Forums

Can you purchase additional range?

Can you purchase additional range?

I purchased my Model 3 in March. I just love it!
I've often wondered if there would be an option to purchase additional range?
I would love to see purchase options for features broken down as isolated items instead of as a package, like:
- Additional range in 100km options
- Just park assist
- just Summon
etc.

Wondering if anyone knows whether or not this might be a possibility?

Joshan | 15 octobre 2019

battery capacity is hardware (in most cases) and the most expensive part of the car. Sure you could buy a larger battery and have it installed, but the cost would scare most everyone out of that decision.

rgrimard | 15 octobre 2019

I understand hardware would be the case sometimes. However, with the mid-range (what I have) they can easily unlock more range with the click of a button, even if in small increments. Wondering if this could ever become a purchased item.

hokiegir1 | 15 octobre 2019

Depends on what model you bought. If you got a SR, you can upgrade to a SR+. Otherwise, you'd need to trade in to buy more range. Summon and Park Assist are part of FSD, and unlikely to be split out. They used to be part of Ehanced Autopilot, but so many people asked for just autosteer and TACC that the package was revamped to the current AP/FSD split, which I do think makes more sense.

hokiegir1 | 15 octobre 2019

@rgrimard - the mid-range is not a software locked battery. It's a long range pack with fewer cells, so not something that can be done with software.

dmastro | 15 octobre 2019

I purchase additional range every time I plug in at home. Oh, different type of range purchase...

lbowroom | 15 octobre 2019

"However, with the mid-range (what I have) they can easily unlock more range with the click of a button"

uh, nope

mrburke | 15 octobre 2019

@rgrimard - "However, with the mid-range (what I have) they can easily unlock more range with the click of a button"

My question to you is, "Why do you think this is the case?" Who knows, there might have been MidRange M3s that are software lock. I don't think so, but I don't know so.

Teslanene | 15 octobre 2019

I also have a mid range, when I bought it the range was 260 but before it was discounted it was software unlocked to 264 so who knows if there is more juice.

gmr6415 | 15 octobre 2019

@mrburke, The curb weight of a MR is 3686. I believe if you weigh yours you will find that's what you have.

If my memory is correct when they sold a limited number of software limited Model Ss those customers were informed it was software limited at the time of delivery and were informed they could purchase the additional range for $XXX.

I don't think there is any similar information out there about MR M3s.

WEST TEX EV | 15 octobre 2019

But M3 battery is 4 swappable modules. Though not as easily swappable as S/X. Eventually they may have upgraded battery modules to “swap/install” for $XX. At very least as range drops (not likely a big issue IMO) u may $ to swap out for new module(s) and regain original range.

Additionally, When hurricane Dorian was approaching Florida a month or so ago Tesla unlocked the additional range on all software limited cars in the area for evacuation safety reasons.

Has anyone heard reports of any MRs that were range unlocked??

httran26 | 15 octobre 2019

@rgrimard. The mid range actually has less batteries. There is nothing to unlock. If you look at the weight of the Mid range and compare it to the LR RWD, the MR is about 120 lb lighter.

The battery isn't the only difference. The onboard chargers are different and the PCBAs that control the chargers are different too.

ASY,Power Conversion System,PCS,48A,1PH,MDL3 (PN) 1135558-00-D

ASY,Power Conversion System,PCS,32A,1PH,MDL3 (PN) 1135558-01-D

ASY,HV SYS CTRLR PCBA,MDL3,E3 (PN) 1106394-11-H

ASY,HV SYS CTRLR PCBA,MDL3,E1 (PN) 1106394-12-H

httran26 | 15 octobre 2019

@rgrimard. The mid range actually has less batteries. There is nothing to unlock. If you look at the weight of the Mid range and compare it to the LR RWD, the MR is about 120 lb lighter.

Techy James | 15 octobre 2019

@rgrimard Why do you think a Mid Range can have range unlocked. The Mid Range was introduced as an interim solution to offset the Battery Shortage from the LR. It was comprised of a smaller battery that is medium point for SR+ Battery Pack and the LR Battery pack. Now they could potentially add the extra batteries to fill the blank space in the battery Pack, but again as this hardware upgrade the price would likely would deter the person from considering it.
This is no difference for someone like me that got the LR RWD, one would think it might be possible to pay the difference for extra motor hardware and install fee, but that would be considerably more than the original difference in the AWD and RWD models.
@gmr6415 The only cases I know of the referenced unlock of range was limited to M3 SR models that was software limited to reduce range from SR+ 240 to 220 miles. I believe there was also some Model S's that was software limited from a 75KW battery to 60KW Battery.

Tronguy | 15 octobre 2019

@gmr6415: Regarding the Hurricane Dorian business. Speaking as a EE, there'll be two reasons that Tesla _could_ do this. First, there's the SR/SR+ where the additional capacity is software locked; so, unlocking the additional capacity so an owner and his/her family can flee to high ground is a good thing and they did it.
Second: The batteries used in BEV and/or hybrid cars are typically never fully charges nor fully discharged. If the battery says 100%: Don't believe for a moment that that's true. Instead, it's charged to some percentage less, like, say, 80%, with the intent to make the battery last a while. Fully charging a batter to its _real_ maximum capacity can actually damage the thing so it won't take that kind of charge any more.
Still: If it's a matter of fleeing to high ground with high water chasing one, losing six months on the life of a 10-year battery may be considered a Good Thing, the alternative being, well, dieing. So, Tesla might do that, too.
However, you can see why "unlocking" battery capacity under both of the above cases might be a bad idea:
Case 1: Unlock when one pays for it.
Case 2: "Unlocking" that extra capacity and buggering up the warranty because of battery failures sounds like a Really Bad Idea.

WEST TEX EV | 15 octobre 2019

Also they may “unlock” the low end charge “0%” before car shutdown. Again trading battery lifespan for immediate ability...

Joseb | 15 octobre 2019

Short answer is "No"

Would they ever offer this in the future? Who knows, seriously doubt it, very complex stuff.

SR+, MR, and LR, are not software locked from each other, there are hardware differences.
SR to SR+ I believe is software locked. BUT may have differences on the control boards and internal circuitry and sh...

Tronguy, The only Model Ss that were offered as a car that had software limited range were cars that were actually built with a larger battery than the customer was paying for. They were built that way because of a lack of the smaller batteries at the time of manufacture.

This would also apply to someone who bought an SR, and it actually has a larger battery that is software limited; therefore, has capacity that can be unlocked to the same capacity of an SR+, which is what was done when hurricane Dorian was approaching.

I'm very aware that LI battery packs are not actually 100% charged when it stops charging and the SOC indicates 100% and that they are not 100% discharged when they reach zero either. Tesla has a tow mode that taps into a reserve proving there is more capacity at the bottom end, and it can be unlocked by the owner by putting the car in tow mode.

wasabi5858 | 16 octobre 2019

@Teslanene is that what mid range ppl are talking about being software unlock? 260 miles became 264? finding more range through algorithm to make it more efficient or what ever that they do, like the additional power/acceleration is not what generally consider software unlocked... where to streamline manufacturing etc, they build generally same spec cars and use software to differential trim level.

msmith55 | 23 octobre 2019

I am sure that either Tesla or an aftermarket vendor could sell add on batteries that would fit in the frunk or trunk.

msmith55 | 23 octobre 2019

I am sure that either Tesla or an aftermarket vendor could sell add on batteries that would fit in the frunk or trunk.

kaffine | 23 octobre 2019

The problem with making a battery pack for the trunk is it wouldn't be part of the main pack temperature control system. If Tesla was going to do that they would do it from the start to allow the design changes to incorporate the extra batteries into the primary pack control system.

I don't see the point in using a bunch of lead acid batteries so that means it would be lithium. With lithium batteries known for failing in spectacular fashion I wouldn't put a battery pack made by anyone other than Tesla in.

donharvey2323 | 24 octobre 2019

I have a mid range and asked about adding or changing batteries to make it a long range. I was told by Tesla at the service center and by email that this is not done. I was told to get a new car. I asked about the trade-in value on my old one and they said to take it to CarMax.