Forums

Sirius XM does not work intermittently

Sirius XM does not work intermittently

Generally it works well but maybe every fifth day or so I drive out of my garage and SXM has 0 bars and doesn’t work. The next time I use the car or park it, it starts working.

I expect someone will say it is the antenna but I am doubtful of this. The reason is that it gets solid four bars, the highest that any of the bands gets (though none ever get 5 bars) when it works and almost never fluctuates when working. Anyhow, has anyone else observed a similar problem and know of a fix? I have been hesitant to bring it in for service since I expect it will
be working perfectly when I get to Tesla service.

TeslaTap.com | 3 septembre 2019

What year is your car? MCU1 or MCU2? Have you tried a reboot?

I did read your title as XM always works fine (you're sort of using a double negative), but understand what you meant.

selbstsa | 3 septembre 2019

2019 Long Range just purchased in June of this year. Yes I have rebooted and it has no effect whatsoever on the problem of SXM not working every so often. I am now switching the radio to FM when I pull in the garage since I wonder if the problem is due to the antenna not getting an SXM signal in the garage then it has trouble connecting with a clear view as I pull out of the garage. I can’t figure out the cause but, as I suggested, when it works it works well and consistently so I doubt it is a problem with the antenna being able to connect.

bp | 4 septembre 2019

We have seen intermittent XM issues with the recent software updates, when the XM media player will stop playing - which is corrected by rebooting the console processor.

But overall, we haven't experienced the problems reported by the OP. When pulling out of our garage, it can take a minute or two for the XM radio to begin playing after it acquires a satellite signal.

selbstsa | 4 septembre 2019

I notice, too, that both the FM Radio and SXM get a maximum of 4 bar signal strength, not five bars. Is this normal?

henry | 6 novembre 2019

I have EXACTLY the same issue. Intermittent loss of XM that spontaneously corrects after the care has been parked a while. Must be some sort of software glitch that needs to be fixed.

neil | 3 janvier 2020

I also have the same issue with my LD MS delivered this past summer. There have been numerous times the SXM radio option is missing from the screen....as if it never existed. There are other times that I push an existing Favorite and the radio doesn't respond at all. This has been going on for months and appears to be completely independent of my MS software version.
My SC told me this is a 'known issue' which makes me feel worse. The engineers have time to make the Easter eggs like whoopy cushions working but not something i actually paid for.

Neil

wayneiac | 17 janvier 2020

I've only owned my Model S less than 1 month, and just experienced this bug today. Exactly as @neil was saying: it was working yesterday, and then today, Sirius XM is totally absent from the menu. My favourites are still there, but when I tune to them the speakers are silent. I tried a reboot, but no joy.
If this is a known bug, I wish they would fix it!

iwasfuzz | 9 février 2020

I have a 2020 Model S I bought in November 2019. The SXM works most of the time. Sometimes at night it is as if it does not exist. I think I figured out the problem. When the rear window fog up, the SXM does not work. Is that where the antenna is located? During the day it works fine.

awajr31 | 11 février 2020

I have the same SXM issue. The only resolution to date is to shut off power and get out of the car for at least 15 minutes. This lets the car go to sleep. Upon awakening, software is apparently reloaded which restored SXM radio. At least it has worked for me. Tesla service suggested this procedure.