Forums

Ummm, retro warranty change to older cars......!!?

Ummm, retro warranty change to older cars......!!?

Just saw on my account for my 2014 S85, that the warranty for by battery and DU now says “8 years or 120,000 miles, whichever comes first”. Anyone have any insight into this? I blew passed 120,000 miles 53,000 miles ago....

BTW, it’s not just me, a friend of mine actually noticed it on her account as well for her 2015 85D.

I checked to see if perhaps Tesla changed the warranty on the current S and that perhaps that may be where the mistake was made, but nope. The current warrant is simply 8 years on the battery and DU.

pa30pete | 8 décembre 2019

Same for my 2017 S100, went from 8-unlimited to 8 or 120K.

jordanrichard | 8 décembre 2019

Since posting this, I looked at the Warranty manual in My Account and it still says Model S and X’s batteries and DUs are warrantied for 8 years. No mileage limitation mentioned except for the original S60’s.

I plan on printing that page up in case this change on my account is foreshadowing of a change which legally can;t happen, but I want it in print just in case......

pa30pete | 8 décembre 2019

Good idea, I'll do the same.

This is another perfect example where going all digital is mistake. A printed manual/warranty can’t be deleted, altered, hacked, etc.

When I got my car in March 2014, there was an owners guide (short version of owner’s manual) and a warranty booklet in the glove box. Just to interject some history here. Originally, to include when my car was new, the DU was part of the 4 yr BTB warranty, so that is what my warranty book says. I believe it was in 2015, they put the DU under the same warranty as the battery.

slevinn | 8 décembre 2019

I presume this is just an issue where Tesla is listing the current warranty for new cars. It could not affect warranties that were in effect when the car was purchased.

For my 2013 S85 -
The Battery and Drive Unit section online now says: 8 years or 120,000 miles, whichever comes first

The warranty document I have from March 2013 says:
Battery Limited Warranty
Subject to the exclusions and limitations described in this New Vehicle Limited Warranty, the Battery Limited Warranty covers the repair or replacement necessary to correct defects in the materials or workmanship of the vehicle’s lithium-ion battery (“Battery”) manufactured or supplied by Tesla that occur under normal use for a period of 8 years or for the miles specified below for your vehicle’s Battery type, whichever comes first:

• 40 kWh - 100,000 miles (160,000 km)
• 60 kWh - 125,000 miles (200,000 km)
• 85 kWh - unlimited miles/km

Ohmster | 8 décembre 2019

If you have a copy of your T&Cs, there is a link to the warranty on page 3. Save it. Mine says:

Your vehicle’s Battery and Drive Unit are covered under this Battery and Drive Unit Limited Warranty for a period of 8 years, with the exception of the original 60 kWh battery (manufactured before 2015) that is covered for a period of 8 years or 125,000 miles/200,000 km, whichever comes first.

‘17 S75 + ‘17 X75D Both: Uncorked [E]AP MCU1 FSD AP2.5 Intrusion 19.40.1.1 Grin on!

Slevinn, notice it didn’t say anything about the DU..... That was at the time like I said above was before Tesla included the DU in that. So, like me and others with similar vintage cars, we have nothing in our warranty paperwork that states the DU is covered by the 8 year no mileage limit warranty. Up until this recent change in our respective accounts, it said Battery/Drive Unit 8 yrs/unlimited miles.

Ohmster, what is T&Cs?

I looked up under My Account for Warranty and it still says S and X battery and drive unit are covered for 8 years. No mention of mileage limitation except for thoseS60’s made prior to 2015.

This Warranty info is dated Feb 1, 2019. So the concern here is that either this change under everyone’s accounts is a gaffe which is fine or foreshadowing of an unannounced changed. Per the the Model S page, the warranty still shows just the 8 year limit.

Ohmster | 8 décembre 2019

@jd. Terms and Conditions. Should be with your delivery documents on your account under 'Manage/View Details/Delivery Documents'.

I wouldn't worry about this. They can't retroactively change the warranties so long as they are still in business. :)

TeslaTap.com | 9 décembre 2019

Not all that concerned. I'm sure at some point it will be corrected.

@jordanrichard - I checked my Model S Quick Guide (printed and included with the Dec-2016 S75). Says exactly the same thing (i.e. not changed at least through end of 2016).

rxlawdude | 9 décembre 2019

Current Warranty statement:
"Your vehicle's Battery and Drive Unit are covered under this Battery and Drive Unit Limited
Warranty for a period of:
• Model S and Model X - 8 years (with the exception of the original 60 kWh battery
manufactured before 2015 that is covered for a period of 8 years or 125,000 miles/200,000
km, whichever comes first)."

So there is no mileage limit for 85s and all model Ss after 2014.

jordanrichard | 9 décembre 2019

Ohmster, I can't "use" my original warranty booklet because that was before Tesla changed it to where the DU was included in the unlimited mileage coverage.

rxlawdude, I know that. The operative word is "Current". Just as up until the other day the "current" Battery and DU coverage listed in my account was "8 years, unlimited miles".

I am not losing sleep over this, I just posted this to see if anyone else has seen this odd change. While I am not losing sleep over it, it certainly got my attention and everyone here knows Tesla has a long history of making changes without letting anyone know. I know that legally a company can not take anything away from a warranty as it was stated upon purchase. Well, unless one has proof of what the stated warranty is from the time of purchase......

I just printed a hard copy of the warranty dated Feb 1, 2019.

rxlawdude | 9 décembre 2019

@jordan, I'm confused. The language of the CURRENT warranty has no mileage limit at all. ONLY the older 60kWh batteries are mileage limited.

Here's the actual language from the current ordering screen for MS:
Warranty
Basic Vehicle - 4 years or 50,000 miles, whichever comes first
Battery & Drive Unit - 8 years

jordanrichard | 9 décembre 2019

Yes the "current" warranty displayed says that, under the "Learn More" for the Warranty dated BTW Feb.1 ,2019. Not disputing that. That matched what WAS listed under mine and many others' "Manage Car" tabs.

Now, meaning "current", under Manage Car tab, it says "8 yrs/120,000 miles whichever comes first". Again, the only reason this got my attention is that Tesla does have a history of changing things without notice. Also there is a long standing history of not everything on their website matching. Meaning, updated documents like Owners Manual and Warranty lag behind.

Qwiksilver | 9 décembre 2019

2013 85S 77,000 miles

Mine now says 120,000 as well.

NKYTA | 9 décembre 2019

Ditto for my 2012 P85

jlhm | 9 décembre 2019

Same for my March 2016 P90DL.

PBEndo | 9 décembre 2019

#metoo for my 2013P85 and 2015P85D

Bighorn | 9 décembre 2019

Still can’t be bothered to look as I’m thinking it has to be a typo.

grins.va | 10 décembre 2019

Same for my November 2016 build P100D. Looks like a lot of typos. Something is clearly amiss.

Same for my November 2016 build P100D. Looks like a lot of typos. Something is clearly amiss.

Sorry.

rxlawdude | 10 décembre 2019

Yep, that's clearly a glitch on the owner webpage.

TSLC | 10 décembre 2019

Same. Mileage now listed on a 17' S, but the NEW VEHICLE LIMITED WARRANTY PDF link still shows the same 8 year with no mileage specification.

GoldAK47 | 12 décembre 2019

One place now says 120,000 and another says 125,000. I literally just bought a car over that because it still had warranty.

AERODYNE | 12 décembre 2019

BH +1. But I did anyway. It does show the 125k mile limit. I think we can all agree that since the new S and X warranty does not have the M3 limit, it must be a typo...

More concerning, it shows that premium connectivity is going away. I was told it was like free SuC, for the life of the car. I can't find anything on it in writing in my pre-owned purchase docs last year from Tesla (2015 MS 85D)

I couldnt care less about premium connectivity in comparison to battery and drivetrain warranty. Shouldn't be able to pull it away like that after the fact.

It's not a typo... you dont accidentally change it from unlimited to 120,000. And the app also shows it as well. My premium connectivity shows free unlimited.

jlhm | 12 décembre 2019

I just checked the warranty document and model S and X (except Model 60) has no mileage limitation for drive unit or battery for the 8 years warranty.

GHammer | 12 décembre 2019

"It's not a typo... you dont accidentally change it from unlimited to 120,000"

My Model 3 supercharging has gone back and forth between showing "pay per use" and "free unlimited" but it has always been free. This too is a website glitch.

GoldAK47 | 14 décembre 2019

Well, they now updated the owners manual...kinda strange for a typo.

jordanrichard | 15 décembre 2019

RaceLab, I didn’t know that, but definitely makes one go “hmmm....”

So I just looked at my account, where it before said 8yrs/120,000 miles under Warranty, it’s blank. When clicking on “Learn More” it still brings up the warranty dated Feb 1, 2019 which indicates no mileage limit apart from the original S60.

So I just also looked at the owners manual and perhaps I should before making my above remark, but I didn’t see any mention of the warranty in the Owner’s Manual. What I did see is that the owner’s manual they show does not apply to my car.

AERODYNE | 15 décembre 2019

I did the same. There is also another link under account that gives the correct warranty info. Also, interesting info on parts warranty, most is one year, but DU and screens are 4 years.

Nothing in the OM about warranty as you found.

Bummed a little about having to pay for connectivity. But, I have no other problems, so I should be happy for that...

MySin_AZ | 15 décembre 2019

Any S60 pre 2015 owners out there with above 120k miles and a battery failure? If so, how was it handled, and the cost?

GoldAK47 | 15 décembre 2019

2014 P85+, they just did mine a couple days ago. Well above 120k, but brought in when they said unlimited miles. They were actually amazing with service, so thats why it sucks they are cutting it off. The service is awesome, best ive experienced of any dealership.

Bighorn | 15 décembre 2019

Still unlimited miles. They can’t change this after the fact.
https://www.tesla.com/support/vehicle-warranty

GHammer | 15 décembre 2019

"so thats why it sucks they are cutting it off."

Nobody has cut off anything.

BH, true, so as long as one has a copy of the warranty, printed or saved to their computer. The present warranty on their site clearly replaced the previous version. On Jan 31st, the warranty had “x” written in it and then on Feb 1, 2019 changes were made. So if one relies entirely on what is on the website, that is a moving target.

@jr
I posted the link above of the current verbiage. 8 years, unlimited.

NKYTA | 15 décembre 2019

I’m not concerned.

And from page 5 of the current warranty on MyTesla:

• Model S and Model X - 8 years (with the exception of the original 60 kWh battery manufactured before 2015 that is covered for a period of 8 years or 125,000 miles/200,000 km, whichever comes first).

BH, no I get that. I never said that the current warranty “booklet” said anything different than before with regard to the warranty for the S and X’s.

It was the warranty info listed along with other data, on seemingly many people’s accounts that recently changed which would be more current than a warranty booklet published back in Feb.

That 8yr/120,000 is now gone.

Mistakes are usually corrected.

Tropopause | 15 décembre 2019

Mine says as BH described. Additionally, the Monroney Label clearly states the warranty as well.

Tropopause, yes but back when I got my car, the 8yr/unlimited only applied to the battery. The warranty booklet that was and still is in my glovebox had the DU falling within the 4yr/50,000 BTB warranty.

GoldAK47 | 16 décembre 2019

Bighorn, the link you said was 8yr unlimited shows
'which is covered for a period of 8 years or 125,000 miles, whichever comes first'

egonzo21 | 16 décembre 2019

RaceLab, the first part of that sentence is key:
with the exception of the original 60 kWh battery manufactured before 2015,

egonzo21 | 16 décembre 2019

RaceLab, the first part of that sentence is key:
with the exception of the original 60 kWh battery manufactured before 2015,

Pages