresset2000 | 10 juillet 2019

The maximum circuit load on an electrical panel is 20%. For 100 amp panel it means your new circuit could not exceed 20 amps. I was told that when I was installing solar panels. For my 100 amp panel, I installed NEMA 6-20. 14 mph is enough for my needs. I did not installed the wall charger, mobile charger is working fine for me.

kevin_rf | 10 juillet 2019

Magic, yes and that is why an electrician needs to do a load calculation.

You throw an HPWC on a 60a breaker that will draw up to 48a continuous and it doesn't leave you much room to run typical household loads.

For instance what happens when you finish dinner, sit down in front of a giant 70" TV, crank the AC, turn on the dishwasher, have a load of laundry running, and another load in the dryer and then the car suddenly starts drawing 48a. On a 100a service, you will most likely trip it. The capacity is not there. Also, what where the panel rails often made of during the period 100a service was popular? Many had Aluminum.

We don't know the OP's loadout, someone qualified should look at it. That was why I was suggesting other charging options with different loads and charging speeds. Depending on his house, he might (my $$$ says won't) be able to put in a HPWC on a 60a breaker.

At least he wasn't asking about running an HPWC off a 60a service feeding a Bulldog panel. Talk about scary... I don't want the OP's house burning down because of bad advice.

Magic 8 Ball | 10 juillet 2019

Circuit breaker trip before burning the house down, no need to spread FUD over this. Give me a break, I charge at night at the full 48 amps and the rest of the house is drawing about 30 max (and that is with fridge, pond pumps and other normal loads). Sure you may trip breakers during the day but you can learn to charge at other times.

As I said the circuit breakers can have a total more that panel ratings. If you draw a high load breakers trip, that is all.

Some of the older panels had aluminium bus bars that could melt if you tripped the house main under continuous load. Especially as they age and if corrosion starts to occur. The whole SoCal thing of putting them in the garage or outside in humid environments.

Not FUD, and depending on the OP's other loads, only an electrician can tell him what is and is not safe.

Magic 8 Ball | 10 juillet 2019

@kevin_rf OK. and some fuse boxes had a nickel coin under the fuse to defeat the fuse. I am not an electrician and have been rearranging (adding and removing) circuits many times. So if you have a panel that is too code you really do not need to spread FUD.

An electrician, if you do not know what you are doing, is good advice and leave it at that. Nobody is going to burn their house down with a panels that meet code.

I like s'mores.

Raffim | 10 juillet 2019

Buy it. LAWDP will reimburse you $500. It will be free.

beaver | 10 juillet 2019

In LA with SCE I got the $500 rebate without installing a HPWC. The Tesla has an onboard charger. I just snapped a pic of my M3 and was golden.

Nakid | 11 juillet 2019

I originally had the electrician run the wiring for the 14-50 outlet. I used that for several months before ordering my HPWC. I removed the outlet and connected the WC to the existing wiring. I'm enjoying the faster charging as well as not needing to remove the mobile charger every time I need to go on a trip.