Forums

OEM Michelin Tire at 3/32 after 21K mile - Michelin refund

OEM Michelin Tire at 3/32 after 21K mile - Michelin refund

I took my '18 Model 3 LR RWD to Discount Tire and they were not surprised to see the tires at 3/32 after 21K miles. I requested them to call Michelin warranty line (after seeing a few posts where customers where able to get up to 50% back from Michelin) and request for a % offer as refund which can be used towards purchase of 4 new Michelin Tires. They did and came back to me with a 25% refund ($62.50 *4 = $250). I am using that towards Michelin Cross Climate+ tires which are $195 apiece.

$195*4 + $70 install + $55 tax + $10 shop fee - $250 refund = $666 for 4 tires installed.

***Don't forget to get wheel alignment done after new tire install***

Jaganjai | 10 février 2020

Forgot to mention...There is a $70 Prepaid mastercard offer until 2/15 which will take care of the cost of wheel alignment.

gballant4570 | 10 février 2020

Mine were about that worn at 13k. Have 12.5k on the replacements (a BF Goodrich model), and the wear is just becoming noticeable. These will go a lot longer.

coselectric | 10 février 2020

Michelin gave me $527 for 3/32 remaining evenly on the Primacy MXM4's at 16.5K.

Also, there's at least one other thread on this, maybe several.

gballant4570 | 10 février 2020

coselectric, yes there have been a few over the past year or so. I did not pursue a refund, just replaced the tires. I am getting a bit lower efficiency, but much better wear.

vmulla | 10 février 2020

I made my own observations about a refund here. Instructions on how to get a refund, and copy/paste of a chat conversation with a Michelin rep are within the thread:
https://forums.tesla.com/forum/forums/update-tire-replacement-research-p...

gmr6415 | 11 février 2020

Almost 25k on LR RWD with an average of 5.5/32 remaining on the tread...cross-rotated every 6500 miles. I should get 35k out of them or close to it.

Haggy | 11 février 2020

"Almost 25k on LR RWD with an average of 5.5/32 remaining on the tread...cross-rotated every 6500 miles. I should get 35k out of them or close to it."

That sound about right. At that point, there's still warranty left, but the amount of credit gets chopped off list price, and the resulting price won't be lower than the normal selling price at most tire shops. So the warranty always looks better than it really is.

gmr6415 | 11 février 2020

@Haggy, "but the amount of credit gets chopped off list price"

That's why they call it prorated.

I don't see that, that matters. I'd be glad if they last until there is no tire wear warranty left at all. Who knows? There may be better tires out by then.

gballant4570 | 11 février 2020

IMO there are better tires out there now.

derotam | 12 février 2020

@gmr6415: As Haggy said, the discount gets taken off the full list(MSRP) cost of the tire. A lot of times shops sell a lot of tires for less than the "MSRP" of the tire, for various reasons/sales. If the shop is having a fire sale on a specific tire and you bring in a warranty claim, they aren't going to take off starting at their sale price.

Kinda like the "doesn't apply to sale or clearance items" statements you see on various coupons/discount codes for other products.

No_ICE | 12 février 2020

LR RWD, 35K miles, 6/32 left on all tires, 3 rotations. Keep tire pressure at 45. CHILL Mode is your friend...

ST70 | 12 février 2020

@derotam- wrong! I only get 12K on my tires....I take them to Sears..hopefully they'll still be around in another 6 months for my next set....

coselectric | 12 février 2020

@No_ICE, you may have the all time record, much respect.

That said, chill mode is booooooring... (Spoken by the guy who barely got 16K miles on his factory tires).

cnerfin | 10 mars 2020

Michelin honored the 50% credit toward new Michelins ( check in the mail) for my 18 month old stock AWD tires at 20,000 miles with confirmation from dealer regarding treadwear. Im a 52 year old mom so not a drag racer...

cnerfin | 10 mars 2020

Michelin honored the 50% credit toward new Michelins ( check in the mail) for my 18 month old stock AWD tires at 20,000 miles with confirmation from dealer regarding treadwear. Im a 52 year old mom so not a drag racer...

ST70 | 10 mars 2020

@cnerfin- You still have time!

In the World of Motor Sports, results are often all that matter. For Shirley Muldowney the dual desire to compete and win gave her the impetus to break through barriers – barriers of gender, barriers of pain and barriers of time itself – in the quest for successful results. For the better part of forty years, Shirley Muldowney has been an icon in the field of Motor Sports, and even in her 60’s she continues to hold her own against the best racers on the planet.

Joho.keith | 10 mars 2020

I’m at 5/32 all around at 25K miles. Only rotated once at 12K miles. Kept pressure at 42 and always get the car rolling before punching it. I learned that lesson with my S. If you punch the accelerator at a dead stop you will chew up the tires. Gentle acceleration to 10mph before punching it makes a world of difference.

coselectric | 10 mars 2020

@Joho, good idea, thanks for sharing. I really need help making my tires last longer. Plus if you're easy on the accelerator up to 10 mph, you're giving that Beamer next to you a little hope in that first few feet off the line before you mercilessly obliterate it. I like it.

Nakid | 10 mars 2020

Wait, so you only got a 25% credit despite the fact that the tires didn't even last 50% of the rated warranty period? Sorry, but I think you got robbed.

Tuning In | 11 mars 2020

Did the same and got the mileage warranty. I got the Pilot Sport 4s and those are wearing at about the same rate as the the original tires. I have 7500 miles on the new tires. Odd that the old tires wore at the same rate, since these new tires are performance summer tires with half the wear rating. These should have worn out twice as fast as the original.

My wife’s Model 3 also wore out really fast. We replaced those with all season Continentals which are lasting way longer.

There is definitely something wrong with the original tires.

coselectric | 11 mars 2020

My second set of tires is wearing more slowly too. I attribute it to the novelty of pounding the accelerator wearing off, but I also wonder if Tesla didn't tweak the acceleration curve a little to reduce tire wear (just a theory).

Tuning In | 11 mars 2020

I’m actually accelerating a lot more often with the Pilot Sport 4s and didn’t often on the original tires. Grippy tires make acceleration fun and makes this car feel so light and nimble. Magical.

M3NOICE | 12 mars 2020

+1 @Tuning In
Got the 4S tires after 2-3/32 on MXM4 at 17k. Michelin covered half the cost - nice from them. Painless process at Discount Tire.
The Pilot Sport 4S feel a lot stable than MXM4 when new.

Tesla2018 | 12 mars 2020

Anyone know what the difference is between the 18 inch Pilot Sport 4S and the Pilot Sport 4 on the Tire Rack site? One weighs a pound more and has less thread depth but slightly longer tireware and is made in Europe. Does 4S stand for Sport or Season? Can't come see why they make 2 versions of basically the same thing.

I have slid with traction control on when turning quickly with the MXM tires and don't need all season tires since I never drive in snow. Wondering if I should replace them with Pilot Sports or something not all season rated since I don't care about comfort or sound.

Tuning In | 12 mars 2020

If you have a choice go with the 4s as the 4 is an oddball. Some sizes you don’t get a choice. I can only compare based on what I see online since I never had the 4 but consensus is that it’s not as good.

The 4s pairs perfectly with the design and engineering of the Tesla. The loss in range (I get 280 wh/mile) is completely worth it IMHO. It’s a little loud when new and the sidewalls are stiffer as they should be. Not issues once you feel how it transforms how the car drives.

Tesla2018 | 13 mars 2020

Tuning In- Thanks for the info. My other car is a Lotus Elise which the original roadster was based on so I am used to a really stuff suspension and sidewalls and lots of engine and wind noise.

Tuning In | 15 mars 2020

Cool! My other car was a Cayman and I could let go of that car, but once I got the PS4s on forged lightweight wheels on the Model 3, it was a matter of weeks before I sold that off and I haven’t missed that car since. Switch over to the Pilot Sport 4s! Do it!

Tesla2018 | 15 mars 2020

@Tuning In- Do you have the 18 inch tires on both your cars and is one a Performance and the other a regular model? I'm wondering if lowering springs and sportier shocks make a difference too?
Guess I need to go and test drive a Performance model to find out!