Forums

Purchase experience was horrible !!

Purchase experience was horrible !!

Please note that I am a five time buyer of a new Tesla ! This was my 4th Model S purchase and I also have a family member in a Model 3. I basically get a new Model S every couple years upon a major improvement in the car. I love it and have always found the bugs and quirks of Texas delivery or service squawks an acceptable tradeoff for the performance. And historically my purchase experiences in Texas, while high maintenance due to not being a true dealer, just a slight annoyance that could be overcome.

But now let me get to purchase #5 ! Unfortunately made midway through Q2 2019 which means I was part of the Q2 delivery push the last week of Q2. Updates on delivery status were woeful, trade-in process for currently owned Model S was atrocious (especially the price), and ability to communicate with anyone involved in the sale and delivery was mediocre at best. Bottom line.....these quarterly delivery pushes are killing Tesla's customer experience !!!

But here's the kicker !! I leased this Tesla and am waiting on Tesla to notify me that the plates have arrived as I was led to believe would happen. Nope, no word. Further, I can't get any of the people originally involved in my purchase to respond to an email. So now I have an expired temp tag on my car.....and here's the best part !!

I got pulled over today for 3 separate violations.....wait for it.......(1) improperly displayed temp tag (which was placed by Tesla in back window), (2) expired temp tag.... and the icing on the cake....(3) the temp tag on my car is associated in the DMV system with a different 2019 Tesla Model S and not my VIN !!!

I'll be driving back to the delivery folks at Tesla in the Dallas Service Center today after being told finally by a Tesla human being on the phone that those folks have no phone numbers they issue nor can I email them !!!

I've historically been a Tesla fanboy but my patience is being tested with this purchase experience !!!

reed_lewis | 8 août 2019

Looks like Tesla 'dropped the ball' in your delivery. I hope you get everything taken care of.

Careful though, you will piss off the Fan Boys with your story, and they will say it is all false, or that since not many people have issues, then your issue is not important. Or perhaps, someone will tell you to read the manual...

This situation is exactly what I am talking about with Tesla and their issues handling exceptions.

reed_lewis | 8 août 2019

And I did not think, but that means that there is someone else out there with temp plates also who do not match their VIN either. ooops.

johncrab | 8 août 2019

First of all, I believe you. My summer experiences which were nasty pale by comparison this this cock-up. Not being able to process paperwork through the DMV accurately is a sign that things are not well at Tesla. They communicate only to ask for new sales and then it's total silence. I can get better treatment from Mercedes and they truly suck. Sending you out onto the roads with a temp associated with another car and someone else driving around with yours is a pair of lawsuits waiting to happen.

What I have seen this summer is a dearth of leadership and coordination at Tesla. There is a revolving door at personnel and they believe they can sack their way to profitability by not having any employees. As a result there is no customer service now and customer service is what convinced all of us to take a chance on them in the first place. Now, I'm on the sidelines, waiting to see if Tesla A) survives, and B) fixes its customer service problems. I'm not going to put more money into a company that keeps pushing out bugware and has a new gimmick every single day. We canceled our M3 reservation over the V9 software changes but had no idea they would start crippling cars. One owner has filed a lawsuit claiming fraud over the overnight range loss and is seeking class status. I think that may go forward. https://www.nasdaq.com/article/tesla-hit-by-lawsuit-claiming-thousands-o...

In our case, we replaced two older cars but not with a Tesla. We bought this instead. It's unfair to compare the two but we love it and we love the price and the fact it starts and runs and everything. https://www.peugeot.com.mx/gama/vehiculos-particulares/nueva-suv-5008.html The photos do not do the paint job justice. I'd like to come back, but they now have to convince me. Experiences like yours do not help win me back, but thank you for speaking out.

NKYTA | 8 août 2019

Lulz

jimglas | 9 août 2019

go away

BillPlanoTexas | 9 août 2019

UPDATE:

I went and met with Tesla at the Service Center where I took delivery. Some good news and bad news....

First the good news, Texas changed their rules on displays of temp tags and because it was such a benign rule change that many police are unaware of the rule change. And Tesla showed me the state requirements for temp tags which illustrated their placement was proper. Tesla said my experience with the police saying the temp tag was displayed inappropriately is happening all over the place right now in Texas and Tesla is educating both police departments as well as traffic court judges to the new state rules. They volunteered to speak directly with the traffic court judge overseeing my ticket and get it dismissed for that infraction.

The bad news....they did own up to dropping the ball on issuing my permanent license plates and jumped on that immediately. They got me a new, fresh temp tag for the car and promised to expedite the new permanent plates.

All in all, a bit of a pain in the ass but not fully Tesla's fault. If Texas would allow Tesla to have full fledged dealerships then some of this silly nonsense could be avoided.

Just wanted to give an update with the situation and the full facts/outcome.

SO | 9 août 2019

“All in all, a bit of a pain in the ass but not fully Tesla's fault. If Texas would allow Tesla to have full fledged dealerships then some of this silly nonsense could be avoided.”

I have the same issue with Michigan. In fact, my state doesn’t even allow service centers. I knew this going in. But I can only blame this state for my added inconvenience.

adamhenry552 | 10 août 2019

Very very amazing and great.

johncrab | 11 août 2019

Not the first time a legislature and/or transportation department made a change and didn't bother to tell anybody, but glad you got that part sorted. As for letting Tesla off the hook on the plates, I have mixed feelings but putting your car on the lot for sale was an unforgivable FUBAR. When I bought my S, Arizona was one of the backward states as well so I drove around for three months on a California temporary which expired in the process (Scottsdale po-leece won't stop an expensive car unless the driver is doing something truly crazy). When the final paperwork arrived I headed to the MVD (that's what it is called there and yes, insert joke here). I was greeted with the surliness I had expected from a civil servant who clearly had eaten ground glass, rusty nails and Metamucil for breakfast, then had a bumpy bus ride to work. I did walk out with plates, stickers, title, registration and a bunch of Marriott points for paying the state and county sales taxes. That's how it was done back then and it seemed to work pretty well by letting the customer deal with a recalcitrant state machine. Hard to see why this would not work well in the Lone Star State but as Molly Ivins used to say, "Texas politics is a world unto itself. Take a Valium."

NKYTA | 11 août 2019

“Scottsdale po-leece won't stop an expensive car unless the driver is doing something truly crazy”

“I was greeted with the surliness I had expected from a civil servant who clearly had eaten ground glass, rusty nails and Metamucil for breakfast, then had a bumpy bus ride to work.”

Entitled much?

Yodrak. | 11 août 2019

"We bought this instead."

Enjoy

adamhenry552 | 11 août 2019

I don't deal yet, but looking forward.

mikefa | 12 août 2019

Tesla's service department is also lacking compared to what they were once used to be ... i guess it is to be expected with so many new cars and customers with lower profit margins on the Model 3s and they need to remain profitable.