Forums

Enhanced AP HW2 and up Q&A/Discussion. Firmware 2018.39.7 (V9) & Notes

Enhanced AP HW2 and up Q&A/Discussion. Firmware 2018.39.7 (V9) & Notes

**** I removed the old release notes. If anyone wants full release notes please look at the photos in the link below.****

update: 6/10/2017 (notes)

Linux Kernel upgraded from the version 2.6.36 to version 4.4.35. (17.24.30)

Here are photos of the release notes for 8.1. Thanks to Alap Desai for latest photos of (17.22.46)
https://1drv.ms/f/s!AihnWpuO55swh7I2DPRMNhfK7nEmTg

*If you have any feedback, please report it to the following email address:
autopilotfeedback@tesla.com*

If you have any questions about AP HW2, please post them here so we can keep everything in one thread. Whether it's a delivery question or when the software will be released question, please post here.

We have too many threads being created about this subject and it would be too difficult for one to research and find the answers they are looking for.
Thank you!

Latest firmware release: 2018.39.7 (V9)

Current confirmed working list on AP HW2/HW2.5

1. Turn headlights on and off auto
2. Speed Assist (Cruise control)
3. Parking assist
4. Traffic-aware cruise control
5. Forward collision warning
6. Low-Speed Autosteer no longer restricted to 35mph and can go 5 mph faster than detected speed. Autosteer on local roads maximum speed is 45 mph if speed is not detected (firmware 17.17.4)
7. Autosteer on interstate highways or divided highways (90 mph) (firmware 17.17.4)
8. Side Collision warning (works between 30mph - 85mph)(firmware 17.17.4)
9. Autopark (parallel) you must go slower than 15mph for the P to show up
10. Summon (Beta)
11. Auto lane change
12. Lane departure warning
13. Headrest adjustment
14. Auto emergency braking @90mph or less (firmware 17.24.xx)
15. Auto high beam dimming for all markets (in progress)
16. Adaptive headlights (They are progressive in nature depending on how far you turn the steering wheel - so you get one, two or three of the LEDs to light (on one side) depending on how much you turn. They are also a soft on/off in that they don't just flick on to full brightness, but slowly come up to full brightness - perhaps taking 1 second. Presumably the faster you are driving, the less steering angle is required to turn on these LEDs. The main 6 headlight LEDs do not change during this time.) (thanks TT, BigD0g and Gabe.ritter)
17. Auto wipers
18. Perpendicular parking added. 10mph or less until the P appears, then use same function as parallel. (17.22.46)
19. added feature to all cold weather package vehicles (heated steering wheel will auto-activate when getting back into the car if activated prior to exiting vehicle)
20. Blind spot detection added (v9)
21. Dashcam capability added ( [HW 2.5 and up] [V9] )

Current confirmed non-working list on AP HW2 and up

1. Auto transition to another freeway
2. Auto freeway exit
3. Speed limit sign recognition

----------------------------------------------

TeslaTap.com | 16 juin 2017

@Solarfan - I'm still on 17.17.17. 50K songs is a lot! Yep, would be great if Tesla told us what the limits were, but I guess they are changing as new features are added (consuming more memory) leaving less for index storage.

@miller - inconel explained it - no rain sensor. Long ago (December) I theorized it may never work, as the front camera focus is many feet in front of the windshield, while the hardware rain sensor is focused on about 1/4" - the front surface of the windshield. Soon afterwards Elon tweeted it would work. Perhaps they look for rain that is in focus, but it is clear it's uncharted territory and may require some very clever programming to work as well as the original rain sensor. Using a camera that is required for other purposes can reduce costs, if it can be made to work for rain sensing. Obviously, it is far more complex than Tesla expected.

dknisely | 16 juin 2017

I was the original tweeter that Elon mocked when I expressed concern about the auto-wipers, and I just gave him grief again yesterday. The original complaint was because auto-wipers actually disappeared off the Tesla website as a feature. Not sure if it has been restored. That led me to believe (in February) that they had determined it to be in jeopardy. I also suspect they are trying to sneak things off the feature list because of accounting pressure on revenue recognition. As long as promised features dangle, they can't take credit for a good bit of the car in GAAP accounting.

Technically, I also have concerns about training the raindrop neural net with a fixed-focus hyperlocal camera mounted centimeters from the glass. Perhaps our camera image capture interception folks can get some rainy weather images? Seems like all they will see is a bit of distortion and have to look at the optical flow in a complex way to detect rain, and even then it probably won't give an accurate quantitative estimate to control the wiper speed. Not simple at all.

Dropping the rain sensor seems like kind of a dumb cost saving idea given that they hadn't actually implemented any of this in advance!

@dknisely - Thanks! I've been on projects where the pressure to reduce costs before you're 100% sure you can actually accomplish something. Often it works out in the end, and it becomes a great motivator to accomplish something never done before. It sometimes backfires and either never works or consumes a huge amount of engineering that costs far more than the parts savings. Let's hope it's not in the latter categories. If they do solve rain sensing, it would make for a great engineering tale, but likely one we'll never hear about.

BigD0g | 16 juin 2017

I wonder how much that little sensor can possibly cost? Seems like they are cutting off their nose in spite of their face on some of these cost decisions.

The "adaptive" headlights spring to mind on this one as well.

Lola | 16 juin 2017

@BigD0g So far 4 cars on teslafi, 1 car on ev-fw listed...

BigD0g | 16 juin 2017

@Helmuth thanks, yah, appears to be another test release. We'll see. ev-fw still just tracking one car from a service center install.

tommyalexandersb | 16 juin 2017

@mark I'm on the latest update as of my service center visit yesterday. I was talking about perpendicular parking, not parallel parking, and the "P"just started to show up this morning :)

dknisely | 16 juin 2017

@BigD0g -- I thought that I recalled the rain sensor to be rather expensive ($20 is what I remembered), but falling dramatically as it becomes mandated and widely standard. I find prices for a single device in the $30-40 neighborhood, so $15-20 in volumes (and probably for higher quality devices) seems credible. That's actually a lot of money, so I can see why Tesla dropped it. Perhaps patents play a big role in keeping prices up, but it also looks like they are pretty sophisticated.

BigD0g | 16 juin 2017

@DK LOL! Good thing they took back that SC for life of the owner! Elon needs a new pair of shoes for Amber!

dknisely | 16 juin 2017

Well, @BigD0g, they probably screwed themselves over with delayed revenue recognition as long as they can't deliver it. OTOH, they are sitting on the cash in the mean time, and nobody really cares about Tesla's GAAP performance since they are an article of faith stock.

jfarlow12 | 16 juin 2017

Just took went out for a drive with 17.22.46 and it is much improved as far as the lane adjustments and smoothness. Lane changing is more abrupt than before, but it feels "confident". I had a loaner MX AP1 and the feeling is very similar on the highway. Not so jerky. Still doesn't see cars in adjacent lanes, nor does it distinguish semi's or motorcycles. Overall I'd say its a big improvement.

Leli001 | 16 juin 2017

Per Tesla's recent promotional e-mail, apparently, we are already on EAP:

Autopilot Updates
We just released the latest version of Autopilot. You can now experience Enhanced Autopilot features including Traffic-Aware Cruise Control, Autosteer, Auto Lane Change, Parallel + Perpendicular Autopark, and Summon. Automatic Emergency Braking, Forward + Side Collision Warning, and more advanced safety features are also active and standard.

All Tesla vehicles have the hardware needed for full self-driving capability at a safety level substantially greater than that of a human driver. And Tesla vehicles continue to improve with over-the-air software updates, introducing new features and improving existing functionality to make your vehicle safer and more capable over time.

lilbean | 16 juin 2017

This email confused me because previously, Tesla said that all vehicles will not have full self driving and only the cars with new hardware would have it.

BigD0g | 16 juin 2017

@leli001 wow

croman | 16 juin 2017

Tesla is the worst Company at communicating. Are they all 5 year olds? Do they have engineers do everything there?? Hire a god damn comminations major or English lit. They need a job.

revrev4ruach | 16 juin 2017

I commiserate with your recriminations of comminations.

kwen197 | 16 juin 2017

Today at SC received new release. 17.24.28

Includes minor bug fixes; Autopark Perpendicular and Auto Display Brightness. Have not tested yet.

S90D AP-2

kwen197 | 16 juin 2017

Leli001; This is a end of the quarter sales pitch to sell more cars. They are saying that these features are now available on new Model S and Model X.

GAPPELL | 16 juin 2017

Wow, I keep delaying my purchase as changes at Tesla are occurring rapidly. Having had Lexus vehicles it seems as I have to sacrifice some basic features like the rain sensing. The disappearance of the 90D, potential insurance problems and slow software updates cause me to continue to pause. However, continuing to delay opens the door for more surprises. I am also considering financing a portion of my purchase but rates may change soon.

I am in the midst of a huge electrical storm in Florida and it makes me wonder what happens with power surges while you are charging a Tesla? Or, a lightning strike??

revrev4ruach | 16 juin 2017

nothing.

Bill_75D | 16 juin 2017

During big lightning storms I unplug my expensive stereo system and my Tesla. Everything else can fry, for all I care.

@GAPPELL - Perhaps Tesla is not right for you. Lexus makes fine vehicles, and the car you drive off the lot will be the same years from now. Tesla on the other hand keeps getting better with new software and features. Other manufacturers who prefer you buy a new car every year to get the latest features.

Not sure why the eliminate of a Tesla sub-model is much of a concern. All automakers constantly change the feature mix, engine types and discontinue models - usually without any advance notice.

Not sure what insurance problems you have. If you have a poor driving record, insurance will be expensive for any car. Sounds like rates are going up across the board (all cars, not just Tesla) and I'd expect Tesla rates to actually go down in the future as Autopilot continues to statistically reduce accidents. It also helps that Tesla makes the safest cars on the road.

As for lightning striking your car - it likely has the same effect as an ICE car on electronics, but far less likely to blow up from all that gasoline in an ICE car. Never heard of a problem yet with a Tesla and lightning, but that doesn't mean it's impervious. Perhaps some other Florida owners can step in on this one.

gloriall | 16 juin 2017

I would invilte Elon and the wiper engineers to East Tennessee for a real rainstorm. Twice in the last month the rain has been so hard/wipers so bad I have had to pull off the road becaus I could not see.

gloriall | 16 juin 2017

I would invilte Elon and the wiper engineers to East Tennessee for a real rainstorm. Twice in the last month the rain has been so hard/wipers so bad I have had to pull off the road becaus I could not see.

gloriall | 16 juin 2017

Oops! How do I delete the second one?

@gloriall - No way to delete double posts :( It happens to the best of us!

Lola | 16 juin 2017

Does a 218 MB download indicates that our MX started to download the update?
But why did it stop and never continued? WiFi works perfectly!!!
Restart didn't help...

rod | 16 juin 2017

Got my 17.24.28 update today. Tesla Ranger came to my car while parked at my office to fix a minor problem and installed the update for me :).

rod | 16 juin 2017

Sorry, should have added that I haven't had a chance to test it yet. Had to wait until I drove home to actually initiate the update.

speyerj | 16 juin 2017

Hmm. Brand new 100D with about 80 miles on the odometer. AP2 seems functional and works fine on the freeway but auto lane change doesn't work at all. I've enabled it in the control panel (next to Autosteer) but I turn on the turn signal (just like I used to with my old P90D) and it doesn't do anything, even on a wide open road.

Thoughts? Does it need more time to calibrate and learn? Is it disabled for some reason?

croman | 17 juin 2017

218mb sounds like data upload of pictures and video clips for fsd object recognition, not an update.

BruceR61 | 17 juin 2017

Maybe a dumb question, but where are people looking to see that they are downloading data or the size of the data download?

As for the wipers, maybe I'm jaded in SoCal, and I have auto-wipers in my ICE cars and frankly it is not a huge deal to actually move my hands to the stalk and turn on the wiper. Put another way, on occasion in my ICE, when it is all nice and clean and shiny, the car in front of me will blast me with their window washer overspray causing my wipers to screw up the nice clean windshield!

BruceR61 | 17 juin 2017

Maybe a dumb question, but where are people looking to see that they are downloading data or the size of the data download?

As for the wipers, maybe I'm jaded in SoCal, and I have auto-wipers in my ICE cars and frankly it is not a huge deal to actually move my hands to the stalk and turn on the wiper. Put another way, on occasion in my ICE, when it is all nice and clean and shiny, the car in front of me will blast me with their window washer overspray causing my wipers to screw up the nice clean windshield!

BruceR61 | 17 juin 2017

BruceR61 | 17 juin 2017

BruceR61 | 17 juin 2017

Wow, remind me not to click too hard on Save on my laptop!

Solarfan | 17 juin 2017

@BruceR61, +1

"Maybe a dumb question, but where are people looking to see that they are downloading data or the size of the data download?"

Thanks, I have the same question.

Dreamship | 17 juin 2017

@BruceR61 - Go to your router's home page. For most people, that usually means entering the IP address 192.168.1.1 in your browser's address bar. I use AT&T, and my router is at 192.168.1.254. From there, there will usually be a link where you can see traffic to each device connected to your home network. You may need to figure out your car's IP address or MAC address. A Tesla (my Tesla at least) doesn't register the name of the car with the network. I forget where it is, but there's a way to find out your car's MAC address in one of the settings screens in the car.

Dreamship | 17 juin 2017

And for the record, when I know a new update is coming, I tend to check my router obsessively. The only cure I've found is to fire up some jazz on the record player, hit the wine bottle, and chase it with a couple of Ambien. I loathe jazz to the point that hearing it makes me unable to think about anything besides finding a way to wipe it from the face of the earth.

abuaba | 17 juin 2017

I have a Model X P90D which is about 2 months old now. I have noticed that it seems not to notice cars when approaching stationery traffic at a traffic light with TACC is engaged and I have to jump in and hit the brakes. Has anyone else experienced this?

TeslaTap.com | 17 juin 2017

@speyerj - "auto lane change doesn't work at all"

Likely the most common error (assuming auto lane change is enabled) is not fully engaging the turn signal. If you flick it up, you get 3 automatic blinkers and the blinkers stop. Auto lane change ignores this. You must fully engage the blinker. Once the lane change is complete, you need to turn off the blinkers.

Another thing that can confuse auto-lane change is to turn off blinkers while the lane change is occurring - it will revert back to the original lane. Actually a logical design, but can seem like it's not working right if you're use to canceling the blinker before the lane change is complete.

rmj | 17 juin 2017

yes........ adaptive headlights are working, they just simply suck

dknisely | 17 juin 2017

I also found that you can invoke auto-land change by holding the stalk in the intermediate position, short of clicking into place, and then release it after you are mostly in the new lane safely. I do a mix of switching it on and holding to save me from the onerous task of burning a few more micro-Joules of energy turning the blinker off. :P

Hopefully they will return to the AP1-type method where the blinker turns off automatically after the lane change.

I still don't rely on auto-lane change much since it isn't safely watching for obstacles in other lanes, so I still have to do most of the work looking around in all directions first. I only use it to keep AP engaged when the other lane is totally clear.

TaoJones | 17 juin 2017

Just updated to *24.28. No appreciable difference yet in drivability from the last update, apart from auto lane change finally being back.

AP2 remains *significantly* inferior to AP1 for both Autosteer and TACC use cases.

After a long road trip with the new AP2 car, have decided to draft an email to see if I can get my AP1 car back as a CPO with the warranty (and at what net financial hit).

Long shot, obviously, but now that Tesla has higher mileage AP1 cars in the $40s (they told me what they'd sell mine for, and whoever got it presumably by now got a hell of a deal), it's increasingly difficult to justify an inferior AP2 car at near triple the rapidly-depreciating price.

Caveat emptor, folks, unless of course you don't drive much or outside a 25-mile radius, in which case... never mind.

Still long TSLA, but I like the stock and the AP1 cars a lot more than the AP2 cars. One wonders whether it will be GM or Tesla who first enables traffic light/stop sign reaction (MobilEye hardware is already capable - the limiting factors are software and, some would have you believe, regulatory).

croman | 17 juin 2017

The average update size is around 800mb. Some are 1.2gb. Smallest has been 600mb that I've seen since December.

speyerj | 17 juin 2017

Turns out that turning auto lane change off and then on again fixed the issue.

@Tesla_Tap You'll note that I said "but I turn on the turn signal (just like I used to with my old P90D) and it doesn't do anything, even on a wide open road." I could maybe have been clearer, but what I meant was that I've been successfully using auto lane change on a P90D for a year...so yeah, I know how to actuate the turn signal to make it change lanes...that wasn't the issue. Now why I had to turn off auto lane change and then back on...go figure.

As @dknisely pointed out, you can also auto lane change by holding the turn signal in the half actuated region as well and then releasing after the turn.

1jetskier7 | 18 juin 2017

So much for "SILKY" this weekend. Another self promoted deadline broken.

kwen197 | 18 juin 2017

SC informed me that some software updates automatically turn off Auto Lane Change and you have to reset it to ON.

SC installed 8.1. 17.22.46 on 6/16/2017. It may not be silky but it is a huge improvement.

SC also installed 8.1.17. 24.28 on 6/16/2017, which has "Auto Park Perpendicular, Auto Display Brightness and bug fixes.

TeslaTap.com | 18 juin 2017

@speyerj - good info. Odd that a on/off cycle was required to fix it. Glad you figured it out.

@rmj - I'm unconvinced adaptive headlights are working (17.17.17). I think you're seeing cornering lights which are intended for very low speeds with the blinker on - a different feature.

@TaoJones - I suspect automakers are rightfully scared of what happens when red-light/stop sign detection fails. Even if 99.99% accurate, there are going to be some very bad accidents. For every 100,000 cars, assume 6 stops per day per car, or 600,000 events, it means 60 cars are going to miss the red light/stop sign. Now perhaps that is better than humans (I have no idea), but I doubt users will be accepting of this. Of course the automaker liability goes way up with this feature if it screws up.

croman | 18 juin 2017

Tesla is never scared to use is for beta testing. They try to shift the liability for use to us anyways. Normal auto makers are way more cautious but also fail to innovate at a fast pace.

Pages