Forums

Almost all Americans want climate change action

Almost all Americans want climate change action

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/maps-show-where-americans-car...

If this is true why are fossil fuel companies advisors in charge?

massimob30 | 29 mars 2017

This is the beauty of climate change, no matter what the weather is, it will always take the blame.

Nice sunny day ? Climate change !
Rain in areas known to me wet ? Climate change !
Dry conditions in a desert ? Climate change !

A quick rundown of the predictions made, then the Alarmists can tell me which ones happened...

- NYC underwater by 2015.
- Polar bears extinct.
- The oceans devoid of sea life.
- Washington DC never seeing snow again.
- Gas costing $9/gallon.
- Milk costing $13 a carton.

Mike83 | 29 mars 2017

I don't understand what some posters points are. Do they have ANY link to how many Americans want to fight Climate Disruption?

SCCRENDO | 30 mars 2017

@massimo. You and Remnant are as factually challenged as Mitch. The reality is that climate change can potentially cause all the above disruptions. And if you had some simple science knowledge and a partially open mind we could even explain it to you. I think you "Bible-thumpers" all suffer from another problem. You assume that every prediction made by scientists should carry a 100% probability or it would be wrong. However this is not so. A scientist would pretty much never give you a 100% or 0% probability. They deal in fact not biblical predictions

finman100 | 30 mars 2017

climate rapture?

MitchP85D | 30 mars 2017

Curry, Christy, Mann and Pielke give recent testimony before Congress. You can easily tell which side of the climate debate makes their points by slandering the other side!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3_sHu34imQ

You global warming worshippers proud of Michael Mann?

Mike83 | 30 mars 2017

Crazy deniers claim free speech should be allowed to mislead because of FREE SPEECH?

http://www.independent.co.uk/environment/climate-change-sceptic-mislead-...

Respond to deniers with simple facts and logic.

https://eos.org/editors-vox/responding-to-climate-change-deniers-with-si...

SamO | 31 mars 2017

Mann is a hero. Pilke and his ilke will go down as enemies iPod humanity.

SamO | 31 mars 2017

Of

Mike83 | 5 avril 2017

Fatigue and the relationship between climate disruption and antibiotics.

https://www.newscientist.com/article/mg23431203-300-public-fatigue-is-th...

massimob30 | 5 avril 2017

SCCRENDO - can potentially cause ? You are basing your scientific theory on "can potentially cause" ? I am not a Bible thumper either, I have not invoked any religion in my posts.

Exactly how accurate was the prediction that NYC would be underwater by 2015 ? Or that there would no more ice in the Arctic Circle by 2013 ? What is the percentage of accuracy were those ? The problem with extremes, is that YOUR side is using them, not mine. YOU are the one making cut and dry predictions.

Mike83 | 5 avril 2017

Predictions? The STRAW MAN arguments are so boring If someone actually believes this BS they are definitely not paying attention.

Mike83 | 5 avril 2017

A dimmer Sun several hundreds of million years ago and now with CO2 levels well over 400 ppm the future is quite disruptive

.http://www.stuff.co.nz/environment/climate-news/91200455/intensifying-su...

massimob30 | 6 avril 2017

Are you immortal Mike83 ? You can't even get the weather next week correct, but suggest to know what will happen in several hundred million years from now ? Child please. I am getting tired of this nonsensical horse$hit.

finman100 | 6 avril 2017

nonsensical IS the correct term here. just need to view a mirror for the right perspective.

Mike83 | 6 avril 2017

Why do you to insult massimob30? You have no knowledge in several fields but prefer to act like your knowledgeable. You obviously don't know how to communicate and don't even read the links. You are a fake troll and put on IGNORE. Do your own OP and stay out of areas above your education.

MitchP85D | 6 avril 2017

Michael Mann is the Lysenko of America. SamO 60 buddy, you sure he is your hero?

SCCRENDO | 6 avril 2017

@massimo. Exactly. If you educated yourself you would realize that science usually works on probabilities because it does an honest evaluation of the facts. You are attempting to mock science because it doesnt give you the 100 percent probabilities that you are requiring. Good scientific studies work show that the probability of a finding is unlikely due to chance. Not sure who was predicting that NYC would be underwater by 2015 but please supply facts when trying to debate here.

Mike83 | 6 avril 2017

Betting on fossil fuels is a no win fool's water.

https://thinkprogress.org/renewables-cheapest-new-power-globally-74910c7...

Mike83 | 6 avril 2017

Autocorrect water is wager. That brings to mind clean water.

Mike83 | 6 avril 2017

http://www.newsweek.com/trump-climate-change-policies-poll-580049

Is it the Russia that supports deregulation of climate change policies?

MitchP85D | 6 avril 2017

Hey Mike83, the rest of the world wants to hogtie America so they can pollute all they want to without any consequences. The world wants America to screw themselves with all of the silly rules and regulations on energy production. CO2 is not the enemy. It is the sulfur oxide and fly-ash that pollutes the air. We clean that better than anybody!

Mike83 | 6 avril 2017

LOL your mind is closed to anything that you don't agree with.

RedShift | 6 avril 2017

@mitch

"Mike83, the rest of the world wants to hogtie America so they can pollute all they want to without any consequences."

Stop buying things made in China and their pollution will stop. Stop with the nonsensical schtick about how the rest of the world is out to screw with America. Do you ever think beyond what you are told on your propaganda channels?

RedShift | 6 avril 2017

@massimob

"Child please. I am getting tired of this nonsensical horse$hit."

Arrogant AND stupid. When majority scientific opinion goes against you, and there is a huge risk in not following that opinion, one wants to err on the side of safety, just in case. But that's common sense. Something entirely lacking in you.

Remnant | 7 avril 2017

@RedShift (April 6, 2017)

<< Do you ever think beyond what you are told on your propaganda channels? >>

Still some free speech left out there, RedJolt ... !

Learn this though: We'll listen beyond "propaganda" channels when your "liberal" channels stop being Ill-educated, Arrogant and Stupid.

Mike83 | 7 avril 2017

So it is very obvious that the new Federal Government is ignoring the demands of most Americans. Who do they realty work for?

http://www.livescience.com/58584-us-majority-believes-climate-change-is-...

Remnant | 7 avril 2017

@RedShift (April 6, 2017)

<< When majority scientific opinion goes against you, and there is a huge risk in not following that opinion, one wants to err on the side of safety, just in case. >>

For Goodness' sake, you're dreaming figments, RedJolt ...

There's no majority scientific opinion. For the most part, this climate-change "scientific" consensus has been just government-funded, treasury-milking gangs of parasites begging for their pound of flesh.

Try to do your own thinking, buster! If you can ...

Mike83 | 7 avril 2017

I see we have the fossil fuel trolls back IGNORING the topic.Sad intellectual capacity to even properly debate and of course stinking up the thread with their bias.

SamO | 7 avril 2017

Part one: 'Deception is our Product'.

Deceiving the public these days is a lucrative industry. Experienced PR practitioners now coerce you through astroturfing and other socially engineered forms of brainwashing to sacrifice your interests for those of their clients – especially those with the biggest war chest – the fossil fuel industry.

Indeed, it was the rise of citizens groups in the US opposing action on global warming that led Greenpeace to discover that these so-called grassroots uprisings were organised and funded by the fossil fuel lobby.

https://independentaustralia.net/environment/environment-display/decepti...

RedShift | 7 avril 2017

@SamO

When we want to deceive ourselves, the job of those selling fake news becomes so much easier.

We are actively tearing down the institutions of these United States. I fear for our future.

SamO | 7 avril 2017

Most of the institutions we laud are either corrupt or more harmful than good.

"No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main. If a clod be washed away by the sea, Europe is the less, as well as if a promontory were, as well as if a manor of thy friend's or of thine own were: any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bells tolls; it tolls for thee."

RedShift | 7 avril 2017

@SamO

That's all fine, but look here - to me at least, all of our woes are related to increased population. We start caring less about others when we worry so much about our own prospects. Exhibit A is the election of Trump.

SamO | 7 avril 2017

@Redshift,

Unfortunately, population number growth don't support the direct line between it and poor election choices.

A more direct line can be drawn between the corruption of the elites and their total lack of accountability in suffering consequences for their crimes. Obama said he would hold those in power to account for the war in Iraq and the financial collapse. Then did nothing. Nobody jailed.

They HRC, the most "insider" unaccountable elite possible is the democratic nominee?

Sorry . . . Population growth isn't even in the top 10 causes of Trump.

RedShift | 7 avril 2017

SamO

Search your feelings...you know it to be true!

I am taking a more macro view. Suppose democrats had paid more attention to the white voters in the middle, (by doing some of the things you suggested) they'd have gotten votes, but the jobs would still be gone.
The jobs are gone for good. No one can bring them back. Why?

RedShift | 7 avril 2017

I guess what I am proposing can be thought of as a general 'catch all', I grant you that..

However, regarding the OP of this thread, my statement stands.

SamO | 7 avril 2017

The jobs are going and gone. Elites are blamed but structurally, the need for work is diminishing. The best things for world stability would be: free birth control for all, a carbon tax and basic income.

massimob30 | 7 avril 2017

I would like one of you pearl clutchers to tell me, who would invest or believe in someone/something that has been wrong nearly 100% of the time ?

What business model would be allowed to continue when you are THIS wrong about global warming ? Only in government can someone be THIS wrong and still be allowed funding.

finman100 | 7 avril 2017

You're wrong. deal with it or shut the F up. god, this is tiring.

RedShift - it's not just about white voters in the midwest, Democrats have been losing consistently across the nation in the last few elections. State legislatures, gubernatorial seats, they are a small minority when compared to Republicans.

The Democratic platform cannot continue to paint everyone who isn't a white male as victims, and not expect to pay a price at the ballot box. When you hear about white guilt, you are insulting a voting bloc that represents 2/3 of the total electorate. Even though not all of them vote Republican, you cannot assume it won't cause damage. Even in very blue states, Democrats took a hit in their state elections.

Finman - how am I wrong. I am definitely not going to shut the F up, such a tough guy to talk like that on an Internet forum. I agree, I am tired of hearing about the end of the world and continually coming up short. Don't short change me Finman, I want my apocalypse and I want it now.

Mike83 | 7 avril 2017

Unfortunately scientists were TOO CONSERVATIVE as climate disruption is much woorse as physical evidence confirms.
Indeed we have a problem, possibly it's self distruction due to factors too complex to discuss, ie. psychological among other factors.
To think our atmosphere is unlimited is more than foolhardy, it's dumb. The fossil fuel industry is too stupid to realize they share the environment.

http://www.ucsusa.org/global_warming

SamO | 7 avril 2017

The people's best bet is a carbon tax exchange and rebate. Republicans came up with the idea. Maybe with Bannon and Priebus gone, Cohn and Tillerson can exert some grown-up influence. Maybe.

RedShift | 7 avril 2017

@massimob

"I would like one of you pearl clutchers to tell me, who would invest or believe in "

You lost me at 'Pearl Clutchers'. :-)

I'm sorry to have been harsh on you in my previous posts. I do request you do not ignore majority scientific opinion, and more importantly, the risk associated with ignoring that opinion. It's up to yo, of course.

RedShift | 7 avril 2017

@massimob

"The Democratic platform cannot continue to paint everyone who isn't a white male as victims, and not expect to pay a price at the ballot box. When you hear about white guilt, you are insulting a voting bloc that represents 2/3 of the total electorate. Even though not all of them vote Republican, you cannot assume it won't cause damage. Even in very blue states, Democrats took a hit in their state elections."

I agree. I'm just saying the problems of those white voters aren't easily solvable, nor quickly.

They don't want to admit it obviously, but they are just asking to be bailed out. You can spin it in whatever fashion, but at the core, that's what it essentially is.

Remnant | 7 avril 2017

@RedShift (April 7, 2017)

<< That's all fine, but look here - to me at least, all of our woes are related to increased population. >>

Apparently, by you, we should welcome a Big War, unless we manage to pare off the excess.

So, what percent of the population do you think we should ship one way to Mars or, say, hibernate for 1B years (naturally, after we deduct the volunteers, such as yourself and Elon)?

Mike83 | 7 avril 2017
Mike83 | 7 avril 2017

Carbon Tax may be the next step which was mentioned earlier. There are smart Republicans who can't be bought by paper money.

http://www.theverge.com/2017/4/7/15206346/conservative-republicans-grass...

Mike83 | 8 avril 2017

China to take $6 trillion and millions of jobs from the Red States but not from California and other blue States.

https://www.good.is/articles/trump-xi-china-climate-energy

Tesla-David | 8 avril 2017

Thanks @Mike83, great article showing that China is committed to lead on AGW/Climate Disruption action, while the U.S. under Drumpf is going backwards. We should be fully invested and promoting renewable energy instead of the huge backward step to 20th Century outdated fossil fuel energy sources. At least the West coast states, led by CA is showing the rest of the U.S. how to lead on this issue.

Pages