Forums

Energy Employees Furloughed?

Energy Employees Furloughed?

In the news this morning, there are articles saying that Tesla has announced that they will cut pay for salaried employees and will furlough hourly employees.

Anyone know if the Solar/Energy side is affected, or if this is just at the car/battery factories?

My panels are installed and I'm just waiting on the bureaucratic garbage to be finished so I can "officially" turn the system on. No progress since install March 27th. They haven't even requested the inspection yet, according to my county's building department. I actually tried to request it myself, but there was some paperwork missing, so even though it "passed" they couldn't close it out and I can't move on to getting my power company to switch me over to net metering.

ebuonaccorsi | 9 avril 2020

Don't hold your breath. My system was install February 28th. My town inspected the system the next day. It took three weeks and about 15 calls to get tesla to notify my energy provider the system was installed. Then another few days for them to submit the correct paperwork. This was all caused by them firing my energy advisor (she deserved to be fired, she was rude and made constant mistakes). They never assigned my case to a new advisor.

I'm still waiting for PTO. My first loan payment is coming up. Not sure what I'm going to do. I don't feel like I should have to pay for something I can't even turn on.

The installers did an amazing job, clean looking install, on time and cleaned up after themselves. The business side of tesla energy sucks. I had constant delays. My original install date was in 2019, they submitted the wrong application to my energy company and had to start all over again costing me the full tax credit.

Atom12 | 9 avril 2020

The business side of Tesla Energy rocks.

I've had nothing but five star service and support.

TeslaTap.com | 10 avril 2020

@Atom12 - I agree!

@ebuonaccorsi - Sorry about the problem you had. After inspection, I was warned that PG&E could take up to a month to approve before it could be turned on. PG&E approved it in 6 days, and I turned it on several hours after they approved it.

If you paid for 5% of the portion used for solar/powerwalls in 2019, you can claim the entire portion in your 2019 taxes and get the 30% credit instead of 26%.

ebuonaccorsi | 10 avril 2020

@Atom12 and @TeslaTap.com I am keeping my fingers crossed that you guys are right and my new energy advisor is better then the last one. I am hopeful, she was bad, she got fired. Make me feel like they care about customer service. Here's hoping I just had some bad luck the first time around. As of right now, I'll just keep waiting for PTO.

dmanincali | 10 avril 2020

I'm in the process of getting my solar roof installed now (which has been really slow due to this whole situation) and know for sure some employees from Energy have been furloughed.

@TeslaTap.com - do you know if paying the $100 deposit in 2019 allows me to get the full 30%?

TeslaTap.com | 11 avril 2020

@dmanincali - Not a tax guy, but my reading is you have to have paid 5% of the value you plan to state as the cost of the system. For example, if your system costs $50K, and $30K was the solar/Powerwall portion, you would have needed to pay 30K * 0.05 = $1,500 in 2019. In the contract, Tesla should state the portion that can be used for the tax rebate. This is only for a solar roof, where the project replaces the roof. The non-solar cell portion can't be deducted. Sorry to say, I doubt the $100 deposit will be enough to qualify.

gregbrew | 12 avril 2020

In my experience, you take the credit for the tax year in which the expense was incurred. Forget about the $30 in tax year 2019, and take the credit for the bulk amount in tax year 2020. Applying to get back the $30 could conceivably muck up your ability to take the bulk of the project later. Two applications for the same project could look suspect...

TeslaTap.com | 13 avril 2020

@gregbrew - That is normally true, but the solar credit is different. My reading is you can take the credit in 2019 if you spent 5% in 2019. You use the entire amount spent, 2019 & 2020, even if the rest was paid for in 2020 before you file. You don't have to split it into two parts. Then again, I've not yet filed my return, so my tax guy may read it differently than I did. I'd consult your tax pro, but it could get the credit a year earlier and have a slightly higher amount (30% 2019, vs. 26% in 2020).

dmanincali | 13 avril 2020

Thanks @TeslaTap.com

Makes sense and if this is the criteria then I definitely cannot take advantage of the full 30%. Still holding out for tax changes though.