Forums

Tesla on autopilot rear-ends a cop car in Connecticut

Tesla on autopilot rear-ends a cop car in Connecticut

This article seems fishy.. As if the police car was parked in the middle of the street as they usually do..

St☰v☰ | 7 décembre 2019
vmulla | 7 décembre 2019

I don’t trust auto-braking for other vehicles that are stopped at at a standstill. I had my share of scares. All adaptive cruise systems have a challenge dealing with that case.
If the cops car was at a standstill it’s possible that this articles is true.

RayNLA | 7 décembre 2019

As a personal rule, I always disengage Autopilot whenever I see an emergency vehicle with its light on assisting another motorist. I often wonder is Tesla could make this a feature. Maybe give a warning to take over and then make autopilot unavailable until well past the situation.

walnotr | 8 décembre 2019

What kind of idiot ignores warning lights and plays with his dog?

kevin_rf | 8 décembre 2019

The fish party is the claim the driver was on auto pilot. Yeah, yeah, the car was on auto pilot, that's the ticket. Pictures seem to me like a collision on the lower end of the speed scale. EAB?

Btw. The fox article linked above is not a primary source, but badly repeats what's found in other articles. If it's the ramp I think is, that's the cut up to 15 and one heck of a complex ramp.

https://www.courant.com/breaking-news/hc-br-state-police-tesla-collision...

https://www.wtnh.com/news/connecticut/fairfield/trooper-rear-ended-by-se...

SdpLV | 8 décembre 2019

Here is my guess: While in autopilot, and reaching into the backseat, driver extended her leg for leverage, to be able to plant her foot, pivot and reach into the backseat, and accidentally mashed the accelerator - disengaged autopilot and rammed right into the cars. I’m interested to see if she was truly in autopilot in this case.

WW_spb | 8 décembre 2019

Does it matter if it was on auto pilot or not? You should be paying attention to the road, period. And be ready to take over. He didn't see stopped cop with emergency lights on and flayers on the road? Until there is 100 % autonomous driving available please PAY attention to the road! Nothing to blame Tesla for.
Fish go back to your Troll cave and get some sunshine on your solar panels, go fish and leave this forum be.

Joe M | 8 décembre 2019

Not the cars fault for sure but you can bet that driving a Tesla is going to get you a bit more scrutiny from troopers as they pass by. Unfortunate for all that things like this happen.

M3phan | 8 décembre 2019

@ WhiteWi, amen. Driver completely at fault here. Did not use AP as Tesla directs.
Glad everyone walked away from the wreck.

apodbdrs | 8 décembre 2019

I find the story true, but also it is a reminder to everyone that we have to be aware that AP is not perfect. My experience with AP has resulted in avoiding an accident on several occasions. I use AP 90% of the time, including street driving and I feel very safe with it,however I still stay alert for the exception, where it might miss something. Tesla's AP is 1000 percent better than anything out there, and certainly better than the average driver.

Tuning In | 8 décembre 2019

I question the truthfulness of the driver.

#1 People involved in accidents have blamed autopilot only to be discovered to be lying when data logs are pulled. Let’s call it the dog-ate-my-homework excuse.

#2 I drive my car in autopilot everyday on the freeway and as it nears stopped traffic it never had any issues slowing to a halt. Not even a close call.

Bonus, I had a Nissan with adaptive cruise control on that I had to veer into the emergency lane to avoid rear ending the car in front of me in the same scenario, so yes it is a problem with any car with radar based cruise control. It just can’t “see” the car in front until it’s too late.

calvin940 | 8 décembre 2019

Until vehicles are fully autonomous, it is *always* the driver's fault. Period.

calvin940 | 8 décembre 2019

Assuming it was even on Autopilot or the driver is being truthful which are both in doubt anyhow.

vmulla | 8 décembre 2019

There's responsibility and then there's capability.

The responsibility for the incident is on the driver.

The capability of the car to react to stopped vehicles is not reliable. However, It has improved vastly over the last 2 years, but still not reliable.

It is easy to pile on the driver, but this can happen to anyone who gets distracted from the road. I would like to meet a AP driver who has not looked away from the road for a moment.

Joshan | 8 décembre 2019

Public Service Announcement:

FISHEV is a known troll who pushes an anti Tesla narrative. Please take his opinions with a grain of salt, avoid any advice he may suggest.

jamilworm | 8 décembre 2019

I don't see any reason to doubt any of the details reported in the articles. Why do you guys think AP wasn't on? We know that cars on AP can hit stopped obstacles, there was the case of the car that hit the fire truck a while ago. The way the story is presented seems extremely plausible to me:
Person is driving on AP, turns around to mess with their dog for a while, car approaches stopped police car and rear ends it. What is so unbelievable about that?

I think it is more believable that someone would trust AP enough to fiddle with their dog in the back seat for 20 seconds than that someone driving normally would just rear end a stopped police car with flashing lights.

Oh, and auto-braking may have kicked in but Tesla even says that it isn't guaranteed to come to a full stop and prevent an accident, it just slows down to limit the severity.

All that being said, yes the responsibility is still 100% on the driver without a doubt.

@vmulla - "I would like to meet a AP driver who has not looked away from the road for a moment."

I agree that most people do take advantage of AP to look away for one reason or another momentarily, myself included, but this particular case would require more drastic negligence. The police cars had their flashing lights on, so they would have been visible from very far away. You would have to be not paying attention for more than a "moment" for this accident to happen. So I don't really give any sympathy to the driver in this case.

Joshan | 8 décembre 2019

jamilworm | December 8, 2019
@vmulla - "I would like to meet a AP driver who has not looked away from the road for a moment."

I agree that most people do take advantage of AP to look away for one reason or another momentarily, myself included, but this particular case would require more drastic negligence. The police cars had their flashing lights on, so they would have been visible from very far away. You would have to be not paying attention for more than a "moment" for this accident to happen. So I don't really give any sympathy to the driver in this case.

+1 for keeping it real

vmulla | 8 décembre 2019

@jamilworm,
Agreed that this would have meant a higher level of distraction. Like I shared, the responsibility is no doubt on the driver.
I think the story is more believable if AP was actually on. AP is not reliable when dealing with stopped vehicles, drivers need to know that - it's not a Tesla thing either. Learning about this limitation is important for safe AP operation.

vmulla | 8 décembre 2019

Public Service Announcement:

FISHEV is a known troll who pushes an anti Tesla narrative. Please disregard his opinions and avoid any advice he may suggest.

——
@joshan
I made slight changes to your version

vmulla | 8 décembre 2019

One of the many articles that explains why this happens, and the challenges involved:

https://www.wired.com/story/tesla-autopilot-why-crash-radar/

Even since the article was published I have observed that Tesla system has improved remarkably.

aslammazad | 8 décembre 2019

Look FISHEV, I have a model 3 and I also just purchased a 2020 Subaru Legacy with adaptive cruise and auto steer and I can definitely tell you that Tesla‘s recent version of autopilot (software version 2019.36.2.4) works FAR BETTER at stopping for stopped cars than Subaru’s eyesight system. If not already tracking another car ahead (coming upon a new car stopped at a traffic light for example) the Subaru will plow right into said car. Please stop spreading misinformation. Your dislike and suspicion of Tesla does not give infinite knowledge of all topics related to it and does not give you carte blanche to criticize everything related to Tesla.

WW_spb | 8 décembre 2019

Side note Adaptive cruise control can't see car if it's not moving. (Other car makers).

apodbdrs | 8 décembre 2019

@FISHEV, YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT REGARDING AP! I use AP on a daily basis, coming up on cars that are stopped in highway traffic or street traffic with out a problem. Some where before you mentioned that you don't even use AP, so why are you now acting like you are expert! I base my opinion on actual experience on my Model 3 not on BS!

vmulla | 8 décembre 2019

@aslammazad,
+1

and where were you?

M3phan | 8 décembre 2019

@ aslammazad, amen

@ apodbdrs, ditto

jallred | 8 décembre 2019

Be careful, he might call you guys snarky and put you in timeout before he will answer any questions.

jimglas | 8 décembre 2019

Remember: FISH is ALWAYS wrong
Just flag and move on

Sarah R | 8 décembre 2019

The only reason this is news is because it was a Tesla.

yudansha™ | 8 décembre 2019

Soon they'll make Tesla driver's take a course on AP.

And regarding braking distance, FISHEV conveniently failed to mention that right after the reports of inconsistent braking distance Tesla released a software update that fixed it on all cars past present and future and the agencies retested and confirmed that braking distance was good. So that is a non-issue anymore.

@vmulla - "AP is not reliable when dealing with stopped vehicles, drivers need to know that - it's not a Tesla thing either. Learning about this limitation is important for safe AP operation."'

100% agree.

-TheJohn- | 8 décembre 2019

I'll add another layer of warning about fishev.
They are liars. Trust nothing they say even if it looks rational.

Enjoy your M3 and you're in charge all the time btw..

vmulla | 8 décembre 2019

how's the driver doing?

Oh he's alive and well after rear ending a STATIONARY POLICE CAR (with lights on btw)?? That Model 3 must be an incredibly safe car!!

====
For anyone who is just starting on this forum, this is a great conversation to follow. You can see how legit discussion points from owners are turned artfully to diss Tesla.

There is no freaking evidence anywhere that ANY autonomous system would perform better than a Tesla in this scenario - I challenge someone to present unbiased evidence.

WW_spb | 8 décembre 2019

Check it for yourself Model 3 and Subaru Legacy rated same and both stopped in emergency breaking tests. Conclusion Tesla systems work as intended controversial to Troll claims about Subaru being superior. Cherry on the top is Blind Spot Detection systems rated same between both cars.
https://www.iihs.org/ratings/vehicle/subaru/legacy-4-door-sedan/2019

https://www.iihs.org/ratings/vehicle/tesla/model-3-4-door-sedan/2019
Game over Fish/Eagle/Troll.

WW_spb | 9 décembre 2019

Lol and Fish vanished from this thread. Doesn't like facts checking I guess.

ODWms | 9 décembre 2019

Despite claims to assert AP was in use during this accident, there has been no facts proffered to support them. We should wait until all the facts are in before we start jumping to (or making up) conclusions.

WW_spb | 9 décembre 2019

Master Dodger ignored the facts that show his comparison to Subaru superiorty is big lie and continue his Negative triads against Model 3. Big smack in the face that Blind Spot Detection rated exactly same between Model 3 and Subaru Legacy.
Bye bye Master Troll.

WW_spb | 9 décembre 2019

"@Fish/Eagle/Troll:Iihs.org show Subaru as still the leader with the most cars as Top Safety Picks+"
Nice try. "Most cars as top safety pick+ ", yeah guineas they have more models in production than Tesla. God, you are amazing manipulator. I give you credit on that.

WW_spb | 9 décembre 2019

Watch this informational video about Tesla being safest car period!
https://youtu.be/bkayYiwrjyQ

ALDONY | 9 décembre 2019

@vmulla,
Thats exactly my point.

The police car was stationary in the middle of the road. And seriously, does anyone going at 60mph on a curvy road is able to brake and avoid that?

There is a reason why they "created" the law, "move over or get pulled over".
Unfortunately it happened ot me where the police car is basically sitting in the middle

JAD | 9 décembre 2019

@WW, that is a great video. Hard to put your family in any other car after watching that.

lbowroom | 9 décembre 2019

Has fish started a thread since last week?

calvin940 | 9 décembre 2019

Go away FISHEV (aka Eagles). You lie and you are generally unhelpful.

Go to one of the many car companies to which you pledge allegiance . I am sure you will be happier as will we.

rxlawdude | 9 décembre 2019

I'm not seeing @Fish's posts, but from the reactions here, it's time for us (the OWNERS) to email Tesla to get this bozo gone, once and for all.

calvin940 | 9 décembre 2019

@lbowroom | December 9, 2019
Has fish started a thread since last week?
-------------------
Come to think of it, no I haven't. Specifically I haven't seen the recurrence of those stupid charge station outage diatribes.

I wonder if Tesla has finally removed his erroneous owner priviledges. That would be stellar!

lbowroom | 9 décembre 2019

I suspect he can't post from his previous account and is now using a new one without owner privileges.

andy.connor.e | 9 décembre 2019

+99 @lbowroom

We have no idea exactly how many accounts there were. And he can always make another non-verified account at any time.

Pages