Forums

Autopilot slowing sharply on curves

Autopilot slowing sharply on curves

After getting the 2019.32.11.1 update, my experience on autopilot matches all the good things that others have said -- it does a much better job both at stop lights and in stop-and-go traffic of maintaining a proper distance to the car ahead without sitting motionless for seconds after everyone else has moved. I've also seen improvements in the tendency to dart to the right at lengthy on-ramps. Where previous versions seemed to think "oh, this lane is now 20's wide, let me just swing 4 feet to the right so I'm centered" the 32.11.1 AP seems to get past these areas with barely a wobble.

But one big thing I've noticed that that the 32.11.1 AP reacts MUCH more strongly to curves than previous versions. So strongly in fact, that it often slows well below the speed necessary when navigating a moderate to sharp curve. As am example, one divided 65 mph highway near me has a curve that moves steeply left just as the road tops a hill. Under previous versions of AP, the car wouldn't slow for this curve at all, even if I had the speed thumbed up to 70. But on 32.11.1, the car reacts very strongly at this point, slowing to around 57 mph.

The previous nonchalant handling of the curve was a bit of a gut-clencher, as the angle and the hill made it seem ... well, scary. But the new version is so cautious around this curve that it genuinely surprises the cars behind me and ends up with vehicles flying at my tail.

I can see the same effect even when engaging AP on a curvy side street. On sharp turns that were smoothly navigated at 45mph before, AP is now slowing into the 30s. And, oddly enough, it sometimes seems to slow AFTER it's finished making its way around the turn.

Devilstower | 12 octobre 2019

For those who have received a later version (which at this point seems to be almost everyone), have you noticed any improvement in curve handling? Thanks.

wayne | 12 octobre 2019

I have 32.12.2 and I think NOA slows excessively and unevenly on curves. But at least it slows. :-)