Forums

Dashcam

Dashcam

Recently, I noticed a black dot to the left of the Dashcam icon. Touching the black dot causes a red dot to appear within it. Any ideas?

82bert | 13 septembre 2019

Sentry mode.

lilbean | 13 septembre 2019

How does it work?

rehutton777 | 13 septembre 2019

With Sentry mode activated, when a "sentry event" occurs it drops the video files from the 3 cameras (front, left repeater and right repeater) into the "Saved files" folder for a 10 minute period prior to and including the "event". An event may be someone walking close to or touching the car.

elsherbi | 13 septembre 2019

I have recently noticed that when i park the car with sentry mode activated, i return to the car with a message saying x number of events but the USB icon has disappeared despite that the USB is in place and the icon was there when i left the car. Anyone has an explanation?

jamilworm | 13 septembre 2019

@elsherbi - maybe the usb drive ran out of space?

Resist | 14 septembre 2019

rehutton77 - Touching the car has nothing to do with Sentry Mode recording, there are no sensors for that. It only records when movement is seen by the affected camera.

EVRider | 14 septembre 2019

@elsherbi: What do you mean exactly when you say “USB icon”?

sandysimon45 | 14 septembre 2019

I have had my car a week now M 3S+. I just got a 128gb flash drive and made sure it was formatted FAT32 and has the file TeslaCam. Plugged it in expecting to see the Dashcam icon and got nothing. Tried reformatting two more times and nothing. Took an older 4GB stick and it is already formatted FAT32. Again no icon. Any suggestions? Thanks.

gadget63 | 14 septembre 2019

I had my USB run out of space due to activation sentry mode. So, once a week or so I just delete the saved files.

legna_fo_htaed | 14 septembre 2019

Do we not do the RTFM thing anymore? :(

elsherbi | 14 septembre 2019

I use 32GB SanDisk USB flash drive formatted FAT32. Few seconds after insertion the icon appears on the screen. It does record immediately and save the files if you press the icon on the screen. My main problem is that it does not record the events of the sentry mode. When i return to the car it says x number of events occurred but the icon is gone. When i unplug the USB and replug it again, the icon reappears but it would not save any event. When i check the drive on my computer it is almost empty with just few footage of my garage recorded when i initially inserted. I noticed this problem after the last software update because it was working fine before. Did anyone have similar experience.

EVRider | 15 septembre 2019

@sandysimon45: When you say you create the file TeslaCam, you mean you created a folder with that name, correct?

rehutton777 | 15 septembre 2019

@elsherbi: I "upgraded" to a SanDisk Cruzer 128 GB flash drive, and even with that I still had the problems you (and others) have reported. Often it would be accompanied by a "Drive speed too slow" warning, but not always. Especially in warmer weather, when I removed the drive it would be very hot - - I suspect these are not appropriate for the fast "writing" speeds required for recording SentryCam video. I then upgraded again to a SanDisk 128 GB SDXC card (high-speed, $25.99 - Amazon) placed into a Vanja Type C SD card reader ($10.99 Amazon). Have had no problems since, except that periodically (rarely) one of the cameras (varies) doesn't record properly.

rehutton777 | 15 septembre 2019

I did have to use a formatting utility (free download) to change the format of the 128 GB SD card to FAT32, since Windows won't format anything over 32GB to FAT32. Also added the TeslaCam folder on the disk prior to use.

sandysimon45 | 17 septembre 2019

@EVRider Sorry, I meant that I created a folder with the name. Any ideas why I get nothing?

EVRider | 17 septembre 2019

@sandysimon45: Are you using one of the front USB ports? The rear ones are only good for charging. If you’re using the front ports, I don’t know why it wouldn’t work unless there’s a typo in the TeslaCam folder name.

Are you able to write to the same USB from a computer?