Forums

Enhanced AP HW2 and up Q&A/Discussion. Firmware 2018.39.7 (V9) & Notes

Enhanced AP HW2 and up Q&A/Discussion. Firmware 2018.39.7 (V9) & Notes

**** I removed the old release notes. If anyone wants full release notes please look at the photos in the link below.****

update: 6/10/2017 (notes)

Linux Kernel upgraded from the version 2.6.36 to version 4.4.35. (17.24.30)

Here are photos of the release notes for 8.1. Thanks to Alap Desai for latest photos of (17.22.46)
https://1drv.ms/f/s!AihnWpuO55swh7I2DPRMNhfK7nEmTg

*If you have any feedback, please report it to the following email address:
autopilotfeedback@tesla.com*

If you have any questions about AP HW2, please post them here so we can keep everything in one thread. Whether it's a delivery question or when the software will be released question, please post here.

We have too many threads being created about this subject and it would be too difficult for one to research and find the answers they are looking for.
Thank you!

Latest firmware release: 2018.39.7 (V9)

Current confirmed working list on AP HW2/HW2.5

1. Turn headlights on and off auto
2. Speed Assist (Cruise control)
3. Parking assist
4. Traffic-aware cruise control
5. Forward collision warning
6. Low-Speed Autosteer no longer restricted to 35mph and can go 5 mph faster than detected speed. Autosteer on local roads maximum speed is 45 mph if speed is not detected (firmware 17.17.4)
7. Autosteer on interstate highways or divided highways (90 mph) (firmware 17.17.4)
8. Side Collision warning (works between 30mph - 85mph)(firmware 17.17.4)
9. Autopark (parallel) you must go slower than 15mph for the P to show up
10. Summon (Beta)
11. Auto lane change
12. Lane departure warning
13. Headrest adjustment
14. Auto emergency braking @90mph or less (firmware 17.24.xx)
15. Auto high beam dimming for all markets (in progress)
16. Adaptive headlights (They are progressive in nature depending on how far you turn the steering wheel - so you get one, two or three of the LEDs to light (on one side) depending on how much you turn. They are also a soft on/off in that they don't just flick on to full brightness, but slowly come up to full brightness - perhaps taking 1 second. Presumably the faster you are driving, the less steering angle is required to turn on these LEDs. The main 6 headlight LEDs do not change during this time.) (thanks TT, BigD0g and Gabe.ritter)
17. Auto wipers
18. Perpendicular parking added. 10mph or less until the P appears, then use same function as parallel. (17.22.46)
19. added feature to all cold weather package vehicles (heated steering wheel will auto-activate when getting back into the car if activated prior to exiting vehicle)
20. Blind spot detection added (v9)
21. Dashcam capability added ( [HW 2.5 and up] [V9] )

Current confirmed non-working list on AP HW2 and up

1. Auto transition to another freeway
2. Auto freeway exit
3. Speed limit sign recognition

----------------------------------------------

Bill_75D | 18 juin 2017

@TeslaTap - my car turns on the cornering lights without turn signal activation, and does NOT turn on the cornering lights when I switch Adaptive headlights off in settings. In my mind, that says the Adaptive lights ARE just cornering lights and nothing more. As another poster said, they work but they just suck.

BigD0g | 18 juin 2017

They'll do it in shadow mode for weeks / months first I bet. It's probably already being analyzed since the really early version of 8.1 was accidentally showing stop signs that electrek posted.

tommyalexandersb | 18 juin 2017

With the new update... with autopilot engaged, when I'm stopped at a red light with a car in front of me, autopilot takes way way longer to realize the car in front of me has started moving forward. This morning, the car in front of me was 50 yards away before my car started to drive again, so I've been pressing the accelerator to get the car moving again. Hope they fix this issue soon.

dknisely | 18 juin 2017

@tommyalexandersb -- I think you encountered "HOLD" mode. When you are stopped in traffic, under some circumstances (apparently including picking up an object close to the car by the ultrasonic sensors), the car will remain in AP, but blue letters HOLD will appear above the central display of the road and you are required to touch the accelerator lightly to proceed (and AP resumes from there).

This can easily happen if you nudge the car forward close to the car in front or if the car in front backs up a little. I've heard this is also a "feature" in AP1, but have never encountered it with AP1.

TeslaTap.com | 18 juin 2017

@Bill_75D - opps I may have gotten the operation of cornering lights somewhat wrong. The cornering lights are not adaptive headlights. Those with HW1 with refreshed cars have the true adaptive headlights. See this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjzzmWCXvcU.

I expect we'll get adaptive headlights someday, but please don't confuse it with cornering lights. Lots of posts on this already.

Bill_75D | 18 juin 2017

#16 on the confirmed working list at the top of this thread is Adaptive headlights (headlight movement with steering)

tommyalexandersb | 18 juin 2017

Nope, it wasn't in HOLD mode. That was my first thought, so I checked and it wasn't. I waited longer since no one was behind me, and the car finally started driving again. This is happening frequently now, so I've given up on waiting and I just press the accelerator as if it were in HOLD mode.

Bill_75D | 18 juin 2017

TeslaTap, that video show exactly what my car does. Did you see the part where Bjorn says the high beams don't move and it's quite disappointing? The 3 sequential LEDs only illuminate the cornering light area.

@Bill_75D - When in doubt - look in the manual! I was partly wrong, but I don't think the feature is fully active yet on HW2. Notice in the list above #16 is for AP1 cars only.

Ok interestingly Tesla seems to lump both the low-beam adaptive headlights and cornering lights into a single feature. The Adaptive Headlights on/off in controls affects both systems as you noted.

From the manual, pg 51:
Electric sensors measure driving speed,
steering angle and yaw (the rotation of the car
around the vertical axis) to determine the
optimum position of the headlights based on
current driving conditions. For example, to
improve visibility while driving on winding
roads at night, the AFS casts the beam in the
direction of the curve.

When low beam
headlights are turned on and when driving at
lower speeds, AFS improves lateral
illumination to increase the visibility of
pedestrians and curbs, and to improve
visibility when turning at a dark intersection,
into a driveway, or when making a u-turn.

I would understand the last sentence pertains to the cornering lights mounted in the fog light assembly, not the headlights. I'm not aware of anyone saying the low-beam headlight with 3 positions is active yet on HW2. It isn't for me on 17.17.17, but there are newer versions out in the field. Do you see there are two different systems and are both systems active for you? I'm not agreeing/disagreeing as to the quality, just tried to identify if anyone has seen both work on HW2 cars. They should be noticeably different based on the vehicle speed.

1jetskier7 | 18 juin 2017

@TeslaTap.com I appreciate your cheerleading, I'm a big fan as well. It's just that I tend to be more realistic in my opinions and facts when discussing current issues. There are not 16,000 cars running the newest update. In fact, the update has already been updated again before the OTA wide release was supposed to begin. Only new production vehicles, currently in service vehicles, and a few hundred HW2 cars, This is from Tesla Engineering, not some spreadsheet. As of now, the wide OTA release has been suspended until some bug fixes are addressed.

On another note. Your support of adaptive headlights is misguided compared to other current vehicles with real adaptive headlights. The main LED's on Tesla X and S "DO NOT" contain motors that move the actual headlights with the steering. A software update will not change that fact. They only have additional side led that illuminate with sharp left and right movements of the steering wheel. My AUDI does have self leveling and true adaptive headlights, My Tesla MS does not. There is no comparison.

Please be more helpful and truthful with your responses or you will continue to lose credibility.

Bill_75D | 18 juin 2017

#16 above is under the heading "Current confirmed working list on AP HW2"

@Bill - It is confusing they way it is listed. What I saw was:

AP1 and working in North American only(?))
16. Adaptive headlights (headlight movement with steering)

But I now see that top line was part of #15. I still have doubts the feature is active. It isn't on my car, but I don't have the very latest software. Has anyone else confirmed it is working (I'm not staying it is a great feature, but I think most are looking at the low-speed cornering lights and thinking that is all there is.

@1jetskier7 - Not sure why you're posting the same issue in multiple threads, but to answer it again here:

I've been wrong before :) It sounds like you have inside knowledge from engineers at Tesla on the rollout? I only was looking at the software tracker, that has owner volunteered information. More than 5 or 6 actual owners already have the 17.24.28 release, but I agree I don't know how many more than the 13 or so listed. Based on the tracker, there seems to be about a 400x multiplier when a full rollout is made, and people self-report. If you have actual Tesla numbers for specific release versions, I'd love to hear them.

I've never stated adaptive headlights have motors (actually my Lexus had motor controlled turning headlights, so I do know the difference). Tesla has stated they use 3 sets of LEDs and switch the different headlight LEDs to shift the beam. It seems so many owners of HW2 cars think the cornering lights (mounted in the fog light assembly) is all there is. The 3 position adaptive headlight hardware is available on HW2 car, but hasn't been active yet as far as I can tell. I do have the premium upgrades option which includes the adaptive headlight hardware.

I understand this is confusing to many, and this has been explained many times in prior threads, but a few don't understand that the cornering LEDs in the fog lights are not the same as the headlights with 3 positions. As to how good the feature is, I've refrained from commenting until they are available on my car. It may be unfair to consider them better or worse than other manufactures until they are actually active.

That description is incorrect. They do not move with steering (they are not motorized). additional lights illuminate under certain conditions. From my experience with my 2017 MS with the premium upgrades package, this is only perceptible when turning into driveways with the steering wheel near full lock. Unfortunately, none of the additional lights engage on twisty mountain roads.

@1jetskier7 " Unfortunately, none of the additional lights engage on twisty mountain roads."
YES! That's what I've been saying. The feature is not active yet.

To break down a simplistic way it works (when made active), there are no motors. In a single headlight assembly there are three LEDs one pointed a bit to the left, one centered, and one to the right. In straight driving at night the center headlight LED is active. At higher speeds, when you turn the steering wheel enough to the left, the left headlight LED also illuminates. When you turn to the right, the right headlight LED illuminates. It's a clever system, as it eliminates the complex motor controls used in competitor's implementations. Which LEDs are turned on is controlled by software. I have no idea why it is taking so long to implement the software, considering it was implemented in later HW1 cars. At low speeds, instead of the headlight left/right, the cornering lights mounted in the fog light assemblies are used (which are far dimmer).

Solarfan | 18 juin 2017

@1jetskier7,

"This is from Tesla Engineering"

"other current vehicles with real adaptive headlights. The main LED's on Tesla X and S "DO NOT" contain motors that move the actual headlights with the steering."

Thank you for the information. It seems that you have found a method to communicate with knowledgeable Tesla Motors staff. Is it possible for you to share the contact method? The sales and service folks seem to just make things up.

As to real adaptive headlights, what you say is very disappointing. We replaced a 2017 Subaru Forester XT Touring that had excellent adaptive headlights (a motor to direct the lights in the direction of the turn). That system was superb, and I was told by Tesla sales while we were considering a Model S that those were on, but not yet implemented, on the Model S with the upgrade we selected, in ADDITION to the three-LED cornering lamps. We have both lots of twisty roads and lots of deer. We paid for the adaptive headlight Model S feature and need those adaptive lamps to help us avoid hitting deer. The LED lamps do not cut it.

@SilverP85plus - Shouldn't #16 be in the non-working list? Seems like it creates a lot of confusion with owners thinking the low-speed cornering lights mounted in the fog light assembly is all there is. That said, perhaps it has been activated in the very latest version. I've not heard of any release notes from Tesla stating it is active yet, so I'm fairly sure it is still not implemented. I'd love to be wrong on this :)

@Solarfan. You are correct, there are no known ways to get any useful information from Tesla staff. Mostly because they really don't have access to much real information, on purpose. Easier to control the outflow that way.

I have associates that work at the Palo Alto headquarters and the Fremont manufacturing plants. I also worked with a supplier at both locations. All I can really speak about are my opinions based on the discussions and observations I have receive from there. Again, just my opinions, no real inside information.

Saxman | 18 juin 2017

@Abuaba

It took me a little bit to figure out the logic of why I NEED to break in that situation.
Say I'm going 60 mph and have my TACC setting at 7. If the only car in front of me is stopped at a light beyond the 7 setting, your vehicle will have to come to a screeching halt and maybe not enough road left to avoid rear ending.

My experience is that in that situation always plan on braking.

BigD0g | 18 juin 2017

My car is going in on the 26th to replace the charge port, I'll ask them about adaptive headlights while I'm in.

Solarfan | 18 juin 2017

@TeslaTap.com,
"Seems like it creates a lot of confusion with owners thinking the low-speed cornering lights mounted in the fog light assembly is all there is. That said, perhaps it has been activated in the very latest version."

I saw a video, made in California, by the Norwegian Tesla expert in a Model X. He demonstrated the three fixed-angle "driveway" lights coming on sequentially while he was stopped and turned the steering wheel left or right.

Our Model S is at Version 8.1 (17.22.46). I could not duplicate his results with any combination of high, low, or auto when turning the steering wheel lock-to-lock. The fog lamps do work. Maybe the driveway lights work on the X and not on the S. (More likely, maybe I just don't know how to make them come on.)

It sounds like you were also led to believe that the Model S has true adaptive lighting in ADDITION to the three-LED driveway lamps, but true adaptive, with non-motor, brighter fixed-direction lamps, is not yet implemented. Do I get that correctly?

@1jetskier7,
Thanks. I understand.

campusden | 19 juin 2017

Is this happening to anyone else? With the latest update, every time that I put the vehicle in Park the charge PORT door opens. I have to close it from the charging screen before it will let me put it into reverse or drive or IT waits until I walk away and locks before the charge PORT will close if I am not plugged in charging.

drklain | 19 juin 2017

Solarfan -- the additional lights coming on (1, 2 then 3) as you turn the wheel (what is being described as cornering lights above) only work on a Model S with the high beams on and the car in Drive. This feature has been active since I took delivery last Spring so for at least 7 software versions...

Solarfan | 19 juin 2017

@drklain,

Thank you.
I tested in the garage, in Park. The video was stopped, and I assumed Park. Shows what assuming will get me. :-)

Boonedocks | 19 juin 2017

Being used to our dynamic headlights on our BMW AH7 the Tesla iteration is really terrible. Drove home late at night from Cherokee NC over the weekend (thank you 100D :) and being used to how well our BMW lit up the winding mountain roads, our Tesla didn't show even one sign of adaptive headlights. We even turned the feature off and on again and rebooted to make sure everything was "supposed" to work. Another advertising s-t-r-e-t-c-h

joliver328 | 19 juin 2017

Did anyone actually get the update (over the air) this weekend? Or was that a bunch of bull

Teslapalooza | 19 juin 2017

I was wondering the same thing. I did not get any update notification so far.

1jetskier7 | 19 juin 2017

Yes, the update started this weekend. They are updating 17.24.28 to 17.17.4 that's probably why you didn't notice. You are already at the latest working version.

malcolm.hall1932 | 19 juin 2017

Boonedocks: hang in there, you'll get plenty of chance to crow about your Tesla over the next couple of years.
All my Bimmers were good (6 series, 7 series), but just never kept up with technology once I'd bought them.

BigD0g | 19 juin 2017

@1jetskier7 no, only installs for new cars and service center tickets for maintenace, the release was not released widely, and from what I understand from other threads in other forums, it appears it's hit a snag with object detection perhaps, but thats completely non proven theory, just something i've read on TMC forums.

@malcolm.hall1932: Did your BMW perform exactly as advertised and have everything you paid for the day you drove them off the lot?

@BigDOg: You missed my joke. Except it actually looks to be true that they are rolling some vehicles back to 17.17.4 and 17.17.17 apparently 17.22.46 is really having issues and 17.24.28 wasn't much better.

BigD0g | 19 juin 2017

@Jet apologies for that!! Feel free to flag that post to oblivion, since we can't delete our own posts.

malcolm.hall1932 | 19 juin 2017

1jetskier: yes it did, but it never made me grin - ever!

croman | 19 juin 2017

I don't believe they can roll back a car.

TeslaTap.com | 19 juin 2017

Yep, never heard of a rollback. They have done a few very fast release turns, but that's quite rare.

@Solarfan - Yep, I think you understand it. From reading the manual, there are two sets of adaptive lights. The cornering lights, that are on all Teslas that are so equipped and in all HW2 cars and has always worked. These are for low speeds, and can be tested while stopped. The adaptive headlights (not the same LEDs as cornering lights) only work at some speed, but I have no idea what speed enables them. You can't test these while stopped. These adaptive headlights are not enabled as far as I can tell, and it seems no one else sees them either. A few owners are confusing adaptive headlights with the cornering lights, and the manual could be written better to better distinguish the two systems.

Bill_75D | 19 juin 2017

Please tell me where in the manual it refers to cornering lights. I searched for "cornering" in the PDF and got 2 results, both referring to tires. Nothing about lights. Can you cite a page for me please?

The Adaptive Front Lighting System (AFS)
automatically adjusts the beam of the
headlights to improve your driving view.
Electric sensors measure driving speed,
steering angle and yaw (the rotation of the car
around the vertical axis) to determine the
optimum position of the headlights based on
current driving conditions. For example, to
improve visibility while driving on winding
roads at night, the AFS casts the beam in the
direction of the curve. When low beam
headlights are turned on and when driving at
lower speeds, AFS improves lateral
illumination to increase the visibility of
pedestrians and curbs, and to improve
visibility when turning at a dark intersection,
into a driveway, or when making a u-turn.
The Adaptive Front Lighting System (AFS)
operates whenever headlights are on. If
Model S isn't moving, or is moving in reverse,
the adaptive headlights do not activate. This
prevents the lights from inadvertently blinding
other drivers. To turn the AFS off, touch
Controls > Settings > Vehicle > Adaptive
Headlights > OFF.

lateral illumination = turning lights

Per Tesla service, adaptive headlights are currently operational. The fact that nobody has ever reported seeing a difference when switched on or off speaks volumes.

Bill_75D | 19 juin 2017

+1 Jetskier

poloX | 19 juin 2017

it's very weird. I am still on 17.17.4 but there are some changes. The headrest used to not be able to save in the driver profile. it saves now. No updates at all. Also, summon used to work at the beginning of 17.17.4. Fairly well. Didn't work in the past week, not as well. And what is the next update? 17.17.17 or 17.24.28 or 17.22.46 or what? Why this time, the rumor is not at all consistent. And shouldn't it be this past weekend? No tweet either form Elon????

@polox You are perfectly correct to be confused. Welcome to the new normal.

tommyalexandersb | 20 juin 2017

I'm on 17.22.46 and after using it since Thursday, I can say there are some major issues with it. I still like it more then 17.17.17, but there's really no point for them to release it without fixing the bugs. The auto park is extremely slow and autopilot on surface streets is pretty bad. It's learning which is really cool, it brakes for turns more, but it's so spurrstic that it's not usable except for fleet training/learning which I enjoy doing, so I've been using it a lot. It is far more smooth on the freeway. I hope I get a bug fix when the release goes wide.

Silver2K | 20 juin 2017

1jetskier7 | June 19, 2017
@malcolm.hall1932: Did your BMW perform exactly as advertised and have everything you paid for the day you drove them off the lot?
-------------------------------------------

To be fair, Tesla did mention while buying the car many things would not be operational at purchase and there will be updates at certain times of the year, which they missed.

I am not condoning the update timing, but BMW made quite a few mistakes with my SMG updates and had to wait forever for updates to repair those screw-ups. The big difference is, I would have to set up an appointment with BMW, but with Tesla it's done over the air, which is amazingly convenient.

The fact a person and his/her family's life and everyone around him/her is at stake here, I would encourage them to take their time and get it right. We're not talking about updating you smartphone or laptop, it's something unique to the market and extremely dangerous.

It's frustrating, but let's show a little patients. Stressing engineers by constantly poking them is not the way I would go

BigD0g | 20 juin 2017

+1 Silver.

Also, can we please stop with the "car is learning". It's painfully obvious the car is not learning, the car is driving according to engineers algorithms and when a new update comes we get a new control algorithm based on feedback loops from the system and system refinements. The are using the machine learning for object recognition which should greatly speed up sign recognition and spacial reality, but for all those folks thinking the car is learning while we driving it's just not happening folks.

And before you jump all over me and say, but wait when I took this turn today it worked so much better then yesterday, it's because of your surroundings / environment was different then the day before, so the car selected a different algorithm.

croman | 20 juin 2017

The hacked backend revealed that Autopilot is indeed a series of driving control algos but there is machine learning going on, just not in each individual car. Each car is basically a test lab and it reports back its "discoveries" to the mothership which uses a giant computer to process that data and refine it with each firmware. The issue, to me, is that everyone is on many different flavors of firmware so making comparisons becomes even more difficult (I am on 17.17.17 and I find it to be more inconsistent than 17.17.4 which was the best firmware I've had yet).

Solarfan | 20 juin 2017

@BigD0g,

Regarding "car is learning". . . .
"it's because of your surroundings / environment was different then the day before, so the car selected a different algorithm."
Your theory matches mine. Sometimes, AP2 response is worse on a subsequent day, not better. I find that waiting for the screw-up causes more tension than just driving without AP2. I am willing to drive with AP2, if the tension produced results in improvement for us all.

Since we are emotionally and financially invested in Tesla, it seems that Tesla should share what the general goals of the current training or learning process is.

johnson.todd.r | 20 juin 2017

If you could park your car in a lane on a road and then just take snapshots every minute or so, you will get very different images depending on night/day, clouds moving over, other cars casting shadows, etc. To handle these the deep learning algorithms need a lot of examples and need to be designed to generalize to unseen situations. Unfortunately, recent work shows that we don't understand why they generalize. In fact, researchers have shown that you can carefully tweak images, such that humans cannot tell the difference between the original and the modified version, yet the net will misclassify the image with a high degree of certainty. For example, to us the image might be a panda, but the net will declare a high probability of it being a gibbon. More recent work showed that you can print these "adversarial images" out, take a photo with a smartphone and still fool the net. This is a huge security and safety flaw, because it not only means that we cannot easily predict what the deep net will do, but that an attacker could deliberately cause harm.

We have a long way to go before we get truly safe EAP and even longer before safe FSD. Given the massive amount of work in this area, and the number of positions that companies are hiring for, I have to wonder if Tesla (or any other company) has enough people working on it. Keeping people who can work in this area seems to be an issue. I'd also like to see papers coming out of Tesla. We see such papers from researchers working for MobilEye, Google, and Uber.

Check the Openai blog for a nice review of these issues. Look for "adversarial examples".

Pages