Forums

Y timeline ?

Y timeline ?

Any indicators ?

skirtsanis | 4 avril 2016

There was talk from Elon 2019 for the Y and guessing 2022 for there ute/pickup truck with model 3 being so popular I'd say these dates may move forward

Captain_Zap | 4 avril 2016

Is it really the Y or is that just left over from the old joke?

carlk | 4 avril 2016

Yes it's really Y. Part of the S-E-X-Y quadrilogy. The way it looks Tesla probably will delay the Y development so it can concentrate on digesting the huge M3 backlog.

carlk | 4 avril 2016

BTW people who definitely want a hatchback and don't want to wait can always buy an S, new or CPO.

Shesmyne2 | 4 avril 2016

Really?
How bout we get the 3 first...

Still Grinning ;-)

inconel | 4 avril 2016

Getting the first three, plus the unveiling of the 'D', would have made Tesla unsuitable as a family car.

Captain_Zap | 4 avril 2016

@carlk

But there is no "E". I thought the "Y" was just a hangover from the bad joke and not taken seriously.

bryan | 4 avril 2016

3 is E backwards.

cephellow | 4 avril 2016

I think the hatch variant may come sooner than 2022. Maybe late 2018, since it will be based on the 3, and most likely won't have falcon wing doors.
Given the vertical nature of the sedan trunk opening, it may be easier to engineer something closer to a wagon instead of a hatch, with a similar glass roof extending to the back edge.

cephellow | 4 avril 2016

The 3 is not really a 3, it is a model E, like the ☰ in the Tesla logo. Elon was not allowed to call it a model E, so he let it be called a '3' because that's what the three bars in the Tesla E look like.

skirtsanis | 4 avril 2016

That is correct he didn't want to be sued, we all know it's ment to be the model E.

ReD eXiLe ms us | 15 mars 2019

Model Y was unveiled tonight.

Bulldawg | 15 mars 2019

Two more years, realistically. The timing might coincide with when we're ready to replace my wife's BMW X5. I'll wait to order so we can see what all is available at the time.

gbb0131 | 15 mars 2019

Website shows production late next year. www.tesla.com/modely