Forums

Will our children hate us

Will our children hate us

andy.connor.e | 18 septembre 2019

Couldnt read article because requires a subscription. But they'll hate every generation prior to theirs when they find out that they did NOTHING when they knew EVERYTHING that was going to happen as a result of doing NOTHING.

jimglas | 18 septembre 2019

they should

tigerkc | 18 septembre 2019

Hate is a strong word, more like parents are "stupid".

I like to think of it like this. When our grandchildren are 18-20 years old and the quality of life is drastically lower with a 'perfect weather day' occurring rarely. Disastrous weather events such as heat waves, cold spikes, snowstorms, 'bomb-out' winter storms, nor'easters, tornadoes, hurricanes, river flooding, general flooding, receding coastline, drought. How many did i miss?

Maybe they might be a little pissed about how life is very difficult to endure compared to today. What might piss them off is finding out that we could have prevented it knowingly ignoring the truth about the consequences of doing nothing for an entire century. Ya, if i found that out i'd probably be a little pissed too.

This is not even accounting for potential famine, crop growth reductions, air pollution, soil and water contamination that has been ongoing for decades. I'd probably die from the air quality if i lived in places like Beijing or Los Angeles.

jimglas | 18 septembre 2019

Climate change mass migration has already started.
Its only going to get worse

TabascoGuy | 18 septembre 2019

HazMat suits are on sale at Walmart. Perfect stocking stuffer for the little brats.

Maybe this year i will get a gas mask!

dmm1240 | 18 septembre 2019

Yes.

TranzNDance | 18 septembre 2019

My kids love me and my car. I'm not a Boomer.

Tesla2018 | 19 septembre 2019

Society adapts to change. Would you have rather lived 100 years ago when people rode horses, mail was delivered by pony express, you risked your life trying to cross the Atlantic on a ocean liner, and airplanes hadnt been invented. And neither was air conditioning, and you had to chop wood all day to keep your fireplace going during the winter and hope the candles you used for light didnt burn down your house. And if you lived to be 60 you were lucky.

Its also hypocritical to worry about the future for your kids since most climate change people believe increases in population are the main reason for climate change. My gas guzzler does less harm to the environment than the tons of garbage that 2 or 3 offspring will produce over their lifetimes.

andy.connor.e | 20 septembre 2019

Garbage is probably the most significant thing affecting the environment right next to greenhouse gasses. Also no one really pays much attention to Methane being orders of magnitude more potent as a greenhouse gas than CO2. Keep fracking though!

SCCRENDO | 20 septembre 2019

@Tesla2018. Society does adapt to change. But why create horrible crap and then have to adapt. Flood the coastal cities and move everyone to the mountains???

TabascoGuy | 20 septembre 2019

@Tesla2018 "My gas guzzler does less harm to the environment than the tons of garbage that 2 or 3 offspring will produce over their lifetimes."

That still doesn't justify keeping the gas guzzler. If you are able to make a change, however large or small, to benefit the planet, one should feel compelled to do so for the sake of our children.

No justification. But its much easier to reduce waste than it is to pull tens of thousands of dollars out of your pocket for a new car that you dont need. There is a trickle-down effect of reducing waste and reducing oil demand. Both are highly significant in large numbers.

SCCRENDO | 20 septembre 2019

You need to do both.

RedShift | 20 septembre 2019

Tabasco

“That still doesn't justify keeping the gas guzzler. ”

Logical. And incomprehensible as a concept to Mr. Tesla2018.

+1 @SCC

blue adept | 20 septembre 2019

@Tesla2018

Shouldn't you be off somewhere getting your a$$ kicked for yelling at someone's baby?

TranzNDance | 20 septembre 2019

On the bright side, it seems @Tesla2018 won't be procreating.

blue adept | 20 septembre 2019

Well, there's at least that....

Maxxer | 20 septembre 2019

I commuted on my bike 20 years
Bought a Tesla when I had to work south shore
Went Vegan to limit Methane emissions coming from feeding the cows that go in my plates
Always buy local vegetables and fruits
I am the most extremist reuser, 10 years training on the same road bicycle, 5 years on my iPhone 6 Plus, etc.

Maxxer | 20 septembre 2019

They will have plenty of people to hate more than me.

aaaaannestone | 23 septembre 2019

ahah the topic is great!

TeslaTap.com | 23 septembre 2019

@aaaaannestone - A copy and paste bot getting ready to spam (it hit many threads this morning). Flag away.

Tesla-David | 23 septembre 2019

Greta Thunberg had some justifiably harsh words to World Leaders at the UN Climate Conference today.

"Teen environmental activist Greta Thunberg delivered an emotional and scathing speech at the United Nations on Monday, accusing world leaders of stealing her dreams and her childhood with their inaction on climate change.
"I shouldn't be up here. I should be back at school on the other side of the ocean," the 16-year-old from Sweden told the United Nations Climate Action Summit. "Yet you all come to us young people for hope. How dare you! You have stolen my dreams and my childhood with your empty words."

Thunberg slammed the members of the U.N. for caring more about money and "fairytales of eternal economic growth" than collapsing ecosystems, mass extinctions and people suffering due to climate change."

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/teen-climate-activist-greta-thunberg-...

andy.connor.e | 23 septembre 2019

The biggest global catastrophe is having leaders and people in positions of great power who have gone decades or even half a century with zero accountability for their actions or promises. I dont believe anything will change so long as "business as usual" can continue with zero consequences to the short term.

Yodrak. | 24 septembre 2019

"most climate change people believe increases in population are the main reason for climate change"

I don't know if that's true, but I personally believe that increasing population is a significant factor behind many of the problems that plague the world today. Ultimately, the world needs to develop societal and economic models that don't depend on population growth, and return to a human population level that is something less than what we have today.

SamO | 25 septembre 2019

Hate them. No.

Put them on trial for their crimes. Yes.

sklancha | 25 septembre 2019

@Yodrak- We theoretically could solve the climate crisis without taking greater individual responsibility, by decreasing the amount of people in the world. We can expedite the attrition of humans by mandating sterilization, maybe a big juicey world war III, and outlawing resuscitation. The less humans around, the more careless we can continue to be.

Alternatively, instead of drastically reducing the human population at large, we can drastically reduce the our per capita carbon foot print.

Then again- maybe the first plan is for the best :0

angel

blue adept | 25 septembre 2019

@Yodrak.

In a world where we throw away 40% of usable foodstuffs while experiencing simultaneous epidemics of obesity and starvation, I don't see how "most climate change people believe increases in population are the main reason for climate change", let alone how it could even be considered a "climate" issue in the first place.

https://www.epa.gov/facts-and-figures-about-materials-waste-and-recyclin...

Especially when it has been explicitly proven that the "climate change" we've been experiencing is empirically tied to our commuting, commercial, and industrial activities.

What I do, however, see is a misanthropic argument for marginal genocide or controlled extinction to lower our numbers to a more controllable level to make it that much easier for a select few to rule us, you know, thin our numbers so they'll be fewer of us to raise a fuss over the so-called "special interests" of the world efforts to pursue their interests unobstructed and/or without any push back.

blue adept | 25 septembre 2019

@andy.connor.e

While we've experienced increases in methane emissions due to relatively recent fracking efforts (which served to bring that particular pollutant to our attention), there have ALWAYS been methane emissions from "flaring" blow outs...

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/news/energy/2016/01/150113-methane-al...

and from the wellheads, derricks, oil rigs, and offshore platforms scattered about the world that industry mouthpieces have (somewhat comically) attributed to bovine emissions &/or "cow farts", if you can believe it (yes, they really believe we're just that stupid) since the dawn of the petroleum industry, ALWAYS!

andy.connor.e | 26 septembre 2019

Oil spills are also a natural occurrence. But methane is leaking out from fracking and from old gas lines. They found immense amounts of methane leaking from NYC that they never knew was actually leaking before. We are all here getting our panties in a wad about CO2 emissions, when methane is 30x more potent of a greenhouse gas. Everything is about CO2, what about all of them? CO2 concentrations are not the only thing that matters. We could have 200ppm CO2 levels and be dumping billions of tons of methane into the atmosphere but no one says anything about that.

blue adept | 26 septembre 2019

Likely because certain parties, which will go unnamed (the petroleum industry), got out in front of the matter and worked to define the narrative in a manner that would be more favorable to them by focusing our attention on the less offensive &/or environmentally harmful CO2 gas emissions to aid in forestalling and mitigating the level of public outcry.

Basically, they kept us distracted while endearing us to ICE usage as a means of prolonging our dependence on them to fatten their pockets.

andy.connor.e | 26 septembre 2019

I look forward to the day i do not depend on any gasoline or natural gas.

blue adept | 26 septembre 2019

You and I both.

I'm in need of doing a little retrofitting still yet, but I'm almost there.

Tesla-David | 26 septembre 2019

My wife and I live free of gas and natural gas, and it certainly feels good to fuel our two Tesla's off our solar paneled roof, storing energy in our two Powerwall-2 batteries to provide electricity when the sun goes down.

Good luck to all who are working on ending their gasoline and natural gas use, especially @blue adept in your retrofitting effort.

We will be showing our home on 5 October as part of the National Solar Tour.

https://www.nationalsolartour.org/open-houses/814/

claudehyler512 | 26 septembre 2019

They will have alot of people to hate, not just us.

blue adept | 27 septembre 2019

@Tesla-David

Living the dream!

+1

Tesla-David | 28 septembre 2019

off topic troll flagged!

Tesla2018 | 28 septembre 2019

Tesla-David Do you get snow where you live? Just curious to see if you need some type of heated thing like they use to melt ice from the gutters to keep them operating in the winter.

I wish they would come out with the solar roof tiles. I will need a new roof in 5 yrs and Im afraid of regular panels tearing off my roof during a hurricane if I put regular solar panels on it. Some people in FL have them mounted on the ground, but my yard isnt big enough and my HOA went nuts over a neighbor installing solar panels on his roof that didnt match the roof color.

Tesla-David | 28 septembre 2019

@Tesla2018, fortunately we get little snow here, but brought a 30 ft snow rake to clear any snow off my panels in the event of snow. I haven’t used the rake yet, but may this winter as more snow is forecast for Seattle/Edmonds.

Wilber | 28 septembre 2019

Yes, they will hate us IF they manage to live to maturity. That article by a former senior state department analyst makes it seem likely that: 1. The US as a country will cease to exist and 2. Nuclear war is rather likely. Of course the numerous effects of Global Warming will pretty much kill off much of civilzaiton, but if you add the population explosion, and overfishing of the seas, that pretty much guarantees the end of civilization within about 30 years from now.

TranzNDance | 28 septembre 2019

The kids don't need to be mature to hate those that are harming the environment.

Shesmyne2 | 28 septembre 2019

Tesla-David
Way to practice what you preach. +1

Still Grinning ;-)