Forums

New Zealand joins Tesla family

New Zealand joins Tesla family

As of November 21st (already that in NZ, international dateline) Tesla is rolling out officially to New Zealand, according to the New Zealand Herald of Auckland. For the 'Driven' section, the article uses a pre-facelift S. Google Tesla begins selling cars in NZ or just go to website nzheralDOTcoDOTnz and go to Driven section

Watt fun | 20 novembre 2016

Starting at $NZ 109,000 which is slightly better than it might sound to outsiders because in New Zealand the price you are quoted is the price you pay, period. NZ has this wonderful law that states you must show the final all-in all taxes and fees price ONLY for everything from new cars to the menus in a restaurant or in any form of advertising.

Bighorn | 20 novembre 2016

Plus the NZ$ is worth 70 US cents.

Watt fun | 20 novembre 2016

Which means that the price taxes-in is about $76,300 US, but that is no help if you are buying it in NewZealand with New Zealand dollars. Since the GST rate in New Zealand is 15%, it means that the equivalent starter price without taxes is about $66,000 US, which is comparable when you factor in shipping.

ercolano | 20 novembre 2016

The article also mentioned super chargers between the two major cities in the North Island (Wellington and Auckland)
which frankly is not only surprising but exciting.I had visions of having to call into a camping ground looking for power when doing a long trip!

SCCRENDO | 21 novembre 2016

@johndoe. Are you getting one?

johndoeeyed | 21 novembre 2016

I put my deposit on an X on Saturday with delivery expected in March.

@johndoe. Congrats. Welcome to the Tesla family.

dborn @nsw.au | 21 novembre 2016

And the cars are a lot cheaper in New Zealand than in Australia due our ridiculous "luxury car tax". That adds about 30 -40 grand to the price of the car!!!

Kudos to New Zealand for being more eco-friendly than Australia. Perhaps you guys need to lobby your representatives. Of course it helps if you guys believed in climate change.

georgehawley.fl.us | 21 novembre 2016

5, 6, or 7 Bernie?

johndoeeyed | 22 novembre 2016

New Zealand is not more eco-friendly than Australia.
I have posted the details numerous times on this forum, including directly addressed to SCCRENDO.

SCCRENDO | 22 novembre 2016

Will go back and look. Dont recall

Ross1 | 22 novembre 2016

@Wattfun: Are you a kiwi??

Watt fun | 22 novembre 2016

No, not a Kiwi, but three of my best friends ever are, and I have been there to Aotearoa for long visits. I keep the Herald and Stuff in my daily news feed. just like I keep ABC of Australia and BBC etc and responsible news sources for a few other countries. Friends aside, NZ is just one of my fav places in the world to visit.

Silver2K | 22 novembre 2016

does this mean @johndoeeyed is going to have the ability to view private threads also?

son of a...

start bleaching the forum!!

SCCRENDO | 22 novembre 2016

@silver. I think as a reservation holder he can already and probably now has the ability to flag you

grega | 22 novembre 2016

Good to see Tesla in NZ. NZ is such a renewable energy country, but not much strategy for cutting emissions from cars. There are some long distances between towns when travelling, so the charging system is important, will be good to see the superchargers go out. I expect they'll follow Australia and Europe with the Mennekes plug?

For the kiwis - why does charge.net offer CCS 1 (US) and Chademo, while the NZ Transit Authority recommends CCS 2 (Europe) and Chademo?

Silver2K | 22 novembre 2016

@scc, this is why it's important to start bleaching the forum!

johndoeeyed | 23 novembre 2016

@SilverP85plus
You are one of the most disgusting trolls on this forum.
You have just demonstrated it again.

Silver2K | 23 novembre 2016

You're such a sad human being.

I'm curious, is the X you ordered at the same level of the lawsuit you filed against Mathew98 and I? or did you actually order an X and you were trying to bully us back then?

The tangled web we weave.

johndoeeyed | 23 novembre 2016

@SilverP85plus
If you are going to troll then at least do a better job of it. I did not file a lawsuit because Tesla did not give me your personal contact details. There was no bullying on my part. You both committed legal defamation and therefore were open to legal proceedings. If you would like to provide me with your personal details then I would still like to proceed with a lawsuit against you. You deliberately defamed me knowing that you were doing so. You can email me at bob.naughtin@gmail.com.
Yes, I have a Model X on order due for delivery in March 2017. I also have 2 Model 3 on order.

Silver2K | 23 novembre 2016

You're so sexy when you're upset :)

johndoeeyed | 24 novembre 2016

@SilverP85plus
I have not received your email providing your real name and contact details.

Silver2K | 24 novembre 2016

hold your breath and I'll get it to you as soon as I can, poopsie :)

SCCRENDO | 24 novembre 2016

Guys take your petty squabble offline. Let's learn more about environmental strategies in Australia and New Zealand.

@SCCRENDO
It is not a petty squabble from my side.
I stand up to trolls.
I do not give them a free pass.

@johndoe. Your choice. But in the interim educate us all about New Zealand's environmental policies and the issues you face.

@SCCRENDO
I have already done so several times on this forum

Silver2K | 24 novembre 2016

squabble? I was joking with you @scc and poopsie got upset :)

@johndoe. Not sure why you are unwilling to discuss New Zealand but interestingly it seems to be ranked higher than Australia and far higher than the US
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Environmental_Performance_Index

Bighorn | 24 novembre 2016

I used to live in New Zealand and it was very ecologically minded. End of discussion.

grega | 25 novembre 2016

New Zealand has always had a lot of thermal and hydro power. They also have a beautiful country, mountainous and very green, and lots of farming. They've been anti-nuclear forever too.

A lot of there situation is an accident of geography but they also have a good small-country attitude to using good ideas they see in other countries. They changed their political systems a few years back so that the popular vote determines their electoral results even if the electorates themselves would have created a different balance, and I believe they got rid of their upper house to just have a single layer of parliament, but I'm not sure.

They decided recently to close their last major coal generator - it was a borderline decision afaik. Their major greenhouse emissions are from livestock and vehicles. They don't encourage EVs though they're growing, and the main private charging network offers Chademo+CCS1 charging. Strangely (?) though the NZ transit authority is now pushing for a standard charging setup of Chademo plus CCS2 (with slow Mennekes fallback).

That's my NZ summary. For correction by those who know more.

johndoeeyed | 25 novembre 2016

@SCCRENDO
I am not unwilling, but I have done it several times on this forum already.

@Bighorn
No it is not.

Bighorn | 25 novembre 2016

Over 80% of NZ electricity generated from renewables. Australia isn't close.

http://www.mbie.govt.nz/info-services/sectors-industries/energy/energy-d...

Mic drop.

Silver2K | 25 novembre 2016

I have posted many time about this in the past....... :)

SCCRENDO | 25 novembre 2016

Thanks for the info guys. The United States should be the world leader in this and we are not. We seem to fare pretty badly. This actually shows one of the weaknesses of a strong democracy. The public is either ill-informed or selfish and make poor decisions in choosing our leaders and in our support of public policies. I always say that democracy is people's right to make stupid decisions. And yet I still believe in the system.

@SCC

The switch to fully renewable is a tough one for the USA, because oil and coal is a big part of our economy. I would love to see the US lead, but there is lot's to be done, especially when it comes to local laws regarding the transition.

Silver. My point exactly. But that is the weakness of democracy. The voting public does not vote for what is right

@SilverP85plus
New Zealand generated more electricity from renewables before Climate Change was an issue. We then built fossil fuel plants and our % of renewables dropped. Gas and coal plants are now being closed purely for economic reasons. There are no regulations to close them, it is purely a money issue. You need to pick up your mic and bother to understand a subject before making such a useless post.

Hey lover boy, you responded to the wrong person :)

Bluesday Afternoon | 25 novembre 2016

I'm confused. Did Bighorn or Silver drop the mic?

More importantly, glad to have NZ formally join our little band of Tesla enthusiasts.

I dropped the mic because I've proven that New Zealand is very ecologically minded. Apparently silver also dropped the mic many times in the past.

In 2016, NZ produced over 80% renewable electricity--compare that with AUS or US, I dare you. I've already posted all the requisite evidence worthy of a mic drop several times on this forum already. I lived there for goodness sakes. Hard to believe someone would argue the point unless they were either a bully or troll, at least several times in the past.

Last time I dropped my Mic, @Bighorn picked it up and never got it back..... You have to keep an eye on that dude!

@johndoe. Why is New Zealand being given such a high rating?

@Simply Red
My mistake.
It was Bighorn who 'dropped the mic'.
Bighorn continues with his ignorant posts, as he has done on multiple topics in the past. I guess he didn't bother to read my previous post before repeating his ignorance.

@Bighorn
I have lived in New Zealand all my life. I closely follow New Zealand's environmental efforts. I know the facts and you do not. You are ignorant and do not have a clue about which you post.

Data trumps bluster.

@bighorn. I also prefer data to bluster.

Australia and The USA both generate less than 15% of their electricity from renewable sources. New Zealand is over 80% with a goal of 90% by 2025.

johndoeeyed | 26 novembre 2016

@Bighorn
Please bother to read, and more importantly understand, my posts.

SCCRENDO | 26 novembre 2016

@johndoe. Need to admit that I am also having trouble understanding you post. We have tried to find official numbers that cointradict what you say. Do you have some links supporting your statements?

Pages