Forums

Learned Something New Today

Learned Something New Today

I have complained about the useless rerouting the navigation systems does many times. The other day someone pointed out to me that I can change the time savings which will limit the rerouting. I had to hunt around for it and found it in the Apps tab under Settings. I had seen that tab but did not spend any time with it because I had not idea what's it's purpose was. I was also confused where there were only three apps (nav, music and calendar) that were not grayed out.

We today I realized this is where you put in preferences for those three apps (and maybe more in the future). So for music you can put in userid and pw for the two music services. For the nav one of the items was changing time saved for a reroute (mine was set to 5 minutes so I upped it to 15 mins).

rossRallen | 28 juin 2016

Uh-huh.

Reroute get set to give minute savings can lead to some interesting adventures off the main route. 15 minutes is a good setting.

MicTheCat | 28 juin 2016

Exactly. If you are in big city's nav will reroute all the time. Last summer we where in London with our S and we where rerouted all the time and would not go out of the city without using common sense. Same summer we gained 20-30 minutes as nav rerouted another way around Hamburg Germany as there where trafic jam on normally preferred route. Lessons leaned. Make setting to 15 minutes especially around big cities

5-minute reroute took me into some strange places.

aesculus | 28 juin 2016

Maybe they need route by adventure setting. I bet Tesla would have it go to 11. :-)

I suggest "Survivor", "Zombie Apocalypse" or "Deliverance" settings.

raging.dragonfly | 29 juin 2016

Deliverance!! Noooooo......

rossRallen | 29 juin 2016

I heard banjo music on one of the detours...

davediep | 30 juin 2016

@aesculus
Good info. Thanks for sharing!

generic | 30 juin 2016

Is the nav software Tesla derived or a google product? I already posted my frustration with it on another thread but frankly the mapping, multilane indicators and nav is a lot worse than on a garden variety Audi. Maybe Tesla should licence another mapping and nav app or let us use CarPlay or whatever other major car manufacturers use. The 17" screen is only as good as the stuff that is on it.

Also I would like the maps to take over the left display completely if possible when I am using route guidance. Or half of it with autopilot on the other half. Lots of room for improvement here.

carlk | 30 juin 2016

I learned on this forum a while ago about changing the internet music to high resolution. Sometimes we forgot those icons are actually apps.

elguapo | 30 juin 2016

@generic It's Google maps with Tesla's own navigation on big screen.

Driver display is supposedly Garmin, but I still think the route is chosen by Tesla software.

aristagon | 1 juillet 2016

Is it just me, or has the navigation gotten worse? I had an S (2014 AP) until December 2015 (alas, my wife was t-boned and the car was totaled) and the navigation (starting around mid-version 6, and improving in 7) was quite good, and would usually throw up the same route as google maps (which I've considered the gold standard in good routing for the past year or so). I just got an X, and after 6 months without an in-car navigation system, was super excited to go back to using Tesla's nav. However, it seems like the nav in the X is much more likely to route me very strangely (and, at least when compared to familiar routes that I frequently drive, very nonsensically). I've frequently had to pull out google maps on my phone to figure out the correct way to go, and google's route is usually more direct and considerably faster than the ETA listed on the Tesla (and, for the record, the google maps estimate is usually accurate). Both my old S and the new X were/are set on 10 minutes for rerouting. At first I thought I might just need to increase the setting for rerouting, but as noted, often the direction suggested by google, which is usually more direct, is faster; so I'm not sure what changing the setting will actually accomplish!

Remnant | 3 juillet 2016

@ aristagon (July 1, 2016)

<< ... the nav in the X is much more likely to route me very strangely (and, at least when compared to familiar routes that I frequently drive, very nonsensically). I've frequently had to pull out google maps on my phone to figure out the correct way to go, and google's route is usually more direct and considerably faster than the ETA listed on the Tesla ... >>

This is also a thorough description of my experience with the Toyota navigation app (2012 or 2013) in my Highlander.

Naturally, this suggests both Toyota and Tesla purchase the Nav app from vendors who use the same, or similarly, stupid algorithms.

elguapo | 3 juillet 2016

The Nav is awful. Probably worst piece of tech in car. I have a $140,000 car and use my iPhone and Waze to navigate. Fix it TM. Or, just give us Waze since you use Google for maps anyway.

lilbean | 3 juillet 2016

That's strange. My nav seems to be great. It helps me get around the wacky roads of LA. I'm lost without it! Literally and figuratively. :)

elguapo | 3 juillet 2016

Mine has been no good since early days of the S. They've definitely made improvements, but it always tries to take me the longest, oddest ways for typical trips I make and it has nothing to do with accidents or delays. It just has poor algorithms, I think. I don't know.

lilbean | 3 juillet 2016

I wonder if the navigation works better in some cities than others and just needs some refining.

rossRallen | 3 juillet 2016

Nav is also missing the ability to offer alternate routes the driver can select, a good feature of Google Maps.

elguapo | 4 juillet 2016

@RossRallen True. People have said it before - Waxe is light years ahead of regular Google and Apple Maps navigation. We need Waze, but I think TM is too proud to cut a deal for that. They could do it, but won't.

elguapo | 4 juillet 2016

Waze.

Triggerplz | 21 octobre 2016
rossRallen | 21 octobre 2016

WTF? @Trig, we've been hacked! Maybe this merchandise interested @'bean????

@rossRallen. I don't know about those Louboutin Pumps but u know where I would like to put one of my Timberlands :-)

lilbean | 21 octobre 2016

I don't waste money on stuff. My car cured me of wanting to shop. :-)

@rossRallen and Lilbean wears a 5 1/2 so she should get a good price

lilbean | 21 octobre 2016

Hahaha! Shoe shopping is easy because I never have to ask for help. Stores display the little shoes because they take up less space.

rossRallen | 23 octobre 2016

@Trig: I DO NOT wear a 5½, ...although those Marlinaltas are to die for!

We all know where those Timberland should be placed. (It's been quiet lately.)

Triggerplz | 23 octobre 2016

O HELL NAW not enough of y'all have flagged this mess so it would get removed.. SMDH

rossRallen | 25 octobre 2016

Anyone know where I can get those high heels I had my heart set on? Gone!
GAWD they were ...breathtaking!

lilbean | 25 octobre 2016

Too funny @rossRallen!!!

Triggerplz | 25 octobre 2016

Those Shoes were Finally kicked outta here https://imgur.com/a/4aXg1