Forums

Getting HW3 next Wednesday!

Getting HW3 next Wednesday!

Woot! Received a call from my mobile-tech and he says I'm in group #1 - made an appt for HW3 upgrade next Wednesday.

vmulla | 20 novembre 2019

Excellent!!!
Please post your pics of HW3 visualization on the Model 3

spuzzz123 | 20 novembre 2019

This is a model 3, right CST? (just to distinguish from Model S, X HW3 upgrades -- I know someone in this forum was talking it up earlier and turns out they had a model S)

CST | 20 novembre 2019

Yes, Model 3, RWD LR June 2018 build.

SamO | 20 novembre 2019

WTF . . . I purchased FSD for my Model 3 in 2017. Gimme some of that sweet sweet upgrade meat. I'm still bitter that I can't get into the Early Access Program as outlined by EM on twitter.

TESSSSSSSSSLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

hokiegir1 | 20 novembre 2019

@CST - Did you get FSD at purchase, or did you add it on later?

teslamazing | 20 novembre 2019

Is there any current benefit in installing HW3 atm ?

Mike UpNorth_ | 20 novembre 2019

Cones.

PTdenver | 20 novembre 2019

where are you located? Ca I assume

-TheJohn- | 20 novembre 2019

Howard is getting nervous.

CST | 20 novembre 2019

Purchased FSD during the $2k deal, located in the Bay Area.

spuzzz123 | 20 novembre 2019

What is Howard getting nervous about?

Effopec | 20 novembre 2019

I've got a remote service appt next week for a couple of other things. I added "install FSD computer" to the list on the service app & haven't gotten a response that they won't do it then. Fingers crossed, but not holding my breath.

SteveWin1 | 20 novembre 2019

@CST, Did you request an upgrade, or they just contacted you out of the blue?

JAD | 20 novembre 2019

I am torn, Elon recently said the hardware 2.0-2.5 software is still better and more refined, but I also don't want to miss out waiting for the hardware when the 3.0 software makes a leap forward....

teslamazing | 20 novembre 2019

Cones? That’s it ?

CST | 20 novembre 2019

@SteveWin1 - I asked about it during my mobile service yesterday, and the tech said that they don't do those upgrades except at a service center. He did offer to check if my vehicle was on the list and called me the next day to make an appointment.

jnguyen_63 | 20 novembre 2019

If I see cones on construction road HW3 or HW2.5 build 5/2019.

@HP

That's all I've read/heard so far....I mean, if its a faster computer maybe maps and routes/nav load faster? I haven't heard that mentioned though

And just like that I got a text from Tesla service saying that my car "is not yet in an eligible group to receive the hardware upgrade". They also said that there is currently no way to know when it will be upgraded, and no need to contact Tesla for the upgrade. I just figured since it was going for service anyway, couldn't hurt to ask...

They also added apply dual motor badge and replace charge port insulation pins, which I assume is a recall. I've been debating whether I actually want the dual motor badge - I guess I need to make up my mind.

ADinM3 | 20 novembre 2019

@Mike UpNorth, HW3 is completely unrelated to maps/navigation compute system.

EVRider | 20 novembre 2019

Elon said that for now HW2.5 might be more reliable than HW3 because the software has been "refined" for HW2.5. Other than the ability for the car to detect and visualize traffic cones, you don't get anything if you upgrade to HW3 now, so don't feel like you're missing out, especially if HW2.5 might be better in some cases.

You also have to consider this: what if you upgrade to HW3 now, but down the road Tesla releases an updated computer, let's call it HW3+, because of a design flaw, limitation, or bug in HW3. There's no guarantee the free HW3 upgrade you got by buying FSD gets you a second free upgrade to HW3+, unless the issue prevents FSD from working completely on HW3. On the other hand, if you're still on HW2.5, you'll get the latest version of HW3+ when it's time to upgrade.

rxlawdude | 20 novembre 2019

"There's no guarantee the free HW3 upgrade you got by buying FSD gets you a second free upgrade to HW3+,"

Quibble. If the owner purchased FSD, that entitles him/her to whatever hardware changes Tesla has to make to deliver the promised product. Implied warranty, and warranty of merchantability would be the legal bases.

SamO | 20 novembre 2019

+1 rxlawdude

If you buy FSD you get whatever is needed upgraded.

TeslaTap.com | 20 novembre 2019

FSD is not well defined. I expect the first version will have a number of limitations/restrictions. If better hardware is required to reduce some of these limitations, I'm not sure Tesla is on the hook to keep upgrading hardware for the next 50 years for free. They may not even be on the hook to do it during the warranty period. Currently, they've only agreed to upgrade the processor to HW3.0 (which we presume is enough for FSD, as loosely defined.).

gballant4570 | 20 novembre 2019

Wow. Maybe the fire sale customers are getting some sort of priority? I was one of those..... but I suspect location has more to do with it. More customers concentrated in Cal.

RES IPSA | 20 novembre 2019

I scheduled a mobile appointment for 11/25 a few days ago for HW3 upgrade from my LR RWD Model 3. July 2018 build. Purchased FSD for 2k in April 2019.

I have not gotten a cancellation notice yet for my appointment

@ADinM3

My guess was 100% speculation.
But what makes you sure a computer chip upgrade won't make everything run better/faster/smoother?

Just curious as I have no idea.

RichardKJ | 20 novembre 2019

@CST "Purchased FSD during the $2k deal, located in the Bay Area."

Me too. Also a June 2018 build. Just waiting for my call.

SalisburySam | 20 novembre 2019

Also 06/18 LR RWD with EAP/FSD at purchase. Crickets from Tesla.

RayNLA | 21 novembre 2019

@jnguyen_63
If you see cones and have the latest software 2019.36.2 then yes you have HW3.

kevin_rf | 21 novembre 2019

So, question for when they do the upgrade.

Since they are changing the computer, do the trip odometers get reset?

Many of us have been using them to track lifetime energy consumption.

LostInTx | 21 novembre 2019

CST, I know of one 3 owner in Houston who received the HW3 upgrade and found he had to reset all his driver profiles, HomeLink, etc, as if the car was just off the line. The tech at the time told him they'd figure out a way to transition existing settings at upgrade time.

WIll be interested to know your experience with this.

richardls | 21 novembre 2019

@RESIPSA, unfortunately, and based on my own experience a few weeks ago, I predict a cancellation the day before your appointment. It seems these updates are taking place, but if you're on the currently eligible list you should get a notice from them, if you're not, the policy seems to be wait until you are. Thus, it seems the the only way that scheduling yourself will work is if you are on the current list and they hadn't yet alerted you.

That said, hopefully, your millage will vary and you'll have 3.0 soon.

jnguyen_63 | 21 novembre 2019

@RayNLA
Thank, see cones on display at constructions site LR AWD software 2019.36.2.1.

RES IPSA | 21 novembre 2019

@richardls... I have heard that your accounting of the process is correct. I just thought I would give it a try as I have have heard others have been successful with just scheduling an appointment. And yes, those people who schedule an appointment may already be on the list for the HW3 upgrade.

rxlawdude | 21 novembre 2019

@Ttap, certainly the obligation isn't forever. But Tesla will have to create "FSD Plus" or some such and market it separately to avoid committing themselves to upgrade FSD forever.

The question is, at what point is FSD feature complete? Remember the robotaxi commitment, implying Level 4 or 5, on existing leased M3s?

TeslaTap.com | 21 novembre 2019

@rxlawdude - Great question "when feature complete". Elon expects that to happen in the next couple of months, but feature complete doesn't mean it is released, nor does it state what limitations will be in place. From a regulatory issue, it must have steering nags until approved by DMV. That could be a year or two (or more). It's also likely to be different in every state/country. I understood the context when Elon stated feature-complete as an internal goal, but it's now often been stated by posters as if it's something owners will get. That's still another year away, although perhaps some portions will be released early.

WantMY | 21 novembre 2019

you will be getting HW100 by the time FSD would be allowed on Tesla, lol

bcb2220 | 21 novembre 2019

I'm getting mine swapped out to HW3 next Wednesday too.

ccrandal | 23 novembre 2019

Just wondering if any of you who are getting the swap out are part of the early access program, and thats why youre getting it?

SalisburySam | 23 novembre 2019

Does anyone know if upgrading from 2.5 to 3.0 hardware will affect 3rd-party data trackers like, in my case, TeslaFi? We know they work with 3.0 vehicles, but is any data lost or no longer used in trending analysis?

mferrazano | 23 novembre 2019

Typical Tesla: requested HW3 install for my Performance Model 3 build date July 2018 and this is the response

Good afternoon, Thank you for making an appointment with the Sunnyvale Tesla service center. Please be advised the hardware 3 is not available for your Model X currently at this time. It will be available in the near future, but there is no ETA as of right now, thank you very much for your time!!! We will also send you and e-mail with the same information. If you have any questions please contact your local Tesla service center as they will not see any responses the this message. Have a great day!

They can't even get the model correct. I am in the Bay Area and purchased FSD at configuration.

richardls | 25 novembre 2019

@RESIPSA, did they confirm for today? Did you get the upgrade?

M3phan | 27 novembre 2019

Hey CST, it’s Wednesday! Did your appointment hold up?

Magic 8 Ball | 27 novembre 2019

It is only 7:30 am out here right now.

But we are waiting to here about this CST, inquiring minds.................

M3phan | 27 novembre 2019

.....need to know. : )
Pics maybe? I know a Canadian dude couldn’t video the install but pics were allowed.
How long to install hw and then how long to load up the sw?
Driving: any noticeable difference apart from traffic cones visualized?

joe | 27 novembre 2019

I also requested the upgrade appointment but had it cancelled with a text from SC that my M3 wasn't yet eligible. M3 LR RWD delivered April 2018.

CST | 27 novembre 2019

They took it today and want it overnight. Gave me a S70D to go home in. I'm hoping they keep it over the long weekend so I can take the S skiing on Sunday :) Berkeley SC seems to keep the cars inside, so I'm not too worried about letting them keep it.

Magic 8 Ball | 27 novembre 2019

Cool! So they are open tomorrow?

Pages