Forums

Do you drive with Autopilot most of the time?

Do you drive with Autopilot most of the time?

I am just curious, when you are not on the highway, do you drive with Autopilot engaged most of the time? I live in relatively rural areas, so more of my time is spent on one lane each way roads. I try to use the Autopilot all the time. My understanding is that when I have to take over control, the engineers at Tesla get a report (maybe only sometimes maybe never), and so I do it so that hopefully they will get more data to be able to make the system better. I know in the months I have been driving the car, some places I am pretty sure, the autopilot has gotten better and not had as many issues, like it is learning, but that could just be me...

I am just curious if other people use it as much as they can or not...

Thanks.

Joshan | 14 août 2019

I have it on at least 90% of the time on all roads that are striped. I only take it out for weird areas, red lights, stop signs and turns.

vmulla | 14 août 2019

I'm just like @Joshan

I like to know the limits of the EAP system, I feel that pushing the limits also helps Tesla build their know-how.

FISHEV | 14 août 2019

There's adaptive cruise and autosteer. Use Adaptive Cruise all the time. Rarely used AutoSteer as it is makes more movements than I do.

CharleyBC | 14 août 2019

I just did a Sac->SLC->Sac trip. Navigate on Autopilot was on probably over 80% of the way. It would have been higher except for some torrential weather outbound and lots of construction zones where Charley in control was more prudent.

jimglas | 14 août 2019

90% of the time. I think its smarter and has better reflexes than I do.

jdcollins5 | 14 août 2019

I use TACC all of the time. I use AutoSteer when I am on 4-lane roads and driving a considerable distance.

jdcollins5 | 14 août 2019

I use TACC all of the time. I use AutoSteer when I am on 4-lane roads and driving a considerable distance.

82bert | 14 août 2019

Use it all the time. Love it. Can’t wait for the continued improvements to the neural net.

styvwerx | 14 août 2019

I tell folks who I want to understand more about Tesla (my passengers, mainly) that it's like teaching a six year old sitting on your lap, to drive. You know their eyesight and reflexes are better, they just need judgement and correction in the decision process. I try to use TACC as often as possible in the city, and NOA as much as possible on highways, to help Tesla push the envelope. As my skills deteriorate with age, I want Tesla's to improve.

cnistal1 | 14 août 2019

I use it on my Freeway commute to work daily. 90% of the time, except where divider lines are faded or missing. It's a great stress reducer in bumper to bumper traffic! Use NoA on any long trips.

CharleyBC | 14 août 2019

While I use various EAP features more often than not on freeways, I gotta admit there are times I don't use it simply because I get envious of the computer getting all the fun of driving this car, and I want a turn!

raqball | 14 août 2019

I mainly use TACC..

bobandpattys | 14 août 2019

Use it on the highway commute. And always use it in stop and go traffic. It really shines there!

eplaskett | 14 août 2019

I only use it on the interstate, but that constitutes over 90% of my commute, and I use it for about 80% of that stretch (it doesn't work well on our new express lanes as some of the map data is incorrect, leading to sudden slowdowns at the same places every time). Love it!

M3phan | 14 août 2019

I use EAP everyday

Effopec | 14 août 2019

The Tesla dilemma - they made a self driving car that is a blast to drive.

On freeways I use it most of the time, the only time i don't is heavy traffic full speed driving if I am in a hurry. I can weave through traffic much faster than it can. On my surface street commute I don't use it much now. It's a light to light drive and I get frustrated at the slow startup from a stop. I've heard that the latest software improves that, so I'll be eager to give it a shot. I have noticed that it gets better with each software update, so I always try it out again after each one.

Kary993 | 14 août 2019

I use it on streets but do have to take over when I am in front at stop signs and stop lights. On the highway use always as well as NoA.

kaffine | 14 août 2019

With my last job I used AP for most of the drive. Only the short drive from my house out of the residential area where AP doesn't work and then the private drive for the company that AP limited it to 45mph but normal traffic is doing 60mph. I would take it out of AP in some of the construction zones.

My new job I hardly use AP as between the construction zones and an area it doesn't like the lane markings there isn't enough left to worry about.

On the weekend if AP works well on that road I will use it.

I will almost always have TACC on though.

sweetmanpe | 14 août 2019

Rarely use it. Most of my commute’s on secondary roads. On the highway often find it too fussy. Besides I like to drive and be in control.

jebinc | 14 août 2019

There is a rumor on another site that the folks getting EAP invites are ones who use AP a lot... Not sure if that is the criteria Tesla uses or not...
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/posts/3924002/

Reflex | 14 août 2019

Reading all these comments, I wonder what is wrong with my car. I don't even use AP on the freeway, let alone around town. I avoid TACC because it isn't smooth. It makes my kid car sick, and makes me feel like an idiot is driving my car. In contrast, our BMW X2 is smoooooth in adjusting to leading vehicles. Hell, the Nissan Altima I rented on vacation had better TACC than the Model 3. With auto-steering, the constant need to nudge the steering wheel while driving sucks the joy out of freeway trips. Running 2019.24.4, BTW.

rsingh05 | 14 août 2019

My commute is non highway and I never use it there.

I was on a 3800 mile road trip recently and used TACC + Autosteer about 5% of the time. Purely because I enjoy driving too much.

Also I’d never use TACC alone. To me either I’m in charge of steering, acceleration AND braking, or the car does all of them. I find half measures like TACC only too confusing.

RichardKJ | 14 août 2019

I rarely use TACC without autosteer, and use autosteer most of the time on freeways. I only turn it off when I need to make quick lane changes. The auto lane change is too conservative. I have not used NoA since I rarely have a navigation destination set. I do use EAP on longer stretches of two lane roads both to provide data and to learn what works and what doesn't.

In heavy traffic on curvy two lane roads (e.g. 92 to Half Moon Bay for Bay Area folks) it is very jerky. It seems fixated on staying in the middle of the lane leading to a lot of steering wheel seesawing on curves. Also when it loses the car ahead on a curve and sees oncoming traffic it freaks out and tries to turn into oncoming traffic and then stop, annoying the following traffic. I have made it all the way from the traffic light at Crystal Springs to the traffic light at Main St. in HMB on EAP once.

rwa | 14 août 2019

I use TACC + autosteer everywhere except where it doesn't work well. I think it's fairly easy to learn the limits of the system and then just turn it off when the context isn't right for it.

There are portions of my usual routes where I'm kind of on the fence about having it on. Rural backroads that are reasonably well marked, but a bit twisty/turny, and high speed trucks coming the other way. Sometimes the autosteer drifts too close to the centerline for comfort. I look forward to a time when the autosteer isn't a strict/dumb lane centering, but chooses more intelligent lines that bias away from head-on traffic, etc. more like an experienced human driver.

casun | 15 août 2019

on the highway? yes. on surface streets? no.

sixstring09 | 15 août 2019

I use autosteer on the highway.

I use cruise control about 50% when I have some distance to travel on regular roads.

gadget63 | 15 août 2019

I drive with it on just about everywhere I go, even short local trips.

AWDTesla | 15 août 2019

Never.

SalisburySam | 15 août 2019

In my LR RWD w/EAP/FSD I used to drive with all the auto-goodies engaged wherever and whenever it would, percentages-wise probably in the high 90’s% of my driving. Since 24.4 however with its hugely increased phantom braking, I use the auto stuff until the 3rd unexplained phantom braking, then its all disabled and all me driving the rest of the trip. So annoying. I’ve been on 24.4 for 21 days, and my average time-between-updates is 16 days so I’m due to get off this release...can’t wait. On the positive side, I can submitted a coherent pithy bug report in a flash now without thinking.

walnotr | 15 août 2019

I drive my car all the time, about 90% of that is using a combination of auto steer, TACC, and NoAP. The point is, I am driving even if the car is handling the control functions. After 55 years of driving, the act of getting in a car to get someplace is not as much fun as it used to be when I was an invincible youth. The technology is amazing and improving all the time. It’s not FSD yet, but I can see it on the horizon.

LostInTx | 15 août 2019

I use EAP at every opportunity but use NoA far more sparingly. EAP on extended highway drives makes the trip far more relaxing. NoA bounces around, changing from lane to lane, based on it's perception of a "faster lane" or "passing lane". NoA doesn't appear particularly intuitive when changing lanes, especially when it unnecessarily slows down to do so.

I hope Tesla is grabbing as much info as it can from our cars and if it does, I think the data shows that EAP is very good and NoA needs significant help.

herrmdogg | 15 août 2019

I'm like most everyone else here, ~90% of the time I have autopilot on and every day to-from work I have navigate on autopilot, I absolutely love it!

HighlandPony | 15 août 2019

I have EAP/NoA engaged the vast majority of the time. Both on freeways and surface streets. Just did a 1500 mile road trip last weekend, it performed very well. It’s not perfect by any stretch but it gets better with every update.

TickTock | 16 août 2019

Whenever it is just me I keep it on. When I have passengers I just use TACC for their comfort.

StokedEV | 16 août 2019

I love TACC and autosteer and use them both around town and on highways whenever I can. So much that sometimes I feel a bit dangerous driving the other cars in our family (so used to the features that I get a bit lazy and tend to drift more than I did before). I automatically turn these features off right before round-a-bouts and stop signs/lights. I have NoA turned on, but because my town is a bit rural it doesn't even show up until I'm about 45 minutes away (towards civilization). I love to make excuses to take drives (gotta make a costco run etc) just to try NoA. Not many Model 3s in my area yet but every day I offer the kool-aid. I've had/driven many cars in the past 40 years and will hopefully have a tesla the rest of my life. Best.Car.Ever!

thedrisin | 16 août 2019

I use AP on open highways and in commuter traffic where it is excellent. Other times, the local highways are too congested for AP to operate smoothly. Between the amount of traffic, aggressive drivers and unending construction, AP does not function well. It uses friction brakes more than I would and does not anticipate behavior of aggressive drivers. On the surface streets it is almost impossible to use except on very short stretches.

F.vanalstine | 16 août 2019

I find that autopilot is much smoother in the “chill” mode.

TickTock | 16 août 2019

@F.vanalstine: "I find that autopilot is much smoother in the “chill” mode"
:-O
Is there really a difference in AP behavior based on "chill/standard/ludicrous" mode? I hope not. I prefer the control of chill mode but abandoned it because of the lag for safety reasons ( https://forums.tesla.com/forum/forums/chill-mode-should-still-accelerate... ). If I have to switch back to chill whenever I enable AP, that is really really annoying.

howard | 16 août 2019

Reflex | August 14, 2019
Reading all these comments, I wonder what is wrong with my car. I don't even use AP on the freeway, let alone around town. I avoid TACC because it isn't smooth. It makes my kid car sick, and makes me feel like an idiot is driving my car. In contrast, our BMW X2 is smoooooth in adjusting to leading vehicles. Hell, the Nissan Altima I rented on vacation had better TACC than the Model 3.

+1

I could not agree more. Unfortunately, some cars are apparently better or made out to be that way or some owners are way more tolerant.

My 2019 Volt like your BMW X2 and Altima rental is much better than Tesla TACC. I don't use either except briefly with each new software release hoping for improvements. Just more games and other gimmicks so far.

Joshan | 16 août 2019

/facepalm

Wilber | 16 août 2019

I almost never use TACC or EAP. And this is on all kinds of roads around the Bay Area. I suppose when i take a long distance drive to someplace like Seattle i will try it on four lane divided highway limited access roads (freeways).

KAM6 | 16 août 2019

If you aren't using it in rush hour traffic I feel like you are doing something wrong haha. It reduces the stress of stop and go driving significantly.

Joshan | 16 août 2019

I feel like I need to video myself using it on city roads and it doing pretty much everything perfectly. Because what a few people repeatedly state on this forum is nothing like what I am seeing on a daily basis. I will post it and let them try to tell me what it is doing wrong. My guess is, they will ignore the topic and act like it never existed...

KAM6 | 16 août 2019

I've done a few... they are super boring because I'm still trying to figure out the whole video editing process. Skip the first couple of videos because my camera setup sucked. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgyFR1Tb77qWgqP3-5a5Uow

Joshan | 16 août 2019

Very nice!!! I will bookmark that :)

PhillyGal | 16 août 2019

Barely ever use it because most of my commute is inappropriate for AP use (eg: not a divided highway). I'm starting to use it more on the small portion of my commute that is a divided highway because it seems to have learned the new temporary lanes recently. It's a long term construction project and both Nav (directions) and AP struggled with it before.

Marzipan | 16 août 2019

I use it a lot, but really depends on the kind of trip. On daily commutes with lots of traffic, yes 99.9% of the time. Even with less traffic I often using it on routes that I drive daily. On long distance travel I still use it 70% of the time (its just much more relaxing)- but then from time to time, if there is no traffic, and I just want to have some fun I don't use it end enjoy the instant acceleration (better don't check the energy consumption in those cases or how awesome it drives on smaller roads with lots of curves )

jimglas | 16 août 2019

I use it most of the time, even in city driving. It keeps me from speeding.

Techy James | 16 août 2019

Whether you use AP/TACC on city and rural roads or just EAP/NoAP on Limited Access roads don't think it makes much difference to the training of neural net. There is a reason Tesla spent extra money to equip all Current MS, MX, and M3 with hardware for FSD. I remember from Autonomous day that the computer is running in Shadow mode, and comparing it's decisions to yours. So given that, I would image there is neural learning occurring especially is cases where AP may have reacted a different way than you. The system can flag it and compare notes when they are looking for similar edge cases. This is how Tesla can gain easily a billion of actual miles monthly not just simulated miles.
Myself I use it occasionally, but I have to always watch the mapped speed data, since there is plenty of times the mapped data and the signs don't match. This variation can be both 10+ miles over or below posted speed. Now for my drive on highways which is about 50% of my daily drive, I will almost always use the EAP. I am still trying to work out the logic for it's decision Speed Based Lane changes. I have always used the Mild setting, so don't know about other options like Average and Mad Max. My guessing Mad max, would always attempt to change lanes if possible and more likely to cut someone off. Then Average would be a setting between Mild and Mad Max. With mild the only thing I can determine for moving into passing lane, it seems to do it more frequently when vehicle ahead is a large vehicle like Tractor Trailer, but even that it's not always. Other thought was it occurs based on speed of upcoming vehicle, but even that is not consistent.
Who know maybe when they push out FSD there will be option to turn overlay on of it's identified targets and show some type of considered logic with predictions to outcomes.

Techy James | 16 août 2019

@CharleyBC I totally agree. There are some road that are just too much fun to drive, so I would never consider letting AP take my fun time. :-/

@Reflex Maybe it's like the Auto park feature I have. I used to never use it because each time it was so slow and making multiple corrections. Then after I started letting it Park, it got better after a few attempts. Maybe it just a mater of giving it the change to learn from the mistakes. So maybe a little more time letting it train could be good. Also make sure you have latest firmware. My Current version is 2019.28.2.

@SalisburySam Odd while I am on 2019.28.2 now, I though 24.2 was the first time a noticed a considerable reduction in the phantom braking where I had learned to anticipate majority of time and offset with a light tap on accelerator.

Pages