Forums

Autosteer & Adoptive Cruise Control

Autosteer & Adoptive Cruise Control

I'm sorry if I sound uninformed about this because I really am. I have read about recent Autosteer upgrades where the car can now go up to 80mph & change lanes. However the articles also say that emergency braking which is available in many cars now is not there in Tesla yet. Does that mean this is just a glorified cruise control that cannot adopt the speed to traffic conditions?
I have a really long commute through nasty traffic in patches and I'm hoping I can share some of the burden with my model 3 :)

eeb9 | 22 juin 2017

I think there was talk about Traffic-Aware Cruise Control,for the 3 - that would be the answer for the traffic management part of the equation, at least

Frank99 | 22 juin 2017

There's currently a disconnect between what Tesla wants to ship, and what they are shipping.

Last year, Tesla started building Model S/X with an updated suite of cameras/sensors so they could work on building their autonomous software, with an eye to upgrading customer's cars to Full Self Driving later. They had a falling out with Mobileye, who was providing their TACC, EAB, and other driver assist bits, and Mobileye picked up their software and left. Tesla has been trying hard to get their software up to the level that the older cars with Mobileye were at, and is nearly there.
I expect the Model 3 to have the same Hardware and sensors as the Model S, and I expect the driver assist software to be fully capable by the time I get my Model 3 - including EAB and TACC.

hoffmannjames | 22 juin 2017

The Model 3 will have the option of auto steer and traffic aware cruise control, called autopilot. So the Model 3 will able to adapt the speed to traffic conditions and stay in the lane during your commute. The Model 3 will also have automatic emergency braking since that has now been released in the latest update. So, you are good.

SUN 2 DRV | 22 juin 2017

I would LOVE to adopt traffic aware cruise control into my 2013 MS...... :-)

lilbean | 22 juin 2017

Lol, Sun!

Xerogas | 23 juin 2017

OP is asking if it has adaptive cruise control, meaning is can slow down and speed up during normal freeway traffic. The answer is yes. The article is referring to something different: emergency braking, which is not the same as regular adaptive cruise control.

JAD | 23 juin 2017

Emergency braking is for when you are driving, and the car sees something you don't. It will automatically stop the car for you. It is currently working at certain speeds and will be available at all speeds shortly on the S/X, and thus the 3 when it is release.

Adaptive cruise control will be an option that allows the car to follow the speed of traffic without you ever touching the pedals (except for stop sign and signals currently). Works great and will be available as part of the autopilot option. Autosteer is the other half of autopilot and is useful, but can't be 100% trusted yet, and thus is not Full Self driving, it is just an assist that makes driving much easier for now.

PhillyGal | 23 juin 2017

@sdsatish - there is (was up until a few days ago???) a difference in what a Tesla Model S/X with Autopilot version 1 hardware can do and what one with AP2 hardware can do.

Since October of 2015, my late 2014 Model S has been able to cruise highways on adaptive cruise control, keep lanes without me steering and even change lanes with just the flick of the turn signal. It's really great for long trips and should only be used on divided highways.

Newer cars have AP2 hardware and Tesla was a lot slower than it wanted to be on releasing the software updates that allowed it to even be capable of what the AP1 cars were capable of a year and a half ago.

Here's my take on how fantastic AP1 is:
https://www.teslarati.com/how-tesla-autopilot-changes-perception-of-driv...

sdsatish | 24 juin 2017

@PhillyGal - thanks for the explanation and link. It seems a lot to learn, but as the author mentions, it should all be second nature in a few days. But I wonder how easy/frustrating it is to switch between Tesla and regular car and in future between cars that have similar features but different methods to control them.
Maybe its time to arrive at some industry standards to avoid people pulling hair figuring out things in different cars...

ReD eXiLe ms us | 25 juin 2017

sdsatish: I never have seen any other car activate cruise control the same way as my Accord did over 25 years ago. I drove my Cousin's 2008 Toyota Sienna cross country a couple of times. The first trip it took something like 1,000 miles of driving before I figured out how to use the cruise control. The second trip it took a good 500 miles to figure it out again. Then, after someone else drove for a while, I still forgot about it and had to teach it to myself again. It took another 250 miles before I could. Something tells me it will be a long while before there is an actual industry standard means to activate cruise control or autonomous features on cars.

PhillyGal | 26 juin 2017

@sdsatish - I'm the author :)

But I do agree that it can be hard to switch cars. I drive a Hyundai more days than I drive a Tesla and I once kicked the Tesla into neutral when it started to rain because the stalks are opposite on both cars to control windshield wipers. (For the record, no harm was done.)

eeb9 | 26 juin 2017

Using cruise control *at all* is going to be a big change for me. I look forward to learning the Tesla version, and fortunately have no "other" CC habits to break...

Rutrow | 26 juin 2017

The cruise in my Jeep, and my Mini, and my wife's Honda, and my work Silverado are all different. Learning one new one won't be too hard since I have no hardwired habits either. I do turn on the windshield wipers in my wife's car on occasion.

andy.connor.e | 27 juin 2017

Model 3 comes standard with Auto-Coffee function. During autopilot activation, coffee will be brewed under the center console.

Rutrow | 27 juin 2017

I thought that was a coffee colored stain on the wood plank.

Nexxus | 27 juin 2017

All I want to know is, was it a boy or girl Cruise Control adopted? Oh wait, that was Coastal Cruiser... :-).