Forums

USB file sorting? v8

USB file sorting? v8

Just got v8 last night.

I am a big USB music listener. I just noticed that now in the "by folder" view, when I click into a folder it sorts the tracks by title, and not file name like it did previously.
Why would they change this? Now I cannot listen to the album starting with track 1 till the end? I want to listen to the album like it was created by the artist, like as if I was listening
to the CD. I could understand if they changed the sorting by track #, but Title?????

v7.1 was not great, but at least I could listen one album at a time through the "by folder" option and know it would play the tracks in the right order. Now I can't even do that?

Some background on how I organize my music:

001 - Album 1
***01 - Track 1
***02 - Track 2
002 - Album 2
003 - Album 3

I like to listen to all of the albums based on my numbering scheme. I start at 001 - Album 1, listen to each track and then start the next folder 002 - Album 2. I do not skip folders, I do not skip tracks, I do not randomize
my listening. I would have loved if v7.1 immediately went to the next folder in line and play the first track in there once I completed the previous album, but I was OK manually selecting the next folder/album to start playing it.

This seems like a huge step back for USB music. Very disappointed.

Sorry for venting.

I am hoping there is any easy work around for this.

The only option I see is to build a script to read every music file track number, and append that to the existing Title. i.e. Track # 2, Title: Title_of_second_song becomes Title: 02 - Title_of_second_song

Appreciate any help.

Thanks

Jeff

rxlawdude | 27 septembre 2016

Amen, brother.

Haggy | 27 septembre 2016

The only workaround is to let Tesla know that they really messed this one up. Not everybody grew up in the shuffle generation and wants to listen to random tracks. If I wanted to listen to random music I wouldn't need USB in the first place.

I want to listen to albums in order. And while they are at it, when an album ends I'd be fine with it if they went to the next album rather than leaving it on silent until I open the car door, at which point they switch me to a random radio station.

Let them buy a 10 year old high end car and go under the assumption that that's a starting point. They should be able to do at least that much, and build on it from there. If I could have half a dozen CDs a decade ago, and return to the disk and track and location that I left off, even if I switched to the radio or opened the door in between, I should still be able to do that. While they are at it, let me save my audio settings in my driver profile, and pick and/or pick an audio profile from a list the way I can with a Netflix profile. That way it won't matter who is driving, but it also won't mean that if somebody else drove I would have to lose my place and recent list.

@Haggy, the most amazing thing is those who defend the changes made that result in out-of-sequence tracks under folders or albums, given the only change was Tesla's version. These defenders think it's our responsibility to use tag editors to make the music files work with Tesla, not the other way around.

Silver2K | 27 septembre 2016

when I contacted Tesla about it earlier, the individual said USB function is having issues. The understand why owners are complaining about the folders also.

I think there are enough complaints about it that I assume Tesla will fix it, and will classify this as a fix rather than an enhancement.

jim.bartel | 27 septembre 2016

I agree. USB sorting by alphabetical order instead of track number was a disappointing "feature" of the new v8 release. Fortunately the file names of my music files were formatted as 01. track1, 02. track02, ... I used FooBar2000 (Windows app) to go through the entire library updating the "track name" with the "file name" Took a few hours to run, but the USB music now sorts properly.

lonwa | 27 septembre 2016

Hi Jim, Can you provide some steps on doing that in foobar? Is it under file operations?

Thanks

trixiew | 27 septembre 2016

Can someone share if they have an easy to use PC program to convert iTunes files into compatible Tesla USB format.

carlk | 27 septembre 2016

"These defenders think it's our responsibility to use tag editors to make the music files work with Tesla, not the other way around."

Jeez it took someone a few hours to make everything to work but instead you have spent days here to complain already. And people who are trying to help you become "defenders". Give me a break!

@jim.bartel It will still play by track number if you search by artist of album. Only file view seems to sort by "track name". BTW, for op or anyone else who is interested, even if you don't have track # in your "file name" to use you can still run "Tag&Rename" and batch add track # in front of "track name".

komills | 27 septembre 2016

I have just started playing with this, but find the USB interface seems to be big step backwards and a big missed opportunity to move the interface up to current standards, let alone ahead of them. Unless I have missed something, there is no ability to quickly search, index a category - whether artist, album or song, and songs are not presented in the order in which they appear on an album, making it impossible to play the music as it was intended. How do you play a symphony or an opera alphabetically? I have literally hundreds of artists and albums and thousands of songs and it takes an eternity to just to swipe/scroll from "A" to "B", let alone M. Even my Prius has a simple index function that allows me to move to any letter in the alphabet. This seems like a minimal feature. The ability to search by type, or with voice commands would be even better. Looking forward to the next update.

^^^trixiew

trixiew
or do you want the ability to export to usb flash drive?

I do have Track number in the file name, just not in the title. I am also using FLAC files if that changes anything. Can you elaborate on your tag&replace command? Is that a tool specific function? I am not the best script-er unfortunately.

Thanks

@trixiew

If your music is in MP3 format Tesla will read it. If you got Apple version of lossless APE files then you need to convert them to FLAC that Tesla recognizes. I use Bigasoft FLAC Converter to do that.

its free in iTunes, why pay for it?

@jeff

I don't have the program here so I can only give you a rough idea. This pretty powerful software actually has a very nice UI and is intuitive to use. You first open all songs in the program, one album at a time but you can do larger batch for certain things too. Then highlight all songs you want to change and select the option to change track names and make them "track # + track name". This will add track # in front of each song.

In 7.1 you need to change file names too since metadata are stored in the car and will not reload when you reinsert the USB. Just do the same with file name by adding a symbol, for example making them "filename + "-" ". They will be treated as new files the next time. Not sure if it's the same for 8.0 but be aware of this just in case.

@carlk, I just don't get your rabid defense of the indefensible. THE MEDIA PLAYER WORKED AS EXPECTED IN 7.1, AND DOES NOT NOW PLAY TRACKS IN ORDER. THE SAME FILES AND FOLDERS PLAY IN SEQUENCE IN EVERY DEVICE THAT I USE, EXCEPT THE V8.0 USB MEDIA PLAYER.

Sorry for yelling, but some people seem to be pretty thick and don't understand that not everyone wants to play tag editor just to make their music work with their Tesla.

Oh pleez..my USB files originally did not work that well under earlier versions either. I did a lot of things to metadata and album arts to make them work the best it could. Do a search there were many threads on this subject before. The way you want it to work may not be the way everyone wants it to work either. No one needs to defend whom just don't act like an ignorant jerk.

I'm done with this thread. Carl, you can continue with your ad hominems against the MANY who are having the exact same issue that you don't have, because you "did a lot of things to metadata and album arts."

Have fun.

UnshodBob | 27 septembre 2016

I don't see carlk as a defender. I think his intention was to help people get their USB files to work the way they wanted. I totally agree this should be fixed by Tesla, and we shouldn't need a work-around, but people finding and telling other people about work-arounds is welcomed by me. Isn't that part of the reason for a forum? Thanks, carlk.

And you seem just like to whine instead of making things to work. Well you can always get what you wished for pal!

Thank you @UnshodBob. I actually have spent a LOT of time for trial and error and participated in some early discussions which I learned a lot from others. I'm glad that I can share what I learned to make other's life easier too and to make my time spent worthwhile.

@Unshod, while that may be his intention, calling people names because they shouldn't have to do anything to make what worked before, work now.

When Tesla fixes it, people that dinked with their tags get to do it all over again. So much wasted time.

Tarla's Driver | 27 septembre 2016

I see people talking across each other here, but both are useful. Some people are talking about how it should work, and others are talking about how to make the best of it as it is. Hopefully Tesla will see these threads and fix it, but in the meantime, suggestions for making it work for people through creative directory structures and tagging is a useful workaround.

My audio files are all on a Linux system, so it's trivial for me to write a script to retag them however I want. It's a hassle I shouldn't have to deal with, but for now, it is what it is. I've mostly been listening to a series of audio books, and instead of having the tracks numbered, I've put each into its own numbered subdirectory, which was easier than messing with the tags.

Thanks for the info Carlk. Let me know once you remember the utility name. I do not see that as an option on foobar.

Originally, I did nothing special to my data, and it worked. I have folders corresponding to artists. Within those folders, I have folders corresponding to albums. Within those folders, I have tracks. The file names tend to start with 01,02, etc. The metadata has the track names without numbers. All of that's pretty standard and happened on its own when I ripped or downloaded.

I used to be able to search by artist, find albums, and play an album in order of the tracks. Now if I search by artist, I see a list of tracks rather than albums. But the tracks are in order by album, so even though album names aren't listed, I could effectively listen to all albums by an artist in track order, or start with a given album if I remember which track comes first. That's not the worst thing in the world, but isn't high on the usability scale. Organizing things by album names but not telling you the album names is fine for a trivia game, but not for a music library.

If I still want to search by artist, and then find albums the next level down, I can do that by searching by folders. But then the system uses the metadata instead of the file names, and sorts album tracks alphabetically. That's not useful. That would be a trivial fix. Or it should be if their programmers are competent.

If I want to search by album name, which I don't consider a very good way of organizing things, I can find an album and play the tracks in order. That won't help if I want to see what I have by a given artist. Or if 10 artists make an album called Live in Japan, I'll have to do some digging.

If I want to see a list of artists, I do see them in alphabetical order, but strict alphabetical order. So The Beatles will be under T. That's not how a music library should work.

If for any reason I want to see my USB collection in "song" order, I used to get things in alphabetical order, which was laughable but at least made some sense. I now see things at the top of the list that start with quote marks, followed by entries that start with apostrophes, followed by entries that start with 01, etc. I haven't gotten that part completely figured out, but since that part seems to be going by file name rather than metadata (the rule seems to be to use whichever of the two makes no sense) it means that for some folders where things are named by track number, I will have files with names such as 01.wav, etc. That might happen if I have a concert recording where tracks were kept in order and metadata never got added to filenames, but if I at least know what folder it's in and what artist it's from, then I can listen to a concert in order.

As strange as it was to listen to songs in alphabetical order before, ironically, it might be less strange now because at least it's pseudo-random. It used to be that if I had several versions of the same song, or multiple songs by different artists with the same name, then they'd all play in a row if I played by song. And for some names, I might end up listening to Bob Dylan's Ballad of That followed by Ballad of The Other Thing followed by Ballad of This. Overtures got to be interesting.

It does make sense to have a category called songs, but only if there are ways to sort from within. If not, the new way is as good as any. That leaves Album as the only category that makes sense, even though I wouldn't likely want to search by album names in alphabetical order. The rest don't make any sense, but shouldn't be hard to fix at all. Within folders, a simple change to sort by track name is needed. Within artists, album names are needed. If you give me the code, I'll probably have it fixed in a couple of hours. Since Tesla's programmers are familiar with the code, I would expect that they could do it in far less time and have a fix by tomorrow.

I'm not going to change my metadata (not that anybody said I should need to and I do appreciate people suggesting viable workarounds) because once Tesla gets this fixed, hopefully that will put an end to things.

Tesla needs a far better beta testing program.

guys stop it already!

look what you made @haggy do!
you made him write a 20 paragraph post!
he's trying to join twitter and you guys are not helping!

I'm not planning to use Twitter even if it means I can never be President of the United States. Some things can't be expressed in 132 characters. Or whatever Twitter allows.

trixiew | 27 septembre 2016

Thanks @silver. I had no idea I could do it within iTunes.

just realized tag&rename is the name of the program. Very powerful and did exactly what I needed. Thanks!

yw trix

lonwa | 28 septembre 2016

OK. So the title charge worked for me. I am back to where I started prior to v8. =)

Now, one other slight benefit is the car does not phantom play music while I am not in the car like it did previously. Good, but still not great since it starts the track over from the beginning. I am not sure why it can;t remember the exact location in the track I stopped, but it should.

One area not improved is USB memory if you start to listen to the radio or streaming. I switch to listen to the radio, then switch back to USB and I have to start all over selecting where I left off. Why can't it remember the folder/track of what I was listening to before I left to listen to the radio?

Not hard. Cars have been doing it for decades now. =(

carlk | 28 septembre 2016

Yes USB should go back to where it was either when you switch back from other screens or restart the car. The later is the most important for me. It works now on my S but it used to work that way more or less before too. My X never worked I hope it will change after it got the update.

rxlawdude | 28 septembre 2016

@carlk, but in another thread, you defended the developers and told us to suck it up and get used to it. I can point you to the specific message if you forgot.

So, it's apparently only the things that bother you that should be fixed. Everyone else should get out their tag editor or mass file renaming utilities solely to make USB music worked the way it did in all previous versions?

I see.

"worked"->"work"

carlk | 28 septembre 2016

Congrats @jeff and congrats to you @rxlawdude too. Both of you got what you wished for.

Blue85DCalifornia | 28 septembre 2016

> Tesla needs a far better beta testing program.

There's some criticism of the early access program users on the TMC forums today.

These issues are so obvious, I'm guessing Tesla got plenty of feedback from the beta testing/early access. They just didn't care enough to do anything about it. My guess (yes everyone's got one) is that they were under the gun to 'get 8.0 out there as fast as possible' because Elon tweeted about 8.0, so the pressure is really, really on to 'just ship it'

Now, the question is, 'Does Tesla care enough to fix this or is the team already being horsewhipped for whatever's next on their internal features list?'

My guess (yep, third one in the same post) is that it's the latter. Tesla has consistently shown it's more interested in getting press and publicity about 'new stuff' than actually making the mundane things work right.

jlewisthe3rd | 28 septembre 2016

@Blue85DCalifornia - Im 100% in agreement.

I dont know why people are blaming Beta testers, for problems that Tesla introduced and are ultimately responsible for correcting. I find it very hard to believe that out of 1000 testers not one reported the issues that has everyone in an uproar. The pressure to get it out is what prevented them from making changes, and lets not forget we are all in the greatest car in the world and for all anyone knows they have a fix coming next week for these issues.

I suspect that a LOT of people are blaming the beta testers out of jealousy that they are not in the beta program. I know I would love to be on that team but I am not going to put the blame of a bug or bad feature on them when the code goes through Tesla Devs first, then internal QA and Employee QA and THEN Beta Testing. So there are plenty of other people to blame rather than the beta testers IMO.

Let's not doubt that these issues will be fixed; whether that's with the full 8.1 release or in an incremental update, it will happen. Tesla's not stupid.

jim.bartel | 29 septembre 2016

Jeff, sorry for the delay.

Here is a link to the FooBar2000 wiki that covers automatic filling values:

http://wiki.hydrogenaud.io/index.php?title=Foobar2000:Properties/Automat...

I load an entire music folder into FooBar2K, select all the files, right click and select "Properties", then "Tools" and "Automatically Fill Values". Set the Source as "File Names" (my file names are in '01. track' format already) and the Pattern set to "%title%". Press OK and grab some coffee.

Hope that helps

lonwa | 29 septembre 2016

Thanks Jim!

mathwhiz | 29 septembre 2016

Yeah, the USB music player in v8 had annoying probems... But, is no one pleased that Tesla finally pulls album art from the music file? I know I am. :-))

mathwhiz | 29 septembre 2016

oops, HAS...

sentabo | 29 septembre 2016

@mathwhiz - Yes, this is a definite positive (the only one for USB?). I have the album art in all my files, and in 7.0 maybe 50% would show up accurately. No they are all there; quite pleased about that! Hey, it's the little things sometimes.

JamesAKahle | 29 septembre 2016

I was first very pleased with the operation of the media Player with USB input. Now I found some serious problems.
Like: Media Tag Info and Album art (FINALLY!!)
Like: Bluetooth from phone is now at very good quality level
Like: New layout and streaming functions
Problem: Songs not in track order in folders view (THIS FORUM)
Problem: USB is reloaded every time car is started. (this did not happen in old version). I have two 120G USB drives loaded mostly with FLAC. First one has around 4K songs which loads in 1 minute. Takes a while for the music to start when I get in the car.
Problem: USB load time is long. My second USB (115G) has about 14K songs and takes about 15min to load. This has made playing music from my music collection impossible. This is about my drive time to work so I can never get to my music. On the old version it would only reload after some sort of change. They NEED to get music player from reloading (or keeping the track information) so it does not reload. My music collection is useless until this gets fixed
HOPE THEY SEE THIS AS A DEFECT.
Do they monitor the forum or do we need to contact them directly about these problems?

trixiew | 29 septembre 2016

@jim.bartel I love Porcupine Tree

JamesAKahle | 29 septembre 2016

One additional comment: two hard to scroll through a large list. Need a way to skip to a starting letter like many other media players.

murraypetera | 29 septembre 2016

I love the new meta data art work etc.
Missing - apple lossless- all they need to do is add the open source lib. Come on please.
Broke - totally botched the USB sorting, finding, etc. now a hazard to try and find an album or artist while driving.

murraypetera | 29 septembre 2016

I love the new meta data art work etc.
Missing - apple lossless- all they need to do is add the open source lib. Come on please.
Broke - totally botched the USB sorting, finding, etc. now a hazard to try and find an album or artist while driving.

Pages