Forums

Chevy says Bolt will have EPA-estimated range of 238 miles

Chevy says Bolt will have EPA-estimated range of 238 miles

I'm signed up to get e-mail updates about the Bolt, and I got one this morning saying that the Bolt will have an EPA-estimated range of 238 miles. I think previously they said at least 200 miles. Maybe this is old news to some of you, but here's a link to the details: http://www.chevrolet.com/bolt-ev-electric-vehicle.html?mdl=range

My wife's i3 lease ends in February, and since the Model 3 won't be available yet, she's considering another i3 or maybe the Bolt.

makobill | 13 septembre 2016

Roofless - Where are you located? I'm on the same 'updates distro' and haven't received anything as of yet. CA?

Mike83 | 13 septembre 2016

Not that I would consider a GM product but curious about the longevity of their battery and charging places/time. Safety?

J.T. | 13 septembre 2016

@Mike83 Info such as that is more readily available there than here.

http://www.chevrolet.com/bolt-ev-electric-vehicle.html

J.T. Thanks for the link. I'll stick with my M3 order.

David N | 13 septembre 2016

Yup, making all the headlines on business news today. Hey, let's give credit where credit is due. Kudos to GM for making it happen. Let's hope it'll be a positive motivation for the transition to EV's.
It'll be interesting to see battery composition, cooling, actual range, charging options and speed in charging, battery degradation, performance.
Competition is good for America, always has been, always will. Might push Elon to go one up on them.

Rocky_H | 13 septembre 2016

I'm glad it is finally time for some people to shut their criticizing pieholes. They were talking this baloney about how the unfinished Model 3 had an EPA estimated number (which it didn't), but the Bolt didn't have an EPA estimated number (also didn't). Neither one had been tested, so neither one had an official number. Now the Bolt does, and the Model 3 still doesn't. Settled.

Silver2K | 13 septembre 2016

Elon did say the car will get better by the time it's released. I don't think Elon needs to go better than 215 (at release) because of the supercharger network.

J.T. | 13 septembre 2016

This was the plan as I perceived it. Get the mainstream automakers committed to manufacturing BEVs in mass quantities. As it stands now, if Chevrolet does well with the Bolt but holds onto their archaic structure of pricing, service and planned obsolescence Tesla will still have an advantage: a better product with better support and better, more approachable service.

And let's not forget about the fact that Tesla is cool and Chevy is so not.

At least GM will not need an ignition switch for this vehicle; I hope they figured that out. If it doesn't work out they can always crush them.

jordanrichard | 13 septembre 2016

Rocky_H, I was one of those that was critical of GM's purported 200 miles. I am glad they beet that and will gladly eat crow (fried of course), but up until today, that "200" was not EPA certified. Yes, the Model ≡'s 215 miles has not been tested/certified, but I and others believe Elon when he says the Model ≡ will get a EPA rated 215 miles.

I am certain that GM is doing the same thing Elon/Tesla does and that is under promise over deliver. So I am sure they knew ahead of time that the Bolt would hit what the EPA certified it at, but kept that close to their chest. As I am sure that is what Elon and crew did when announcing the 215 for the M≡.

So, we'll see perhaps at the second reveal, what the M≡'s EPA number will be.

RedShift | 13 septembre 2016

Guys, let's give credit where credit is due. This is Elon's master plan coming true. Model 3's range is t yet fixed. May be they can beat this 238 miles figure.

Overall I am impressed. 238 miles and a BMS to prolong the battery life. Not bad.

I think this is front wheel drive, though, right? That's the part I don't like.

kevin | 13 septembre 2016

"Regen on DemandTM Steering Wheel Paddle" ????

As a realtor, the range is perfect for a 'work car' in my market. Don't ever drive more than that in a day, and being able to tap into home solar as a way to fuel my vehicle, while getting the write off on taxes, makes this very attractive. Is it a Tesla? Nope. But it is a comfortable vehicle based on reviews, and doesn't cost me $70K. I think a lease is in order if they make it available to bridge the gap to the Model 3.

SamO | 13 septembre 2016

@Mike83,

It's reasonable to be hostile to GM's claims, but Elon's goal is the transition to sustainable transportation. A 238 mile rating is a positive in that direction.

Here are my dings on GM (not exhaustive):
Their dealership structure is hostile to EVs and sucks otherwise.
No high speed charging. 50kW max.
No dedicated network of chargers.
GM quality
GM's repeated failures of vision, design, ethics, engineering and service
GM's ability to produce more than a few thousand Bolt vehicles per year

The Bolt battery pack is 60 kWh. They don't give a MPGe

nadurse | 13 septembre 2016

I think most people realize that Tesla cant complete the rEVolution by itself right? It needs established/traditional car makers to come along too. This is a big step towards that.

I think that this will push the Tesla team to not be outdone, and to be honest its only a 23 mile difference has minimal impact on the functionality of the car. Good for headlines and thats about it. That said using a 240 volt charger it will still take 9 hours to recharge. I do get a little annoyed when some of these news sites downplay certain facts, like one site i saw called this Bolt a 30,000 car, which its not. Its a 37500 car... No one refers to the model 3 as a 27500 car when they write articles. its always a 35000 car before incentives. Maybe thats because people know that Tesla will exhaust their incentives while the Bolt probably wont (hopefully it does because that means more EVs on the road).

Bighorn | 13 septembre 2016

@kevin
I think I saw 118 MPGe

Rocky_H | 13 septembre 2016

@jordanrichard, Quote: "Rocky_H, I was one of those that was critical of GM's purported 200 miles. I am glad they beet that and will gladly eat crow (fried of course), but up until today, that "200" was not EPA certified. Yes, the Model ≡'s 215 miles has not been tested/certified, but I and others believe Elon when he says the Model ≡ will get a EPA rated 215 miles. "

Good to hear. And yes, fried--mmmm. I like where your head's at. Whether a car has been tested for an official number is just factual and neither car had an official tested number before. Personal confidence in whether a company can hit a certain mark has nothing to do with it.

EVRider | 13 septembre 2016

@makobill: To answer your original question, I'm in FL. I received the Bolt e-mail update at 3:20 AM ET today. Check your spam folder if you still haven't seen it.

My wife is looking forward to checking out the Bolt when it becomes available to look at. She doesn't need any more range than she'll get from the i3 (especially the 2017 i3 with the larger battery), but the Bolt will be cheaper and has some nice features. We'll see what happens. Meanwhile, we welcome Chevy to the BEV party -- the more the merrier!

Roofless - 100% agreed. Thank you! Nothing in the Spam folder but will keep an eye out. I'm in the heart of Big Oil country in Oklahoma - so I'm prepared for a delay in them hitting our showroom floors...

If the timing were different, I might well have bought a Bolt instead of Model S. The Model S is bigger than I need, and pricier than I'm used to. I'm not saying I wish it had been different because I don't. I'm just saying that the Bolt is a lot more attractive in specifications than the Leaf, and they might well sell as many as they can make. It makes sense, at least for a commute car. I wouldn't want the adventure of trying to charge it on a road trip.

Dofpic | 13 septembre 2016

I find it Ugly. Would never buy a GM product after past experiences.

SCCRENDO | 13 septembre 2016

Let's give GM credit. It is real competition for the Model 3. This is good for the environment if we can get more people into EVs. As a longtime Model S owner with 2 Model 3s reserved it is a no-brainer. Even the bottom of the line Model 3 range will be comparable to the Bolt as regards range. But I am looking for the largest battery optimistically up to 300 miles. The autopilot features should be more advanced. the over the air updates and cool unique features are a plus for Tesla. Also the Bolt to me is ugly. Chevy is not committed to EVs and it is still likely that the car salesmen will redirect people to their ICE vehicles. Theyhave to deal with all the BS of car salesmen. The charging infrastructure is unlikely to match Tesla although theer is likely to be a cost premium on Tesla supercharging. To Tesla fanbois the choice is a no-brainer. But I can certainly see this car an an attractive choice for the masses.

jordanrichard | 13 septembre 2016

As others have IMHO correctly predicted, this will make Leaf sales dry up. Same size and type (hatchback) car, with twice the range. The Model ≡ is/will be in a different league. It will be larger than the Bolt, is a sedan with great styling, will continuously be updated, will be faster, with superior handling, more cargo space, etc. To compare the Bolt to the Model ≡ is like comparing a VW Golf to a BMW M3.

RedShift | 13 septembre 2016

According to 3 reports, the range is pretty impressive:

http://insideevs.com/chevrolet-bolt-first-drive-reports/

ram1901 | 13 septembre 2016

238 miles great as daily driver.
Bolt destroys Leaf sales. Both have ugly sheet metal. Both have limited high speed charging capability.
50k vs Tesla's ~115k.
Will have to rent a car or use an ICE for long distance travel which means you either own two cars, an EV and an ICE or rent an ICE for trips longer than ~115 miles ( round trip range requirement ).
Limited numbers to be produced and dealerships still not interested in selling.
Up until 4 weeks ago, I rarely saw a Tesla in my home state.(mine was only the second one registered here according to DMV)
Now, almost daily, see Tesla 60 and 60D's popping up all over the place as well as some of the bigger battery models. Wonder how many are on a 2 year lease waiting to turn in for their Model 3? Doubt they'd be interested in a Chevy Spark/Bolt extended box/mini wagon.

The point: looks like a 215 mile range with supercharging available (60-60D) at just the right price point after tax credits AND 2 year leases are heading off some who might have been tempted by the Bolt's release before the Model 3.

ram1901 | 13 septembre 2016

p.s. My 70D was registered December 2015. Only last month did I start to see Tesla's passing me on neighborhood streets or in shopping center parking lots with local tags. Like I noted above, I'm seeing them almost daily now.

houstonviper1 | 13 septembre 2016

Elon has always stated from the very beginning that competition is healthy and is beneficial. I'm glad to see so many car manufactures trying to compete now, it shows how much influence Tesla has had even though so many people deny it.

carlk | 13 septembre 2016

@SCCRENDO
"Let's give GM credit. It is real competition for the Model 3."

I think you're wrong on this. If there is a $40K Hyundai Elantra will it be a real competition for the BMW 428i? People basically are still buying the better car even though range can be a deal breaker. Model 3 is going to be a much better car than the Bolt in every conceivable way.

@Carlk. Need to wait and see. The 35k car may be a real base model. Need to add supercharging, autopilot etc which could be a minimum of $10k. I personally am looking for a top of the line Model 3 so i believe no comparison. But I could be in for $60-70k

Dofpic | 13 septembre 2016

@SCC If you are spending the I would go with the Model S as it will be a much better highway car with longer and wider wheelbase . I had a model 3 on order but after my first 20K miles on my 70D decided on another S and will go for the 100D early next year

carlk | 13 septembre 2016

@SCCRENDO

The 3 will cost about the same as similarly optioned BMW or Audi but likely a bigger better car with better tech. The Bolt is just not at the same level no matter how equiped. Not to mention you can't get AP or supercharging no matter how much you are willing to pay for them.

@dofpic. I have the model S with 98000 miles and am keeping it. By the time i get my Model 3 it should have 150000 miles. I am keeping it. Not worth selling. I commute 50 miles each way in traffic daily and frankly the S is bigger than I need. I drive alone. As my model S is a classic (vin 77**) I dont have autopilot etc although and pretty much fully loaded. I want autopilot and the biggest battery I can get (hopefully closer to 300 miles) I think the fully loaded 3 is the answer for me.

Nexxus | 14 septembre 2016

@Roofless,

You said: "My wife is looking forward to checking out the Bolt when it becomes available to look at. She doesn't need any more range than she'll get from the i3 (especially the 2017 i3 with the larger battery), but the Bolt will be cheaper and has some nice features. We'll see what happens. Meanwhile, we welcome Chevy to the BEV party -- the more the merrier!"

But on the Bolt will be cheaper comment, if GM finds they have a hit on their hands, then look for an exorbitant dealership markup so they can continue their fleecing of the American public. They might start at $37,500 but my guess is they will charge much more if demand exceeds supply of more than 50k units/year.

Just my 2 cents.

carlk | 14 septembre 2016

Well that's what many of us are afraid of. That Bolt is taking sales away from other EVs but not from ICE cars. I hope Nissan will not be discouraged and quit the market but instead to come out with a higher volume challenge even if it has only, say, 150 mile range. To its credit Nissan is the only company besides Tesla that has significantly contributed to the EV transition so far.

SCCRENDO | 14 septembre 2016

@carlk. Most of us here want Tesla to succeed because they are pioneers, they are selling a philosophy rather than just a car and are revolutionizing the whole car industry. Kind of what Uber has done to taxicabs. But another EV succeeding helps rather than hinders. It helps bring EVs mainstream. So i think it helps move more people off ICE. Particularly GM fans who are nervous about a "startup" like Tesla. Healthy competition is good. It keeps Tesla on its toes. Tesla will survive because of the extras it brings. Chevy needs to become more like Tesla in order to succeed in the EV industry.

EVRider | 14 septembre 2016

@Go_Peddle_4_me: If demand for the Bolt is that high, that would be a good thing, but GM still has to compete with other EVs (including the Model 3), so I don't think they could inflate the price (much).

rgrant | 14 septembre 2016

@carlk as Musk says the transition to electric is inevitable it's just a matter of timing. ICE is at the end of its run. All the luxury car makers are panicking to get a Tesla competitor to market as the Model S (and X) take big chunks out of their market share. As desirable electrics come into the lower market we'll see the same thing happening. The Leaf is very much an electric vehicle rather than a desirable car. The Bolt might be a desirable car (early reviews are quite flattering - and the color selection is quite attractive). We'll see next year whether this is a serious contender or a compliance car. Today's article in the NYT wants to play both sides of that argument. (Everytime I try to link that article I get dinged for spam - and to be honest it's such a lame article it really is spam ;) )

But we all know that Tesla is after desirable cars. They're the Apple in this market (which seems to be why Apple is giving up already - there's no headroom for them thanks to Musk going after the affordable luxury market.

Interesting times!

Red Sage ca us | 17 septembre 2016

rgrant: 'May you live through interesting times.'

Isn't that reputed to be a Chinese curse? Also, Rob? Is that you? AKA, Blue B___erman?

jordanrichard | 17 septembre 2016

Just learned today, that apparently GM will be selling the Bolt, straight away in 8 states. MA is one of them. I was at a "National Drive Electric event" and I asked a Volt sales rep when do they plan on getting the Bolt. I had expected them to say "we don't know", however he said they will have them in Dec.

So I stand corrected on assertion that it was only going to CA, but it is still at this point a compliance vehicle because they are sending them to only 8 states which share the same/similar emission standards as CA. This is also how Mercedes sells their B-Class EV and VW sells their E-Golf.

Watt fun | 17 septembre 2016

If EPA 238 5 cycle on 60 kWh, then if all 60 were used, then 240 Wpm EPA for the Bolt? Any guesses what the equivalent Model 3 Wpm figure might be, given that the Bolt has a CD of 0.3n and the 3 something about 0.21?

Fearless prediction--Model 3 goes 'significantly' (?) further in real life cruising at a highway speed, even with a smaller, lighter, cheaper battery in the base model. But how significant is significant?

brando | 17 septembre 2016

This is inspired by Mike83 post which read;

"At least GM will not need an ignition switch for this vehicle; I hope they figured that out. If it doesn't work out they can always crush them."

The GM BOSS to Dilbert: You didn't go to the parts bin and try to use that ignition switch did you?

Dilbert: Why would I?

GM BOSS: The usual reasons
1- you wouldn't have to design, build and test/certify a new starter switch
2- cutting costs to show you deserve a raise
3- being a loyal employee just trying to increase profits for the shareholders

Dilbert: This new start switch is a least twice as safe as the old one. That's right at least 50% fewer vehicles damaged.

GM BOSS: Why would that be?

Dilbert: Statistically speaking; With the usual failure rates, this new start switch only fails at start up (or shut down). So you can see only the driver can get hurt as the car is usually stopped when engaging this switch, so no crashing into another car. See? Half the vehicles have avoided being damaged.

GM BOSS: What if someone engages the switch while the car is moving?

Dilbert: First, why would anyone do that?
And if they did, well that would just be an accident.
Second, we didn't test that particular outlier case.
So we'll need to investigate this potential accident if it happens.

(BOSS wondering; Which department gets charged with the crushing expense?)

So easy to go after GM.
Kind of like US presidential candidates.

Mike83 | 17 septembre 2016

LOL. Well done brando.

Ross1 | 17 septembre 2016

lol, competition!

Ross1 | 17 septembre 2016

Brando & Ross: raising the reading standards of the forum.

amareshvanga | 18 septembre 2016

I am a big tesla fan due to various reasons. I am up for any electric vehicle which is good but would never go to dealerships to buy a car( they are scums based on previous experiences).Hence no chevy bolt for me.Sell it directly and then I would be more interested.So see-- there is more to tesla than just the range and it being electric.Get my point.? -)

brando | 18 septembre 2016

Some Various Reasons

Model S
Custom built, quickest (not the fastest - I made that mistake before) safest tested, no sales persons, largest cargo area, cheapest to operate in class, no gas station visits, 8 year/unlimited mileage warranty on battery/drive train, free/included software updates (just keeps getting better), free/included SuperCharging.

Model 3 may be quite similar.

And JeffreyR has compiled The Tesla Advantage (an amazing peace IMHO)
https://forums.tesla.com/forum/forums/tesla-advantage

amareshvanga +1 can't say it, couldn't even spell it, proof the world is shrinking and growing all at the same time.

dansplans | 19 septembre 2016

@jordanrichard

I also have been told that the Bolt is arriving in Canada soon as well, which has nothing to do with US compliance numbers.

jordanrichard | 19 septembre 2016

dansplans, true it wouldn't. Gm also announced that they will be sending the Bolt to Europe, but marketed under a different name.

This still doesn't change the fact that for the U.S., they are purposely only selling it in 8 states. There is no other reason to do that other than to meet a compliance. It can't be that those are the only states where there is demand for the car. It can't be said that it would be cheaper in way of transportation cost to go to those 8 states.

As I may have said above or in another thread, VW and MB did/are doing the exact same thing with their respective EV (E-Golf and B-Class EV) It is also the same thing Toyota did with their EV Rav4, except it was only available in CA.

If you try and apply logic to what GM is doing, it pulls the curtain back on their PR for the Bolt and it becomes abundantly clear what they are doing. Yes it is great that at least in those 8 states, there is another EV choice and the potential of removing one more ICE off the road. However, saying that their car is available nationwide is disingenuous because that infers it is available in every state.

makobill | 19 septembre 2016

@jordanrichard - I agree with you. If there intent is not to sell beyond these 8, they are being disingenuous. I was hoping this was for a limited time as part of production roll out. If we are talking about this beyond a limited time, then 'a compliance vehicle' is all it is... I'm hoping not, but not assuming anything at this point....

Pages